Author Topic: Slaven Bilic  (Read 670297 times)

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

Re: Slaven Bilic
« Reply #75 on: June 13, 2019, 05:40:52 PM »
Delighted with this, best appointment since Roy. And with the right backing could do even better for us.

Board forgiven for being embarrassingly long in this, maybe they were doing it right. Maybe we should cut some slack now and see what happens.

Welcome on board, Slaven; I begrudgingly admired you at West Ham. Now instead of blowing bubbles, let's blow some smoke up the competition.......

Well...no, because we completely wasted a season and our best chance of bouncing back by them employing Moore instead of now Premier League manager, Dean Smith

adamw1109

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #76 on: June 13, 2019, 05:53:56 PM »
Well...no, because we completely wasted a season and our best chance of bouncing back by them employing Moore instead of now Premier League manager, Dean Smith

West brom and villa are two completely different set ups, what works for one may not work for another.

Ever thought that Dean Smith may have rejected us if he was approached?

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #77 on: June 13, 2019, 05:54:19 PM »
Exciting appointment for me. Comes across as a strong character too which is exactly what we need.

Was expecting the safe or cheap option but well done to the club for taking a different option. Risky but sometimes you need to go down that route. Lets hope he is backed by the board and fans during the big rebuild ahead.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #78 on: June 13, 2019, 06:26:50 PM »
Looking forward to his first interview!
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Windmill Baggy

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #79 on: June 13, 2019, 06:39:48 PM »

So it was a DM or Dean Smith either or choice in your view? That seems a bit myopic. Even if we had approached Smith and he had accepted/been interested, how can you be sure he would have got us promoted?

Villa finished 4th last season and 5th this season. When Smith took over they were only 3 points off the play-offs. The only difference this season was under Smith they lucked out/decisions went their way in the play-offs while under Bruce the year before they narrowly lost to a decent Fulham side.

Villa's run end of season run was almost entirely down to the form of McGinn (a masterstroke of a signing by Bruce don't forget) and Grealish in the midfield. If even one of them had been injured/suspended for the play-offs they would not have been promoted.

He did absolutely nothing there last season that most managers wouldn't have done. I for one didn't want Smith and I'm glad we never appointed Smith.

As to Bilic, a think it is an excellent appointment. He wouldn't have been my first choice, but I still have no complaints. I fancy next season to be a memorable one and for the right reasons!

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #80 on: June 13, 2019, 06:48:16 PM »
I just know I'm properly excited for the first time in ages.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

barnestormer

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #81 on: June 13, 2019, 06:50:48 PM »
 Great appointment in Bilic which will amount to jacks hit if the board doesn't back him like they didn't with DM

cads_ap_albion

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #82 on: June 13, 2019, 06:56:38 PM »
West brom and villa are two completely different set ups, what works for one may not work for another.

Ever thought that Dean Smith may have rejected us if he was approached?

I also think Smith would have left us for Villa given it is his dream job.

Very pleased with Bilic. Jokanovic was my first choice, but he obviously messed us around, so pleased with Bilic. Board and fans need to back him now.
Nice one Cyrille, nice one son

BaggieBoy04

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #83 on: June 13, 2019, 06:59:22 PM »
Good luck to Billic Next Season will be great COYB
Albion Pride Of The Black Country

Scooby Doo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #84 on: June 13, 2019, 07:08:29 PM »
Hopefully it's a signal of intent. I'm pretty sure Bilic hasn't come here to penny pinch when it comes to the transfer market. He's a big name as far I'm concerned and that in itself will raise eyebrows. I'm looking forward to seeing how he moulds the squad and gets them playing on the attack.

One thing that cannot be said about Bilic is that he lacks a footballing identity.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #85 on: June 13, 2019, 07:15:21 PM »
I just know I'm properly excited for the first time in ages.

Yes, I am reminded of Christmas when I was a kid  ;D
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #86 on: June 13, 2019, 07:26:08 PM »
Glad the search is finally over, but not convinced by the choice. I fear people are being seduced by his name and by his excellent punditry (maybe like the club have been), rather than his lacklustre career in club management.

Nothing he has done so far suggests to me he is the right man to help spearhead the huge rebuild the club will be going through this season.

If Dowling can get the recruitment right, Bilic might be able to ride a wave with his man management skills, but if he can't get us a squad any better than the other top 10 contenders then I don't see Bilic being particularly better than the others around.
Boing Boing

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #87 on: June 13, 2019, 07:31:09 PM »
World Cups, rock bands and law degrees: All you need to know about new West Brom boss Slaven Bilic

Source: https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/slaven-bilic-west-brom-boss-16382832.amp?__twitter_impression=true

赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

garry

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #88 on: June 13, 2019, 07:37:30 PM »
Relieved!
Welcome Slaven - can't wait for the season to start - now let's get some transfers sorted.

jimmyj

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #89 on: June 13, 2019, 07:37:59 PM »
Looking forward to an influx of young Croation players desperate to play under their national footballing hero.  ;)

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #90 on: June 13, 2019, 07:38:35 PM »
Yes, I am reminded of Christmas when I was a kid  ;D

Haha yes! Plus change is being forced on us now, we are having to rebuild in the way we should have done for what, four seasons at least now?

There are a lot of unknown quantities in this coming season but I'm feeling optimistic for the first time in a long time.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #91 on: June 13, 2019, 07:39:20 PM »
Looking forward to an influx of young Croation players desperate to play under their national footballing hero.  ;)

I hope. I've admired their national side since the days of Poborsky.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #92 on: June 13, 2019, 07:40:20 PM »

Top trolling  ;D
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

SirTonyM

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #93 on: June 13, 2019, 07:44:56 PM »
I like the thought of Bilic as he's a big personality, has charisma and is seemingly a little bonkers which is great :)
Also the fact he really wanted to come here and was enthusiastic about the job was encouraging.
I do wonder what assurances he has been given for playing budget. I doubt he would come if there weren't assurances around what money will be available (the optimist in me speaking).

keithowba86

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #94 on: June 13, 2019, 07:45:50 PM »

Didnt he play for czech republic?? :o

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #95 on: June 13, 2019, 07:56:31 PM »

Top trolling  ;D

I'm a knob!!! Anyway that aside, I have admired them since.... er .... that same time!!!

Feel like I've milkshaked myself!  :-[

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #96 on: June 13, 2019, 08:08:39 PM »

I'm a knob!!! Anyway that aside, I have admired them since.... er .... that same time!!!

Feel like I've milkshaked myself!  :-[
That meant something different when I was at school  :-X

Baggie79

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #97 on: June 13, 2019, 08:09:55 PM »
Amazing news and glad they took the time to make sure they got the correct appointment. I have the Crotia home and away tops and the national flag upstairs, it looks like I will be breaking them out pretty soon  :P
Gera, Gera, Gera

glosterbaggie

• WBA Coach

« Reply #98 on: June 13, 2019, 08:37:00 PM »
I like this appointment. I look forward to a new broom sweeping clean. :D
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf - George Orwell"
"You can't put a price on being able too live with yourself"As I said to a tory MP

EastYorksAlbion

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #99 on: June 13, 2019, 08:40:13 PM »
All this talk of Slaven, I was half expecting Jenkins and Dowling to pull a fast one and announce “Slaven has always been our number one target, and he fits all the criteria we had for the role ........... and we have admired Bernie since his days at Middlesbrough!” ;)