West Brom Dot Com

Author Topic: Next manager...  (Read 177724 times)

Offline baggiemart

• Junior Baggie
Re: Next manager...
« Reply #2000 on: May 15, 2019, 08:44:15 AM »
Mcinnes could be a good shout.  However, I keep thinking of up and coming lower league managers who have done well and I keep coming back to the one name .........  Lee Bowyer.  He's done well at Charlton and the advantage of bringing in lower league managers is that they know the good players from that league.  This would be the ideal step for Bowyer if he fails to get Charlton promoted.

Offline overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #2001 on: May 15, 2019, 08:45:40 AM »
I can see it being a straight choice between Appleton and Hughton. My worry is that Appleton has already been promised it if we were staying down. And then Hughton became available.

In many ways Hughton is the perfect fit right now.  Has got 3 teams promoted and kept Brighton there with the PL’s third lowest wage bill. A very decent manager at this level and is just what we need right now. If he gets us up then we can worry about what to do next.

Offline overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #2002 on: May 15, 2019, 08:47:38 AM »
Mcinnes could be a good shout.  However, I keep thinking of up and coming lower league managers who have done well and I keep coming back to the one name .........  Lee Bowyer.  He's done well at Charlton and the advantage of bringing in lower league managers is that they know the good players from that league.  This would be the ideal step for Bowyer if he fails to get Charlton promoted.

Not McInnes. We MUST stop these bloody romantic appointments just because he was a player hero here.   His managerial record would not cause him to be considered if he didn’t have the club connection.

Offline pete

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #2003 on: May 15, 2019, 09:25:07 AM »
Kiss and make up sex is the best around, after all its better than no sex!

Offline ashn

• WBA Newbie
« Reply #2004 on: May 15, 2019, 09:29:54 AM »

Offline pete

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #2005 on: May 15, 2019, 09:31:07 AM »
This is a Brighton newspaper - it is the Brighton job.
I know, it was a joke, maybe a smiley face next time!  ;)
Kiss and make up sex is the best around, after all its better than no sex!

Offline BB74

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #2006 on: May 15, 2019, 09:31:18 AM »

Offline royhan

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #2007 on: May 15, 2019, 09:32:18 AM »
Chris Coleman has just been sacked by a Chinese club that he had managed for the past 11 months. He'd lost a raft of players and his wife claims they wanted to leave before the start of the season.This season Hebei China are one place off the bottom of the table with only one win and two draws in their opening nine games of the season. Could be a possibility or is it more likely that he will end up at Swansea when Potter leaves?

Offline ashn

• WBA Newbie
« Reply #2008 on: May 15, 2019, 09:35:17 AM »
 ;) Good one
I know, it was a joke, maybe a smiley face next time!  ;)

Offline Mister AT

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #2009 on: May 15, 2019, 09:35:47 AM »
Appletons name wouldn't even be mentioned if he wasn't a former player, same goes with McInnes.

We need to stop with this whole sentiment thing when it comes to the manager, it didn't work with DM and it wont work with the next one.

If Appleton had never had played for this club, this board would be going crazy at the thought of him getting the job.

We need to get a proper manager in. There are plenty out there who deserve a crack at the job. I would sooner be looking at the likes of Paul Cook, the Barnsley boss and a few others before I contemplated McInnes or Appleton.

Like it or not, Hughton is the best name out there in terms of promotions, knowing the league, knowing how to get out the league and also has that premier league experience the club always bang on about.

Whether we can convince him to come would be a different matter.

I would love for the board to prove me wrong and look abroad for a boss, its worked with Wolves (granted they've had some help from mendes), its worked with Norwich. There are plenty of capable bosses in the top flight german league who would love a chance to manage in England.

We will know the clubs intentions this summer by the length of time it takes for them to appoint a new boss.

The one key factor I have taken already is that Shan has said hes been offered a coaching job if he wants it, now does that mean he will be involved in the first team or will he be returning to the under 23s? What if the new man in charge wants his backroom staff to be all his own men?

For me, I cant see past it being offered Appleton. That's why he is already here.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 09:38:22 AM by Mister AT »

Offline baggies_24

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #2010 on: May 15, 2019, 09:37:19 AM »
I’d rather Hughton every day over Coleman and I don’t really want Hughton.

Offline Smethwickender93

• Baby Baggie
« Reply #2011 on: May 15, 2019, 09:50:50 AM »
No to Appy, Mciness, Coleman and co

We need someone with fresh new ideas and a new playing style. We have probably our biggest rebuild in years, although how many years have we said this. It seems each year our rebuild gets bigger and bigger

Get this appointment wrong and it'll cost us more than the last few seasons have!

Offline baggie96

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #2012 on: May 15, 2019, 09:53:02 AM »
Danny Cowley high up in the odds, second favourite on paddy power

Offline gavinrussell

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #2013 on: May 15, 2019, 10:00:18 AM »
Danny Cowley high up in the odds, second favourite on paddy power
Good shout..the Cowleys have rejuvenated Lincoln on a very limited budget..taking average players and coaching them to a really good standard..

Offline Mister AT

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #2014 on: May 15, 2019, 10:14:13 AM »
Cowley deserves a crack a job higher up, wouldn't be against him being given a chance here.

Lee Johnson is another I can see us going for. Constantly does well with Bristol City, always come close to the play offs, play some good football and knows how to build a team on a budget.

A left field appointment I would like us to look at, someone like  Van Bronkchorst, leaving Feyenoord, won the cup in his first season, won the league in his second season, leaving at the end of the season, can't see any prem team taking a risk on him so we may be able to tempt him into English football?

