Author Topic: Telephone Call from the Club  (Read 10601 times)

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

Telephone Call from the Club
« on: April 02, 2020, 09:32:28 PM »
Hello to all of the fans on here born before 1951.

This afternoon, I had a brilliant telephone conversation with a guy from the Albion Foundation checking that I was OK.

We spent about 10 minutes talking about times gone by & although I'm personally not a fan of nostalgia, it would be terrific for some of our fans who are over 70 & feeling really lonely at the moment.

Just wanted to say, that it made me really proud to be part of an Albion family that are so caring in what has been the most trying period in my lifetime.

Apologies to any fans who were born before 1941 who must have had even more trying early days.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

kc56wba

• WBA Coach

Re: Telephone Call from the Club
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2020, 10:07:29 PM »
Hello to all of the fans on here born before 1951.

This afternoon, I had a brilliant telephone conversation with a guy from the Albion Foundation checking that I was OK.

We spent about 10 minutes talking about times gone by & although I'm personally not a fan of nostalgia, it would be terrific for some of our fans who are over 70 & feeling really lonely at the moment.

Just wanted to say, that it made me really proud to be part of an Albion family that are so caring in what has been the most trying period in my lifetime.

Apologies to any fans who were born before 1941 who must have had even more trying early days.

Hi John yes I had a call from them the other night, they were checking on members of WBA  Disabled supporters club, I was quite annoyed really, the chap said we are checking on people over 65, I am only 63 :(  joking apart it makes you proud that the club we support are doing sterling work during this crisis.
IT'S MORE THAN A CLUB, IT'S OUR CULTURE

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2020, 10:10:27 PM »
That's a nice touch. How about calls for 35 year olds stressed from work?!
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2020, 10:12:37 PM »
Class call mate, I am a class of 52

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2020, 09:09:04 PM »
I think Albion and Wolves have done really well this last month, particularly us. Really glad to see us doing this sort of thing.
Boing Boing

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2020, 09:25:28 PM »
I had a call today, and the caller told me that 50 people have been tasked  with calling 3000 people to check on their well being.
Apparently I am one of 1800 over-seventy STH's and there are 1200 disabled and other groups who the club will try to assist if they are experiencing difficulties at the present time. Had a chat about the season so far, and I was assured that if I needed any assistance going forward , I could call the guy back and he would do his best to provide help. Good call from a nice guy, good shout by the club, much appreciated.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

baggieboyfred

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2020, 12:00:26 PM »
Been a fan for 66 years and I had a call from club as well last week  , often felt the club had got things wrong from time to time over the years when dealing with fans especially in recent times , but this time they are spot on, 1st class, always been proud to be a "baggie"  double so today  hats of to you my club

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2020, 04:46:49 PM »
Been a fan for 66 years and I had a call from club as well last week  , often felt the club had got things wrong from time to time over the years when dealing with fans especially in recent times , but this time they are spot on, 1st class, always been proud to be a "baggie"  double so today  hats of to you my club

I think when you look at the performances by some of the so called big teams we have a lot to be grateful for
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2020, 08:00:15 PM »
I think when you look at the performances by some of the so called big teams we have a lot to be grateful for

Bigger isn't always better tuamigos mukka. ;)

Adamstv

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2020, 09:28:59 PM »
This is a message my mum put on Facebook yesterday. Whilst my dad is in hospital it really made her day. She spoke to Graham for about 30 minutes. I am chuffed to bits with our club. By the way I’m 60 next week ! And me my mum and my son are all STH and sit together in the east stand. I’ve been going for 52 years and never felt prouder of my club

“Today, after having had my husband admitted to hospital, not with Coronavirus , I came home a little downhearted.
Knew he was in the best hands and at teatime received a phone call reassuring me of his condition.
Noticed there was a message but didn't recognise the mans voice or even get his name.
Then whilst having a sandwich the phone rings.   The voice at the other end asked who this was and I replied
Mrs Bailey (thinking it was the hospital again). He then said this is GRAHAM WILLIAMS from WBA.  He asked how
I was and did I need anything with regard to the current situation. Wow I was bowled over. We continued to chat
about  everyday life and football.  I remarked about things I remembered in the past including the time
When, at 15yrs of age I worked for Vono Ltd in Tipton.   Now I knew he would remember this because he said
WBA used to train on our ground to which I replied we used to watch them from our office window and then
at lunchtime the team would come into our canteen and have lunch.  I still have my autograph book with
Bobby Robson and the rest of the team who signed it.  Graham and I had the most loveliest conversation.
He even asked who my favourite player was, without any hesitation I replied Brunty.  This was besides WBA
ringing two weeks ago to ask if they could be of any help or did we need anything.
 What a Club, brilliant in every way.
 Thank you all for caring and cheering me up on what has been a worrying day.
Love you all can't wait to get back to 3.00pm on Saturdays.”

