West Brom Dot Com

Author Topic: Next manager...  (Read 177726 times)

Offline Aztech

• Senior Baggie
Re: Next manager...
« Reply #2150 on: May 16, 2019, 09:42:16 PM »
I am really impressed with everyone's knowledge of Lincoln City, maybe some of you might try watching the Baggies sometime. ;)

You are not Mark Jenkins are you?

Oblivious to the strengths and weakness of alternative management options!  ;)
It is not the taking part, but the winning that counts.

Offline smosher34

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #2151 on: May 16, 2019, 09:54:56 PM »

What's Dion Dublin up to?
homes under the hammer :D

Offline Mo

• Junior Baggie
« Reply #2152 on: May 16, 2019, 10:30:12 PM »
Look, I can't profess to have seen much of Lincoln (think I've seen about 2 games in two seasons), but it can't be as bad as people are saying, surely?

I watched Brighton against Spurs a few weeks ago and it made Pulis look like total football.

If I was a Brighton fan i would have been raging at that performance it was cowardly.

Offline BalisPen

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #2153 on: May 16, 2019, 10:31:44 PM »

What's Dion Dublin up to?

Probably trying to avoid Alex Ferguson and his measuring tape in the showers.

Offline iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #2154 on: May 16, 2019, 10:56:06 PM »
You are not Mark Jenkins are you?

Oblivious to the strengths and weakness of alternative management options!  ;)
Not at all, I will be there home and away whoever the manager is, not getting stressed about it, all this "if it's him that's me finished" nonsense. I know quite a lot about Chris Hughton and his career, I know little of Danny Cowley, except that he is a winner in the lower leagues .There is no guarantee that any manager will fit the bill. Too many managers being being labelled as "Pulis type" on here based on heresay.
As for Mark Jenkins , he has a big decision to make, and he has already made mistakes , but he is not entirely to blame for the position we are in. His predecessors who paid £100k per week to players who contributed nothing to the club are more culpable.
I have some empathy with the guy, whoever he chooses will be the wrong choice for many.......we wait with bated breath

Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

Offline albionden

• WBA Newbie
« Reply #2155 on: May 16, 2019, 11:16:55 PM »
In 180mins of football against Wolves last season, Hughtons Brighton managed 1 shot on target in total (admittedly it did result in a 1-0 victory) Is this the type of football we really want to watch ?

Offline Standaman

• WBA Coach
« Reply #2156 on: May 16, 2019, 11:35:20 PM »
I agree with the comment that there does not seem to be a consistent thread in the candidates that the board are considering

Jokanović, Neil, Hughton, Vieira, and Cowley. The only consistent theme is results in that they all have got teams promoted with the exception of Vieira. Yet in terms of style they could not be more divergent. Obviously the huge proviso is that all of this is speculation based on media reports and if you ditched the more pragmatic options looks a lot less scattergun. It is questionable based on the reports if the board have a clear idea of what they want to achieve with this appointment other than casting around for the quickest route to promotion.

It takes little or no effort to find out that Cowley's style is Pulisball. Lincoln's style of play is noteworthy because even by league 2 standards it is pretty basic and there is plenty of informed comment to that effect.

I think we should get Hughton in at this stage and stop messing around. Then give him the biggest budget we can and move heaven and earth to resign Gayle permanently. Without him we are screwed.

The 2 things are mutually incompatible. Get Hughton who plays with a lone target man and then pull out all the stops to recruit a player who does not fit the bill. If you want Gayle then you need a manager whose teams pass the ball and line up in a 3-5-2 or a 4-3-3.

In 180mins of football against Wolves last season, Hughtons Brighton managed 1 shot on target in total (admittedly it did result in a 1-0 victory) Is this the type of football we really want to watch ?

No not really but assuming he has a squad which is above average in the Championship it won't be quite that crabby next season the problem arises if we get promotion.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Offline BalisPen

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #2157 on: May 16, 2019, 11:36:25 PM »

No, I prefer to lose 5-4 every week and a drop to tier 3.

