West Brom Dot Com

Author Topic: Darren Moore sacked  (Read 228370 times)

Offline ex coseley kid

• Reserve Baggie
Re: Darren Moore sacked
« Reply #3950 on: April 07, 2019, 08:09:07 PM »
IMO. Darren was doing quite well (end of Premier season and start of Championship season) then Jones came along and then things went t1ts up.

That's how I see it too.
Not knocking Jones as such but I think DM got him in more because he doubted himself more than anything.

End of last season and a chunk of the first half of this seem to go towards that.

Mind you Harvey Barnes...........
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

Offline AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie
« Reply #3951 on: April 07, 2019, 08:11:09 PM »

The only philosophy they shared at Albion belongs to Roberto Martinez, and I can't imagine Darren has had a great many dealings with him...

Perhaps you could elaborate on that with substantial facts and not just guess work based on a particular playing style that was utilised on occasions?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 08:15:48 PM by OldburyWBA »
respect and humility for everyone, absolutely everyone, who we come into contact with”

Tolerance, Understanding, Acceptance, Patience

Offline baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #3952 on: April 07, 2019, 08:13:31 PM »
IMO. Darren was doing quite well (end of Premier season and start of Championship season) then Jones came along and then things went t1ts up.

Except........................... DM nominated Jones & was happy to wait for him, including giving him time to take a holiday after the world cup.
IMO, (from comments made by local football correspondents at the time) the person who propped up DM at the end of the EPL season & pre-season was the person who currently has the caretaker position.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

Offline Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach
« Reply #3953 on: April 07, 2019, 08:16:54 PM »
Except........................... DM nominated Jones & was happy to wait for him, including giving him time to take a holiday after the world cup.
IMO, (from comments made by local football correspondents at the time) the person who propped up DM at the end of the EPL season & pre-season was the person who currently has the caretaker position.
Exactly that... NOT Jones

Offline Adder

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie
« Reply #3954 on: April 07, 2019, 08:49:00 PM »
Moore was pragmatic managing in the prem which was fair enough in terms of position and personnel and him wanting to make a good fist of it. I do think though that he realised what the fans thought at the end of the Pulis era and genuinely wanted to provide a more exciting team in the Championship. Barnes was signed pre season before Jones got here. It wasn't the case that Moore + Shan would have kept going with the pragmatism if Jones hadn't come in.  The question is whether we would have kept the 3 at the back as long and the playing out from the back as long.

Offline baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #3955 on: April 07, 2019, 09:01:46 PM »
Moore was pragmatic managing in the prem which was fair enough in terms of position and personnel and him wanting to make a good fist of it. I do think though that he realised what the fans thought at the end of the Pulis era and genuinely wanted to provide a more exciting team in the Championship. Barnes was signed pre season before Jones got here. It wasn't the case that Moore + Shan would have kept going with the pragmatism if Jones hadn't come in.  The question is whether we would have kept the 3 at the back as long and the playing out from the back as long.

If you're crediting DM with Harvey Barnes, don't forget DM was chasing Maddison from Peterborough.
When Harvey Barnes came, nobody had heard of him.

Offline Adder

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie
« Reply #3956 on: April 07, 2019, 10:24:51 PM »
If you're crediting DM with Harvey Barnes, don't forget DM was chasing Maddison from Peterborough.
When Harvey Barnes came, nobody had heard of him.
Barnes had done well for Barnsley in the Championship the previous season so he was not an unknown plucked from Leicester's backup squad. My point is I'm certain Moore genuinely wanted a more attacking style, that idea didn't arrive with Jones.

Offline baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #3957 on: April 08, 2019, 08:17:54 AM »
Barnes had done well for Barnsley in the Championship the previous season so he was not an unknown plucked from Leicester's backup squad. My point is I'm certain Moore genuinely wanted a more attacking style, that idea didn't arrive with Jones.

I'm sure you're right that DM wanted a more attacking style, but IMO, GJ was a major player in that.
This forum was going balistic for weeks when we hadn't appointed an assistant to DM over the summer. I'm convinced that GJ was considered, by the club, to be the catalyst to make that work.

Offline Wigmore

• Junior Baggie
« Reply #3958 on: April 11, 2019, 10:09:43 AM »
So, Moore was sacked because he failed to get "the best squad in the Championship" (as many posters repeatedly told us) into the automatic positions. Some told us that so called mediocre managers would have WBA six points clear of everybody.
Would that squad be the same one that posters are now lining up to castigate and dismember on the Next Manager thread....?

Offline Albionic

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie
« Reply #3959 on: April 11, 2019, 11:17:41 AM »
So, Moore was sacked because he failed to get "the best squad in the Championship" (as many posters repeatedly told us) into the automatic positions. Some told us that so called mediocre managers would have WBA six points clear of everybody.
Would that squad be the same one that posters are now lining up to castigate and dismember on the Next Manager thread....?

its not unreasonable to argue a club has a good squad that isn't performing, ie Chelsea under Conte &  Man utd under Mourinhio.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 12:04:50 PM by Albionic »
Lovin the championship, just lovin it !

