Author Topic: Andre Wisdom (previously on loan from Liverpool)  (Read 115077 times)

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

Re: Andre Wisdom (on loan from Liverpool)
« Reply #250 on: January 21, 2015, 10:20:16 AM »
Not aimed at anyone in particular but wouldn't it be nice if we could just sign a right back who can do the things that Andre can't? You know, like a 'proper' Premier League standard right back/footballer. Fifth year in the top flight and messing about with another club's player who would arguably struggle to hold down this position at any other top flight club.

As for him defending well, I rarely see it. Although he likes to stay in his own half he is still constantly out of position due to his own inflexibility. Opposition players do actually move from time to time. Thus he potentially unbalances those around him due to his inability to read the game and respond accordingly. At times those in front also need support from behind, all be it on the counter attack. This is not natural to him, he struggles.

We are currently getting away with Wisdom at the back because the team is now set up so defensively as a whole. He has not got any better.
The team are being asked to do different things ergo he does not look quite as bad as before. With this in mind I can to a degree see the case for him being in the side at the moment, but would personally prefer Baird on the right with Poc' on the left if we cannot recruit effectively.
Ideally I really think that we should be looking for better alternatives in both full back positions if at all possible.

Yes he works hard and I acknowledge that he puts his body in front of the ball when he can; I also genuinely thank him for his efforts.
Sorry but for me, I would definitely not be looking to bring Wisdom in on a full time basis any time soon.

Still, it's all about opinions.
 ;).
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #251 on: January 21, 2015, 01:01:31 PM »
Billy going forward was a bit gung ho compared to Wisdom who has far more time on the ball is more accurate with his passes, and whilst on the point of getting forward, how far forward do you want him to be he got into their penalty area last night which very few of our forward players managed to do.

it's not how far forward he gets it's what he does with the ball when he gets forward....Billy Jones looked to either put a decent cross in or get into the box himself, Wisdom looks to play a simple pass or passes backwards or loses possession and is then caught up field.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Baggies54

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #252 on: January 21, 2015, 05:34:12 PM »
it's not how far forward he gets it's what he does with the ball when he gets forward....Billy Jones looked to either put a decent cross in or get into the box himself, Wisdom looks to play a simple pass or passes backwards or loses possession and is then caught up field.

Sorry Hull Baggie but I think you have to have another look at Wisdom his passing game is ok, sorry for bringing in Billy as an example as I rated him, however we did let him go and he has not set Sunderland on fire.

Watch Wisdom closely next time baggies play as if you were a scout for another team and I'm sure you will see him in a different light.
"Scientific criticism has no nobler task than to shatter false beliefs".......

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #253 on: January 21, 2015, 05:50:42 PM »
Sorry Hull Baggie but I think you have to have another look at Wisdom his passing game is ok, sorry for bringing in Billy as an example as I rated him, however we did let him go and he has not set Sunderland on fire.

Watch Wisdom closely next time baggies play as if you were a scout for another team and I'm sure you will see him in a different light.

Fair points. I'm not particularly anti Wisdom...wish he'd cut out crosses and get forward more with a better end product . To be fair to Jones he has had terrible trouble with injuries so hasn't featured for Sunderland until very recently. I was gutted when Jones left but his trouble with injuries means we probably dodged a bullet.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #254 on: January 21, 2015, 05:54:19 PM »

He may pass ok but when he's in and around the box he's utterly useless, his crosses never beat the first man, I'm pretty sure when he played the "sublime pass" to Sess v Man U it was a miss hit.

I really think he's a terrible terrible player and we should put Baird at RB and Poco at left. Given up and let go of Gamboa ever starting.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #255 on: January 21, 2015, 06:14:29 PM »
Not aimed at anyone in particular but wouldn't it be nice if we could just sign a right back who can do the things that Andre can't? You know, like a 'proper' Premier League standard right back/footballer. Fifth year in the top flight and messing about with another club's player who would arguably struggle to hold down this position at any other top flight club.

As for him defending well, I rarely see it. Although he likes to stay in his own half he is still constantly out of position due to his own inflexibility. Opposition players do actually move from time to time. Thus he potentially unbalances those around him due to his inability to read the game and respond accordingly. At times those in front also need support from behind, all be it on the counter attack. This is not natural to him, he struggles.

We are currently getting away with Wisdom at the back because the team is now set up so defensively as a whole. He has not got any better.
The team are being asked to do different things ergo he does not look quite as bad as before. With this in mind I can to a degree see the case for him being in the side at the moment, but would personally prefer Baird on the right with Poc' on the left if we cannot recruit effectively.
Ideally I really think that we should be looking for better alternatives in both full back positions if at all possible.

Yes he works hard and I acknowledge that he puts his body in front of the ball when he can; I also genuinely thank him for his efforts.
Sorry but for me, I would definitely not be looking to bring Wisdom in on a full time basis any time soon.