Offline albionden

• WBA Newbie
« Reply #2158 on: May 16, 2019, 11:50:21 PM »
here's a novelty, how about somewhere between the two ? ? ? 

Offline BalisPen

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #2159 on: May 17, 2019, 12:26:35 AM »
here's a novelty, how about somewhere between the two ? ? ?

Hughton is in the middle, as his goals for in tier 2 far exceeds pulis, but he clearly has a problem, like most in the prem finding a prolific striker.

Get a good scouting system and with a bit of luck we find more odemwingies and lakaku's and less brown ideye's and we can progress.

He got to a fa cup semi (with all those extra games with a smallish squad and replays) and prem safety, yet here are some turning their nose up to him too.

Reality check, Pep ain't coming.

Offline hunsletbaggie

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #2160 on: May 17, 2019, 08:11:09 AM »
I like the sound of Cowley, he is clearly a great manager at the lower levels...whether that can be translated to the Championship is unknown, but he is somewhat experienced with a good track record. I know the Sheffield United manager started under similar lower-league circumstances.

In terms of ugly football, Hughton isn't too far off Pulis anyway.
Isn't it at Lincoln where they play a bloody air raid siren every time they get a corner.
Says it all for me no!

Offline Standaman

• WBA Coach
« Reply #2161 on: May 17, 2019, 08:34:56 AM »
Hughton is in the middle, as his goals for in tier 2 far exceeds pulis, but he clearly has a problem, like most in the prem finding a prolific striker.

Get a good scouting system and with a bit of luck we find more odemwingies and lakaku's and less brown ideye's and we can progress.

He got to a fa cup semi (with all those extra games with a smallish squad and replays) and prem safety, yet here are some turning their nose up to him too.

Reality check, Pep ain't coming.

The Pep to Pulis scale. Two extremes is there a happy medium? If Pulis is zero and Pep 10 who is 5? It is not possible to be less attacking than Pulis so almost by default everybody else is at least 1. In the Premier League it probably is Nunes.

Although most coaches  don't sit in the middle ground most cluster toward one end or other of scale. Either fundametally defensive in their approach or attack minded.

If you look at Hughton's Brighton this season they have low possession and low shot volumes not just in comparison with the top 6 but their peers. Bolt Agüero onto the front of the team and it still might not fix the problem. The argument might be better applied to Huddersfield or Cardiff.

I think you have to accept that Hughton's Brighton were properly bad this year. That is fine he has plenty of depth to his CV that suggests in the right environment he would be a decent appointment.

Oddly enough looking at similar stats for Nice would suggest that Vieria was a coach who lacked the striker. His team posted only slightly below average shot numbers had the third highest possession but a really poor scoring record.

Isn't it at Lincoln where they play a bloody air raid siren every time they get a corner.
Says it all for me no!

It is!! Seriously No just No. I think we are being played here leak the rumour it could be Cowley and Hughton suddenly looks like Pep.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Offline Pie

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #2162 on: May 17, 2019, 08:41:37 AM »
Says it all for me no!

Yes it is, I went to watch Linoln v Yeovil (some of my mates are Yeovil fans and I went along for a laugh and a night out).

The first time the siren went off I wet myself at the hilarity of it (after initially thinking a fire alarm had gone off).

The game itself was atrocious, the fact that Yeovil were in terrible form about to be relegated, and Lincoln top of the league they hardly blew them away. It was a scrappy 1-0 to Lincoln. I know it's a one off game and I haven't seen Lincoln play otherwise but I wouldn't be excited at the prospect of Cowley.

Offline phbaggies

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie
« Reply #2163 on: May 17, 2019, 08:54:42 AM »
At the end of the day does it really matter who we want or who we don't want? We have no say whatsoever in it so whoever it is we will have to get behind anyway
12/02/12 - wo1ve5 #weshouldhavehadten

Offline hardtobeat

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #2164 on: May 17, 2019, 09:01:51 AM »
At the end of the day does it really matter who we want or who we don't want? We have no say whatsoever in it so whoever it is we will have to get behind anyway
I think it matters certainly. It matters to people who are undecided about buying or renewing a season ticket for example. Should the new coach be perceived to be Pulisesque then many undecideds probably wouldn't get one should we appoint Bob Taylor for example the tkt office staff would get killed in the rush to buy so yes it matters !! ;D ;D
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