Offline skyclad99

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #3960 on: April 11, 2019, 11:52:40 AM »

Actually we dont know that do we.......?
What have we done?
And what have we become
In this distance from our Mother
From the gates of late Eden?

Offline Wigmore

• Junior Baggie
« Reply #3961 on: April 11, 2019, 12:06:36 PM »
Actually we dont know that do we.......?
Quite right. But that was what many posters repeatedly claimed. Many posts kept churning out the mantra of the 'best squad' bollox. This was the stick with which that DM was hit.
Are there still posters who would make the same assertion now?

Offline Albionic

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie
« Reply #3962 on: April 11, 2019, 02:48:13 PM »
on ability alone, this squad has to be up there with the likes of Sheff Utd and Norwich, BUT the real question is, do they want it enough ???
I have a theory that some of the more experienced players are trying to eek out as much as they can and recognise that promotion almost certainly guarantees them being moved on, whereas a near miss and yet another new manager may be convinced to let them have another crack at it, ergo another £1-1.5m in the bank.

The loanees will not be that fussed either, which just leaves the kids

call me cynical .........

Lovin the championship, just lovin it !

Offline ronnie_allen

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #3963 on: April 11, 2019, 03:43:47 PM »
on ability alone, this squad has to be up there with the likes of Sheff Utd and Norwich, BUT the real question is, do they want it enough ???

Would agree about Sheffield United and Norwich. I think a lot of the time; the discussion was looking at how squad compared to those in and around us; which was generally the top four. I would have had a number of squads I felt were significantly better than us but doing far worse such as Stoke City and Aston Villa (at the time).

Do think we had some massive shortfalls in squad which were increased significantly with departure of Barnes and (as is usual) injury to Phillips. Never really feel we control the game from midfield. Started off with three very good defenders but back-up doesn't seem to be great and did get Holgate in to make it a decent four. 

Offline stoxman

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #3964 on: June 15, 2019, 10:56:31 AM »

Offline seteefeet

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #3965 on: June 15, 2019, 01:05:49 PM »
This sums the man up for me.  What a thoroughly nice human being.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/11741339/darren-moore-interview-west-brom-favourite-ready-for-new-challenge-after-eye-opening-kenya-trip
Happy with Bilic  and we move on but still think WBA FC is a worse place without him. Really hope he gets that 2nd chance and smashes it.

Offline Chipperfan

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #3966 on: June 15, 2019, 01:20:01 PM »
Born Baggie. Die disheartened.

Offline BaggieBoy04

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #3967 on: June 15, 2019, 01:27:09 PM »
Nice Bloke, Generally Cares about Albion and everything he does even Charity will always be the manager who nearly pulled off the Greatest of Great Escapes that I could have seen, Had Players who didn't care for him wish him luck and hope someone at the Albion reappoint him in the Youth Academy or Resvere Coach.
Something's in Life are a Fantasy Like Playing Fifa and making Albion win the league unbeaten
Something's in Life are real Birth, Death, Paying Tax, Braking up, Having a Family
Something's in Life are obliged And never to be Forgot. S*****g on those lads in Orange and Black and Claret and Spew

Offline ex coseley kid

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #3968 on: June 15, 2019, 04:45:39 PM »
Nice Bloke, Generally Cares about Albion and everything he does even Charity will always be the manager who nearly pulled off the Greatest of Great Escapes that I could have seen, Had Players who didn't care for him wish him luck and hope someone at the Albion reappoint him in the Youth Academy or Resvere Coach.

If he wanted it... but nicely said BaggieBoy.

Regardless of what individuals thought of his management (and I think he deserved more time but happy where we are now in terms of appointment).... anyone who doesn't LOVE Big Dave is a doghead in disguise.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

Offline glosterbaggie

• WBA Coach
« Reply #3969 on: June 15, 2019, 05:37:52 PM »
If he wanted it... but nicely said BaggieBoy.

Regardless of what individuals thought of his management (and I think he deserved more time but happy where we are now in terms of appointment).... anyone who doesn't LOVE Big Dave is a doghead in disguise.

Could not agree more Sir!
Wish him every success.Would love him back  coaching.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf - George Orwell"
"You can't put a price on being able too live with yourself"As I said to a tory MP

Online gazberg

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #3970 on: June 15, 2019, 05:42:59 PM »
Don't think anyones ever not said he was a top bloke tbf just wasn't cut out for management yet. I too hope he finds his way back here once he's got more experience under his belt.

Offline SmethDan

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #3971 on: June 16, 2019, 12:42:38 AM »
I hope he does well in future.

I also wish he never does well against us and most certainly never to our detriment.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 12:52:07 PM by SmethDan »
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Offline TiptonThrostle

• Junior Baggie
« Reply #3972 on: June 16, 2019, 12:07:39 PM »
Great man and will always have a good reception  at the club but just not cut out for management, or at best league 1/2.

Offline mr multivac

• WBA Newbie
« Reply #3973 on: June 16, 2019, 01:51:39 PM »
If frank Lampard leaves Derby for Chelsea,Darren may turn up there

Offline tuamigos

• WBA Manager
« Reply #3974 on: June 16, 2019, 05:06:27 PM »
Lovely bloke chyte manager
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'