Author Topic: Fortress Hawthorns - Bring the Noise  (Read 47408 times)

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

Re: Fortress Hawthorns - Bring the Noise
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2017, 03:23:19 PM »
Give us some examples.

Standing being responded to by being shoved.
Standing being responded to by ejection from ground
When the "lads" tried to mass to get some atmosphere going they were not allowed to because they were not in nominated seats.
General belligerence and "attitude" being confrontational
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

kc56wba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2017, 03:36:26 PM »
Standing being responded to by being shoved.
Standing being responded to by ejection from ground
When the "lads" tried to mass to get some atmosphere going they were not allowed to because they were not in nominated seats.
General belligerence and "attitude" being confrontational

Right thanks for that I will bring this up at the next Assembly meeting.
IT'S MORE THAN A CLUB, IT'S OUR CULTURE

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2017, 03:39:39 PM »
Right thanks for that I will bring this up at the next Assembly meeting.

I'm sure you will get more feedback from other contributors its not a good relationship between fans and stewards at the back of the Brummie
Albion Family !!!

DaveWBA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2017, 03:42:18 PM »
I don't think they are running the club based on the whims of this forum (or at least I hope not), but local journalists will read this board, as well as some of the club that are concerned with fan engagement. Maybe even Policing

Especially the police. Whenever we play Wolves or Villa look out for the threads regarding what pubs everyone is drinking in.

Stewarding in the BRE has been a joke for a number of seasons. I doubt this will change in respect to people standing until there is a group consistently the size of the SME stood each game. Currently the group of 40-50 or so in the back corner are an easy target, or always were when I used to watch from up there.

DaveWBA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2017, 03:42:55 PM »
I'm sure you will get more feedback from other contributors its not a good relationship between fans and stewards at the back of the Brummie

Is the bald steward with the big earring still knocking about? He was on the most impressive of power trips when I last saw him, they'd given him a headset and everything.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2017, 03:45:01 PM »
Dunno, I stopped going in the brummie precisely because the atmosphere was non-existent, ironically we go in the east stand now.
Albion Family !!!

Dan87uk

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2017, 03:59:09 PM »
All of the above can be remedied by a concerted effort by all the fans in the ground doing exactly the same thing. 30 stewards vs thousands of fans singing and creating that great atmosphere is not going to be very effective, but if its 30 stewards vs 50-60 fans in a small corner of the stand then it's easy pickings for them to be belligerent.

I really do honestly hope the club shift some more focus to the fans in the ground as well, We need to do our bit but so do they. The more we raise the profile of threads like this one, on twitter, in the paper, on the radio call ins etc then the more they will pay attention to buy back into it too.
The Only Dependable Thing About The Future Is Uncertainty

BigFrank20

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2017, 04:36:05 PM »
I've long advocated getting the old phone out and taking moving pictures of their actions and attitudes
One of two things usually then happens
They stop or moderate their behaviour or there is visual evidence to back up the claims
Im an avid Smethwickian these days but was brought up standing on the Brummie.
Went up there for a cup game a few years ago and found the stewarding so neanderthal I vowed never again 
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 04:38:00 PM by BigFrank20 »
BoingBoing, a Baggie born and a Baggie I shall die (one day)

miggybaggy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2017, 04:48:48 PM »
I reckon a lot of fans don't go anymore because the whole match day experience (and atmosphere is a massive part of that) has been ruined by stewards in the Brummie. Its as though they don't want anyone there.

Dan87uk

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2017, 05:30:16 PM »
 I've seen the Stewards in action a couple of times in the Brummy and it definitely does not help! but as I said above, if we're all singing from the same hymn sheet (pun most certainly intended  ;D) then there is not a fat lot they can do about it to hush the noise of so many.

But that still doesn't explain why the East and West stands are so quiet though  ::) they barely wake up unless there's a goal! This needs to improve massively too, though I think the key to that is probably getting both "ends" of the ground to raise the volume and it'll egg on the rest down the sides then too :)

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2017, 05:58:14 PM »
I think it's fair to say that most of the stewards are not known for tact or discretion, they have a brief to follow, & generally follow it to the letter.

On the other hand there are a set of statutory regulations that all Premier League clubs have to follow, these are WBA's

https://www.wba.co.uk/club/the-hawthorns/ground-regulations/

It's part of the steward's job to enforce those regulations.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2017, 06:03:17 PM »
Couple of points.

I've been going up since '94. Back in the 90s, you could hear the fans singing as you approached the ground. For a long time that has not been the case, not just the past few years. Perhaps it was the terracing that made it more atmospheric?

With regards stewards and standing, I have mixed feelings on this. I understand that fans want atmosphere and it's natural to want to stand in this situation, but when you think that kids can't see when everyone stands up it's not really fair. And if your kid is as heavy as mine, you wouldn't be holding him for 90 mins!

And I've been in nasty situations myself, where a group of guys have pushed into my row while every one is standing and then when we're told to sit down there aren't enough seats and it got heated. It's happened a couple of times, once in the east stand and once in the brummie. The one in the east was the worst as we were playing Blues and there were scuffles all around me.

