Author Topic: We are going down ?  (Read 54191 times)

crazedwbafan18

• Senior Baggie

Re: We are going down.
« Reply #100 on: March 31, 2014, 12:11:28 AM »
Did torture myself just by watching yesterdays highlights and although i feel so angry and annoyed at what happened right at the end yesterday i think the bigger picture is that we are starting to get some confidence back up front, and that can only be good. What it takes now is some no nonsense defending, and hopefully hit our opposition hard on the counter. We need to cut out the stupid preventable goals and aim to keep a clean sheet as long as we humanly can. Yes, we are 17th, but if Sunderland lose/draw tomorrow, they are still 3 points behind us and with a tough bunch of fixtures coming their way we have to hope they get sucker punched in every single one of them. I don't care about those above us now(bar Norwich), we have to just hope the 3 below keep delivering rubbish so we can just survive. Then it's really make or break post season, as to whether we have another miserable season or actually rebuild a little bit in the summer. The Mel philosophy will still deeply worry me at the back but we will hopefully add some quality/youthful players and give us a better chance next season. Keep the faith, i think we'll just about do this! Put this darn awful season to bed.

chipperclark

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #101 on: March 31, 2014, 01:04:32 AM »
 :D
Did torture myself just by watching yesterdays highlights and although i feel so angry and annoyed at what happened right at the end yesterday i think the bigger picture is that we are starting to get some confidence back up front, and that can only be good. What it takes now is some no nonsense defending, and hopefully hit our opposition hard on the counter. We need to cut out the stupid preventable goals and aim to keep a clean sheet as long as we humanly can. Yes, we are 17th, but if Sunderland lose/draw tomorrow, they are still 3 points behind us and with a tough bunch of fixtures coming their way we have to hope they get sucker punched in every single one of them. I don't care about those above us now(bar Norwich), we have to just hope the 3 below keep delivering rubbish so we can just survive. Then it's really make or break post season, as to whether we have another miserable season or actually rebuild a little bit in the summer. The Mel philosophy will still deeply worry me at the back but we will hopefully add some quality/youthful players and give us a better chance next season. Keep the faith, i think we'll just about do this! Put this darn awful season to bed.
:D Yeah and Fulham now probably occupy one of the three places after their loss to Everton.
We must also hope the top four perform when they play the " bottom "teams...except City when they play us. Don't think Spurs is such a scary fixture as their "wheels" have fallen off for the season.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 12:11:16 PM by kris_boing »

GrGr

• WBA Coach

« Reply #102 on: March 31, 2014, 01:22:15 AM »
Fulham are still not down. They are improving under Magath and have the easiest fixture list of the threatened clubs remaining. We are coming to the point of the season where a few of the safe mid table teams will start to switch off as well so who knows where our rivals will take up bonus points.

This team doesn't win 'must win' games but can fluke an odd win here and there. Generally we play better against the 'better' teams like Tottenham. I can see something like

Norwich - draw
Tottenham - win
City - loss
West Ham - draw
Arsenal - loss
Sunderland - ?? toss a coin
Stoke - ?? Stoke will be decidedly on the beach but they are a bogey team so who knows.

We simply must win one of the Sunderland or Stoke games to be safe. This season will go to the final game unfortunately.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #103 on: March 31, 2014, 06:26:29 AM »
I think we have to rely on 3 teams being worse than we are to stay up.
I do fear for us TBH.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

chipperclark

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #104 on: March 31, 2014, 07:09:11 AM »
 ;D For those who missed THE GREAT ESCAPE...??? Stand by for a repeat performance on the last day...hope its a "fairy tale ending" for us ??

Jack Russell

• WBA Coach

« Reply #105 on: March 31, 2014, 07:46:41 AM »
Norwich is massive, biggest game of the season so far.We put them right in the poo if we win. Its an intimidating place with all them rattles and yellow tops though
WOOF WOOF  I always come I always care but sometimes bite

mulliganstired

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #106 on: March 31, 2014, 09:38:56 AM »
It's still in our hands, isn't it?  No-one expected a win at Swansea, but we had the rub of the green that day.  Given the absolute chaos at the club, the fact that we can still save ourselves gives me hope.  It really is time for the senior pros like Olsson, back from a nice rest, to step up and get those 2 wins.

The mathematical permutations narrow dramatically as the games slip away, and we are still clear of the bottom 3, so come on everyone, let's get that dodgy pen we're due, or one in off someones shoulder.  Boing boing.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 10:22:10 AM by mulliganstired »

Mr Cynical

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #107 on: March 31, 2014, 02:08:19 PM »
I'm sure the likes of Hodgson or Pulis would. We've chosen the wrong type of manager for the job in hand. Mel isn't good enough IMO. The board have to take full responsibility for this.

