Author Topic: Claudio Yacob (Left, now at Nottm Forest)  (Read 325606 times)

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

Re: Claudio Yacob
« Reply #1200 on: December 15, 2017, 11:18:33 AM »
I'll admit I'm not as big a fan of Yacob as most people, but we have to be careful with renewing contracts for players over 30. Yacob will be 31 at the start of next season. I think if players are nailed on starters then fair enough but I'm not sure if Yacob is in that category (not many of our squad are).
As Standaman said above it depends what style we are planning to play. There are questions like how good will Sam Field be in 1 or 2 years time (the signs are good) and how will he be used ? Whoever the player is there is an opportunity to upgrade when they are at the end of their contract and it's an important decision as to where the wages will be tied up.
I wouldn't rule out giving Yacob an extension but there's a lot to consider first.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1201 on: December 15, 2017, 01:24:03 PM »
I'll admit I'm not as big a fan of Yacob as most people, but we have to be careful with renewing contracts for players over 30. Yacob will be 31 at the start of next season. I think if players are nailed on starters then fair enough but I'm not sure if Yacob is in that category (not many of our squad are).
As Standaman said above it depends what style we are planning to play. There are questions like how good will Sam Field be in 1 or 2 years time (the signs are good) and how will he be used ? Whoever the player is there is an opportunity to upgrade when they are at the end of their contract and it's an important decision as to where the wages will be tied up.
I wouldn't rule out giving Yacob an extension but there's a lot to consider first.

Yacob has never had any pace, his game is all about tenacity, intelligence, passion, the will to win coupled with the ability to read the game and extinguish danger. His age isn't an issue. He has to be the first name on the team sheet for me regardless of formation or tactics. His inclusion frees up Chadli or Morrison etc to express themselves so it's a complete no brainer. The fact is you won't get a better defensive midfielder than Yacob so unless we are reincarnating Roy Keane or Scholes we won't have an "upgrade" - how do you better Yacob as a holding midfielder anyway. I can't think of many players in the league better at what he does, Kante maybe.

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1202 on: December 15, 2017, 01:36:14 PM »
Would cost a fortune to upgrade yacob,would need serious consideration not renewing his services next summer when we will likely let Greg go back to PSG & Barry could be released added to both Morrison and Brunt in the later stages of their careers it would leave one he'll of a midfield rebuild.

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1203 on: February 25, 2018, 09:26:23 AM »
Why hasnt Yacob been involved more recently??

For me he is our best DM by a country mile, more heart, passion than all of the current incumbents

It shocks me, I love Yacob hes necver let us down like these much higher paid, less caring players have

Give me Yacob over Barry and Livermore all day

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1204 on: February 25, 2018, 09:28:53 AM »
As much as I love Yacob, he’s not the answer. Just as I said in the field thread as much as we all like sentiments etc playing Yacob instead wouldn’t have made any difference at all. We’re desperatley missing a forward thinking attacking midfielder and have all season which has been our problem. We’ve got plenty of defensive minded midfielders. It’s no coincidence that Morrison and Chadli being out injured has coincided with our awful run.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #1205 on: February 25, 2018, 09:29:39 AM »
Depends how we use him

If Pardew wishes to shoe horn him into a two man midfield then I'd rather he wouldn't play.

And there in lies part of problem - Barry, Yacob and Krychowiak need a side built around them because neither can play in a two man midfield

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1206 on: February 25, 2018, 09:38:13 AM »
Yacob has always struggled in a 4 4 2 , simply doesn't have the legs to cover the space as seen against Saints the other week.
Play him in a 4 5 1 or 4 2 3 1 and he's ideal , sadly Pardew is a 4 4 2 man.

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1207 on: February 25, 2018, 09:48:33 AM »
442 has been a part of our decline. 4231 with Yacob and Krychowiak would have seen far more success and balance to the side.

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1208 on: February 25, 2018, 09:56:47 AM »
442 has been a part of our decline. 4231 with Yacob and Krychowiak would have seen far more success and balance to the side.

totally agree with this

I understand 4-4-2 is the issue with Yacob playing...but 4-4-2 is why we are where we are!

4-2-3-1 would suit us much better, the playing staff we have suit that style aswell

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #1209 on: February 25, 2018, 09:57:20 AM »

I agree with this

Not sure who we try as the attacking midfielder but I'd be inclined to include Livermore. I do not think Field is that sort of player.

Yacob Krychowiak

Burke/Phillips Livermore Brunt

Rondon

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1210 on: February 25, 2018, 09:59:16 AM »
I agree with this

Not sure who we try as the attacking midfielder but I'd be inclined to include Livermore. I do not think Field is that sort of player.

Yacob Krychowiak

Rondon

I know its all if, buts and maybes but it would be Chadli in the AM for me or perhaps move Chadli out wide and put Brunt in there...our most creative player

rajesh-wba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1211 on: February 25, 2018, 10:05:15 AM »
I agree with this

Yacob Krychowiak

Rondon

One of our biggest problems has been the lack of Chadli and Morrison. I’m not saying we’d be half way up the league, but we’d have a better balance in our team and a link between midfield and attack, which would most likely reflect in a higher total of points accumulated.

We’ve got no “runners” from central midfield. Yacob, Barry, Livermore, Greg K aren’t midfielder players who will score or assist many goals.

Pardew tried to change too much far too quickly in my opinion. Initially when he came in, one of our greatest strengths; set pieces seem to be neglected. It’s our main goal threat and we’ve been coached for 2 nearly 3 years to be a reactive side and rely on set pieces.

