West Brom Dot Com

Author Topic: Salomon Rondon  (Read 516935 times)

Offline overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie
Re: Salomon Rondon
« Reply #4125 on: February 24, 2019, 09:34:23 AM »
NEWCASTLE have agreed a £51m deal to sign Brazilian striker Joelinton from Hoffenheim, according to reports.

If that happens, will Sol be on his way back to us I hope and wonder?

The source for this one is not the most reliable though!

Source: https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/761572/Newcastle-news-Joelinton-transfer-record-Almiron?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+daily-star-football+%28Daily+Star+%3A%3A+Football+Feed%29

Sol won’t be with us next year, I suspect even if we go up. Everton very keen on him, as are Cardiff (if they stay up).

Offline Andio

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #4126 on: March 06, 2019, 11:54:01 PM »
Interesting....

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/west-bromwich-albion/2019/03/06/salomon-rondons-165m-release-clause-returns-if-west-brom-fail-to-go-up/

Salomon Rondon will be allowed to leave this summer for £16.5million if the Baggies don’t go up – but will cost considerably more if promotion is achieved.

The Baggies striker, who is currently on loan at Newcastle United for the season, has the same release clause in his contract this summer as he did following relegation.

He has made it clear he would like to stay in the North East, where he says he feels settled, but any club will be able to trigger the release clause if they want to.

Rondon has a separate release clause in his contract if Albion do go up, believed to be north of £20m.

The Venezuelan striker, who cost Albion £12m in the summer of 2015, had a £16.5m release clause last summer which wasn’t triggered.

Newcastle wanted to sign him, but only on loan, and they agreed to send Dwight Gayle the other way to facilitate the deal.

The release clause means Albion are vulnerable to losing Rondon without getting a deal for Gayle in return.

But receiving £16.5m for a striker who turns 30 in September with a year left on his contract would represent healthy business for the Baggies.

Newcastle will be in pole position to sign Rondon in the summer, but under Mike Ashley, they have rarely signed players over the age of 29.

There is also uncertainty clouding Rafa Benitez’s future in the North East, and it was Benitez who pushed to sign Rondon.

Albion’s automatic promotion hopes have taken a dent recently, and they now sit seven points behind the top two.

But Darren Moore defended the character of his players after back-to-back defeats left them with a mountain to climb.

“I don’t think you can criticise the player’s characters, that’s one thing I’ll never do with them,” he said. “There’s some wonderful characters in there.

“You’ve got to remember over 34 games in the season, those characters haven’t been called into question.

“The most important thing is what we do going forward.”

Offline Mister AT

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #4127 on: March 07, 2019, 09:34:50 AM »
IF we go up, we would have a big decision on our hands with him.

He's come out and said he and his family are settled up north, do we look to sell him or would we keep him knowing he only has a year left on his contract and chances are wouldn't sign a new deal.

Offline tuamigos

• WBA Manager
« Reply #4128 on: March 07, 2019, 09:38:10 AM »
IF we go up, we would have a big decision on our hands with him.

He's come out and said he and his family are settled up north, do we look to sell him or would we keep him knowing he only has a year left on his contract and chances are wouldn't sign a new deal.

I think we obviously have a decision either way.
For me it's not complicated, he's intimated on more than one occasion he see's his future away from us.
That being the case just maximise the incoming fee that we can get for him, whether we sell him to the Toon or anywhere else he fancies.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Offline Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie
« Reply #4129 on: March 08, 2019, 07:52:51 AM »
I think we obviously have a decision either way.
For me it's not complicated, he's intimated on more than one occasion he see's his future away from us.
That being the case just maximise the incoming fee that we can get for him, whether we sell him to the Toon or anywhere else he fancies.

with you on that one.
 Sell him and if we do go up see if we can get Mitrovich from Fulham as well as getting Gayle. If we don't go up see if Newcastle will do a deal with Murphy and Gayle staying.
B_H_Baggie : Dexy : Dudleylad : kris_boing : OldburyWBA
Hull Baggie : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : Political Cake : tommcneill : WBArgo

Offline mulliganstired

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #4130 on: March 08, 2019, 08:26:56 AM »
with you on that one.
 Sell him and if we do go up see if we can get Mitrovich from Fulham as well as getting Gayle. If we don't go up see if Newcastle will do a deal with Murphy and Gayle staying.
That would be a good front line.

