West Brom Dot Com

Author Topic: After Match Debate  (Read 7516 times)

Offline liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie
Re: After Match Debate
« Reply #75 on: May 15, 2019, 01:05:42 AM »
Not got home yet,just stopped off for some food but I must say that I agree with everything that Atomic said,nighty night fellow baggies.

Offline baggieboyfred

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #76 on: May 15, 2019, 01:17:46 AM »
superb performance tonight, players left everything on the pitch , at least we won the game, I point the finger at Shan and his aides, again very poor game management, two midfield players both on yellow cards and knackered , what did they think would happen if he left them on the pitch did he not learn from the Gayle situation on Saturday, Brunts sending off was a nailed on certainty once he had left him on the pitch. what instructions was he giving Leko we needed a player to stay up front in xtra time especially when they were getting a number of corners etc , but what happened everybody went back inviting them to push everyone forward, and there was no outlet ball. and whoever worked out the penalty shootout by sending young Holgate up first, yes we were short of takers once we lost brunt and  J Rod being taken off , but surely the senior pros should have stepped up first , as the last 3 penalties showed.
one thing is for certain a new manager will need a clear out and new blood must come in for next season we are a mile off being ready for the premier league, I just hope we do not have to wait to long
 before we return

Offline BalisPen

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #77 on: May 15, 2019, 01:40:54 AM »
I can't ever remember a time when I've been more proud of our team. My god. Everything went against us over the two legs and to force extra time given everything that happened to us was a near miracle, an unbelievably gutsy effort.

Villa weren't going to score tonight whatever happened, we were a brick wall of a team foe once.

To get as far as we did and lose on penalties is just damn cruel. As always happens though in a huge match between us and the scum they always win through one way or another.

Just think, if the ref had done his job properly in the first leg and given us a penalty for Abraham's barge on Holgate we'd almost certainly have won the tie.

I hope whoever they get at Wembley turns them over.

We couldn't even get a break on which end the pens were taken.

The officiating and cheating from the S cum just reminded me of raging bull when la motta is forced to lose but he says to Robinson, you never got me down Ray, you never got me down, as he held on to the ropes, bloodied and battered.

You may have cheated your way to the final, but they didn't batter us like they boasted they would do with their 10 wins in a row c rap.

Please God let Leeds win their next two games.

Offline alex1

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #78 on: May 15, 2019, 01:41:29 AM »
superb performance tonight, players left everything on the pitch , at least we won the game, I point the finger at Shan and his aides, again very poor game management, two midfield players both on yellow cards and knackered , what did they think would happen if he left them on the pitch did he not learn from the Gayle situation on Saturday, Brunts sending off was a nailed on certainty once he had left him on the pitch. what instructions was he giving Leko we needed a player to stay up front in xtra time especially when they were getting a number of corners etc , but what happened everybody went back inviting them to push everyone forward, and there was no outlet ball. and whoever worked out the penalty shootout by sending young Holgate up first, yes we were short of takers once we lost brunt and  J Rod being taken off , but surely the senior pros should have stepped up first , as the last 3 penalties showed.
one thing is for certain a new manager will need a clear out and new blood must come in for next season we are a mile off being ready for the premier league, I just hope we do not have to wait to long
 before we return
We were so short of first team regulars that we didn't have the luxury of taking off anyone who wasn't shattered. Wondering if JRod fell into that category, as it would have been strange taking him off with the real possibility of pens. Leko and Harper made very little contribution.
But, in the end we were only one last shot away from a Play-Off Final appearance
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 01:43:16 AM by alex1 »
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

Offline beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #79 on: May 15, 2019, 02:06:31 AM »
The tie was lost in the first leg. The sending off to Gayle hurt us. Brunt going today didn't help. Gayle on pitch today we would have won in 90 minutes.

Can't fault the players to a man they ran through walls for the cause. I am proud of them. On that showing I can't see villa winning in a final. We as good as gifted them it over 2 legs
O Albion we love you

Offline BalisPen

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #80 on: May 15, 2019, 03:10:54 AM »
The tie was lost in the first leg. The sending off to Gayle hurt us. Brunt going today didn't help. Gayle on pitch today we would have won in 90 minutes.

