Author Topic: Darren Moore  (Read 850820 times)

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

Re: Darren Moore
« Reply #550 on: May 22, 2018, 12:24:29 PM »
Hey setee,I agree with you that in football flexibility is key but not always in business.
If you have a successful business plan don't change it e.g.MacDonald's,that's the same formula all over the world ,I think that works don't you?
The basics may appear the same but I can pretty much guarantee that McDonalds will have changed their operating methods significantly over the years. They would constantly have to review methods, ingredients, trends etc.
Not resting on one's laurels was more the message.
The amount of times I've gone into a new business and seen something odd, so asked why they do it that way, and got the response "We've always done it that way" is scary.
The very best businesses are always one step ahead of the game, but the very ninimum requirement is to keep up.

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #551 on: May 22, 2018, 12:28:50 PM »
Hi mate,I reiterate that their basic plan has stayed the same they may tweak the ingredients but I can tell you that their chocolate milkshake tastes the same here,in new York and Japan!

Scooby Doo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #552 on: May 22, 2018, 12:29:58 PM »
The basics may appear the same but I can pretty much guarantee that McDonalds will have changed their operating methods significantly over the years. They would constantly have to review methods, ingredients, trends etc.
Not resting on one's laurels was more the message.
The amount of times I've gone into a new business and seen something odd, so asked why they do it that way, and got the response "We've always done it that way" is scary.
The very best businesses are always one step ahead of the game, but the very ninimum requirement is to keep up.

Totally agree. Have to be able to adapt to change or if you want to be the best, be the trendsetter.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #553 on: May 22, 2018, 12:41:07 PM »
Hi mate,I reiterate that their basic plan has stayed the same they may tweak the ingredients but I can tell you that their chocolate milkshake tastes the same here,in new York and Japan!
Don't disagree that some things may never change, doesn't mean you don't review it to ensure it's still relevant. If you do it on a regular basis then it becomes, as you say, subtle teaks, whereas, if left too long, then it can involve major changes, which can prove catastrophic.
Could argue that this is what we did with Pulis and just assumed that he would always keep us up, because that's what he'd always done. When we realised this was not the case, it was too late for minor tweaks and we tried to change too much, too soon.
The key is not to assume something is still fit for purpose, without actually proving it.

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #554 on: May 22, 2018, 01:23:22 PM »
Come to think about it Ollie,are there many strikers who have made good coaches?
They seem to be mostly defenders don't they?
Is there one ex striker who's a coach in the premier or championship?

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #555 on: May 22, 2018, 01:27:44 PM »
I'm puzzled why so many people have a fixation that:

Defensive football => promotion
Attacking football => mid-table obscurity

It's not black and white - both styles of play can be effective and both can fail miserably. Let's try to build a squad which can attack with pace/flair and be resolute in defence, surely everyone can agree with that approach?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 01:29:43 PM by WorcsWBA »

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #556 on: May 22, 2018, 01:34:47 PM »
Devils advocate,
Mourinhio has parked the bus many times!
Pep & Conte have squads of 20 plus A grade players,

DM will have a core of players he will use as much as possible and then flex the others when he feels its appropriate. The key is, will the core be progressive or conservative? and, will the more peripheral players be competent to influence games as required by the tactics?

To compare what will be a championship squad with Prem top 6 resources is frankly a redundant discussion
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #557 on: May 22, 2018, 01:50:10 PM »
Come to think about it Ollie,are there many strikers who have made good coaches?
They seem to be mostly defenders don't they?
Is there one ex striker who's a coach in the premier or championship?

Mark Hughes is the only 1 in the Prem, Klopp started out as a striker at Mainz but then became a defender!
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #558 on: May 22, 2018, 07:27:15 PM »
I didn't hear all of the Radio WM phone-in at 6.00pm this evening, where Darren was taking calls from fans, but I did catch 2 questions regarding our style of play going forward. The first was from Paul Franks, but Darren dodged it by turning it round to make it about counteracting the opposition. Approaching games through fear of the opposition is obviously something he's learned from Pulis over the years. Right at the end of the phone-in, a fan also asked him about our style of play (referring to Pulis's dire football in the process), but Darren was non-committal again, merely referring to us playing with 2 strikers and 2 wide players during his 6 game caretaker stint, but saying nothing about us conceding so much possession.

Judging by Darren's comments tonight, what Jenkins said about us adopting a much more attacking style of play isn't going to happen. Obviously we'll have to see who goes and who comes in before we get a better idea, but I wasn't encouraged by what was said this evening.

