West Brom Dot Com

Author Topic: Jay Rodriguez  (Read 143836 times)

Offline KN22

• Youth Baggie
Re: Jay Rodriguez
« Reply #1225 on: November 29, 2018, 01:03:08 PM »
Was missing again tonight. I really hope Burnley come back in for him.

I really don't get this comment at all. Not sure why he gets so much stick; has an eye for goal and works hard dropping deep to pick up the ball and try to get us moving forward. Should Burnley come back in there is a high likelihood that we would not get a replacement meaning we are in a far worse position.
It is all about opinions I know, but that is mine.

Offline skyclad99

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #1226 on: November 29, 2018, 01:17:23 PM »
Was missing again tonight. I really hope Burnley come back in for him.

I saw him quite a few times.

Tall bloke with a bit of a ponytail who ran all over the place closing the opposition down and making a general nuisance of himself. Didnt get any chances on goal [unlike Ipswich when he scored] but neither did the others....
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 03:00:57 PM by skyclad99 »
What have we done?
And what have we become
In this distance from our Mother
From the gates of late Eden?

Online boinging_along

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #1227 on: November 29, 2018, 03:14:00 PM »
I'd run around, chase down the opposition and put effort in without an actual end product.  Can I get laid £50k a week please?

You've got to look at the front two and think about why we didn't create much, why wasn't the ball held up.  You can't absolve them of blame in games where they've not done their job.

Offline skyclad99

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #1228 on: November 29, 2018, 03:28:12 PM »
I'd run around, chase down the opposition and put effort in without an actual end product.  Can I get laid £50k a week please?

You've got to look at the front two and think about why we didn't create much, why wasn't the ball held up.  You can't absolve them of blame in games where they've not done their job.

Isnt it down to supply? which was missing last night.

If Jay was stood on the penalty spot waiting for the ball he would be slaughtered. Instead he put himself about and tried to create something...... cant argue with that. Phillips and Barnes didnt put much in and there was not a great deal from midfield. I remember a few times Jay received the ball, held it up and then passed it on but nothing came from it. To say he went missing is not correct, Kanu was quiet as well.... it was one of those games where 'pulis' tactics won the day.

What have we done?
And what have we become
In this distance from our Mother
From the gates of late Eden?

Offline BalisPen

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #1229 on: November 29, 2018, 04:24:51 PM »
I just don't think he gives the same commitment and desire as he clearly showed he can against Leeds in every game.

He is one of a few we'll get big money for, and in an ideal world imo we should take about £15m for him if (big if) it's offered because of his age etc.

With the proceeds we should consider getting the much pacier and younger Maupay in and a box to box mf, as I don't think Mozza is the answer there.

Not for one second do I believe that Jenkins will release funds in Jan unless they are generated by player sales.

Our only hope without sales is that LD and IP have some very cheap signings from abroad lined up and/or some more loans.

Offline Westie

• Junior Baggie
« Reply #1230 on: November 29, 2018, 04:52:40 PM »
There’s no pleasing some ‘Albion fans’, if Lionel Messi was in our team he’d be criticised if he didn’t score in every match!

Offline seteefeet

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #1231 on: November 30, 2018, 09:17:02 AM »
There’s no pleasing some ‘Albion fans’, if Lionel Messi was in our team he’d be criticised if he didn’t score in every match!
No they wouldn't.

Offline TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager
« Reply #1232 on: November 30, 2018, 09:59:12 AM »
I just don't think he gives the same commitment and desire as he clearly showed he can against Leeds in every game.

He is one of a few we'll get big money for, and in an ideal world imo we should take about £15m for him if (big if) it's offered because of his age etc.

With the proceeds we should consider getting the much pacier and younger Maupay in and a box to box mf, as I don't think Mozza is the answer there.

Not for one second do I believe that Jenkins will release funds in Jan unless they are generated by player sales.

Our only hope without sales is that LD and IP have some very cheap signings from abroad lined up and/or some more loans.

Brentford rejected a Championship record transfer bid in the summer and he is now top scorer in the division. He'll cost more than Jay.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Online boinging_along

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #1233 on: November 30, 2018, 11:27:48 AM »
I doubt it.  The trouble with J-Rod is, considering he's given quite a free, attacking role, he doesn't actually offer very much.  There's glimpses of a decent player but he's not lethal in front of goal, he's not setting others up an awful lot.  I think he can do better, or we can do better.