I think that the criteria that we put around the selection process was very restrictive and meant that we had a very limited choice.  Head Coach - we had to find someone with a lack of ego to accept this title and not 'manager'. Available (or low fee) meant that we had to find someone who had failed somewhere else and therefore was not working or someone working at a lower level (with potential) with an insignificant fee.  Someone who didn't want to bring their own team of coaches - OK there was, eventually, some compromise on this one - but this could be part of the problem in getting the team to understand Mel's strategies too - i.e. his coaches could have been more effective in getting his ideas over to the players. Can Downing and Kiely coach players on how to play the pressing game?

Mr Cynical

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #108 on: March 31, 2014, 02:26:32 PM »
I will be a lot more confident if we can get Olsson, Yacob, Anichebe and Jones back in the team.  (And Statham too if he's match fit.)

If we'd had Olsson and Yacob available I don't think we'd have lost on Saturday.  (<---I just typed that - that's how it felt anyway, we won that game twice and came away with 1 point!)

We've somehow managed to go from our biggest and strongest squad ever (beginning of September) which Steve Clarke thought we needed to get through our normal winter slump.  Now - on saturday - 
- we have no proven/experienced strikers
- we started with a number of players we'd have considered peripheral, reserves at the beginning of the season - Reid, Dawson, Dorrans, Vydra
- we had more peripheral, reserves on the bench - O'Neil, Roofe, Berahino, Theivy

The decision I couldn't understand on Saturday was bringing on Berahino for Amalfitano.  We were winning at the time.  Surely Gera would have been a better replacement on the right?  Much more disciplined and useful for defending.

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #109 on: March 31, 2014, 02:44:45 PM »
I will be a lot more confident if we can get Olsson, Yacob, Anichebe and Jones back in the team.  (And Statham too if he's match fit.)

If we'd had Olsson and Yacob available I don't think we'd have lost on Saturday.  (<---I just typed that - that's how it felt anyway, we won that game twice and came away with 1 point!)

We've somehow managed to go from our biggest and strongest squad ever (beginning of September) which Steve Clarke thought we needed to get through our normal winter slump.  Now - on saturday - 
- we have no proven/experienced strikers
- we started with a number of players we'd have considered peripheral, reserves at the beginning of the season - Reid, Dawson, Dorrans, Vydra
- we had more peripheral, reserves on the bench - O'Neil, Roofe, Berahino, Theivy

The decision I couldn't understand on Saturday was bringing on Berahino for Amalfitano.  We were winning at the time.  Surely Gera would have been a better replacement on the right?  Much more disciplined and useful for defending.

If Berahino hadn't come on would we have got the 3rd goal??

If's, But's and Maybe's....the problem lies in not holding onto the ball when we had the chance
Dexy : Dudleylad : kris_boing : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

Tatnam baggie

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #110 on: March 31, 2014, 06:45:30 PM »
I'm not going to lie,I'm still really disappointed ,mad,sad, sick & all those other emotions after the Cardiff match, but coming from someone who is always negative, even my mates & family all call me B Negative. I'm trying to put the last 3 games & Norwich coming up in to perspective. Surly we are 1 point better off at this stage. Swansea away ( should of had nothing,usual Swansea match they batter us 1st halve.  Should of been out of sight. ( bonus 3 points). Hull city, old players always haunt us, & long did.(0 points.) Cardiff,  should win but didnt,Albion never win must win so called 6 pointers. ( 1 point.) Every season in the prem around this time of the season these sought of games  always end in dramatic draws. So a point at Norwich wouldn't be too bad,3 bloody excerlent, as every Albion fan knows we are more likely to beat Spurs & West Ham, than Norwich? It keeps them in the pack with a really tough run in. We also have a better squad than previous relegation battles? Lets just all give the Albion are best support like Albion fans do best. We just have to believe that WBA can do it and stay up!

don1thedon

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #111 on: March 31, 2014, 06:50:53 PM »
.... Lets just all give the Albion are best support like Albion fans do best. We just have to believe that WBA can do it and stay up!
+1 COYB

Gilsey 56

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #112 on: March 31, 2014, 08:56:44 PM »
I am still trying to work out how the hell we are still not in the bottom three after the season we have had.
Our record in the premiership without Olson is awful, every time he is out we really struggle so that's a big plus if he is back and i think Jacob is our best player this season so it would be massive to have them both back.
How can we have left Dorrans out of the team for so long is absolutely mind blowing , he looked a very good player on Saturday and with a bit of luck ( for a change ) we just might get out of it.

ex coseley kid

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #113 on: March 31, 2014, 09:01:10 PM »
I am still trying to work out how the hell we are still not in the bottom three after the season we have had.
Our record in the premiership without Olson is awful, every time he is out we really struggle so that's a big plus if he is back and i think Jacob is our best player this season so it would be massive to have them both back.
How can we have left Dorrans out of the team for so long is absolutely mind blowing , he looked a very good player on Saturday and with a bit of luck ( for a change ) we just might get out of it.