What we seem to have forgotten is that it's not just about playing with 2 strikers and 2 wide players, but that we need to both be able get behind teams and also play through them. For example, Albion have become almost devoid of the ability to play through balls. It's a vital aspect of attacking, but we've pretty much stopped using it as a method of creating chances. We need to be able to attack in a number of different ways so that we're not one-dimensional and give the opposition several things to worry about. I hope to see some evidence of this being recognised and acted upon as we go through the summer and into next season.

maccbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #559 on: May 22, 2018, 07:44:54 PM »
I didn't hear all of the Radio WM phone-in at 6.00pm this evening, where Darren was taking calls from fans, but I did catch 2 questions regarding our style of play going forward. The first was from Paul Franks, but Darren dodged it by turning it round to make it about counteracting the opposition. Approaching games through fear of the opposition is obviously something he's learned from Pulis over the years. Right at the end of the phone-in, a fan also asked him about our style of play (referring to Pulis's dire football in the process), but Darren was non-committal again, merely referring to us playing with 2 strikers and 2 wide players during his 6 game caretaker stint, but saying nothing about us conceding so much possession.

Judging by Darren's comments tonight, what Jenkins said about us adopting a much more attacking style of play isn't going to happen. Obviously we'll have to see who goes and who comes in before we get a better idea, but I wasn't encouraged by what was said this evening.

What we seem to have forgotten is that it's not just about playing with 2 strikers and 2 wide players, but that we need to both be able get behind teams and also play through them. For example, Albion have become almost devoid of the ability to play through balls. It's a vital aspect of attacking, but we've pretty much stopped using it as a method of creating chances. We need to be able to attack in a number of different ways so that we're not one-dimensional and give the opposition several things to worry about. I hope to see some evidence of this being recognised and acted upon as we go through the summer and into next season.
I'm extremely concerned about the appointment. It's clear from his answers to every interview that he has no tactical knowledge (including his responses to last season's post-match interviews), and his stock answer about "togetherness"/related platitudes is already becoming repetitive. This is consistent with his (albeit successful) frankly baffling substitutions and the fact he has predominantly played/coached under Megson, Billy Davies and Pulis. I only hope that the coaches behind the scenes (Cutler, Shan, the new assistant) have much greater tactical and technical knowledge, and will be taking care of this side of things.

I suspect that posters claiming that he is just "keeping his cards close to his chest" or being "flexible" are thinking wishfully, and reading far more into his answers than what really exists - which is that they simply lack substance.

This may seem harsh given his status with the club, and again, I genuinely hope to be proved badly, badly wrong. But, I fear that there will be a slow realisation of my point over the course of next season.

telford baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #560 on: May 22, 2018, 08:07:17 PM »
amazing how many people will accept defensive football now big dave is in charge but wouldnt under pulis! and how forgiving they are of the rubbish that was on the pitch last season,all of a sudden want them to stay. dont go blaming lai and jenkins when this all goes wrong

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #561 on: May 22, 2018, 08:22:18 PM »
Sorry situational management is not how football works. Coaches have a default style they can tweak it they adapt it within the overall parameters of the style but there is common idea or philosophy at the heart of it.

Take one of the most consistent style templates from the last decade or so Mourinho's 4-2-3-1. Against weaker opposition particularly at home. The full backs and the double pivot camp in the opposition half pinning their opponents back allowing the front four to operate within the final third constantly probing for openings while recycling possession either among themselves or back through the deep sitting midfielders.

Equally the same formation when deployed against one of the bigger teams is used to form a deep sitting block with a couple of out balls. The same personnel are often deployed in both versions.

Darren will find a playing identity, he needs to be clear about what it is and what he needs to make it work.

Today it is not clear.

There's more to 'Situational Management' than that, and you've probably cited one of the worst case manager's in this instance. Situational management does indeed focus on flexibility and change, but this includes incorporation of the resources at your disposal in the present time. Ie, don't ask people to do what they can't do. Mourinho constantly slates those who can't do what he asks them to do.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #562 on: May 22, 2018, 08:33:24 PM »
I don’t know what some people mean by attacking football, there is some kind of middle ground between Pulis and Mowbray for instance. All these that crave this certain attacking football can they tell me which teams play like this?

SirTonyM

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #563 on: May 22, 2018, 08:34:52 PM »
Pardew played more attacking football :)

VVVAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #564 on: May 22, 2018, 09:02:07 PM »
Pardew, like Pepe Mel before him, tried to get the club to run before it could walk and change the mindset and style of a group of players brought together to play in a certain way. Moore, like Downing and Kiely before him, went back to basics and playing (more) to the strengths of the players available to them. Ultimately we don't really know what Big Dave is going to offer (one of my concerns about his appointment) and we may only get an indication when we start recruiting. If we are linked to a lot of 6ft 6 centre halfs, start worrying.
.COM, allowing everyone the opportunity to have an opinion.

alwaysbilly

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #565 on: May 22, 2018, 09:45:08 PM »
I don’t know what some people mean by attacking football, there is some kind of middle ground between Pulis and Mowbray for instance. All these that crave this certain attacking football can they tell me which teams play like this?
Not too many get out of the championship playing flowing football.