Offline benalbion

• WBA Newbie
« Reply #2015 on: May 15, 2019, 10:23:42 AM »
The way things have gone at the albion over the years im looking at this realistically.
Unlikely (what we all want) - we get a manager in who be allowed to have a clear out, bring in fresh ideas and his own staff and new players
Likely(what those at the top will do) - Shan will be manager come august. After loans gone back and players are sold we will be picking the bones from a depleted squad and bring in quick cheap options for start of season

Offline phbaggies

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie
« Reply #2016 on: May 15, 2019, 10:33:57 AM »
The way things have gone at the albion over the years im looking at this realistically.
Unlikely (what we all want) - we get a manager in who be allowed to have a clear out, bring in fresh ideas and his own staff and new players
Likely(what those at the top will do) - Shan will be manager come august. After loans gone back and players are sold we will be picking the bones from a depleted squad and bring in quick cheap options for start of season
Shan confirmed last night he wont be manager but club has assured him of a place on the coaching staff if he wants it
12/02/12 - wo1ve5 #weshouldhavehadten

Offline Albion79

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #2017 on: May 15, 2019, 10:57:41 AM »
To me we are not that far away from where we were in 2006/2007 when we lost in the playoffs, we will lose some our bigger names now we havent gone up, but we could also try and keep some of the better ones for this level.

The difference was then we had Mowbray who had a clear vision of how he wanted to play, we need to find another Mowbray.

He came from Hibs and wasnt a big name / coup but we thought outside the box a bit, same as with our player recruitment back then and it paid off, not only that it got fans excited again.

I dont care if the new manager is british or foreign, what i want is somebody is hungry, has a vision and wants to better themselves. The problem with a Hughton is he has a template and will implement it wherever he goes, its like a default setting, i like him as a bloke and have no doubt if he came in he would do a decent job and though may lead us back to the premier league, it would be conservative, we have been there and done that.

If we go back to the premier league i want it to be exciting and try a new approach, Norwich have yoyo'd similar to us but their fans are buzzing because they are going up this time with a different way of approaching the premier league and its exciting, that needs to be us again.

These players got us relegated and ultimately didnt get us promoted again, for some of them they have peaked and they are declining, others have just become stale so now is the ideal time for a overhaul and fresh approach.

I think the pressure and expectation will of gone a bit next season so whoever comes in has a big advantage on Moore and Shan, if we get this appointment right it could lead to a exciting new era for Albion, sadly i think we will go for the tired and trusted approach, again.

Offline phbaggies

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie
« Reply #2018 on: May 15, 2019, 11:03:25 AM »
Holding talks with Hughton next week then, so it begins!

Patrick Vieira is a new link though!

(J. Percy - Telegraph)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 11:07:13 AM by phbaggies »

Offline AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie
« Reply #2019 on: May 15, 2019, 11:17:27 AM »

(J. Percy - Telegraph)

Is this a MSM source?
respect and humility for everyone, absolutely everyone, who we come into contact with”

Tolerance, Understanding, Acceptance, Patience

Offline baggies_24

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #2020 on: May 15, 2019, 11:30:42 AM »

(J. Percy - Telegraph)

The line that really worries me from the article is this

‘But Hughton’s previous record of two promotions makes him an attractive option for the West Brom board.’

Obviously the goal next season is to be promoted but we also need some further long term planning which let’s be honest with you Hughton at 60 years old isn’t. Also another pragmatic experienced British manager.

Offline phbaggies

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

Offline phbaggies

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie
« Reply #2022 on: May 15, 2019, 11:34:41 AM »
The line that really worries me from the article is this

‘But Hughton’s previous record of two promotions makes him an attractive option for the West Brom board.’

Obviously the goal next season is to be promoted but we also need some further long term planning which let’s be honest with you Hughton at 60 years old isn’t. Also another pragmatic experienced British manager.

This worries me more in the article from Shan's mouth "The mentality of the owners, technical director and chief executive will definitely steer this club back into the Premier League."

Offline seteefeet

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #2023 on: May 15, 2019, 11:43:51 AM »
This worries me more in the article from Shan's mouth "The mentality of the owners, technical director and chief executive will definitely steer this club back into the Premier League."
The line before says they've guaranteed him a place on the coaching staff so he's hardly going to say anything derogatory. Personally, I hope he's right and they do steer us back to the Prem. I just hope that, when it happens, as Albion79 says,  it is with a young, attack minded team and philosophy and not a stale dinosaur.
Potter or Johnson would be my choices.

Offline Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #2024 on: May 15, 2019, 11:58:53 AM »
Hughton ticks all the boxes....promotion success with different teams, able to work on a limited budget, respected within the game (although the JRod and Bong situation left some bad feelings), and lets not forget he is leaving Brighton having kept them UP despite having to rely on the old man up front for the goals to keep them up.

He has a reputation for teams playing pragmatic football, but I remember seeing Brighton early on in the campaign whilst they were on a good run and was surprised just how bright they looked, zipping the ball about and creating chances. 

Their big problem this year has been the abject failure of the marque forward signings from the Dutch League with 3 goals for the £30 million investment.   Would these big signings have been Hughton's choice or their recruitment team before Ashorth's arrival?  Either way it is pretty irrelevant as the next manager at the Hawthorns wont be getting £30 million for the entire team rebuild let alone two players.

Question is.....are we an attractive proposition for a man with Hughton's background.?  3 managers sacked in the last year and a bit (one of whom was in 4th place in the league at the time) an unbalanced and ageing squad lacking both pace and technical ability and no external funding from owners for new players.  It's a big job working for an owner who is showing ZERO interest in the club other than as an investment and a boss who is purely financially driven and NOT a football man.Put that job description in the papers and see who applies!!

If i'm struggling to sell it to myself, how are we going to sell it to a choice off the A list like Hughton or Johnson??  Other than "We are the Albion"....which would of course work for us.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 12:04:19 PM by Oldbury24 »