We can’t put it down to recruitment etc, but I think only Megson seemed to have an idea with how we set up v Tottenham and Newcastle.

Sadly, I think we are down, and going down without any fight. And for me that’s unforgivable.

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1212 on: February 26, 2018, 08:20:19 AM »
Will he take the drop with the club Is the question? I'm thinking for next year...
O Albion we love you

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1213 on: February 26, 2018, 08:28:21 AM »
One of our biggest problems has been the lack of Chadli and Morrison. I’m not saying we’d be half way up the league, but we’d have a better balance in our team and a link between midfield and attack, which would most likely reflect in a higher total of points accumulated.

We’ve got no “runners” from central midfield. Yacob, Barry, Livermore, Greg K aren’t midfielder players who will score or assist many goals.

Pardew tried to change too much far too quickly in my opinion. Initially when he came in, one of our greatest strengths; set pieces seem to be neglected. It’s our main goal threat and we’ve been coached for 2 nearly 3 years to be a reactive side and rely on set pieces.

We can’t put it down to recruitment etc, but I think only Megson seemed to have an idea with how we set up v Tottenham and Newcastle.

Sadly, I think we are down, and going down without any fight. And for me that’s unforgivable.

Tend to agree with your thoughts, but I don't think the situation would have been any different if these two had been fit. All I know is that they are both on £70k a week and they have contributed diddly squat towards the team this year. A couple of years ago I laughed at Villa when they had Nzogbia on the same money and he wasn't playing, and now we find ourselves in a similar position.

Given that this is the Yacob thread, I hope he stays, as he will be useful in the Championship in front of our back 4. He plays for the club as well, and not for himself - one of only a couple down there at the moment.
MAGA!

Backofthenet

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1214 on: February 26, 2018, 11:01:01 AM »
I would really like Yacob to stay - at least he gives effort and seems to be interested in playing fro the team. Ironically we tend to do better when he is in the team in the right formation. I know you shouldn't change a successful formation to fit someone in but we are hardly successful and our best results have come in different formations with Yacob involved.
For what it's worth ( I know it's not his thread) I would certainly move Chadli out wide - somewhere like Ipswich or Wrexham springs to mind.

barnestormer

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1215 on: March 03, 2018, 11:20:30 AM »
Seems according to reports today that Claudio stood up to pardew alongside Brunty too,well done Claudio,another with ballswho does give a fcuk

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1216 on: March 03, 2018, 11:38:37 AM »
Will he take the drop with the club Is the question? I'm thinking for next year...
I hope so, he is a better all round player than when he joined us, much more comfortable on the ball, and he could be fantastic in the championship.

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1217 on: March 03, 2018, 05:43:01 PM »
He should have played today and replaced Barry.
O Albion we love you

boot2006

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1218 on: March 03, 2018, 07:44:30 PM »
Should have played instead of Livermore today.  We just needed him in there, nothing fancy just breaking up play and frustrating them.  He must of shagged Pardew's Mrs or something, I can't for the life of me work out why else Pardew wouldn't be playing him.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1219 on: March 03, 2018, 07:52:20 PM »
There was a close up of Pardew's face after Yacob had got caught in possession on the edge of our box for the 3rd time during the 1st half v West Ham....he hasn't had much of a look-in since. I'm not a Yacob fan, maybe he should have been playing more but I don't think it would have made a jot of difference.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1220 on: March 03, 2018, 07:53:29 PM »
There was a close up of Pardew's face after Yacob had got caught in possession on the edge of our box for the 3rd time during the 1st half v West Ham....he hasn't had much of a look-in since. I'm not a Yacob fan, maybe he should have been playing more but I don't think it would have made a jot of difference.

In a true 5 he makes the world of difference.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1221 on: March 03, 2018, 08:01:50 PM »
The whole midfield and team would benefit from playing a true 5.

charlebaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1222 on: March 03, 2018, 08:05:39 PM »
Should have played instead of Livermore today.  We just needed him in there, nothing fancy just breaking up play and frustrating them.  He must of shagged Pardew's Mrs or something, I can't for the life of me work out why else Pardew wouldn't be playing him.
.  No ! Should have as well has Livermore and sat in front of the back four and give the defense some  protection instead of this useless 4-4-2

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1223 on: May 15, 2018, 10:23:19 AM »
May well have played his last game for us. Apparently he flew home to Argentina on Sunday after stating he was not available for selection. He said he has a tight hamstring.

Not sure if this is another Jonny Evans story, going in a mood as he wasn't selected, but would appear to be. Not sure how to feel, as he's always been a favourite of mine. His contract is up now too.

Someone like Yacob deserves a good send off (no pun intended), as he's been with us a fair while and has been a good servant.

DaveWBA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1224 on: May 15, 2018, 10:27:22 AM »
May well have played his last game for us. Apparently he flew home to Argentina on Sunday after stating he was not available for selection. He said he has a tight hamstring.

Not sure if this is another Jonny Evans story, going in a mood as he wasn't selected, but would appear to be. Not sure how to feel, as he's always been a favourite of mine. His contract is up now too.

Someone like Yacob deserves a good send off (no pun intended), as he's been with us a fair while and has been a good servant.

Think you may be reading too much into it. It's not uncommon for players to get off early if they're not involved in the final game of the season, they pretty much break up straight away anyway. Would love him to have a decent send off, may be a case of bringing him back a la Olsson for a goodbye prior to a game next season if he is to leave.