Poll

Who will be the next West Brom manager? *FINAL VOTE*

Ralf Rangnick
Chris Hughton
Andre Villas-Boas
Ray Wilkins
Michael Appleton

Author Topic: Next Manager  (Read 1270456 times)

JtheMull

• Youth Baggie

Next Manager
« on: April 09, 2012, 07:46:03 AM »
Peace has given the green light for the FA to approach Roy Hodgson to fill the empty seat of the England Job. What happens if (or rather when) Hodgson goes? Who comes in? ??? ??? ??? Be realistic!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 08:27:22 PM by JtheMull »
Dum. Dum dum dum dum dum.....

Floydy

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Next Manager
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 08:34:56 AM »
I think 2 of the most likely (and most worrying) have been missed off the list in Appleton and McInnes. Furthermore I think half of that list is completely unrealistic.

In fact I think it is more likely to be a manager from the Championship, lower leagues or Scotland.

The next managerial appointment could make or break our club. For me we have to look for Premier league experience, but I feel it will be another Mowbray/RDM calibre appointment.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 08:36:27 AM by Floydy »
Twitter: @floydy1983

JtheMull

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 09:40:27 AM »
Floydy- I agree that McInnes is a worrying possibility but Appleton is doing brilliant managing Portsmouth. He wouldn't come back to MANAGE the Albion. He's a Championship manager at best. I also agree the likes of Rafa Benitez and Martin O'Neill are unrealistic but who else is 'unrealistic'. Owen Coyle and Mark Hughes are likely to be jobless in the next few months-they're not Championship managers. Alan Curbishley is probably our best chance though.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 01:19:14 PM by OldburyWBA »

Lloydy

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 09:42:37 AM »
Chris Hughton is the standout candidate, he's done a fantastic job at Birmingham and at the Toon.

If he's not available I'd like us to give Solskjaer a chance, or possibly go continental and go for someone like Laudrup who is already used to working in a setup like ours.
No no, no no no no, no no no no, no no shots on target.......

JtheMull

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 09:50:53 AM »
Lloydy- I agree but we have more chance with Curbishley. He's jobless and (like Chris Hughton and Solskjaer) his style of play suits us. I have to admit Laudrup is very experienced and would probably go for West Brom.  :-\
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 01:19:26 PM by OldburyWBA »

Lloydy

• WBA Manager

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 09:54:44 AM »
@Lloydy- I agree but we have more chance with Curbishley. He's jobless and (like Chris Hughton and Solskjaer) his style of play suits us. I have to admit Laudrup is very experienced and would probably go for West Brom.  :-\

I wouldn't like Curbishley, rejected us before because we were apparently "below" him. Can't stand the arrogant tool. Let him go to W*lves in the Championship.
No no, no no no no, no no no no, no no shots on target.......

JtheMull

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 09:58:55 AM »
Lloydy- When did he say that? Also when did he reject us?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 01:19:41 PM by OldburyWBA »

baggies37

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 10:04:34 AM »
It looks like the FA are going to offer Harry Redknapp AND Roy Hodgson the England Job within the next few weeks. What happens if (or when) Hodgson goes? Who comes in? ??? ??? ??? Be realistic!

less i just got up late this morning where on earth does it say that?

some one got a link?
norwich baggies

JtheMull

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 10:07:23 AM »
baggies37-It said it in the daily mail a few days ago.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 01:19:53 PM by OldburyWBA »

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2012, 10:16:51 AM »
I didn't vote Martinez but i wouldn't be disappointed if we got him.I think he would do better at a bigger club than Wigan. I know its looking likely he will take Wigan down but they were only going to have a short life in the premier league anyway and he started the football philosophy at Swansea
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

koren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2012, 10:24:15 AM »
Chris Hughton or Mark Hughes for me.Chris has enough ability to manage a premier league team and I'm confident that he will make us to be a established mid-table team.For Mark Hughes,although  some people don't like him,I rated him highly.His results in man city may prove that he isn't a suitable manager for a top team,but his record in blackburn have proved that he is a class manager for managing mid-table team.Although blackburn didn't have huge budget(similar with us),he still could bring blackburn to europe.Therefore,one of them join us will  satisfy me.
The PRIDE of midlands

ian

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2012, 11:06:59 AM »
Paul Lambert would be worth a look as would nigel clough

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2012, 11:32:45 AM »
Managers with Premier League experience are either employed by other Premier League clubs or out of work because they buggered up their last appointment there is one exception to this and that is Chris Hughton. Otherwise I would look at the up and coming managers on the list Poyet and Freeman being the most obvious.

