Author Topic: Darren Moore  (Read 844333 times)

jamesh_91

• Youth Baggie

Re: Darren Moore
« Reply #825 on: August 05, 2018, 10:59:00 PM »
.     HRK had to start because Rondon was pulled out at the last minute .was originally down to play then was pulled from the squad completely

If that's the case then it does explain  it because you would spend all week working on your shape for the game and if that was 4-4-1-1 to suddenly change system the day before  doesn't really work as all your patterns of play you've worked on are a waste of time. The only problem is Hal Robson Kanu isn't good enough to play the role asked of him as lead striker. I won't criticise the guy as he gives his all and that's all you can ask from a player.

If we had the ball for 72 percent of the time that meant we only didn't have it for around 15 minutes so to concede two was quite poor. I would have taken a point yesterday but we ultimately lost it trying to win the game at the death.

A lot of games at home are going to be like that and we need to be confident that if we get a goal that it will be enough to win the game.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 11:02:00 PM by jamesh_91 »

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #826 on: August 05, 2018, 11:00:44 PM »
can I just ask why we would be saving players after 1 game? surely you put out the strongest team possible at all times and go for it when we play at home. if we are saving Morrison in this manner we'll get about 20-30 appearances such is the nature of this league.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 11:04:21 PM by caravanc58 »

mig

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #827 on: August 05, 2018, 11:19:06 PM »
The signs were there for anyone who wanted to see them in Moore's six games last season. Sadly too many were caught up in the positive results against the big teams, rather than the tepid and uncreative performances against those we should have been able to beat (notably Swansea and Palace).

I wanted to believe that perhaps that style was a temporary fix which would transition to attacking and incisive football this season, but the early signs are suggest not. Hope to be proven wrong.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #828 on: August 05, 2018, 11:26:53 PM »
We had most possession 72%. 2nd most shots (20, Wigan had 21). Highest attendance. In the division this weekend.

Even with 4-4-2 and supposedly a dreadful centre midfield we dominated the game. Hegazi should have scored a hat trick. Bolton effectively did to us what we've done for the last 5 year's to the likes of Liverpool and Manchester United.

I won't be writing us or Darren off so easily.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

MBWBA

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #829 on: August 05, 2018, 11:35:59 PM »
Everybody just needs to calm down. Big Dave needs time. Review it after 10 games. Hopefully the new Asst Manager can help stamp some authority on our style too.

Didn’t Fulham win 1 of their first 10 games and still went up?

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #830 on: August 05, 2018, 11:57:11 PM »
We had most possession 72%. 2nd most shots (20, Wigan had 21). Highest attendance. In the division this weekend.

Even with 4-4-2 and supposedly a dreadful centre midfield we dominated the game. Hegazi should have scored a hat trick. Bolton effectively did to us what we've done for the last 5 year's to the likes of Liverpool and Manchester United.

Possession means nowt, 2 shots on target is shocking from 20 attempts and yes we do have dreadful centre midfield, we have had a Summer to do something about it and now we have 4 days.

We were also playing a side which just escaped relegation last season, have had a stuttering pre-season due to players not being paid so hardly one of the favourites to go up.

I'm not writing us off as I never wrote us on, we will be lucky to reach the play offs with this squad.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 11:59:58 PM by OldburyWBA »
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #831 on: August 06, 2018, 04:51:29 AM »

This is what I've been telling myself. Bolton came and just did a job on us. Not every side will be able to do that Bolton have always been a physical team that go away and play for a draw or a scrappy win they are just one of those sides. Let's just get this week out the way we could have a completely different looking squad this time next week. I have faith in big dave

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #832 on: August 06, 2018, 08:00:52 AM »
Completely agree with Phil. This summer has been a disappointment and we now only have a few days left to bring in the key creative modfielder that we very blatantly needed last season (as said by Pulis, and then Pardew, and the local press and the fans, but apparantly not by those at the club).

Going to be tough to make the top 6 at the moment.
Boing Boing

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #833 on: August 06, 2018, 10:01:16 AM »
Possession means nowt, 2 shots on target is shocking from 20 attempts and yes we do have dreadful centre midfield, we have had a Summer to do something about it and now we have 4 days.

We were also playing a side which just escaped relegation last season, have had a stuttering pre-season due to players not being paid so hardly one of the favourites to go up.

I'm not writing us off as I never wrote us on, we will be lucky to reach the play offs with this squad.

That's the thing, for all our possession we didn't really create any chances that weren't from dead ball situations.  It's not like Bolton had to ride their luck to beat us.  If we had created a lot of really good chances then I'd be more confident as it is, one of the poorer sides in the league kept us out comfortable while our defence looked liked they'd only just met for the first time.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #834 on: August 06, 2018, 10:16:05 AM »
Where were these 20 shots we weren't meant to have had? I don't remember them.

I remember:

1 Barnes goal
3 Hegazi headers one hit bar, one saved, one wide
1 Nyom shot first half when he cut inside
1 Phillips (I think) shot, similar position, went wide, may have been deflected, can't remember exactly
1 Brunt pooh free kick second half, hit wall
1 Barnes shot blocked inside left channel, early second half
1 pooh Robson - Kanu effort from about thirty yards with about 15 mins to go

What were the other eleven?

charlebaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #835 on: August 06, 2018, 10:26:36 AM »
Completely agree with Phil. This summer has been a disappointment and we now only have a few days left to bring in the key creative modfielder that we very blatantly needed last season (as said by Pulis, and then Pardew, and the local press and the fans, but apparantly not by those at the club).