Offline skyclad99

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #2165 on: May 17, 2019, 09:32:37 AM »

It matters to me ph, I feel as though I was forced into buying my two season tickets early without knowing what I was actually signing up to. I did not know what division we would be in, or who the manager will be. Football is in the entertainment business, and I want to be entertained. Having scoffed at many who said that they would not set foot in the ground whilst Pulis was there, I can now see their point. When I purchased my tickets over the phone I made a point of asking the lady if I can claim a full refund if they appoint Allardyce as the next manager. She did not say but did indicate that Mr Bung would not be at our club.

So it does matter, as I have no intention of sitting through dire Pulis type tactics again... life is too short for that. 
What have we done?
And what have we become
In this distance from our Mother
From the gates of late Eden?

Offline phbaggies

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie
« Reply #2166 on: May 17, 2019, 09:36:55 AM »
It matters to me ph, I feel as though I was forced into buying my two season tickets early without knowing what I was actually signing up to. I did not know what division we would be in, or who the manager will be. Football is in the entertainment business, and I want to be entertained. Having scoffed at many who said that they would not set foot in the ground whilst Pulis was there, I can now see their point. When I purchased my tickets over the phone I made a point of asking the lady if I can claim a full refund if they appoint Allardyce as the next manager. She did not say but did indicate that Mr Bung would not be at our club.

So it does matter, as I have no intention of sitting through dire Pulis type tactics again... life is too short for that.

My point is we can all say we want Joe Bloggs because of his style of football or we dont want John Bloggs because of his type of football but we dont get a say in it, the club chooses and we have to deal with it. The choice then is do we go week in week out and support the stripes or do we stay away because we dont like a manager? I will go regardless and I will have a season ticket regardless
12/02/12 - wo1ve5 #weshouldhavehadten

Offline iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #2167 on: May 17, 2019, 10:08:49 AM »
My point is we can all say we want Joe Bloggs because of his style of football or we dont want John Bloggs because of his type of football but we dont get a say in it, the club chooses and we have to deal with it. The choice then is do we go week in week out and support the stripes or do we stay away because we dont like a manager? I will go regardless and I will have a season ticket regardless
Good on you mate, totally agree
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

Offline NathWBA

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #2168 on: May 17, 2019, 10:23:52 AM »

The refund policy on stilecards states it’s the clubs discretion, so it would be a case by case basis, would they refund because someone doesn’t like a manager? Doubtful.
I doubt the ticket office lady would be able to confirm that allardyce will not be manager of the club, I doubt she’s privy to that sort of info.
Whilst I do like to be entertained the brand of football wouldn’t be enough to stop me going to support the team, managers come and go, it’s not the manager I support it’s the club.
The Lord's My Sheperd I'll Not Want
He Makes Me Down To Lie,
In Pastures Green,He Leadeth Me,
The Quiet Waters By.

Offline baggiemart

• Junior Baggie
« Reply #2169 on: May 17, 2019, 10:35:53 AM »
Whoever we get as manager not everyone is going to be happy.

I'm a fan of route one football. It gets results and it puts the opponents defence under increased pressure and we don't get into trouble passing it around at the back.  A tactic that has cost us many points this season.  So a manager who brings that is okay with me.

Other people like the passing out from the back. But if a manager brings that game you have got to have the players to play that game. Two managers that have been mentioned on here, Alex Neal and Graham Potter employ this tactic and look what we did to them at the Hawthorns.

Offline Adder

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie
« Reply #2170 on: May 17, 2019, 10:48:50 AM »
Whoever we get as manager not everyone is going to be happy.

I'm a fan of route one football. It gets results and it puts the opponents defence under increased pressure and we don't get into trouble passing it around at the back.  A tactic that has cost us many points this season.  So a manager who brings that is okay with me.

