West Brom Dot Com

Author Topic: Tyrone Mears  (Read 18417 times)

Offline wba_1996

• Reserve Baggie
Re: Tyrone Mears
« Reply #250 on: December 31, 2018, 02:46:01 PM »
Reckon that means Moore wants another defender in addition to Holgate, which is what the Daily Mail were reporting yesterday. Mears stays as emergency cover through January whilst we try to land the other target.

Offline Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #251 on: December 31, 2018, 02:55:05 PM »
Reckon that means Moore wants another defender in addition to Holgate, which is what the Daily Mail were reporting yesterday. Mears stays as emergency cover through January whilst we try to land the other target.

Very much an emergency option on the bench.   If his wages are as low as reported (low for a footballer, not a real person 😑 of course) then no biggy.

Offline Albionic

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie
« Reply #252 on: December 31, 2018, 02:56:02 PM »
Very much an emergency option on the bench.   If his wages are as low as reported (low for a footballer, not a real person 😑 of course) then no biggy.

No brainer (the extension, not Tyrone)  before some bright spark .....
Lovin the championship, just lovin it !

Offline FallOutBoy

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #253 on: December 31, 2018, 08:14:04 PM »
My initial reaction was 'WTF!!!' until I thought about it for a moment - it does probably mean they're going to try for another right back, or see how Holgate fares in the role.

I can still see him being here until the end of the season though.

Offline leeiswba

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #254 on: January 26, 2019, 06:39:18 PM »
Is this bloke really as bad as is made out?

Online TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager
« Reply #255 on: January 26, 2019, 06:41:12 PM »
Is this bloke really as bad as is made out?

No major clangers today but yes he's very poor.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Offline Bilston Dan

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #256 on: January 26, 2019, 06:45:16 PM »
I thought he had a solid game today to be honest. Probably because he was playing in his proper position.
"I don't get hangovers, I just feel sick and have a headache"

Offline LiamTheBaggie

• @westbromcom
  • Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager
« Reply #257 on: January 27, 2019, 09:07:51 AM »
He defended well today to his credit

My only problem is that he does not possess the forward ability that Townsend and Gibbs offer - it was noticeable that when our midfield was narrow and Harper was looking for the option wide, Mears was often hanging back on half way

That might be to save us being caught on the counter but if you’re overloading the middle and playing narrow then you ideally need some width from somewhere
B_H_Baggie : Dexy : Dudleylad : kris_boing : OldburyWBA
Hull Baggie : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : Political Cake : tommcneill : WBArgo

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Online Atomic

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #258 on: January 27, 2019, 09:14:11 AM »

My only problem is that he does not possess the forward ability that Townsend and Gibbs offer - it was noticeable that when our midfield was narrow and Harper was looking for the option wide, Mears was often hanging back on half way

That might be to save us being caught on the counter but if you’re overloading the middle and playing narrow then you ideally need some width from somewhere

He doesn't have the legs to do that mate. To be fair to him he's a good, honest pro who came in as sort of an emergency because we didn't have a right back. We are wrong to expect too much of him.

Offline leeiswba

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #259 on: January 27, 2019, 09:20:28 AM »
Thats what I mean really, not saying he should be starting or anything but I think he can actually do a job if needed to.

Offline mulliganstired

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #260 on: January 27, 2019, 11:54:50 AM »
If we don't get any more defenders in, and especially if Toisin goes, I think he will be perfectly OK bench/backup.

Offline baggie_liam

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #261 on: January 27, 2019, 12:35:23 PM »

Tbf to him he, is probably 15 years older than both of those two players

Offline paulosull

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #262 on: January 27, 2019, 05:04:31 PM »
Have to give bloke credit for his performance yesterday, seemed solid in a back four.

Offline LiamTheBaggie

• @westbromcom
  • Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager
« Reply #263 on: January 28, 2019, 01:07:10 PM »

Tbf to him he, is probably 15 years older than both of those two players

I don't disagree - it highlights the failings of our recruitment and management team not to address this issue in the summer, rather than relying on a mate of Moore's to carry us through.

To have started the season with no recognised right back was insane.

Offline Wigmore

• Junior Baggie
« Reply #264 on: January 28, 2019, 03:53:47 PM »
I don't disagree - it highlights the failings of our recruitment and management team not to address this issue in the summer, rather than relying on a mate of Moore's to carry us through.