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2017, 06:23:22 PM »
Especially the police. Whenever we play Wolves or Villa look out for the threads regarding what pubs everyone is drinking in.

Stewarding in the BRE has been a joke for a number of seasons. I doubt this will change in respect to people standing until there is a group consistently the size of the SME stood each game. Currently the group of 40-50 or so in the back corner are an easy target, or always were when I used to watch from up there.

That's how it used to be in the Smethwick. I remember years ago it only used to be the top 4 rows or so that would stand and it was a constant back and forth with the stewards. Usually ended with a few rounds of stand up if you love West Brom.

Not sure what happened but every game now it's nearly the entire stand of us standing and I think the stewards have seen sense and given up!

Dan87uk

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2017, 07:34:30 PM »
That's how it used to be in the Smethwick. I remember years ago it only used to be the top 4 rows or so that would stand and it was a constant back and forth with the stewards. Usually ended with a few rounds of stand up if you love West Brom.

Not sure what happened but every game now it's nearly the entire stand of us standing and I think the stewards have seen sense and given up!

and this is the exact reason we need to start doing the same in the Brummy... I'm not too bothered about the standing part specifically, I can sing just as easily sitting down, but at the moment it seems like there is a fear for anyone to even try singing anything as nobody else joins in or just looks at you like "wtf are you doing that for?" and I genuinely hope that it's something we can address to help improve that mindset and atmosphere inside the stadium.

You've just got to join in with that one bloke who is always trying to start it off or try and get it going yourself :D (yes i'll probably be the only idiot in the east stand on Saturday trying to sing stuff on me tod but i'll try nonetheless until it works!)

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2017, 09:28:33 PM »
get on a good run results wise with attacking football and the atmosphere will usually sort itself out, they go hand in hand really in my experience.

Dan87uk

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2017, 10:10:37 PM »
That's a given :) but it can be induced much sooner if we're already up for it from the get go!

chris-wba

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2017, 11:36:42 PM »
Would be interesting to know where the people who are sounding enthusiastic on this forum sit in the ground.

If you want some real noise in the Albion, then you need to get all those who are enthusiastic and up for it one place. Buy your half season tickets and full ones next season in the Smethwick. You'll see a difference.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2017, 01:29:56 AM »
Would be interesting to know where the people who are sounding enthusiastic on this forum sit in the ground.

If you want some real noise in the Albion, then you need to get all those who are enthusiastic and up for it one place. Buy your half season tickets and full ones next season in the Smethwick. You'll see a difference.

Smethwick End Row RR Block 1 but decent spaces are like rocking horse sh it for most games.

Not everyone by me sings and it's no terrace Nirvana, but we have a good go most of the time.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2017, 06:03:25 AM »
I am 71 years old and still a "singer" but in the East Stand we only seem to join in The Lord, and We're the Albion, and never start off anything except "the wave" when prompted by the Smethwick, and we have not had occasion to do that for a bloody long time. :(
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

Dan87uk

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2017, 09:48:40 AM »
I am 71 years old and still a "singer" but in the East Stand we only seem to join in The Lord, and We're the Albion, and never start off anything except "the wave" when prompted by the Smethwick, and we have not had occasion to do that for a bloody long time. :(

Let's change it then :D i'm in the east stand (in line with the 6 yard box at the smethwick end) and i'll probably be easy to spot as the only one singing until the rest join in   ;D

I really do want this to become a thing and to have some energy in the crowd instead of a crowd that seems tranquilised!

chris-wba

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2017, 09:57:17 AM »
Smethwick End Row RR Block 1 but decent spaces are like rocking horse sh it for most games.

Not everyone by me sings and it's no terrace Nirvana, but we have a good go most of the time.

I'd go as far as to.put it on the tickets that the Smethwick End is the dedicated stand for active supporters or something like that.

You're right there's a lot in the Smethwick that don't sing, and I'm sure a lot around the ground that would.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2017, 04:46:32 PM »
Just wondering whether doing some Pardew style 'Dad's dancing' for goal celebrations is feasible in an all-seater stadium.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2017, 07:49:57 PM »
Just wondering whether doing some Pardew style 'Dad's dancing' for goal celebrations is feasible in an all-seater stadium.

I'd imagine it's far more feasible than a bunch of overweight middle aged men boinging after goals and smashing their knees to naughty word on the seats in front.

tegga

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2017, 08:18:33 PM »
Brummie road ender and season ticket holder here. I love joining in with the singing and chanting and would look forward to a better atmosphere down the Brummie. Fans down this end need to get together and make an effort to get this stand noisy again.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2017, 11:34:37 PM »
Brummie road ender and season ticket holder here. I love joining in with the singing and chanting and would look forward to a better atmosphere down the Brummie. Fans down this end need to get together and make an effort to get this stand noisy again.

Do you know what Tegga?

Speaking as a die hard Smethwick Ender I'd absolutely love it if the Brummie were to take off again.

For me the Smeth's had a damned good go for the last twenty odd years but while we have the effort we just don't have the numbers.

To my mind the Brummie is the spiritual home and traditional heartbeat of the Albion.

If you can get that roar going again then fantastic and all good with me fella.

COYB  8) .