Author Topic: Alan Irvine  (Read 1189488 times)

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

Re: Alan Irvine sacked by Albion
« Reply #400 on: June 15, 2014, 12:27:07 AM »
 :o this has to be a bad joke peace has to go what the foooook planet is this bloke on and does he give a toss about our club or fans relagation is the only word I can think of

ex coseley kid

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #401 on: June 15, 2014, 12:28:18 AM »
:o this has to be a bad joke peace has to go what the foooook planet is this bloke on and does he give a toss about our club or fans relagation is the only word I can think of

No. He does not give a toss about our club.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

weareblueweare white

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #402 on: June 15, 2014, 12:31:41 AM »
Again i agree with you , the Irvine appointment will either be a disaster or master stroke to be honest.
A masterstroke WTF :o

blue

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #403 on: June 15, 2014, 01:00:50 AM »
How can the word masterstroke be used when you have appointed a failed championship/ div 1 head coach/ manager.
Alan ivine is about as bad an appointment I can ever imagine.

Please someone wake me up from this nightmare.

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #404 on: June 15, 2014, 01:02:17 AM »
Missing the point.
We should not be on a wing and a prayer.
As a club starting our fifth successive season in the top-flight we should be able to attract someone better.
The problem is that the structure of the club is now wrong.
It might have worked in the past but it is obviously now deterring anyone from joining us.
We need a 'manager', not a head coach.
Wigan had NINE years in the PL, they still struggled to regularly pick up already good players. time in this league means nothing, mate..

You also say the make up is wrong, yet more clubs than ever employ it? ok then...

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #405 on: June 15, 2014, 01:05:26 AM »
Some of the early names mentioned, Jol Malkay Hughton who I wouldn't have wanted I would take now over this

Good point. I wasnt excited by any of these but if I was told that it was all a joke and we had appointed Hughton I'd now be ecstatic!

Bigrob80

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #406 on: June 15, 2014, 01:06:06 AM »
I am not spending a penny this year on shirt or tickets!
Very unimpressed with the quality of this appointment, can't see us adding any good players neither! Championship here we come.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #407 on: June 15, 2014, 01:11:54 AM »
I've never known such a consensus from the fans and even outside neutrals regarding the appointment of a manager, there's no divisions, there's no minority...everyone is in unison that this is a dreadful appointment which is telling.

You know why I think Peace has bought Irvine in? I think after Ashworth has gone he's panicked since last seasons shambles, and as seen in his recent interview he said how he wanted improvements, in other words I think he's realised how key Ashworth was. With this in mind, he's thought "what would Ashworth do?" and remembered that Ashworth would have seriously considered Irvine for the job alongside Di Matteo in '09. With this in mind he's thought Irvine has some quality about him as Ashworth was rarely wrong.

My beef is that it's been 5 years since Ashworth considered him. In this time Irvine has failed massively at two lower league clubs and has been out of management for nearly 5 years, which is why this appointment is so horrendous.

wbako

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #408 on: June 15, 2014, 01:21:19 AM »
In my supporting lifetime, which is about 30 odd years, we are in the best position we have ever been.  I did once think I would never see us play top flight football again.

See for me, football isn't just about league position.

I couldn't care less about what league we are in as long as the fans are at the heart of the club. That brings me to our current situation: Mr Peace is treating the fans like mugs. The news today is following on from a season which has had PR gaffe after PR gaffe. Peace then realised a statement admitting to mistakes and a promise to improve for the new season. There was also an intention, or so we thought, to bring in an manager with experience at the highest level who could change our fortunes. Instead we get Alan Irvine.

I am incredibly disillusioned at the moment. I have been going down the Albion for 20 years, home and away, but today was the last straw. I will not be attending next season. Many may think that makes me a bad supporter, but those who know me know how much Albion mean to me and wouldn't dream of accusing me of that.