To have started the season with no recognised right back was insane.
Your criticism would be wholly justified if the club had made no effort to find a long term RB.
But, unless you can prove that the club sat on their hands, and did not try to recruit, I think you should moderate your language.

Offline LiamTheBaggie

• @westbromcom
  • Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager
« Reply #265 on: January 29, 2019, 06:23:24 PM »
Your criticism would be wholly justified if the club had made no effort to find a long term RB.
But, unless you can prove that the club sat on their hands, and did not try to recruit, I think you should moderate your language.

Thank you - but I will not be moderating my language.

I never accused the club of sitting on their hands - I accused them of failing to address the issue - which is correct

And to start the season with no recognised right back was insane.

You leave the moderating advice to me..

Offline Albionic

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie
« Reply #266 on: January 29, 2019, 07:07:47 PM »

Meanwhile back on topic, I have to think that Mears has been a “success “ in as much that we had no alternative and he (and Tosin) have plugged the hole for 6 months without the club having to find a transfer fee or a long term contract
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 07:13:31 PM by Dexy »
Lovin the championship, just lovin it !

Offline Wigmore

• Junior Baggie
« Reply #267 on: January 29, 2019, 08:08:30 PM »
Thank you - but I will not be moderating my language.

I never accused the club of sitting on their hands - I accused them of failing to address the issue - which is correct

And to start the season with no recognised right back was insane.

You leave the moderating advice to me..
If you wish to insult the club (that you purport to support) with inane slurs such as 'insane', carry on. Rather diminishes the thrust of your argument imo.
And, I repeat, just how do you know what efforts were made to recruit, and where the failures lie??

Online OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman
« Reply #268 on: January 29, 2019, 08:37:32 PM »
If you wish to insult the club (that you purport to support) with inane slurs such as 'insane', carry on. Rather diminishes the thrust of your argument imo.
And, I repeat, just how do you know what efforts were made to recruit, and where the failures lie??

Can we cut the "purport to support" type comments please, similar to those earlier about "true" fans or "happy clapper", "doom monger" etc, this is not the forum for comments such as those, keep them to Facebook and other social media outlets

Offline Wigmore

• Junior Baggie
« Reply #269 on: January 30, 2019, 12:23:55 AM »
Can we cut the "purport to support" type comments please, similar to those earlier about "true" fans or "happy clapper", "doom monger" etc, this is not the forum for comments such as those, keep them to Facebook and other social media outlets
But we can call our club 'insane'??

Offline caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie
« Reply #270 on: January 30, 2019, 01:50:05 AM »
in fairness he didn't say the club was insane, he said it was insane to start the season without a RB. which it was.

Offline Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #271 on: January 30, 2019, 08:35:32 AM »
Overreaction/10.

I see no issue whatsoever in what Liam wrote, it was utterly absurd to let Nyom go and fail to replace him, instead bringing in one of Darren's pals who is clearly no longer up to it.

Offline Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie
« Reply #272 on: January 30, 2019, 08:49:21 AM »
To be pedantic we did start the season with a recognised RB, Nyom played the first 3 games as a right back in a back 4.
We brought in Mears who is a RB and played him as a RWB  (which he couldn't do). On Saturday Mears played as a RB and looked okay.
Overreaction/10.

I see no issue whatsoever in what Liam wrote, it was utterly absurd to let Nyom go and fail to replace him, instead bringing in one of Darren's pals who is clearly no longer up to it.

that's a contradiction.

Online OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman
« Reply #273 on: January 30, 2019, 08:51:51 AM »

As pointed out he didn't call the club insane, he said it was insane, big difference and I also don't see that as abusing or insulting the club.

People are allowed to criticise the club, we pay our money and so are allowed to comment on it both good, bad, positive or negative, that will not change on this forum as long as it is within the forum rules.

Offline Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #274 on: January 30, 2019, 09:18:42 AM »
To be pedantic we did start the season with a recognised RB, Nyom played the first 3 games as a right back in a back 4.
We brought in Mears who is a RB and played him as a RWB  (which he couldn't do). On Saturday Mears played as a RB and looked okay.
that's a contradiction.

Not really, bringing in someone who is no longer a footballer is hardly a replacement, as bad as Nyom was/is.