Author Topic: How old?  (Read 1041 times)

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

How old?
« on: February 22, 2019, 02:09:28 PM »
Would you class 16 as being an adult?
You can join the forces, you can legally get married, you can legally have seual intercourse.
Would you class 18 as being an adult?
You can drive, drink alcohol, you can vote and you can legally smoke.
Would you class 21 as being an adult?
As all above but plenty of others.

The reason I ask is because of the law which states that anyone under 18 cannot be named.
Recently in the news a boy? ? of 16 raped and murdered a little girl.
In this case the judge has lifted those restrictions
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-47330774
Surely all those over 16 should be tried as adults.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

Re: How old?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2019, 02:51:05 PM »
Would you class 16 as being an adult?
You can join the forces, you can legally get married, you can legally have seual intercourse.
Would you class 18 as being an adult?
You can drive, drink alcohol, you can vote and you can legally smoke.
Would you class 21 as being an adult?
As all above but plenty of others.

The reason I ask is because of the law which states that anyone under 18 cannot be named.
Recently in the news a boy? ? of 16 raped and murdered a little girl.
In this case the judge has lifted those restrictions
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-47330774
Surely all those over 16 should be tried as adults.

Didn't have much choice to be fair, his name and face was all over Social Media as soon as the verdict was passed.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2019, 02:53:56 PM »
I think 16 should be the age you get listed as adult, for the reasons mentioned above by yourself.

If you can legally consent to sex, join the forces and marry then you are by token no longer a child
B_H_Baggie : Dexy : Dudleylad : kris_boing : OldburyWBA
Hull Baggie : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : Political Cake : tommcneill : WBArgo

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2019, 02:58:48 PM »
I think 16 should be the age you get listed as adult, for the reasons mentioned above by yourself.

If you can legally consent to sex, join the forces and marry then you are by token no longer a child
This is the poser....
Being an adult, shouldn't you be allowed to vote, even if you haven't possibly become "worldly wise"?
I think that where the law states how old you are to be named, it should be allowed at 16.

timdon

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2019, 05:35:28 PM »
This is the poser....
Being an adult, shouldn't you be allowed to vote, even if you haven't possibly become "worldly wise"?
I think that where the law states how old you are to be named, it should be allowed at 16.
Blimey, if "worldly wise" was the test for being able to vote, the electorate would be severely diminished. But yes, I agree with you, everything should be the same. 16 in my opinion as well.

KYA

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2019, 06:14:44 PM »
Very tricky question what constitutes being a grown-up all the thing mentioned in the first post bar marriage and joining up many are doing at the age of 12.
Some people never seem to grow up.
I do think criminals should be named over the age of 16 most people know right from wrong by that age but that doesn't make them grown up that normally comes with life experience.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 06:17:11 PM by KYA »

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2019, 06:24:27 PM »
I think however old someone is, if they commit a serious crime, such as rape, murder or crimes against minors, then they should be named. It's ok saying "well they're not sure what they're doing at 15 etc", but they are fully aware.

Imagine having a son/daughter start dating someone when they're 17 and you have no idea that the person they've brought home has been in trouble for rape.

I worked at a school where a lad had been arrested for rape at his previous school. Staff weren't allowed to say anything and I saw him chatting girls up and them arranging to go out with him. Even if we said to the girls to be careful around him, it would have made no difference, and would possibly even made them want to spend more time with him...

I say name and shame.

Norfolk Baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2019, 06:55:23 PM »
Interesting question.  Sixteen is legally the age when you can do most adult things.  However, from 16 to roughly 22 I think you are still maturing and there is a lot of learning still to be done.  As I used to tell my kids there are not many advantages to being an adult.

EastYorksAlbion

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2019, 07:10:52 PM »
I think however old someone is, if they commit a serious crime, such as rape, murder or crimes against minors, then they should be named. It's ok saying "well they're not sure what they're doing at 15 etc", but they are fully aware.

Imagine having a son/daughter start dating someone when they're 17 and you have no idea that the person they've brought home has been in trouble for rape.

I worked at a school where a lad had been arrested for rape at his previous school. Staff weren't allowed to say anything and I saw him chatting girls up and them arranging to go out with him. Even if we said to the girls to be careful around him, it would have made no difference, and would possibly even made them want to spend more time with him...

I say name and shame.

Name and shame by all means, but only if convicted of an offence. There is a big problem in this country with names of people arrested for offences being named in the media, and then no charges are made, but there is always a smear against their name in the public perception.

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2019, 07:46:47 PM »
Name and shame by all means, but only if convicted of an offence. There is a big problem in this country with names of people arrested for offences being named in the media, and then no charges are made, but there is always a smear against their name in the public perception.

I totally agree. I perhaps should have been clearer.