Irvine could go on to be a success - for me, that's not the point. The point is those in charge have chose to lie to the fans of this club.
All time favourite player: Jan Kozak

Legend

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #409 on: June 15, 2014, 01:23:32 AM »
So what's Irvine's philosophy?
the regime don't like it man

baggieboyfred

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #410 on: June 15, 2014, 01:24:05 AM »
i am in the middle of a nightmare , i am sure i will wake up soon and find out that a proper manager with premiership experience has got the job, cannot believe JP has left Downing on the staff never mind appointing an academy coach from another club  with no worthwhile senior management experience to join him
I hope and pray i hold my hands up at the end of the season and say you were right , but i suspect i along with thousands of other baggies will be saying i told you so.
never in the 60 years i have supported this club, have i witnessed such a farce regarding the managers job, my mate did not renew his season ticket for next season , i reckon he must have known something i did 'n't

PsalmXXIII

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #411 on: June 15, 2014, 01:28:46 AM »
Playing Devils advocate here; how can anyone slate the club for making a statement about making improvements on last year when we haven't kicked a ball. He's uninspiring and a bizarre appointment, but you're comparing last season to an imaginary season you've made up in your head. You can't claim that the club have sold us for mugs claiming they've convinced us to renew on a promise of improvement when we won't know for months if that's true or not.

I'm not in favour of this appointment on any level, but until we have results to compare you can't say that the club have lied and we haven't rectified mistakes. If by some miracle this appointment works how many people will hold their hands up and say 'I jumped the gun'?

botters

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #412 on: June 15, 2014, 01:30:30 AM »
i am in the middle of a nightmare , i am sure i will wake up soon and find out that a proper manager with premiership experience has got the job, cannot believe JP has left Downing on the staff never mind appointing an academy coach from another club  with no worthwhile senior management experience to join him
I hope and pray i hold my hands up at the end of the season and say you were right , but i suspect i along with thousands of other baggies will be saying i told you so.
never in the 60 years i have supported this club, have i witnessed such a farce regarding the managers job, my mate did not renew his season ticket for next season , i reckon he must have known something i did 'n't

I didn't renew either I was waiting for the new head coach to be appointed and I suspected Peace would go for a cheap left field option. I don't even think he was ever going to offer Sherwood the job and just used him not agreeing terms with his assistants as an excuse. He treats our supporters as idiots but we can see through his smokescreen.

Pedro

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #413 on: June 15, 2014, 01:35:44 AM »
I have backed Peace through thick and thin...sadly I can't anymore. A bloke who just doesn't want it anymore. Underwhelmed I think they call it! I wasn't that excited about Sherwood but this just stinks!! How can this guy be any better than Clarke who was also brought in as a wonder coach!! Disgracefull Peace, no matter what you have done until now this is a complete kick in the teeth!!! This guy won't last half a season!! Utter rubbish, £800 on season tickets for that announcement !! After 5 weeks too!! Thanks for nothing!!!

Dudeshoes

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #414 on: June 15, 2014, 01:40:37 AM »
It wouldn't have taken many people by surprise if West Brom had chosen Tim Sherwood as Pepe Mel's replacement as it seemed like a perfect fit. However they seem to have caught everyone out by appointing former Preston North End and Sheffield Wednesday manager Alan Irvine.

At the age of 55, Irvine doesn't have a great deal of managerial experience and has mainly spent his time as a youth coach or in charge of academies. However in the summer of 2009 Irvine was in talks with West Brom with regards to becoming their manager following an impressive season in the Championship with Preston.

At the time The Baggies were looking to replace Tony Mowbray who had left to join Celtic and Alan Irvine had guided PNE to the play-offs before a poor display against Sheffield United ended their hopes of promotion. At the time Irvine claimed he rejected the job and they went on to appoint Roberto Di Matteo.

Since then Di Matteo has won the Champions League and Irvine was relegated with Sheffield Wednesday before returning to Everton as Academy manager. Irvine will now get his chance to manage at The Hawthorns having signed a 12-month rolling contract.