Still, it's all about opinions.
 ;).

Well said - I agree
MAGA!

Gilsey 56

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #256 on: January 21, 2015, 06:43:11 PM »
Not a surprise to me that most of the recruiting staff have been sacked, the summer signings have been horendous and Norman is no different.
Poco was one of the signings i actually liked, would like to see him at LB and baird at RB as been said.
I think baird has done reasonably well since coming in.
In the beginning there was light.......Followed by the king Jeff Astle.

koren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #257 on: January 31, 2015, 03:53:12 PM »
He makes error every game,send him back to liverpool please,he has already cost us many points.
The PRIDE of midlands

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #258 on: January 31, 2015, 03:56:36 PM »
He makes error every game,send him back to liverpool please,he has already cost us many points.
I can only agree with everything you have said.
He is away from the man he is supposed to be marking thus allowing the player plenty of space to simply pass the ball into our danger areas.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #259 on: January 31, 2015, 04:15:13 PM »

Fine by me!

Jimmy

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #260 on: January 31, 2015, 04:52:02 PM »
Possibly one of Albions worst ever players.

koren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #261 on: January 31, 2015, 05:03:04 PM »
Possibly one of Albions worst ever players.
Even worse than Zuiverloon,Wisdom is too bulky and slow as a right back.
The PRIDE of midlands

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #262 on: January 31, 2015, 05:07:54 PM »
Worst right back i can remember.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #263 on: January 31, 2015, 05:11:20 PM »
He stands off from his opposition player.
Then if he does get the ball, he looks to either hoof it  or pass backwards.

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #264 on: January 31, 2015, 05:11:43 PM »
Terrible footballer at this level

kris_boing

• WBA Manager

« Reply #265 on: January 31, 2015, 05:15:19 PM »
I'd rather have Baird at right back and I slaughtered his signing at the start of the season.  Baird has proved me wrong to some extent as he has been solid if not spectacular.

koren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #266 on: January 31, 2015, 05:22:23 PM »
I'd rather have Baird at right back and I slaughtered his signing at the start of the season.  Baird has proved me wrong to some extent as he has been solid if not spectacular.
Agree,Baird plays well in recent games as a left back,I think he should replace Wisdom.
The PRIDE of midlands

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #267 on: January 31, 2015, 05:57:09 PM »
The sarcastic cheering of his substitution was pathetic.

Yes he isn't brilliant but I guess what doesn't help is when every mistake is reacted upon you've shot somebody in the face.

He's not brilliant but I don't think he's as bad as some make out either.

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

CL3MO

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #268 on: January 31, 2015, 06:22:48 PM »
The sarcastic cheering of his substitution was pathetic.

Yes he isn't brilliant but I guess what doesn't help is when every mistake is reacted upon you've shot somebody in the face.

He's not brilliant but I don't think he's as bad as some make out either.

He's very poor. How many times in a game does he let the man beat hiim and allow a dangerous ball to come into our box? He can't pass and whenever he has the ball at his feet he looks as uncomfortable as I've ever see a professional footballer.

Baird at rb for me.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #269 on: January 31, 2015, 06:24:20 PM »
I agree with you - there are many flaws to his game.

I also agree with you and have suggested myself that Baird should be at right back with Pocognoli on the left.

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Astle1968

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #270 on: January 31, 2015, 06:26:45 PM »
Go and check out the Oatcake forum. According to them Pulis wants 4 centre backs who retreat to the centre with the wide men effectively playing as full backs. He squeezes the penalty area and invites teams to cross the ball with the knowledge he has 4 CB's in there instead of 2.

I bet he couldn't believe his luck when he found we already had a full back on the books who not only is a natural centre back but retreats to the penalty area any time his man has the ball. The only way he is going to get dropped is if Pulis can find someone 4 inches taller

fatboy_coach

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #271 on: January 31, 2015, 07:27:42 PM »

I bet he couldn't believe his luck when he found we already had a full back on the books who not only is a natural centre back but retreats to the penalty area any time his man has the ball. The only way he is going to get dropped is if Pulis can find someone 4 inches taller

Presumably we'll play Dawson there once Jonas is fit to return to the centre?

In all seriousness and as others have said we must now assume that Wisdom has a minimum appearance clause in his contract as he appears to be undroppable.

Astle1968

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #272 on: January 31, 2015, 07:30:02 PM »
Dawson-gmac-lescott-olsson is something I'm pretty sure we will see at some point

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #273 on: January 31, 2015, 07:32:23 PM »
Dawson-gmac-lescott-olsson is something I'm pretty sure we will see at some point

We wont as Wisdom appears to be bullet proof!

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #274 on: January 31, 2015, 07:39:39 PM »
I happily joined in the celebrations as he was substituted. I feel this is the only way he will be dropped. Abysmal footballer. Goals galore from his side of the pitch.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.