Offline Albionic

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie
« Reply #1234 on: November 30, 2018, 12:32:30 PM »
I doubt it.  The trouble with J-Rod is, considering he's given quite a free, attacking role, he doesn't actually offer very much.  There's glimpses of a decent player but he's not lethal in front of goal, he's not setting others up an awful lot.  I think he can do better, or we can do better.

Yes, he's certainly not in the SKP mould, neither is he a traditional big man, or a dynamic Cyrille I struggle to think of what "type" of forward Jay is. (Bergkamp with less class???)

To me he seems to be more suited to being a midfielder with a few goals in him (Mozzaesque)
Lovin the championship, just lovin it !

Offline SirTonyM

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #1235 on: November 30, 2018, 01:38:26 PM »
Yes, he's certainly not in the SKP mould, neither is he a traditional big man, or a dynamic Cyrille I struggle to think of what "type" of forward Jay is. (Bergkamp with less class???)

To me he seems to be more suited to being a midfielder with a few goals in him (Mozzaesque)

This season he has scored 9 in 18 which is a goal every other game...

Offline Mikkyk

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #1236 on: November 30, 2018, 01:50:35 PM »
This season he has scored 9 in 18 which is a goal every other game...

4 penalties in there

Offline Albionic

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie
« Reply #1237 on: November 30, 2018, 02:07:54 PM »
Heres the top scorers in championship list adjusted to exclude pens,  Jay comes in equal 22nd !

Neal Maupay   11
Lukas Jutkiewicz   10
Teemu Pukki   10
Billy Sharp   10
Lewis Grabban   9
Dwight Gayle   9
Tammy Abraham   8
Che Adams   8
Callum Robinson   8
Kemar Roofe   8
Bradley Dack   7
Oliver McBurnie   7
Harvey Barnes   7
Jón Böðvarsson   6
Alan Browne   6
Fraizer Campbell   6
Lee Gregory   6
Joe Lolley   6
Yakou Meïté   6
Pablo Hernández   6
Ollie Watkins   6
Jay Rodriguez   5
Britt Assombalonga   5
Mateusz Klich   5
Jonathan Kodjia   5
Lucas João   5
Jack Marriott   5
Matt Phillips   5
Adam Reach   5
Jordan Rhodes   5
Andreas Weimann   5
Harry Wilson   5

Offline wbawill

• Junior Baggie
« Reply #1238 on: November 30, 2018, 02:37:53 PM »
4 penalties in there

Both a penalty and a 30 yard screamer count as one on the scoresheet, I don't see why so many are determined to discount them. His reliability from the spot has been very welcome, we've lacked that in recent years. They're not gimmes.

Offline Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #1239 on: November 30, 2018, 02:48:11 PM »
I was ready to write Jay off for the season after a couple of his performances actually cost us points (the back pass and open goal miss urrgghhh) but then we switched to a front three and he was superb against Leeds really driving at the defenders.   He then scored again against Ipswich, although missing a couple of other decent chances.

I'm often baffled as to how good he is.  Sometimes his work rate is very good and he does chase a lost cause.  He is cool on penalties and can take a sharp chance.  but he isn't a natural goal scorer and often seems poor in one on one situations. He's not got searing pace to play on the shoulder or trick to beat a player from out wide, nor is his hold up play fantastic but I have seen him play some lovely one touch link up with Gayle, Barnes and Phillips at times.

A few weeks ago I'd have taken a tenner and a bottle of whisky for him, but realistically you would think a pretty substantial sum would be required as he really is an integral part of a team currently challenging for promotion.....we'd probably miss him once he had gone!!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 02:50:03 PM by Oldbury24 »

Offline Albionic

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie
« Reply #1240 on: November 30, 2018, 02:59:59 PM »
I was ready to write Jay off for the season after a couple of his performances actually cost us points (the back pass and open goal miss urrgghhh) but then we switched to a front three and he was superb against Leeds really driving at the defenders.   He then scored again against Ipswich, although missing a couple of other decent chances.