Other people like the passing out from the back. But if a manager brings that game you have got to have the players to play that game. Two managers that have been mentioned on here, Alex Neal and Graham Potter employ this tactic and look what we did to them at the Hawthorns.
It's not as simple as saying 'look what we did to them at the Hawthorns' though. Potter has been introducing his style and using a lot of younger players....it doesn't work instantly or 100% of the time. They still caused us plenty of problems at the Hawthorns and were without their main goal scorer.

Offline baggiemart

• Junior Baggie
« Reply #2171 on: May 17, 2019, 11:04:19 AM »
It's not as simple as saying 'look what we did to them at the Hawthorns' though. Potter has been introducing his style and using a lot of younger players....it doesn't work instantly or 100% of the time. They still caused us plenty of problems at the Hawthorns and were without their main goal scorer.

You get nothing for causing problems, it was 3 - 0  !!! .  So you would be happy with us playing that type of football and losing 3 - 0 .  Football is a results game.  We have been  a better side since Darren Moore and Graeme Jones have left the club. I am sure the mood on these boards would be more positive if we had gained promotion with a more direct approach.  Sometimes you have to live in the real world. There are only 2 sides in the country who play attractive football and get results and they both finished miles ahead of the rest at the top of the premier league after spending Millions.

Offline gazberg

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #2172 on: May 17, 2019, 11:08:49 AM »
After all is said and done I don't care who comes in and how they play as long as they sort this mess out, clearout the dead weight and get us back up.

Retaiined playing list going up today apparently. Dread to see who is retained.

Offline skyclad99

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #2173 on: May 17, 2019, 11:20:04 AM »

Many did when Pulis was there, that was obvious from this forum.

I am likely to go regardless because I too have a season ticket [two actually]. I think some are taking my comments a bit too seriously about the refund - I am aware that it is at the clubs discretion, and my comment to the ticket lady was tongue in cheek. I seriously do not think that she is connected any more than the journalist who said that we were interested in speaking to Hughton. However, should we appoint Allardyce, for devilment I will write to the club..... :)

As a hypothetical situation, if Pulis leaves Middlesborough tomorrow and we appoint him on a 3 year contract, what would you do? Its all a matter of choice, I am a no bigger fan than you or anyone else, but the thought of watching that rubbish again for 3 years completely turns me off, and yes I probably would give it a miss. There are no prizes handed out for never missing a match or going home and away, I have done all of that myself in the past. I do not think for one second that Jake Livermore [or many other players] in his fancy Lamborghini is bothered whether you go or not to be honest.

At the moment the club has no ambition and we seem to be bimbling from one disaster to another. There is a bloke in Jersey who is absolutely laughing all the way to the bank at our clubs expense [and some on here want him back!! WTF] and we are now owned by a chap who does not seem to care and has not given any indication that he is going to put a penny back into the club. Regardless of what division we were going to be in next year our current team will be broken up due to age, end of contracts, loanees returning to their parent clubs, and some players wanting to leave etc and there is no indication that we are going to be in a position to replace them with the quality of player required to get out of this division. With the reduction in the parachute payment this year [which I believe has already been borrowed against] I seriously worry about where we are going. 

My personal view is that we are in serious trouble. I am seeing no evidence to the contrary. The appointment of the next manager is essential, but we have got it wrong so many times before, so what are the chances that the board will get this one right? I am not hopeful and given their frugality you know that it is going to be a cheap and cheerful appointment. I would not be at all surprised in the slighest that it is Shan [and again, no disrespect to him].

I want to see a young, hungry Albion team managed by an up and coming manager who has ambition and wants to win. At this moment we have none of that, and no sign that this will be the case in the future. As someone else said, if you go week in week out regardless then 'good on you'. I will probably do the same in all honesty, but to get back to the original point, it does matter who we appoint and I would like to think that the club will take notice of how the supporters feel. However, with the Albion I do not think that this is the case. Their appointment will be based on cost, not long term ambition or capability.

Rant over.
What have we done?
And what have we become
In this distance from our Mother
From the gates of late Eden?

Offline seteefeet

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #2174 on: May 17, 2019, 11:41:33 AM »
Pulis has left Boro.
Be afraid, be very afraid  :-X