Offline tuamigos

• WBA Manager
« Reply #4131 on: March 08, 2019, 08:46:37 AM »
That would be a good front line.

and where's HRK fit in to that line up?  :o
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Offline TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager
« Reply #4132 on: March 16, 2019, 11:02:25 PM »
Another Match Of The Day feature on Salomon. Some player this lad, we've massively missed his presence.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Offline Adder

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie
« Reply #4133 on: March 16, 2019, 11:13:50 PM »
Looks like we'll be getting £16.5m anyway, either from Newcastle or someone else if Ashley doesn't fork out.

Offline TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager
« Reply #4134 on: March 16, 2019, 11:16:05 PM »
Looks like we'll be getting £16.5m anyway, either from Newcastle or someone else if Ashley doesn't fork out.

Hopefully that somehow lapses, easily worth £25-30 million.

Offline ashdoy

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #4135 on: March 16, 2019, 11:31:46 PM »

Hopefully that somehow lapses, easily worth £25-30 million.

Easily.

Benteke, Jimenez, Dack etc all valued much higher. Rondon better than all.
Hoof Hoof! Thats the sound of da Pulis!

Offline OllieTheBaggie

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #4136 on: March 17, 2019, 12:03:14 AM »
He's shown what he can do with a bit of service this season, a seriously class number 9. Was wasted under the dinosaur

Offline cads_ap_albion

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #4137 on: March 17, 2019, 08:19:09 AM »
Easily.

Benteke, Jimenez, Dack etc all valued much higher. Rondon better than all.

Only one year on his contract though? £16m would seem about right for one year?
Nice one Cyrille, nice one son

Offline Adder

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie
« Reply #4138 on: March 17, 2019, 09:42:45 AM »
Only one year on his contract though? £16m would seem about right for one year?
Yes I would say so. Someone will be meeting the release clause of £16.5m. If we are still in the Championship I hope Newcastle or someone else meets it early so we can build our own plans.

Offline AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie
« Reply #4139 on: March 21, 2019, 08:33:40 PM »
The Everton interest that could impact this transfer between West Brom and Newcastle United

Oh, I hope there’s a bidding war. Tony Cascarino said he was worth £50m earlier in the week

Source: https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/everton-interest-could-impact-transfer-16010845.amp?__twitter_impression=true

I realise he has a £16m buyout clause before anyone mentions it, but just wondering and hoping, but would like to keep him
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 08:36:07 PM by AlbionFan »
respect and humility for everyone, absolutely everyone, who we come into contact with”

Tolerance, Understanding, Acceptance, Patience

Offline vrabbit

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #4140 on: March 22, 2019, 08:15:23 PM »
I try not to, but so often I wonder how many he would had scored for us in the Championship this season. Then I saw the run he made, ball control he showed, and goal he scored in 5 minutes vs Argentina and it made me REALLY wonder.

Offline TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager
« Reply #4141 on: March 22, 2019, 08:40:23 PM »
I try not to, but so often I wonder how many he would had scored for us in the Championship this season. Then I saw the run he made, ball control he showed, and goal he scored in 5 minutes vs Argentina and it made me REALLY wonder.

He'd have around 30 goals imo. Would have allowed us to go long at times when we had no plan B. Championship defenders are so poor too. Alas as I said when it looked like we'd go down he would not countenance playing at this level as he is too good for it and so it came to pass.

Offline timdon

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #4142 on: March 22, 2019, 10:44:42 PM »
The attacking football we have played for most of this season would have been manna from heaven for Rondon, and I think he would have been the difference between top 2 and top 6. Unfortunately we will probably lose him even if we do go up as, even at 30, he represents great value for £16 million, a snip in Premier League terms. Still can't believe the number of people on here who were unable to appreciate what he bought to the team.