We can take players on loan after Thursday so there's no rush. We can sit back and see what players in the prem won't get a game

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #836 on: August 06, 2018, 10:31:27 AM »

Our midfield has been a problem since we lost the balance of having Yacob and Mulumbu in there.

The problem we have is a lot of our midfielders are the same, Barry/Livermore/Brunt/Field all offer the same type of play, so when we play a midfield of 2 and 2 of those are picked, it limits what we can do.

That's why people wanted Morrison to stay, not because of sentiment, but more because hes the only one in the squad who can play in the middle and offer us a bit more creativity going forward.

Personally I think we need to play a middle two of possibly Field and Livermore sitting deeper and having a three infront of them of Morrison/Burke/Barnes/Phillips all rotating and trying to play.

When we play 4-4-2 we lack any sort of imagination.

The biggest confusion for me is we have hardly played 4-4-2 all pre season but revert to it for the first game of the season, hopefully we look at a 4-2-3-1 against Forest.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #837 on: August 06, 2018, 10:32:35 AM »
There were quite a few awful efforts from about 30 yards, the kind where they're never even close to being a threat, not even struck well.

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #838 on: August 06, 2018, 12:56:56 PM »
I just have the same two questions that I keep coming back to:

1/ Why play one formation for all (or most) of pre-season, and then go with something completely different on the opening day?

2/ Why no subs? Did he leave Morrison off for Forest, or did he not want to be seen to cave in to the fans? If it's the latter, then its a problem.

It was a step in the right direction that we were able to dominate a game and play possession football, but we need to be stronger defensively and actually have a number 10 who can create chances at this level. No use signing somebody like Gayle if you aren't going to create chances.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #839 on: August 06, 2018, 01:18:12 PM »
It was almost as if he won a raffle to take charge.

Regardless of whether he is inexperienced or not, he should have seen clearly that the set-up and personnel was not working. I am more concerned that the apparent answer to the problem was to take off our best player and do nothing regarding our style strike force and midfield that cried out for a change.

I hope the Brunt and Livermore experiment is binned for good.

Furthermore, I am not sure pinning our hopes on Dwight Gayle is going to be much use to us if we cannot provide him with any service. If anything, I think we would cope much better with a Sam Vokes (or a Saloman Rondon) to allow us to play into.

Early days, but a more worrying sign. I hope it was just a one-off.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #840 on: August 06, 2018, 01:20:07 PM »
Why no subs? Did he leave Morrison off for Forest, or did he not want to be seen to cave in to the fans? If it's the latter, then its a problem.
They're both a problem for me. Enthusiasm and expectations were high amongst fans for this game, and it was important to get off to a good start, so holding any players back for the next game couldn't be justified in my view.

Regardless of that, it was a hot day, so only making one substitution (and that after 76 minutes) also doesn't make sense. Everyone (well almost) wants to give Darren a chance, but many will also need to see him trying to make sensible/right decisions during matches, otherwise increasing numbers of questions will start being asked.

cad

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #841 on: August 06, 2018, 05:50:28 PM »

Have you found a full match replay? I'd really appreciate a link if you have one.
Thanks in advance...

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #842 on: August 07, 2018, 09:05:15 AM »
I honestly think Darren bottled it on Saturday, 1st game and all that, just get a result and get it out of the way, sort of approach. I don't believe what we saw on Saturday is the way he wants to play, he just got a bit scared and reverted to safety first. 1st day nerves.
He said afterwards that it was a wake up call for the players but I'm sure it was one for him as well. Hopefully he will introduce Johnstone, Hegazi and Bartley to each other before tonights game, bin the Brunt / Livermore combo and get Morrison into a 3 behind 1 striker.
If we see the same team and formation then I will be genuinely worried.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #843 on: August 07, 2018, 09:37:47 AM »
Lose tonight and again saturday which is highly probable and the pressure is on. I dont think we would ever boo Big Dave though
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 10:35:39 AM by WBAinDEVON »
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #844 on: August 07, 2018, 09:42:54 AM »
Loose tonight and again saturday which is highly probable and the pressure is on. I dont think we would ever boo Big Dave though

Lets hope we tighten things up at the back then...

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #845 on: August 07, 2018, 10:01:35 AM »
Could probably argue this game is his biggest test as a manager/head coach.

He had free hits at the remaining games last year.

A lot of us (and the rest of the country) probably had us to beat Bolton on Saturday, some expected a comfortable win, but that wasn't the case.

This game is a big test for DM, does he stick with the 4-4-2 or does he change it up.

Im excited, but nervous.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #846 on: August 07, 2018, 10:02:45 AM »

Lets hope we tighten things up at the back then...

Sharp this morning !
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #847 on: August 07, 2018, 11:26:18 AM »
 That means Dawson back tonight.

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #848 on: August 07, 2018, 05:10:26 PM »
How naive were our board listening to the players? When it was announced i posted that i felt sick
It was removed presumably by some doctor who knew i didn't really.
Now my worst fears have been realised, Big Dave is out of his depth, abandoned by the players and will be hung out to dry by a clueless board.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #849 on: August 07, 2018, 05:11:37 PM »
How naive were our board listening to the players? When it was announced i posted that i felt sick
It was removed presumably by some doctor who knew i didn't really.
Now my worst fears have been realised, Big Dave is out of his depth, abandoned by the players and will be hung out to dry by a clueless board.

It's been one match...