Can't fault the players to a man they ran through walls for the cause. I am proud of them. On that showing I can't see villa winning in a final. We as good as gifted them it over 2 legs

We didn't gift it to them the ref scott gifted it to them.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 03:53:02 AM by BalisPen »

Offline westbrom3wolves0

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #81 on: May 15, 2019, 03:29:13 AM »
Absolute sickener. Everything besides Brunt’s red card was perfect; the fans, the effort from the lads - spot on. Just a shame that Extra Time ended with the 10 men that were on the pitch, 6 of which were defenders. Not ideal for penalties - but not going to complain about that. Only thing I would have wished was that Mozza took the first pen, score your first one to ease the pressure a bit. Was very surprised to see Holgate take the first pen followed by Hegazi (I think).

It was a great great effort from everyone at the club today and despite the refs decisions and two red cards and the tactics/subs of Shan that we will never agree on collectively, we can hold our heads high and Villa know that they were very very lucky to be going through.

Hopefully this works in our favor and we can get to some much needed rebuilding, beginning with a new manager and a Rondon deal involving Gayle.

We’ve needed a clear out for the past 2-3 seasons, perhaps more. Let’s get some new blood in the squad and look to give it a real go next season.

Proud of the lads, given our half a dozen decent/good performances this season, all I was hoping for going into this game was a 100% effort from the players and the atmosphere to match, and it did. Can’t ask for much more than that.

Proud baggie.
NYC Baggie, originally from Cannock.

Offline baggie38

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #82 on: May 15, 2019, 05:37:13 AM »
Fans blaming Brunt need to give their head a wobble I'm sorry but if Hegazi just got rid and didn't put him in a awkward situation he wouldn't of had to commit that challenge. The person who needs to take the blame for this season is that dwarf Jenkins.

Offline baggie82

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #83 on: May 15, 2019, 05:42:35 AM »
Fans blaming Brunt need to give their head a wobble I'm sorry but if Hegazi just got rid and didn't put him in a awkward situation he wouldn't of had to commit that challenge. The person who needs to take the blame for this season is that dwarf Jenkins.

Don’t agree but what about his first yellow for going straight threw McGinn on the half-way line? Has he not done that it wouldn’t have been such a problem. That’s what put him on a tight rope.

Offline tuamigos

• WBA Manager
« Reply #84 on: May 15, 2019, 06:55:59 AM »
Well its the morning after the night before.
So proud of the players and fans last night, been a while since we had an atmosphere like that.
Brunty didn't cost us a place at Wembly, two poor transfer windows cost us that.
Not bringing in another striker and some legs in the middle of the park cost us last night and most of the season.
Brunty's challenge was rash, especially being on a yellow but you watch the replay and the reaction of the scum players. Straight in the refs face, led by pikey Jack.
I wouldn't blame any of the players last night we got behind them and they delivered.
We played 40 minutes last night with 10 men against the might of scum village.
I'm not dissapointed at all, but I will be if we don't appoint a proper manager and give him the tools to do a proper job.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Offline tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager
« Reply #85 on: May 15, 2019, 07:26:52 AM »
This has hit me hard...I’m receiving messages from ‘friends’ who haven’t spoken to me in months, this is why I hate Villa fans!!

So proud of the team last night, it deserved more.

Interested in what happens next at this club, but a rebuild is required from top to bottom
B_H_Baggie : Dexy : Dudleylad : kris_boing : OldburyWBA
Hull Baggie : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : Political Cake : tommcneill : WBArgo

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

Offline Albertbaggie

• Junior Baggie
« Reply #86 on: May 15, 2019, 07:34:28 AM »
Well its the morning after the night before.
So proud of the players and fans last night, been a while since we had an atmosphere like that.
Brunty didn't cost us a place at Wembly, two poor transfer windows cost us that.
Not bringing in another striker and some legs in the middle of the park cost us last night and most of the season.
Brunty's challenge was rash, especially being on a yellow but you watch the replay and the reaction of the scum players. Straight in the refs face, led by pikey Jack.
I wouldn't blame any of the players last night we got behind them and they delivered.
We played 40 minutes last night with 10 men against the might of scum village.
I'm not dissapointed at all, but I will be if we don't appoint a proper manager and give him the tools to do a proper job.
They really are masters at it - horrible set of players in the mirror of their manager.

Offline royhan

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #87 on: May 15, 2019, 08:13:01 AM »
I still can't believe that we didn't put Montero on last night. He is a potential match winner and yet we put Leko on and he's done nothing for two seasons.

Offline wbawill

• Junior Baggie
« Reply #88 on: May 15, 2019, 08:13:27 AM »
They really are masters at it - horrible set of players in the mirror of their manager.

