Author Topic: Defence Solved  (Read 3833 times)

off_foo_182

• Youth Baggie

Defence Solved
« on: August 21, 2011, 05:38:01 PM »
Break the bank on Cahill and cross our fingers!  :D - Seriously though could we afford it? What would he be looking at 70k a week? £15 Million to sign?
I know we don't have a sniff but do we have the financial muscle to pull something like that off? Or has it all gone on wages?

« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 06:50:48 PM by off_foo_182 »

wba1993dave

• Senior Baggie

Re: Defence Solved
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 05:42:34 PM »
JP will never spend over 10 million on one player, rather have Dann than Cahill and i don't know why we haven't at-least tried a bid for him (Dann) but i think its two late now because it seems arsenal want him :'(
BOING BOING

MICKYMEL

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 05:53:25 PM »
In a word - no.
Whenever we are playing badly, just remember -
Paul Chrichton,Neil Parsley, Andy Mcdermott, Scott Darton, Winston White,Mark Angel, Fabian DeFreitas, Paul Williams......now, do you feel better?

off_foo_182

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 05:56:36 PM »
JP will never spend over 10 million on one player, rather have Dann than Cahill and i don't know why we haven't at-least tried a bid for him (Dann) but i think its two late now because it seems arsenal want him :'(

I don't mean if Peace would, I mean could we financially afford that. Without a loan.

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 05:58:21 PM »
Are you actually suggesting it is often slightly realistic that 15m+ England centre back Gary Cahill could come to us?

I mean really. This is the sort of thing fans of other teams will be screenshotting and laughing at!

collins101

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 06:00:45 PM »
Are you actually suggesting it is often slightly realistic that 15m+ England centre back Gary Cahill could come to us?

I mean really. This is the sort of thing fans of other teams will be screenshotting and laughing at!

I thought he had made it clear he just wants to know if we could afford to spend £10 million plus on one player

BaggieBirdRus

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 06:06:18 PM »
Lets be realistic aye!
Ohhhhh Albion we love you!

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2011, 06:17:10 PM »
If we stay up, Roy commits to another year and is happy with the squad, but wants one big player, someone special to really ignite stuff then maybe next summer we could see a £10million deal, (probably in the style of £6mill plus extras)

Whenever things look bad, remember the Port Vale, Grimsby and Walsall days... not so bad now, eh?!

Formally Solo_Baggie, now one ID for all Baggie internet input

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2011, 06:42:58 PM »
do we have the financial muscle to pull something like that off? Or has it all gone on wages?

No.

We have some players on over £30k a week now and others will be well into the £20k+ a week category. Under Mowbray in the Premiership we were paying relatively low wages yet had a wage bill of £31m and we will have significantly raised that now. We also spent something like £20m on fees that summer too so it gives you an idea of what we possibly have available to us this summer.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 06:48:31 PM by B_H_Baggie »

off_foo_182

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2011, 06:50:07 PM »

If you actually read the post, it is a simple question of could we pull off a £15million 70k a week deal for one player. From a purely financial view.

WSBaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2011, 06:54:10 PM »
If he kept us in the premier league then we would be able to afford it, if he didn't keep us up then we wouldn't be able to afford it and this is what went wrong with teams like Blues and Pompey.

Tipton Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2011, 07:07:38 PM »
Yesterday we put bodys on the line, well drilled and organised, Hogdson has done a wonder job on our defence, hes showed Di Matteo for sure anyway!!

jonny

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2011, 07:50:59 PM »
No - Tamas gives me heart attacks! 

the rainbow turn east

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2011, 07:56:02 PM »
Yesterday we put bodys on the line, well drilled and organised, Hogdson has done a wonder job on our defence, hes showed Di Matteo for sure anyway!!

I bet Di Matteo was thinking "christ!! i really should of played that nicky shorey more often"
Iam honestly starting to see why Marek Cech was his prefered option now LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2011, 08:10:15 PM »
I bet Di Matteo was thinking "christ!! i really should of played that nicky shorey more often"
Iam honestly starting to see why Marek Cech was his prefered option now LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P

Or he was sitting there thinking "that's why I never played Nicky Shorey".
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

The Joust

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2011, 09:02:06 PM »
Silly topic

boing_boing68

• WBA Coach

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2011, 10:17:11 AM »
but its not just one player who costs £15mill and 70k a week though, if we signed a player on 70k a week then Mulumbu, Odemwingie, Foster, Olsson etc would all feel like they should be near that aswell seems as they have helped improve the side or are international players etc.
Baggie Terra

DJ EmmJee

• WBA Manager

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2011, 11:00:10 AM »
Break the bank on Cahill and cross our fingers!  :D - Seriously though could we afford it? What would he be looking at 70k a week? £15 Million to sign?
I know we don't have a sniff but do we have the financial muscle to pull something like that off? Or has it all gone on wages?

His wages and transfer fee would equate to nearly a THIRD of our turnover.

Do the maths yourself.
Thou shalt not maketh jokes. This used to be the best board, I'd ever been on.