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2020, 09:50:39 PM »
thats brilliant, hope Dad recovers well and pleased as punch for your mom,

Well done WBA FC
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2020, 10:30:00 PM »
This is a message my mum put on Facebook yesterday. Whilst my dad is in hospital it really made her day. She spoke to Graham for about 30 minutes. I am chuffed to bits with our club. By the way I’m 60 next week ! And me my mum and my son are all STH and sit together in the east stand. I’ve been going for 52 years and never felt prouder of my club

“Today, after having had my husband admitted to hospital, not with Coronavirus , I came home a little downhearted.
Knew he was in the best hands and at teatime received a phone call reassuring me of his condition.
Noticed there was a message but didn't recognise the mans voice or even get his name.
Then whilst having a sandwich the phone rings.   The voice at the other end asked who this was and I replied
Mrs Bailey (thinking it was the hospital again). He then said this is GRAHAM WILLIAMS from WBA.  He asked how
I was and did I need anything with regard to the current situation. Wow I was bowled over. We continued to chat
about  everyday life and football.  I remarked about things I remembered in the past including the time
When, at 15yrs of age I worked for Vono Ltd in Tipton.   Now I knew he would remember this because he said
WBA used to train on our ground to which I replied we used to watch them from our office window and then
at lunchtime the team would come into our canteen and have lunch.  I still have my autograph book with
Bobby Robson and the rest of the team who signed it.  Graham and I had the most loveliest conversation.
He even asked who my favourite player was, without any hesitation I replied Brunty.  This was besides WBA
ringing two weeks ago to ask if they could be of any help or did we need anything.
 What a Club, brilliant in every way.
 Thank you all for caring and cheering me up on what has been a worrying day.
Love you all can't wait to get back to 3.00pm on Saturdays.”

There's bad news every day, & I think I'm coping, but (I'm sure like others) I have my moments, in what is a totally alien & surreal situation.
Have to say what the Albion are doing is really heartwarming.
All the best to you & your Dad & Mum.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

don1thedon

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2020, 11:14:18 PM »
Thanks for sharing, makes you really proud that our club is reaching out to people is such a compassionate & personal way.
I hope your Dad improves very soon Adamstv, all the best to your Mom, you and the rest of your family.

Adamstv

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2020, 11:43:31 PM »
thats brilliant, hope Dad recovers well and pleased as punch for your mom,

Well done WBA FC

Many thanks for your kind wishes

Adamstv

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2020, 11:46:36 PM »
There's bad news every day, & I think I'm coping, but (I'm sure like others) I have my moments, in what is a totally alien & surreal situation.
Have to say what the Albion are doing is really heartwarming.
All the best to you & your Dad & Mum.

Have to agree it is surreal times we are in and I thank you for your kind wishes. Let’s hope we are back at the Hawthorns sooner rather than later and we have found a vaccine for this curse

Adamstv

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2020, 11:49:25 PM »
Thanks for sharing, makes you really proud that our club is reaching out to people is such a compassionate & personal way.
I hope your Dad improves very soon Adamstv, all the best to your Mom, you and the rest of your family.

Many thanks. It’s keep your fingers crossed for my dad but he’s a fighter . The call just helped my mum to forget her worries for now and talk about the “good old days “

Maresca Was A Baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2020, 01:31:33 PM »
Seriously I have a tear in my eye as i type this. So heartwarming to hear the club making an effort. Hope everyone on here, their family and friends stay safe.
It's times like these when we see class like Albion doing their thing.

All the very best everyone

TiptonThrostle

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2020, 04:50:33 PM »
That’s brilliant, amazing story. Glad it helped you John.

I lost my dad 3 days ago to Coronavirus and has completely ripped my life apart. He was only 57 and my best man at my wedding just 6 months ago.

Jake Livermore phoned me yesterday to have a chat. Unbelievable gesture.

He is a lovely man and I am so proud to support such a special club.

We are Albion.💙

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2020, 05:14:04 PM »
Sorry for your loss Tipton Throstle.

Topman

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2020, 05:27:33 PM »
Really good from the club that they are doing this. I’m so sorry to hear about people’s pain and loss at this time. I’m sorry to ask a materialistic question, how is the club doing this? Who are the phoning? All elderly supporters? Or anyone who is a season ticket holders?

kc56wba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2020, 05:58:20 PM »

I lost my dad 3 days ago to Coronavirus and has completely ripped my life apart. He was only 57 and my best man at my wedding just 6 months ago.

We are Albion.💙

Tipton Throstle tears running down my cheek reading that. So sorry for your loss.

Our football club is truly a family club.
IT'S MORE THAN A CLUB, IT'S OUR CULTURE

TiptonThrostle

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2020, 06:13:18 PM »
Tipton Throstle tears running down my cheek reading that. So sorry for your loss.

Our football club is truly a family club.

Thank you.

I couldn’t believe it when I said hello and he said it’s jake Livermore. The club I have always loved and meant so much to me and dad has just gone above and beyond lately and even support from fellow baggies.

I am so proud to support this club.

TLMS💙

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2020, 06:54:37 PM »
Once again well done WBAFC and Jake, thats a really tough call to have to make, so respect is deserved to Jake.
Sorry to hear about your mate Tipton, its disturbing to hear, yet alone under such horrendous circumstances. No words!
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Adamstv

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2020, 07:39:16 PM »

We are Albion.💙

So sorry for your loss. May he RIP.

don1thedon

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2020, 08:57:28 PM »
So very sorry for your loss TiptonThrostle, my thoughts are with you and your family.