If the Villa fans are proud of the way their players acted over the two legs, then they deserve them. They were absolutely pathetic - falling all over the place, faking injuries, in the ref's face. Disgraceful team.

On a side note, was anyone else surprised how poor the Villa fans were? Barely heard a peep from them all game.

Offline hunsletbaggie

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #89 on: May 15, 2019, 08:14:08 AM »
It's going to be hard to get over this I hate the Vile so much just hope they get f**ked in the final.
 Can't fault the fans and the players effort last night it just wasn't meant to be for us we need to rebuild now.
 One small crumb of comfort is I don't think Kyle Bartley is the worst ever player to put on an Albion shirt like some people have been making out thought he's had two very good games in what has been the pressure cooker of the play offs.

Offline NJS

• Junior Baggie
« Reply #90 on: May 15, 2019, 08:33:28 AM »
Why oh why do we allow teams tlo come that close to our area?

Because our midfield is slow so retreats to our back line early leaving no-one to dispute the middle of the pitch (as below)?

As you say, but way before that (I am on about the past 3 seasons) we just kept retreating and giving away the ground to those who want to win games.
We can only score if we are in their half, and more than likely stop them scoring too.
Stop being the "cowardly lion" side and go for the jugular.

Also usual cowardly delay of substitutions until they have no chance of making a difference.  No worth in making a substitution as late as time wasting time.  Need a manager who believes in what he's doing and is not cowed by senior players.

Hales Owen born.  "No rational argument will have a rational effect on a man who does not want to adopt a rational attitude."  Karl Popper
"You can be so irrational at times." Mrs NJS

Offline baggiemart

• Junior Baggie
« Reply #91 on: May 15, 2019, 08:35:24 AM »
Disappointed losing to the scum. No sorry they didn't beat us !  But not disappointed about not going up.  Were not ready.  Every player on that field gave their all last night and I am so proud of them and all our fans. The atmosphere was on a par with 1993 Swansea the only difference then we wasn't playing against the referee and a load of cheats.  I will be cheering Leeds on down the pub when they play the vile in the final and I don't give a s**t if there are Vile fans in there neither.   The vile are no good. If there players are any good why aren't they playing in the prem now !!!

Everybody keep the faith. We have now lost in 2 play offs in the championship ................   and the next season got promotion automatic on both occassions. 

Offline TiptonThrostle

• Junior Baggie
« Reply #92 on: May 15, 2019, 08:48:46 AM »
how anyone on here can say villa deserved that over 2 legs is beyond me. do not understand that at all.

over the 2 legs it was very close which is why it went to penalties, but suspensions and poor management inevitably cost us unfortunately. with just one fit striker we had to set up the way we did last night and didnt have much going forward despite especially second half being the better team.

we didnt fail over the 2 legs though, we have been failing for 18 months with pathetic decisions at board room level. giving Pulis too much time, appointing a complete idiot (Pardew), and giving a huge job to a very inexperienced manager (Moore) and then not appointing a suitable replacement.

we have to learn from our mistakes sooner rather than later.

Offline baggies_24

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #93 on: May 15, 2019, 08:49:17 AM »
The mighty Villa couldn’t score against us in 120 minutes last night (40 of those down to 10 men) and over the 2 games were in the lead for what 8 minutes? Had we had a full selection to choose from and had Gayle been available and not received a ridiculous sending off we’d have done them 3 or 4 last night. Fingers crossed there crying again at Wembley this year really is last chance saloon for them if they don’t go up McGinn & the rat are off and the’l be in some serious trouble over the financial fair play.

Offline Mister AT

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #94 on: May 15, 2019, 09:03:10 AM »
Extremely proud of the team this morning.

All we ever ask for is for our players to put a shift in and look like they care, they did exactly that last night and some of them looked absolutely dead on their feet.

Thought Hegazi was outstanding, has had Abraham in his pocket over the 2 legs. Also thought Bartley had a good game and looks more solid than he did start of the season.

The biggest disappointment for me was Murphy, he looks shot of confidence, there was a moment in the game where he had a 50/50 with one of their lads in the middle of the park, his chance to smash someone and get the fans behind him and he bottled it.

I know its now pointless but also thought Tosin looked quite good in the defensive midfield role. Leko didn't really give us much of an outlet, would have been better to throw Montero on.

We wont see a few of those in a WBA shirt again, but you can't say they didn't give it their all.