In Irvine's only full season in charge with Preston he took them to 6th place with a dramatic last minute goal at Deepdale, and from the outside it may look as if his dismissal just seven months later was harsh. It wasn't however, and Irvine's brand of football was boring the fans and wasn't picking up enough points anymore. Irvine had inherited a very good squad left over from the Billy Davies days whilst Paul Simpson had made some decent additions.

The Scot was given plenty of money to develop the squad but wasted it on players such as Neal Trotman and Richard Chaplow. In 2009 Preston had the chance to sign Charlie Adam but Irvine chose to sign Veliče Šumulikoski instead. (The 'Macedonian Gerrard' in case you didn't know). Adam went on to score 16 goals and almost on his own clinched promotion for Blackpool. Šumulikoski on the other hand played just 15 games for North End.

In 2011 Preston were relegated from the Championship and with the money that Irvine had wasted it was him who had started the ball rolling.

He also took Sheffield Wednesday down in 2010 and despite being given a big budget again by new owner Milan Mandaric he failed to build a side capable of challenging at the top of League One and was sacked with The Owls in 15th place.

Irvine's strengths certainly weren't in the transfer market or with tactics, he was however appreciated by the players and they were devastated when he left. He is respected at youth level in the Premier League and is credited with bringing players like Steven Taylor, Jack Rodwell and Ross Barkley in his time.

The 55-year-old isn't ready for Premier League management. It's a harsh environment to manage in and he will need to hit the ground running, there isn't time to slowly develop things at this level.

Tim Sherwood was the other man in contention and is thought to have rejected the job. Pepe Mel hadn't managed in the Premier League before and he wasn't deemed good enough, and whilst Irvine and his assistant Rob Kelly have experience in plenty of areas, the Premier League isn't one of them.

West Brom need to focus on their additions this summer and Irvine doesn't have a great track record with those. One positive is that he is likely to put his faith in the youth following his background and players such as Saido Berahino and George Thorne could come to the forefront.

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2014/06/14/jm-west-brom-have-made-a-huge-mistake-in-appointing-alan-irvine/?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 01:57:31 AM by Quakes Fan »

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #415 on: June 15, 2014, 01:58:21 AM »
So what's Irvine's philosophy?

He is a cut of the same cloth as Roy Hodgson. He will aim to get us incredibly organised and our patterns of play will be rigid and structured. There is very little room for attacking maneuver or flexibility. A large number of fans from both Preston and Sheffield Wednesday have referred to his football as boring, mind numbing so I would imagine we'll be opting for a defensive approach maybe relying on our counter attacking to get us points. I really cannot see us being adventurous and taking the game to our opponents and I would certainly say we'll see a lot of long balls.

I was talking to some of my Wednesday supporting mates earlier about him and they referred to him as a game of chess - players unsure where to go just incase they leave their rigid structure. He's very studious when it comes to detail but appears to get too bogged down in what the opposition are likely to do and therefore forgets what his own side should be doing.

I'm not expecting samba football, just defensive organsiation, boring football and 16,000 incredibly frustrated supporters who appear to have been sold down a river with this appointment.
Dexy : Dudleylad : kris_boing : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

hardtobeat

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #416 on: June 15, 2014, 02:07:24 AM »
Support a puppet ................never, he should not be allowed within a million miles of the club! no track record of any sort in the last 5 years, no track record at all in the premier league, a great track record....................of upsetting supporters at his last 2 clubs , Didnt expect Guardiola etc but this really does beggar belief!!
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

swad35

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #417 on: June 15, 2014, 02:08:02 AM »
I don't think I have ever been so disillusioned about our club, there almost appears to be a lack of respect or even contempt for the fans. What reaction did **** think he would get after this appointment.

Didn't expect a world beater but they're is not many managers I wouldn't take over this bloke.

Got to be a wind up.

