Author Topic: Dwight Gayle (at Newcastle)  (Read 235055 times)

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

Re: Dwight Gayle (on loan swap from Newcastle)
« Reply #325 on: February 13, 2019, 11:09:14 PM »
Gayle will be banned for 2 games,apparently the law was introduced last season,the first player banned was niasse Everton player who also got a penalty for his efforts,so it looks like it will happen all the time if it as result changing dive

It was actually Carlisle United striker Shaun Miller. Nothing to suggest this is a done deal. We will surely appeal.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

elkiellis

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #326 on: February 13, 2019, 11:12:31 PM »

It was actually Carlisle United striker Shaun Miller. Nothing to suggest this is a done deal. We will surely appeal.
There is nothing to appeal

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #327 on: February 13, 2019, 11:18:34 PM »
There is nothing to appeal

Player has been charged, we dispute the charge. If he is subsequently banned we can appeal.the ban?
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

elkiellis

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #328 on: February 13, 2019, 11:23:29 PM »

Player has been charged, we dispute the charge. If he is subsequently banned we can appeal.the ban?
How can we dispute something actually on film,i bet you a pint he is banned

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #329 on: February 13, 2019, 11:24:43 PM »
I can't make up my mind about it. I hate diving and would like to see it stamped out. But then, what about the dive by the Boro forward 2 weeks ago? That was so far more blatant that it was almost comical.

Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

elkiellis

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #330 on: February 13, 2019, 11:26:53 PM »

How can we dispute its as clear as day on film,bet you a pint he is banned

elkiellis

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #331 on: February 13, 2019, 11:28:50 PM »
I can't make up my mind about it. I hate diving and would like to see it stamped out. But then, what about the dive by the Boro forward 2 weeks ago? That was so far more blatant that it was almost comical.
Yes but did it get a penalty and a goal,that is what the FA are looking at

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #332 on: February 13, 2019, 11:29:41 PM »
I blame Dingle Don for putting the idea into the minds of the FA big wigs. We wouldn’t have heard a thing if Gayle was playing for Man Ure

It seems that every time we're live on TV, Goodman is the expert summariser. Haven't the TV company got anyone else?
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #333 on: February 13, 2019, 11:30:44 PM »
Trouble is given Gayle's blatantly exaggerated reaction to any slight contact that might have happened or effort at avoiding of contact, if it was to result in any ban being overturned, honestly it would open the flood gates for any simulations in the future to claim 'avoiding contact' or whatever.
I'd be gobsmacked if any Gayle ban got overturned. 
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #334 on: February 13, 2019, 11:38:03 PM »
All cheats should be banned. I hate cheating.

That being said, it's a funny time (over half way through the season) to start banning players. Dives happen in virtually every game, and ironically, some challenges that are fouls but the player remains on his feet go unpunished. It's like all that pushing and pulling during corners. Some refs award penalties and others just issue warnings but never go any further.

If they sent out a letter, or met with clubs before the season, outlining that this was being targeted to illuminate diving, then I would understand. But the timing is odd. Last night was not the first time this season that a player has gone down with minimal or no contact.

On the flip side, there's the thing about intent and player safety. Some straight red cards are issued because they are reckless, not because they've made contact. How about that Kompany "challenge" that happened 38 seconds into the match or whatever. He didn't get sent off because it was too early in the game. Is it fair? No. He studded a player's thigh and injured him. He should have gone.

As far as I'm concerned, if you go in carelessly in the box, you can expect a penalty to be a possible outcome, especially if it looks like a clumsy tackle.

In real time, the ref thought it was a penalty. That's all that the ref can go by - real time and his point of view.

It opens up a can of worms to suspend a player at this time. I think the thing I'm getting at is inconsistency across the board.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #335 on: February 14, 2019, 02:02:11 AM »
Personally I would be quite happy for the FA to take action against diving but the law as it currently stands means very few incidents are reviewed.

As I understand it the player has to get a clear advantage from his actions. If Gayle had dived but on the edge of the area and the subsequent free kick had sailed harmlessly over the bar I am not even sure the incident would have been reviewed. When an incident is reviewed if there is contact however minimal the forward will probably get the benefit of the doubt reagrdless of how much of a meal that he makes of it. Who can say how much contact is required to make a player go over in any given situation?

There might be lots of dives but few that result in a game changing incident and even fewer where there is no contact hence there isn't a flood of cases being reviewed.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Nice1Cyrille

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #336 on: February 14, 2019, 02:13:15 AM »
It was a blatant dive and FA has called him on it. Like other posters have said nothing would have happened if it resulted in a free kick and no goal.
However he "cheated" the outcome and should face the punishment. It's a rule and that's the end of it.
I don't see how player or club could appeal it when it was so obvious.

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #337 on: February 14, 2019, 06:55:41 AM »
I don’t think we can complain about this. Ultimately we could lose more points as a result of the ban than the point we won this week but that’s the way it goes I guess.

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #338 on: February 14, 2019, 08:30:27 AM »
Regardless of the decision i think Gayles card will now be  marked by refs.

He isnt going to be getting many 50/50’s in his favour now anywhere on the pitch and i would imagine he will lose out on a few penalty appeals.

Tbe law doesnt really make sense, surely if a dive earns a free kick or penalty, the outcome of the free kick / penalty is irrelevant, a dive is a dive.

