Author Topic: The Cricket Thread  (Read 416848 times)

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

Re: England Cricket Thread
« Reply #450 on: May 09, 2015, 05:30:50 PM »
Welcome Michael Bevan ;)

Has he been appointed or is it just speculation /wishful thinking?

Might bring a bit of Ozzie grit with him if he is appointed
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #451 on: May 11, 2015, 05:29:21 PM »
Kevin Peterson on 250 not out, does he get on with Strauss
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #452 on: May 11, 2015, 06:45:18 PM »
Kevin Peterson on 250 not out, does he get on with Strauss

I think there's a mutual hatred between the two

Strauss referred to him as a 'c***t' last year on live television.

It was accidental but it was nothing we already knew.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

BobTaylor

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #453 on: May 11, 2015, 07:14:37 PM »
300 unbeaten.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #454 on: May 11, 2015, 07:17:37 PM »
Fantastic knock and the highest of his professional career I think, but I can't see it making any difference to his selection, I think England have move on from KP, unfortunately.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

BobTaylor

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #455 on: May 11, 2015, 07:45:02 PM »
Has a meeting with Strauss tonight he's just said on ssn.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #456 on: May 12, 2015, 08:07:32 AM »
another bad decision from the ECB
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

BobTaylor

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #457 on: May 12, 2015, 10:59:59 AM »
Vaughan was right cricket should be fun pick your best players and leave it at that England just seem to complicate it to much with politics.

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #458 on: May 12, 2015, 11:24:45 AM »
Dropped four times...won't always be that lucky

He/him

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #459 on: May 12, 2015, 11:31:32 AM »
Dropped four times...won't always be that lucky

i wonder how many palms were greased,
(see what i did)  :D
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #460 on: May 12, 2015, 11:53:24 AM »
I think its a disgrace and and insult how they have treated KP.

The new ECB chairman told him to give up his IPL contract and come play County Cricket to be considered for England, he does that and knocks a career best at the crease and then gets dropped again.

I rode the crest of the wave after the 2005 Ashes series and really started to enjoy cricket again....the ECB and its cronies found the best way to screw it all up.

KP just needs to keep scoring runs and they cant keep ignoring him or fans will start asking for heads to roll or not buy tickets anymore.

The ECB is draconian in the way it treats its best players and has been for over 30 years ive watched cricket

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #461 on: May 12, 2015, 02:21:37 PM »
I admit I am no great cricket fan, but
isn't KP
a) 34 years old
b) south african (lots of precedents i know)
c) a disruptive influence
d) historically more motivated by IPL cash than England caps

e) hugely talented.

My personal view he is not a team player and cricket is a team game. I wouldn't entertain him if i was a selector
Albion Family !!!

BobTaylor

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #462 on: May 12, 2015, 02:44:40 PM »
Saying he was dropped four times after making 355 is just ridiculous if you ask me, shame it couldn't be resolved got to move on now next test starts next Thursday I believe.

DaveWBA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #463 on: May 12, 2015, 02:45:15 PM »
To rule him out all together I feel is premature, however his form during his last 18 months of test cricket was poor by his own high standards and his average is currently the lowest it's ever been in test cricket I believe, albeit still hovering around 48.

Add that to the fact that the only decent thing going for the England side at the moment is a functioning middle order I think you'd be mad to disrupt the development of Ballance, Root, Ali and to a lesser extent Stokes and Buttler in order to shoe-horn him into the side. The only player there who could be pushed down the order is Moeen but the ECB are far from convinced that his bowling is of a good enough level to be our front-line spinner.

At this moment in time I don't think he'd get in the team, regardless of prior misdemeanor. Whether this is still the case following the Ashes in the summer and the winter tour of South Africa remains to be seen.

I still think Strauss is a bit of a knob, mind. The way Graves and the ECB have handled the last 18 months is nothing short of a joke. Interesting tweet from former South African captain Graeme Smith this morning if anyone saw it?

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #464 on: May 12, 2015, 02:55:21 PM »
Pietersen's his own worst enemy.
Should have kept his mouth shut, now way back for him.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #465 on: May 12, 2015, 03:04:59 PM »
To rule him out all together I feel is premature, however his form during his last 18 months of test cricket was poor by his own high standards and his average is currently the lowest it's ever been in test cricket I believe, albeit still hovering around 48.

Add that to the fact that the only decent thing going for the England side at the moment is a functioning middle order I think you'd be mad to disrupt the development of Ballance, Root, Ali and to a lesser extent Stokes and Buttler in order to shoe-horn him into the side. The only player there who could be pushed down the order is Moeen but the ECB are far from convinced that his bowling is of a good enough level to be our front-line spinner.

At this moment in time I don't think he'd get in the team, regardless of prior misdemeanor. Whether this is still the case following the Ashes in the summer and the winter tour of South Africa remains to be seen.