Because, because, because, we have been pretty poor at times but i honestly believe we have been good too on occasion. Most of all, as it's been said, there some bloody awful teams alongside us.

I'm going to take a punt at 14th/15th, but would happily say 'I'm an idiot and know nothing' as long as we were 17th.

Agree with the Dorrans comment BTW.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

Greenock Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #114 on: March 31, 2014, 10:00:35 PM »
Handed yet another lifeline tonight with West Ham beat Blunderland !!

How many chances are we going to squander before we actually take advantage and put ourselves safe FFS!!!

Talk about taking the p*** !!!
He's a lad from the Wrenna

Baggy nerd

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #115 on: March 31, 2014, 10:20:04 PM »
We would have been 6 points clear with cigar out!

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #116 on: March 31, 2014, 10:28:07 PM »
As annoying as Sat was at least we played probably the best we have under Mel so far attacking wise , to add to that we had several key / senior players missing.
Norwich is going to be a hard match , they will surely come out flying at us again but I'm hoping a refreshed Olsson will help us defend better . If we can field a near fit Yacob and maybe even Jones we have a bit more of a team to compete. Stopping Snodgrass is key to this and if we can come back with something it may well kick our season on.
Dexy : Dudleylad : kris_boing : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

alex1

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #117 on: March 31, 2014, 10:32:01 PM »
Well done West ham. Was listening on the radio about Nolan taking the ball to the corner flag during the final seconds to run down the clock. One thing you could have guarenteed with Big Sam teams!
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

crazedwbafan18

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #118 on: March 31, 2014, 11:38:54 PM »
let's be honest folks, the only way we are beating the drop currently is by there being 3 worse teams than ourselves. Simple as really, and out of the bottom 3, cardiff look the most threatening to me, as they can score and have some winnable fixtures coming up... Thankfully west ham and everton have helped us this weekend, but we might not be as lucky in weekends to follow so we have to help ourselves, starting at norwich.

GrGr

• WBA Coach

« Reply #119 on: March 31, 2014, 11:58:45 PM »
let's be honest folks, the only way we are beating the drop currently is by there being 3 worse teams than ourselves. Simple as really, and out of the bottom 3, cardiff look the most threatening to me, as they can score and have some winnable fixtures coming up... Thankfully west ham and everton have helped us this weekend, but we might not be as lucky in weekends to follow so we have to help ourselves, starting at norwich.

So to recap

1. We need other teams to help us out because we are too ***** to win games.
2. We need to start winning to help us avoid the drop.

These two don't really mix do they. We all hope we will manage to survive but frankly and honestly it will be a bit of a miracle if we do.

Jack Russell

• WBA Coach

« Reply #120 on: April 01, 2014, 12:03:05 AM »
all our rival fans message boards say they are going down.We are all in the same boat

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

« Reply #121 on: April 01, 2014, 08:22:49 AM »
Watching the Sunderland game last night and they looked very poor indeed. The form of Adam Johnson is only there really hope of staying up. Looking at their next four game I don't see them getting a win they could be as good as relegated by the time they play Cardiff.
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

wbarenno

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #122 on: April 02, 2014, 09:24:50 AM »
By the sounds of it anichebe is going to be back saturday and if we can get yacob,jones and brunt back fully fit for the west ham,sunderland and stoke games then i think we will just have enough. A draw saturday and beat west ham and stoke will be enough i think(36 pts)

crazedwbafan18

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #123 on: April 02, 2014, 12:13:24 PM »

http://norwichcity.myfootballwriter.com/2014/03/26/for-the-beautiful-game-read-the-angry-game-why-the-constant-bickering-and-conflict/

I think this writer has it spot on. Nowadays, everything is always about anger in the game. Decisions, errors, losing games always seem to be the worst thing possible thing or a 'massive blow' of some sort.

Jack Russell

• WBA Coach

« Reply #124 on: April 03, 2014, 02:46:01 PM »
Lets just wait and see what attitude we have on Saturday