To suggest the likes of Hughes, O'Neil and Keane is just laughable both in terms of availability, wages and transfer budget. Hughes left Fulham because they lacked ambition god knows what he would make of working under  Peace at the Hawthorns.  Personally I would love to get Brendan Rodgers but there is the small matter of the £5m release clause in his contract and why would leave Swansea for us?   
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 11:35:21 AM by standaman »
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

TAFKATMNo1Fan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2012, 11:36:16 AM »
The Chelsea manager is doing quite well ;-)

JtheMull

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2012, 11:39:25 AM »
TAFKATMNo1Fan- Yes but he's already gone through the West Brom experience.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 01:20:09 PM by OldburyWBA »

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2012, 01:11:07 PM »
Mull, your tagline just made me spill my tea. Very good mate.
Whenever things look bad, remember the Port Vale, Grimsby and Walsall days... not so bad now, eh?!

Formally Solo_Baggie, now one ID for all Baggie internet input

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2012, 01:43:18 PM »
Curbishley is so far up himself you'd never get him back down far enough to attend the interview, plus he'd want a kings ransome in transfer budgets.
One missing from the list that I would plum for would be Nigel Adkins, currently at Southampton
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2012, 01:55:58 PM »
Right now Baggie Bird has more votes than Allardyce, Bruce, O'Neil and Erricksson combined.  :D Might be a better option than at least 3 of those.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Baggie Artist

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2012, 02:16:20 PM »
Poyet and Hughton for their good football.

Wbahunty

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2012, 02:47:50 PM »
It has to be a forward step from Hodgson and there is only one manager on that list who IMO would be a forward step and thats Benitez.

Allardyce, Bruce, O'Neil come close and maybe Erricksson but they dont topple Hodgson!

As long as it someone who is not in the Championship!

GrGr

• WBA Coach

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2012, 02:57:10 PM »
It has to be a forward step from Hodgson and there is only one manager on that list who IMO would be a forward step and thats Benitez.

Allardyce, Bruce, O'Neil come close and maybe Erricksson but they dont topple Hodgson!

As long as it someone who is not in the Championship!

Huh? Eriksson's CV makes Roy's look like a joke tbh.

Londonbaggymike

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2012, 03:01:45 PM »
I'm going to stick my neck out and say...

... There is absolutely no chance of the FA employing both Harry and Roy. I can't believe that anyone trusts anything written in the daily mail especially something this ridiculous.

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2012, 03:03:49 PM »
Eriksson doesn't have the heart to be a manager anymore. Ever since leaving England he's just bounced around jobs pretty half heartedly (although he did ok at Man City) he also spends loads of money everywhere he goes.

GrGr

• WBA Coach

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2012, 03:06:35 PM »
Eriksson doesn't have the heart to be a manager anymore. Ever since leaving England he's just bounced around jobs pretty half heartedly (although he did ok at Man City) he also spends loads of money everywhere he goes.

Agreed. By the looks of it he has lost his belly for football, but not for fine wines and ladies.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2012, 03:06:57 PM »
What if you don't like any of the choices listed?

I think there's some names on there which are totally out of our reach; Benitez, Hughes, O'Neill - Benitez apparently turned down the Villa job because he wasn't happy with the war chest available so there's little chance of him coming here.

If Roy does decide to go I don't know which route I would prefer, the younger manager route like Michael Appleton or the more experienced type of guy. It's a decision I'm glad I don't have to make.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom