West Brom Dot Com

Author Topic: Boxing Thread  (Read 110655 times)

Offline Scooby Doo

• Reserve Baggie
Re: Boxing Thread
« Reply #825 on: June 05, 2019, 09:43:14 PM »
Only a handful of times has Joshua gone into the ring against an opponent with genuine belief. On every occasion he has ended up in trouble. It's a shame as it's really effected his willingness to open up in the ring.

The too slow and too immobile comments are laughable. What he has been is incredibly over hyped. Ruiz went in there with belief and put him to bed. Amazing performance.

Joshua is an absolute athlete but against Klitschko he was truly shown up and that fight really changed my opinion of him as a boxer. I still think he will overhaul his backroom operation and comeback mind. People bang on about the power of Wilder, yes his KO record is phenomenal but AJ's isn't bad either. He's just not as flamboyant as Wilder.

Callum Smith meanwhile continues to show why he could go on to be as good as Joe Calzaghe in terms being a dominant undefeated British force. Animal.

Offline Adder

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie
« Reply #826 on: June 05, 2019, 10:26:21 PM »
The BBC 5 Live podcast Costello and Bunce is worth a listen. So many theories and factors being discussed around this fight, including the amount of stuff going on around Joshua in New York. He's very marketable and generally very popular but he was doing a lot of promotional, appearance stuff on top of some pretty testing sparring/training and a lot of media stuff as well and spending a lot of time stuck in New York traffic.
Didn't Lennox Lewis used to take himself off to the Catskill mountains away from it all to prepare ?

Offline BB74

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #827 on: June 16, 2019, 08:09:32 PM »
Can’t wait to see Fury get in the ring with AJ. Regardless of opponent, the head movement by Fury was something special.

Offline Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager
« Reply #828 on: June 16, 2019, 08:24:48 PM »
Can’t wait to see Fury get in the ring with AJ. Regardless of opponent, the head movement by Fury was something special.
I'd sooner see another Fury v Wilder , can't deny Fury puts on a show one way or the other !
B_H_Baggie : Dexy : Dudleylad : kris_boing : OldburyWBA
Hull Baggie : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : Political Cake : tommcneill : WBArgo

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

Offline caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie
« Reply #829 on: June 16, 2019, 09:30:23 PM »
Grandson Tom Stokes from West Brom fights for the Midlands middleweight title on 21st july.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/other-sport/tom-stokes-midlands-middleweight-title-16424693

Offline smethwick2

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #830 on: August 30, 2019, 09:54:33 AM »
Great fight set for tomorrow night, Lomachenko vs Campbell with a great undercard. Can't see past a Loma win though, future Hall of Famer for sure. Undercard is also interesting, Hughie Fury vs Povetkin is a good match up allow us to see what Hughie is made of against an experienced and tough fighter. I do think he gets more media attention than he warrants though due to his last name but he is a little younger than his cousin so can still work his way up the rankings

Offline Atomic

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #831 on: August 30, 2019, 11:33:51 AM »
Great fight set for tomorrow night, Lomachenko vs Campbell with a great undercard. Can't see past a Loma win though, future Hall of Famer for sure. Undercard is also interesting, Hughie Fury vs Povetkin is a good match up allow us to see what Hughie is made of against an experienced and tough fighter. I do think he gets more media attention than he warrants though due to his last name but he is a little younger than his cousin so can still work his way up the rankings

The Fury / Povetkin fight is a pick'em for me. Fury is younger, bigger and should win really if he has any chance of succeeding at world level but Povetkin is still decent and I'm not so certain Fury will prevail.

If Campbell beats Lomachenko it's up there with the greatest shocks of all time (far more so than Joshua v Ruiz). Loma is P4P probably number one in the world right now and is pretty damn special. Campbell is decent in his own right but Loma, surely, is just too much for him.

Offline smethwick2

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #832 on: August 30, 2019, 01:24:32 PM »

The Fury / Povetkin fight is a pick'em for me. Fury is younger, bigger and should win really if he has any chance of succeeding at world level but Povetkin is still decent and I'm not so certain Fury will prevail.

If Campbell beats Lomachenko it's up there with the greatest shocks of all time (far more so than Joshua v Ruiz). Loma is P4P probably number one in the world right now and is pretty damn special. Campbell is decent in his own right but Loma, surely, is just too much for him.

Can't disagree with any of this, its a must win for Fury really if he wants to go past being a British/European challenger. Buatsi also on the undercard again but should be a straight forward enough win for him, showed what he was made of with a great performance against Gorman previously

Online Albionic

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie
« Reply #833 on: August 30, 2019, 02:47:49 PM »
Can't disagree with any of this, its a must win for Fury really if he wants to go past being a British/European challenger. Buatsi also on the undercard again but should be a straight forward enough win for him, showed what he was made of with a great performance against Gorman previously
Povetkin is quality, I don't see Fury winning against him (despite Povetkins age (40?))
Lovin the championship, just lovin it !

Offline kris_boing

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager
« Reply #834 on: August 30, 2019, 05:27:27 PM »
Povetkin will KO Fury.

Really hope Campbell shows more than Crolla against Loma. Crolla just stood there in front of him and Loma just boxed his head off. Campbell's gotta get up close, use his size advantage and go for the body. His only chance. Hope he does it but I can only see a points win for Loma.
B_H_Baggie : Dexy : Dudleylad : kris_boing : OldburyWBA
Hull Baggie : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : Political Cake : tommcneill : WBArgo

Online wbako

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #835 on: August 30, 2019, 05:39:39 PM »
My picks for the fights:
Lomachenko TKO over Campbell in the later rounds
Povetkin UD over Fury
Edwards vs Aguilar is a pick'em fight but I'll go with Edwards on a close decision
There should also be comfortable wins for Cordina and Buatsi

Should be a good night of boxing.
All time favourite player: Jan Kozak

Online Albionic

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie
« Reply #836 on: August 31, 2019, 11:41:44 PM »
Loma given a good run out by Campbell, brave from the brit, but the better fighter won

Fury outclassed, needs to retire
Lovin the championship, just lovin it !