West Brom Dot Com

Author Topic: Dwight Gayle (at Newcastle)  (Read 72533 times)

Offline baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie
Re: Dwight Gayle (on loan swap from Newcastle)
« Reply #350 on: February 14, 2019, 10:36:43 AM »
Regardless of the decision i think Gayles card will now be  marked by refs.

He isnt going to be getting many 50/50’s in his favour now anywhere on the pitch and i would imagine he will lose out on a few penalty appeals.

Tbe law doesnt really make sense, surely if a dive earns a free kick or penalty, the outcome of the free kick / penalty is irrelevant, a dive is a dive.

To give an example, had the keeper tipped Jrods penalty over the bar tuesday, but we then scored from the resulting corner, would Gayle not be charged?

I know its phases of play but if Gayles ‘dive’ didnt directly lead to a goal but we score from the resulting  corner, then his cheating has benefitted us but by the rule hasnt it?

If the panel decide to ban him as they think he cheated then you have to respect their decision, the issue i would have is that all dives should be punished as per the above, it would be prevention action.

By only making examples of incidents that lead to say a goal, yes the player and club suffer after the event, but thats no use to the club who were cheated in the game (example, forest who if Gayle is found guilty can feel they were robbed of 2 points)

A dive, simulation whatever you want to call it anywhere on the pitch, should be punished with a x game ban if found seen at the time by the ref or after, but players and clubs have to know about it, it would prevent most players even thinking about it let alone trying it.

However it really does open a can of worms.

You make some good points, but as far as I can interpret the ruling, it's only if the deception has an impact on the outcome of the game that a ban is enforced.
As far as I can see, if we had been winning or losing the game by a margin of 2 goals or more, then DG wouldn't have been charged.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

Offline OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman
« Reply #351 on: February 14, 2019, 11:05:30 AM »
It seems that every time we're live on TV, Goodman is the expert summariser. Haven't the TV company got anyone else?

It was Danny Higginbotham on Saturday against Stoke and for an ex Stoke player he was straight down the middle, no bias at all unlike Dingle Don who is so biased against us its unbelieveable
B_H_Baggie : Dexy : Dudleylad : kris_boing : OldburyWBA
Hull Baggie : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : Political Cake : tommcneill : WBArgo

Offline tuamigos

• WBA Manager
« Reply #352 on: February 14, 2019, 11:06:03 AM »
Expect a flood of retrospective actions now.
If they have to do it for one player then they have to do it for all of them.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Offline seteefeet

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #353 on: February 14, 2019, 11:11:48 AM »
Expect a flood of retrospective actions now.
If they have to do it for one player then they have to do it for all of them.
We know they won't though, it really was just trial by Sky and Dingle Don hammering the point. He wasn't so outraged about Grabben's leg-breaker, funny that!

As someone else suggested, someone at the club should trawl the recent archives for all the dives they can find and send them off to the wonderful FA, agreeing to accept whatever punishment they deem fit, provided every single, subsequent, incident is treated exactly the same way.

Offline Aussie Baggie

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #354 on: February 14, 2019, 11:16:24 AM »
I’ve now finally had a chance to see this and while there’s no doubt Gayle dived, I think it was more to avoid the collision.

But he’ll probably get banned so the FA can show they’re tough buggers.

Offline baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #355 on: February 14, 2019, 11:22:45 AM »
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

Offline Nickwba1

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #356 on: February 14, 2019, 11:25:01 AM »
Not heard the comments made by Don but I think he's actually one of the better pundits and can give an actual view of how we are performing given the amount of times he's seen us play. Much worse.

Offline seteefeet

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #357 on: February 14, 2019, 11:34:29 AM »
Not heard the comments made by Don but I think he's actually one of the better pundits and can give an actual view of how we are performing given the amount of times he's seen us play. Much worse.
He's a Dingle through and through, no more biased pundit out there. I have to turn sound down just to avoid kicking the telly in!

Offline BoingFlyer

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #358 on: February 14, 2019, 11:57:02 AM »
I’ve now finally had a chance to see this and while there’s no doubt Gayle dived, I think it was more to avoid the collision.

But he’ll probably get banned so the FA can show they’re tough buggers.

I hope that is cited in his defence. Given a choice should he trip over the outstretched leg and risk injury or dive over the outstretched leg.

Make Mercia Great Again. #MMGA

Offline SmethDan

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #359 on: February 14, 2019, 12:03:19 PM »

Bloke's an absolute cockend chap.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Offline gazberg

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #360 on: February 14, 2019, 12:17:40 PM »
Goodmans definitely a dingle as a pundit. No love for us at all.