Man for man though, well done to the lads, I came away from the ground with a sense of pride rather than disappointment. This summer is going to be huge for the club, we have a new manager to get in and a rebuild of the squad. Just hope we pull our finger out and get some of it done early.

Offline Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #95 on: May 15, 2019, 09:15:22 AM »
Have to be honest and say I felt immensely proud of the club as a whole last night.

This season has been an utter shambles that began with the appointment of Moore and ended in Jimmy Shan taking charge of a play semi final, and it could all have been so different had we made the right appointment to begin with, however, I will save all of that for an end of season review thread. Focusing solely on last night, the fans were absolutely amazing, the support throughout was beyond belief, even at times when I was flagging in the singing and gasping for water, I was spurred on by those around me and it was vociferous to the end. The seals, I felt, were embarrassing and I had forgotten that they were there until Abraham slotted home the final penalty.

Cruel really to lose in such a fashion. The big moments just did not go for us over the two legs, Brunt deserved to be sent off last night, but it all stemmed fro the only mistake Hegazi made all night (not counting the penalty) and so I find it hard to overly criticise either. It is such a shame that it was probably the last we will see of Ahmed who I feel has been superb for us since signing, an absolute mountain of a man.

11 v 11 I only saw one winner, but thereafter we had little or no hope, ending up with no penalty takers on the pitch. Tosin was superb when he came on and I would like to see us try and keep hold of him, Holgate and Gayle for next season. I was extremely disappointed with all of the front three who offered very little during the game and showed why the loss of Gayle was such a blow as Jay Rod just isn't in the same league I'm afraid.

Proud. It's all you can be of last night. We gave a good account of ourselves and were unlucky in the end, but we showed the nation how we can be as a football club and I imagine will have won a number of admirers in the process.

Also, keep the stadium announcer from last night. It's the first time I could hear what was being said over the tannoy.

Offline SmethDan

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #96 on: May 15, 2019, 09:27:10 AM »
I can't fault the player's effort and application last night. I'd just like to know where that 'thou shalt not pass' mentality was for most of the season. Too many points dropped as too many games passed us by.

The support from the stands was superb in the most part last night, far more so than deserved by Jenkins and Lai. Lions led by absolute fkn donkeys, hang your heads in shame the pair of you. Clueless, passionless muppets. WE ARE ALBION, not you. What's more is that you never will be.

COYB and SOTV 8) .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Offline BoingFlyer

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #97 on: May 15, 2019, 09:58:41 AM »

All that possession and you still could not best a depleted first team of 10 men for a chunk of the game.

See you next season in the chump league.
Make Mercia Great Again. #MMGA

Offline ronnie_allen

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #98 on: May 15, 2019, 09:59:12 AM »
Through gritted teeth, congrats McSkittle. Presume you hammered us on expected goals. Shan managed a strategy for the games. Given our deficiencies in the back line all season we had to tighten up. Happy to play on break at Villa Park and keep it tight and then with Rodriguez our only forward, we had no real out ball.

Probably right about Abraham. He barely laid a hand on us (unlike with the ball when he was trying to score). Our back three who have been torn apsrt regularly were pretty comfortable over the 210 minutes, 50 down a man and with one key player missing for another 40 odd minutes.

Think it was tight. Villa probably had morr quality on the pitch but were cagey themselves. Struggled with clear chances, with a penalty from the wing and a worldy shot which we left too much space for. Other than that, Johnstone only had one in close save to make.

We were more physical alright. Ye were.looking to go down and get on side of referee, which cost ye with Mings tumbling down against Rodriguez. Ye also had some gamesmanship with carrying the ball anytime we had a free or throw to.prevent a quick attack. Gayle first speaking to for.taking time with a throw came after Mings bought the ball in field letting Villa defence recover and then when we.looked to.readjust we effectively got penalised.

Littls between sides over the games and Villa quality at having decent set of penalty takers at end saw ye sneak through an even tie in my opinion.

Offline kc56wba

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie
« Reply #99 on: May 15, 2019, 10:03:40 AM »
I am utterly gutted at losing to the vile scum and to lose on penalties has made it ten times worse, but I aye come on here to moan about the players, the managers we have had, nor the board, not even the useless catering staff on the concourse of the East Stand. I aye even going to moan that there was no Bathams on sale last night.

I have come on here to say I was so proud of our fans last night, the atmosphere was brilliant,  aye seen it like that for many a year. 

ATID and as always SOTV
Smethwick Born, Tipton Bred. Worcester Oldie.