Offline KN22

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #4143 on: March 22, 2019, 10:48:53 PM »
Very convenient memories imo. 30 goals? Barn doors and banjos spring to mind 😂

Offline Nice1Cyrille

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #4144 on: March 23, 2019, 12:45:29 AM »

He'd have around 30 goals imo. Would have allowed us to go long at times when we had no plan B. Championship defenders are so poor too. Alas as I said when it looked like we'd go down he would not countenance playing at this level as he is too good for it and so it came to pass.
IMO he'd  be around 20 max. Would only be as good as the crosses and opportunities provided to him.
Seen him miss way too many open goals to think he is worth more than 16 million.

Offline richjonawba

• WBA Coach
« Reply #4145 on: March 23, 2019, 07:58:27 AM »
IMO he'd  be around 20 max. Would only be as good as the crosses and opportunities provided to him.
Seen him miss way too many open goals to think he is worth more than 16 million.

I can't recall ever seeing him miss an "open goal", do you have an example of the many times?

Offline BigFrank20

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #4146 on: March 23, 2019, 08:05:36 AM »
30 goals? Barn doors and banjos spring to mind 😂
I think you'll find he meant 30 years of age (actually I think he's still 29 ATM)
BoingBoing, a Baggie born and a Baggie I shall die (one day)

Offline KN22

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #4147 on: March 23, 2019, 09:07:48 AM »
30 goals was definitely mentioned. The guy has an amazing work rate and holds the ball up well but he is not a 30 goals a season man and never has been.

Offline Standaman

• WBA Coach
« Reply #4148 on: March 23, 2019, 10:31:00 AM »
Rondon shots and goals stats are up on where they were with us. That is the key if you compare his scoring output with an acknowledged world class striker say Aguero he scores roughly half the goals off a bit less than half the shots.

Conclusions Aguero is on an elite team and is getting a lot more shooting opportunities but is converting at a better rate (haven't factored xg in here so quality of shooting opportunity is assumed to be equal). Rondon is on a mid to lower ranking side which is fairly defensive (as opposed to ultra defensive with us) and his output reflects that. Were you to swap the two players my guess that Rondon would outscore Aguero but not by a factor of 2.

Unleahsed on fairly brittle Championship defences in an attack orientated team it is reasonable to assume is he would score a lot but that is kind of academic.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 10:33:54 AM by Standaman »
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Offline Nice1Cyrille

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #4149 on: March 23, 2019, 02:41:38 PM »
I can't recall ever seeing him miss an "open goal", do you have an example of the many times?

I thought I'd give you a small example of some responses to his performance reviews but Tottenham at Wembley springs to mind

« Reply #2379 on: August 31, 2017, 08:12:53 AM »
However, when he has had clear chances, he has not been very prolific or clinical. I reckon his shots to target ratio must be quite low. His link up play along the ground is not that great. He is one player we should be prepared to offload if the right offer came in.

It was something like 8.3%, the lowest in the league.  this has always been my issue with Rondon he is far too wasteful. Take Sunday for example and the chance he had at the end, I know he was stretching for it but it went out for a throw in!

« Reply #2406 on: September 01, 2017, 09:44:19 AM »
His one on one chances are abysmal.
I'd always back the keeper

« Reply #2407 on: September 01, 2017, 09:52:59 AM »
Quote from: TheBrom on September 01, 2017, 09:39:12 AM
Thing is we keep saying how difficult it is, but the other two strikers have managed to put their limited chances away and get on the scoresheet.

Think this is his problem, his chance conversion rate isn't good enough for a team such as ours that doesn't create 10-15 clear chances each game.

Pretty much how I feel about him. Scored 1 in every 11/12 chances he got last season, didn't even score against weaker sides in pre season, hardly ever puts the ball in the back of the net during warm ups (even when the goal is empty!).