To give an example, had the keeper tipped Jrods penalty over the bar tuesday, but we then scored from the resulting corner, would Gayle not be charged?

I know its phases of play but if Gayles ‘dive’ didnt directly lead to a goal but we score from the resulting  corner, then his cheating has benefitted us but by the rule hasnt it?

If the panel decide to ban him as they think he cheated then you have to respect their decision, the issue i would have is that all dives should be punished as per the above, it would be prevention action.

By only making examples of incidents that lead to say a goal, yes the player and club suffer after the event, but thats no use to the club who were cheated in the game (example, forest who if Gayle is found guilty can feel they were robbed of 2 points)

A dive, simulation whatever you want to call it anywhere on the pitch, should be punished with a x game ban if found seen at the time by the ref or after, but players and clubs have to know about it, it would prevent most players even thinking about it let alone trying it.

However it really does open a can of worms.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 08:32:49 AM by Albion79 »

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #339 on: February 14, 2019, 08:42:24 AM »
Being pessimistic, I think Gayle will be found guilty.

As always the FA is sending a signal to the big clubs, whose players simulations /diving etc., is witnessed most weeks without similar retribution.

In clobbering the "smaller clubs" they hope the message gets through without the need of a high profile case that reflects badly on the world wide branded product that is the Premier League
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #340 on: February 14, 2019, 08:56:40 AM »

As always the FA is sending a signal to the big clubs, whose players simulations /diving etc., is witnessed most weeks without similar retribution.

In clobbering the "smaller clubs" they hope the message gets through without the need of a high profile case that reflects badly on the world wide branded product that is the Premier League
In a nutshell mate.
Make an example of us rather than having to embarrass one of the chosen few. Was Sterling ever charged, Or Salah?

Don't get me wrong, if this is the first in a wave of bans to outlaw diving, then I'm all for it but, does anyone really think that, if Lacazette takes a dive against little old Southampton this weekend, they will do the same?

BoingFlyer

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #341 on: February 14, 2019, 09:00:40 AM »
I hope the club appeals and submit every unpunished dive this season in his defence.
Make Mercia Great Again. #MMGA

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #342 on: February 14, 2019, 09:23:53 AM »
Can't help but think a lot of this is down to Dingle Don
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #343 on: February 14, 2019, 09:29:42 AM »

I think this is what will happen.  Just our luck right now.

baggiebof

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #344 on: February 14, 2019, 09:37:45 AM »
I don't think they'd charge him if they didn't intend to do him for it. He dived so I am in favour of him being punished in principle. However, like others have said, the lack of consistency is frustrating and the law is ambiguous but unfortunately, we will just have to take this on the chin.

BigFrank20

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #345 on: February 14, 2019, 09:57:00 AM »
BoingBoing, a Baggie born and a Baggie I shall die (one day)

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #346 on: February 14, 2019, 10:06:15 AM »
I don't think they'd charge him if they didn't intend to do him for it. He dived so I am in favour of him being punished in principle. However, like others have said, the lack of consistency is frustrating and the law is ambiguous but unfortunately, we will just have to take this on the chin.

I hate diving full stop.He dived so I am in favour of him being punished.
I hope & pray that the FA now (after seeing video evidence) carry on charging all players found doing the same.
It is now a big problem in football so please FA stay strong you have the power to put a stop to players thinking its OK to dive ANY were on the pitch not just in the box.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #347 on: February 14, 2019, 10:36:43 AM »
Regardless of the decision i think Gayles card will now be  marked by refs.

He isnt going to be getting many 50/50’s in his favour now anywhere on the pitch and i would imagine he will lose out on a few penalty appeals.

Tbe law doesnt really make sense, surely if a dive earns a free kick or penalty, the outcome of the free kick / penalty is irrelevant, a dive is a dive.

To give an example, had the keeper tipped Jrods penalty over the bar tuesday, but we then scored from the resulting corner, would Gayle not be charged?

I know its phases of play but if Gayles ‘dive’ didnt directly lead to a goal but we score from the resulting  corner, then his cheating has benefitted us but by the rule hasnt it?

If the panel decide to ban him as they think he cheated then you have to respect their decision, the issue i would have is that all dives should be punished as per the above, it would be prevention action.

By only making examples of incidents that lead to say a goal, yes the player and club suffer after the event, but thats no use to the club who were cheated in the game (example, forest who if Gayle is found guilty can feel they were robbed of 2 points)

A dive, simulation whatever you want to call it anywhere on the pitch, should be punished with a x game ban if found seen at the time by the ref or after, but players and clubs have to know about it, it would prevent most players even thinking about it let alone trying it.

However it really does open a can of worms.

You make some good points, but as far as I can interpret the ruling, it's only if the deception has an impact on the outcome of the game that a ban is enforced.
As far as I can see, if we had been winning or losing the game by a margin of 2 goals or more, then DG wouldn't have been charged.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #348 on: February 14, 2019, 11:05:30 AM »
It seems that every time we're live on TV, Goodman is the expert summariser. Haven't the TV company got anyone else?

It was Danny Higginbotham on Saturday against Stoke and for an ex Stoke player he was straight down the middle, no bias at all unlike Dingle Don who is so biased against us its unbelieveable
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #349 on: February 14, 2019, 11:06:03 AM »
Expect a flood of retrospective actions now.
If they have to do it for one player then they have to do it for all of them.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'