Quakes Fan

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #418 on: June 15, 2014, 02:22:12 AM »
The Scot was given plenty of money to develop the squad but wasted it on players such as Neal Trotman and Richard Chaplow. In 2009 Preston had the chance to sign Charlie Adam but Irvine chose to sign Veliče Šumulikoski instead. (The 'Macedonian Gerrard' in case you didn't know). Adam went on to score 16 goals and almost on his own clinched promotion for Blackpool. Šumulikoski on the other hand played just 15 games for North End.

In 2011 Preston were relegated from the Championship and with the money that Irvine had wasted it was him who had started the ball rolling.

He also took Sheffield Wednesday down in 2010 and despite being given a big budget again by new owner Milan Mandaric he failed to build a side capable of challenging at the top of League One and was sacked with The Owls in 15th place.

Presumably such personnel moves will not be within his remit at The Hawthorns, and given his absence of reputation, he will have no leverage to alter that.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #419 on: June 15, 2014, 02:27:09 AM »
http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2014/06/14/jm-west-brom-have-made-a-huge-mistake-in-appointing-alan-irvine/?

That article is seriously depressing.

We are a Premier League football club, why don't we bloody act like one?
Dexy : Dudleylad : kris_boing : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

hardtobeat

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #420 on: June 15, 2014, 02:32:41 AM »
Did you forget to check this bit Jeremy

His CV leaves a lot to be desired, with spells at Preston and Sheffield Wednesday bearing little fruit. Certainly nothing to

muppet appoitment due diligence lmfao!!!
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

bigbaggieboy

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #421 on: June 15, 2014, 02:41:45 AM »
At the end of the day i know most fans want an enigmatic coach who excites us not just on the pitch but in the media, however i believe this to be a very good appointment, his only criticisms for his former jobs are that he spent his money incorrectly and played "boring" football, at the albion he will not be spending our money and we probably have most if not all of our targets set up already by burton and company. And in terms of style of play i'd just be happy to watch us win a few games this season especially at home which was a deflating (to say the least) place to be last season. Irvine is a fantastic coach who will unite the players which is what we truly need and get the most out of the youngsters such as thorne and the under performers such as morrison who must will be dying to work with somebody on their wavelength after the mel fiasco. lest not forget that the bulk of this squad got us eight a year ago and a few shrewd addditions (irvine being one of them) could take us back there. This should be seen as Burtons choice and we should have no reason to distrust him, Peace may be a fool but I don't think anyone should believe he has a major say in who is a good or bad coach when a man of burtons experience is in the fold

Atomic

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #422 on: June 15, 2014, 02:51:44 AM »
At the end of the day i know most fans want an enigmatic coach who excites us not just on the pitch but in the media, however i believe this to be a very good appointment, his only criticisms for his former jobs are that he spent his money incorrectly and played "boring" football, at the albion he will not be spending our money and we probably have most if not all of our targets set up already by burton and company. And in terms of style of play i'd just be happy to watch us win a few games this season especially at home which was a deflating (to say the least) place to be last season. Irvine is a fantastic coach who will unite the players which is what we truly need and get the most out of the youngsters such as thorne and the under performers such as morrison who must will be dying to work with somebody on their wavelength after the mel fiasco. lest not forget that the bulk of this squad got us eight a year ago and a few shrewd addditions (irvine being one of them) could take us back there. This should be seen as Burtons choice and we should have no reason to distrust him, Peace may be a fool but I don't think anyone should believe he has a major say in who is a good or bad coach when a man of burtons experience is in the fold

Look at the fan reaction to this appointment. Tell me one situation where there's been a fan reaction like this and the appointment has worked out successfully. I can't think of one.

This appointment has absolutely no chance of being a success.

robnewbold

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #423 on: June 15, 2014, 03:48:37 AM »
Just woke up and saw this. Can't be arsed anymore to be honest. Sick joke....at least it will be a popular decision with all the other PL fans.....one relegation place already sorted.

Andio

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #424 on: June 15, 2014, 03:51:14 AM »

I'll have a pint of whatever you've been drinking.