I still think Strauss is a bit of a knob, mind. The way Graves and the ECB have handled the last 18 months is nothing short of a joke. Interesting tweet from former South African captain Graeme Smith this morning if anyone saw it?

About the "head boy making ECB a laughing stock again !"
Does make you wonder if KP is just pushing the buttons of english cricket to exact some sort of revenge ! Clever and effective if true!
Albion Family !!!

DaveWBA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #466 on: May 12, 2015, 03:18:25 PM »
About the "head boy making ECB a laughing stock again !"
Does make you wonder if KP is just pushing the buttons of english cricket to exact some sort of revenge ! Clever and effective if true!

It's no surprise that KP has the South Africans onside. From a completely outside perspective it would come across as KP being punished for not being as sterile and functional as the rest of the squad Flower created, that was his way. His face fitted when it was all going well, the second it fell apart he became the scapegoat despite being nowhere near the worst performer.

The previous regime will move into the next as long as Strauss (Flower MK II) in particular has a say behind the scenes. Cook I like, and should be taken out of the spotlight a bit given his return to form. I genuinely don't think AC has had much of a say in this.

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #467 on: May 12, 2015, 04:41:22 PM »
I admit I am no great cricket fan, but
isn't KP
a) 34 years old
b) south african (lots of precedents i know)
c) a disruptive influence
d) historically more motivated by IPL cash than England caps

e) hugely talented.

My personal view he is not a team player and cricket is a team game. I wouldn't entertain him if i was a selector

a) he is 34
b) he was born in South Africa yes but considers himself English...and he is our highest scorer in all formats (he is not South African and if it is to be used against him now then it should have been used against him when he first started playing)
c) rumours are that he can be disruptive......rumours also tell us that many of the players in the squad were very close to him and didnt feel he was, there are also rumours that others in the squad bullied him...believe what you will
d) too become the highest scorer in all formats takes a lot of games and a lot of dedication also him giving up his IPL contract to concentrate on county cricket to put himself back in the England squad kind puts that story too bed....load of rubbish that is!
e) best batsman England has still

as for your quote of not a team player....I didnt see anyone calling him out when we won The Ashes in 2005??

you need mavericks and individuals in any squad, you need players that can and do deliver on the big stage when called upon.

Its a disgrace and the ECB and its selectors should be ashamed of themselves for treating English crickets greatest batsman of all time in such an insulting manner

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #468 on: May 12, 2015, 05:19:24 PM »
 I respect KP for what he has done for English Cricket and for what he has achieved whilst playing for England, he was a breath of fresh air, a fearless warrior with a belligerent attitude, loved it.

Here is a man that has stood up to the most sever of examinations of his mental and physical strength in some of the most hostile of sporting venues and non more so than the MCG, I for one find it difficult to accept that a man of that character would allow himself to be bullied, but I don't know all that went on in the England dressing room.

Sadly, I think it's too late for KP now, but I will always have and treasure memories of his time as an England Cricketer, nothing will diminish that for me.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

M666EYS

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #469 on: May 12, 2015, 06:18:31 PM »
If he was an aussie or a south african he would be playing. That says it all.
West Bromwich Born, Greets Green Bred

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #470 on: May 12, 2015, 06:37:24 PM »
He has been a nuisance throughout his career and those at the ECB have had enough.

He's created many of his own problems - granted the ECB haven't been squeaky clean.

Falling out with the head coaches, texting opponents, resigning from one day cricket so he can feather his own nest in the IPL and then writing a book which did nothing but criticise his 'team-mates'.

It's not hard to see why Strauss doesn't want him back.

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #471 on: May 12, 2015, 06:44:22 PM »
Yes the book is the type of thing a player would do when his career is finished and he knows he's not going to share a dressing room with those players again. To expect to return and all things to be rosy in the dressing room is asking a bit much.

Unfortunately he's ended up very unpopular in every team he's played for.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #472 on: May 12, 2015, 08:07:41 PM »
He has been a nuisance throughout his career and those at the ECB have had enough.

He's created many of his own problems - granted the ECB haven't been squeaky clean.

Falling out with the head coaches, texting opponents, resigning from one day cricket so he can feather his own nest in the IPL and then writing a book which did nothing but criticise his 'team-mates'.

It's not hard to see why Strauss doesn't want him back.

I think it's more the ECB and rumour has it, that's if you believe rumours, that Stewart and Vaughan tuned the job down because they wanted KP to play.

Although Strauss does have issues with KP and begs the question whether skill, ability and form should be the overriding  artiber in sport for the sake of the fans.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 08:57:25 PM by AlbionFan »
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

wbako

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #473 on: May 12, 2015, 08:40:50 PM »
Strauss comes out of this very badly. Pick your best players, of which, Pieterson is one.
All time favourite player: Jan Kozak

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #474 on: May 12, 2015, 09:28:55 PM »
Strauss comes out of this very badly. Pick your best players, of which, Pieterson is one.

Unless the decision has been taken by someone above the head of Strauss. The whole thing stinks of politics to me.