I'm often baffled as to how good he is.  Sometimes his work rate is very good and he does chase a lost cause.  He is cool on penalties and can take a sharp chance.  but he isn't a natural goal scorer and often seems poor in one on one situations. He's not got searing pace to play on the shoulder or trick to beat a player from out wide, nor is his hold up play fantastic but I have seen him play some lovely one touch link up with Gayle, Barnes and Phillips at times.

A few weeks ago I'd have taken a tenner and a bottle of whisky for him, but realistically you would think a pretty substantial sum would be required as he really is an integral part of a team currently challenging for promotion.....we'd probably miss him once he had gone!!

yeah, he's a bit of an enigma to me, he's not a goal machine and he doesn't lead the line, but he has good on the ball skills and I'm sure pro's would say "what he does off the ball" is great. Is he a prem league striker? I don't think so, but would he be a good component in a prem strikeforce?, probably.  A weird fish...

Offline BalisPen

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #1241 on: November 30, 2018, 03:12:48 PM »

Brentford rejected a Championship record transfer bid in the summer and he is now top scorer in the division. He'll cost more than Jay.

When push comes to shove I think Brentford would take about £10m.

But, in an ideal world I'd like us to do what we used to do best and bring in hidden gems like Koren and Mulumbu like before.

The likes of Bristol City managed to find Diedu and before him Kodija and Brentford found Maupay. We need to up our game scouting wise to find these types of players again.

Offline TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager
« Reply #1242 on: November 30, 2018, 04:58:40 PM »
When push comes to shove I think Brentford would take about £10m.

But, in an ideal world I'd like us to do what we used to do best and bring in hidden gems like Koren and Mulumbu like before.

The likes of Bristol City managed to find Diedu and before him Kodija and Brentford found Maupay. We need to up our game scouting wise to find these types of players again.

Why when they rejected more than that in the summer?
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Offline NJS

• Junior Baggie
« Reply #1243 on: November 30, 2018, 05:00:41 PM »
Heres the top scorers in championship list adjusted to exclude pens,  Jay comes in equal 22nd !

Well you can muck around with stats to prove any point.  I think he has played well in a sort of forward mid-field role.  He has worked hard and provided some valuable assists.
Hales Owen born.  "No rational argument will have a rational effect on a man who does not want to adopt a rational attitude."  Karl Popper
"You can be so irrational at times." Mrs NJS

Offline frazzle

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #1244 on: November 30, 2018, 06:29:06 PM »
Full disclosure - I love the guy. I think he's shown some real class, determination and leadership recently. For me he's a class act.

Online baggie53

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #1245 on: November 30, 2018, 06:44:13 PM »
It's true some of his goals have been pens, but look how many pens Shearer scored
Vorwärts die Breithosen !

Offline BalisPen

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #1246 on: November 30, 2018, 08:00:51 PM »

Why when they rejected more than that in the summer?

Can you provide a link for this bid, because I cannot find anything, which would have had to be over £15m for a player who hadn't been around for long and certainly would not be classed as proven.

Brentford have a long history of functioning on accepting bids and then getting in replacements through their money ball system.

That is why they sold gray, tarkowski, jota,  Woods and hogan amongst others.

All were sold for under 10m.

Online boinging_along

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #1247 on: November 30, 2018, 10:51:48 PM »
Like it or not, his goals scored stat is flattered thanks to the pens he has scored. I'm not sure he's won a pen yet either?

Obviously, it's still goals but they ARE as close to a 'gimme' as you can get. 

Offline WBArgo

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie
« Reply #1248 on: November 30, 2018, 10:53:04 PM »
Nothing wrong with scoring penalties, remember the times we couldn't score them for fun?
It shows he is composed and confident which is needed for a striker.

I think he's done ok this season. Sometimes he ghosts out of games for too long, but other times he comes up with important goals. Regardless, I am happy with him so far.
B_H_Baggie : Dexy : Dudleylad : kris_boing : OldburyWBA
Hull Baggie : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : Political Cake : tommcneill : WBArgo

Offline KN22

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #1249 on: December 03, 2018, 12:43:49 PM »
Full disclosure - I love the guy. I think he's shown some real class, determination and leadership recently. For me he's a class act.

I'm with you Frazzle