Offline Albionic

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie
« Reply #361 on: February 14, 2019, 12:28:12 PM »
Don is a dingle - no doubt,
However Dwight dived and should be sanctioned
The problem is consistency, lets hope we see some from here on in, not holding my breath though.
Lovin the championship, just lovin it !

Offline paulosull

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #362 on: February 14, 2019, 12:41:33 PM »
Don is a dingle - no doubt,
However Dwight dived and should be sanctioned
The problem is consistency, lets hope we see some from here on in, not holding my breath though.
that's the problem consistency one man's dive is another man's foul. I thought at first glance that he got taken out only numerous replays and commentators comments suggests it's a dive, then Dingle Don who in my opinion should not be a guest in any games that we are on TV as he's too biased does a hatchet job on a Gayle and basically calls him a cheat.

Offline FallOutBoy

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #363 on: February 14, 2019, 12:46:02 PM »
So nobody should have been punished under this rule in 18 months, except for Niasse and Gayle? Forest won a penalty themselves through diving last weekend, and how many times has Salah done it recently?

It's not Gayle getting banned that's the problem, it's the inconsistency. But then I don't expect fair play from the FA or governing bodies anymore.

Offline BalisPen

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #364 on: February 14, 2019, 01:14:21 PM »
What I don't understand under this fa rule he has been charged with is, why couldn't it have been used to charge Roofe for the blatant handball he did to score against forest earlier in the season.

Imo belaihoune put his foot on DG's and he went over that is not a clear dive where no one touches him.

Offline The Tank

• Baby Baggie
« Reply #365 on: February 14, 2019, 01:32:54 PM »
It may have been evasive action which unfortunately ended with a dive.
Tyrone M***s last week did not take evasive action and it ended in a bloodbath !

Offline mulliganstired

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #366 on: February 14, 2019, 02:27:11 PM »
What I don't understand under this fa rule he has been charged with is, why couldn't it have been used to charge Roofe for the blatant handball he did to score against forest earlier in the season.

Imo belaihoune put his foot on DG's and he went over that is not a clear dive where no one touches him.
There is contact on the floor, if you look away from the "main" challenge coming in, that should be enough to give him the benefit of the doubt, you have managers and pundits all the time saying if you feel contact and go down, it's not a dive.  But I think they will make an example of an upstart club rather than one of their big fat chums in the top six

Offline Albionic

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie
« Reply #367 on: February 14, 2019, 02:37:46 PM »

i think that this is an un-intended consequence of being on TV so much,
Not punishing an incident on National TV is going to embarrass the FA far more than one reported solely in a local rag and which few people are aware of.  Un-doubtedly Dingle don's outburst will not have helped diminish the embarrassment at all.

Its bloody ironic that 70k for being a TV game could cost the club 10's of £millions !
Lovin the championship, just lovin it !

Offline Andio

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #368 on: February 14, 2019, 05:34:46 PM »
https://twitter.com/i/status/1095465770547597315
Hmmmmm no comment

Much worse than Gayles!!!

Did Grabban get banned? I bet my house he didn't.

Offline Nathan

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #369 on: February 14, 2019, 05:54:43 PM »
What I cant understand about this whole episode is that if it was such an obvious, blatant, intentional dive then why on Earth did the match officials fail to spot this at the time? Are the match officials going to face a two game ban for incompetence? We might as well do away with referees and linesmen altogether, play 90 minutes free for all then let Sky TV and their 'experts' analyse everything and decide the match score afterwards. Everything about modern day football makes me sick.

Offline BalisPen

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #370 on: February 14, 2019, 06:01:29 PM »
He has been banned for the next 2 games.

Offline kirk

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #371 on: February 14, 2019, 06:05:59 PM »
Stupid from the club not to contest this, if they had he would have been available for Saturday, I sometimes wonder who is making these crass decisions
It's easy to have faith in yourself and have discipline when you're a winner, when you're number one. What you got to have is faith and discipline when you're not a winner.

Offline domingo6220

• WBA Newbie
« Reply #372 on: February 14, 2019, 06:11:58 PM »
Stupid from the club not to contest this, if they had he would have been available for Saturday, I sometimes wonder who is making these crass decisions
But he would have been banned for the Sheffield United game.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 06:17:10 PM by domingo6220 »

Offline 17GD

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #373 on: February 14, 2019, 06:14:24 PM »
Banned for 2 games and the club thinks it's fruitless to contest. It's a joke that they've decided to start here when it's happened at other matches and nothing has been done.

The big clubs will never be punished because the FA are scared to do so.

Online TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager
« Reply #374 on: February 14, 2019, 06:18:53 PM »
Better he misses Villa than Sheffield United.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.