I like the idea of a team that can play but also can scrap - we need some Sean Gregans, Siggi’s, Moore’s mixed with good attack minded players

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #566 on: May 22, 2018, 09:46:23 PM »
The middle ground you refer to is fine, but we haven't occupied it for some considerable time. Pardew tried to make us more attacking, but it backfired for whatever reason (which perhaps had a much to do with players being out of the comfort zone as Pardew's ineptitude). There's absolutely no reason why we shouldn't sign suitable players and then set up to play in a similar manner to how Wolves, Fulham and Wigan have approached this season.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #567 on: May 22, 2018, 10:17:16 PM »
Not too many get out of the championship playing flowing football.
2017-18:
The top 2 clubs were in the top 8 for average shots on goal
The champions (Wolves) were 5th for possession %
The champions were 2nd for passing accuracy
The champions scored 82 goals. The next 2 highest scorers (Villa & Fulham) are in the play-off final.
Fulham were 1st for both possession % and passing accuracy
2016-17:
The 3 promoted clubs were in the top 8 for average shots on goal
The 3 promoted clubs were in the top 7 for possession %
The 3 promoted clubs were in the top 6 for passing accuracy
The champions (Newcastle) scored 85 goals. The runners-up (Brighton) scored 74.
2015-16:
The top 2 clubs (Hull and Middlesbrough) had the highest average shots on goal
2 of the promoted clubs were in the top 7 for possession %
2 of the promoted clubs were in the top 3 for passing accuracy
No-one else scored more goals than the champions (Burnley) - 72 goals
2014-15:
The 3 promoted clubs were in the top 9 for possession %
The 3 promoted clubs were in the top 7 for passing accuracy
The champions (Bournemouth) scored 95 goals. The runners-up (Watford) scored 91. Norwich (who won the play-offs) scored 88.
2013-14:
3 promoted clubs were in the top 9 for average shots on goal
The 2 of the promoted clubs were in the top 7 for possession %
The champions (Leicester) scored 83 goals. The runners-up (Burnley) scored 72.

Source: Whoscored.com

Stats aren't available on that website for earlier seasons.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #568 on: May 22, 2018, 10:47:26 PM »
2017-18:
The top 2 clubs were in the top 8 for average shots on goal
The champions (Wolves) were 5th for possession %
The champions were 2nd for passing accuracy
The champions scored 82 goals. The next 2 highest scorers (Villa & Fulham) are in the play-off final.
Fulham were 1st for both possession % and passing accuracy
2016-17:
The 3 promoted clubs were in the top 7 for possession %
The 3 promoted clubs were in the top 6 for passing accuracy
The champions (Newcastle) scored 85 goals. The runners-up (Brighton) scored 74.
2015-16:
The top 2 clubs (Hull and Middlesbrough) had the highest average shots on goal
2 of the promoted clubs were in the top 7 for possession %
2 of the promoted clubs were in the top 3 for passing accuracy
No-one else scored more goals than the champions (Burnley) - 72 goals
2014-15:
The 3 promoted clubs were in the top 9 for possession %
The 3 promoted clubs were in the top 7 for passing accuracy
The champions (Bournemouth) scored 95 goals. The runners-up (Watford) scored 91. Norwich (who won the play-offs) scored 88.
2013-14:
3 promoted clubs were in the top 9 for average shots on goal
The 2 of the promoted clubs were in the top 7 for possession %
The champions (Leicester) scored 83 goals. The runners-up (Burnley) scored 72.

Source: Whoscored.com

Stats aren't available on that website for earlier seasons.

Some of the teams that scored the most goals got promoted... Brilliant insight mate.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

HampshireBaggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #569 on: May 22, 2018, 10:52:44 PM »
You don’t have to play freeflowing attacking football to scores lots of goals.

What is wrong with Darren Moore putting out a balanced team? Solid at the back with good counters, and also good in possession with a real impetus going forward?

You can be all those things.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #570 on: May 22, 2018, 11:12:15 PM »

What is wrong with Darren Moore putting out a balanced team? Solid at the back with good counters, and also good in possession with a real impetus going forward?

Absolutely nothing.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Scooby Doo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #571 on: May 22, 2018, 11:22:20 PM »

The only person who ever achieved all of that was Ranieri at Leicester in fairness.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #572 on: May 22, 2018, 11:35:22 PM »
Nothing's wrong with it at all, there's just no indication at present that it's how we're going to play.

Barrington

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #573 on: May 23, 2018, 05:34:35 AM »
Anyone else notice how many times he says "West Bromwich Albion Football Club" when being interviewed? Going to start making a note of how often he uses the full name, because it's quite frequent, and slightly annoying  ;D

HampshireBaggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #574 on: May 23, 2018, 07:39:02 AM »
The only person who ever achieved all of that was Ranieri at Leicester in fairness.

Leicester weren’t really that balanced, they were ultra defensive with devastating counters and balls over the top. We took points off of them but playing them at their own game. They didn’t really know what to do with possession.

Darren Moore is already on record as saying he wants his teams to be effective in possession.

Any manager worth his salt try’s to counter act opposition strengths. Unless your Man City with infinite resources you have to. Pulis took it too far and only worried about the opposition. Nothing to suggest Moore is going to do that.

I don’t think we’ll be playing tippy tappy but I expect Moore to like quick, strong, athletic and committed players and that lends itself to some exciting football.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 07:40:53 AM by HampshireBaggie »