Author Topic: The team v Leeds and the similarities to 1980 - 81  (Read 5106 times)

Atomic

• WBA Coach

The team v Leeds and the similarities to 1980 - 81
« on: November 18, 2018, 06:32:22 AM »
I am probably the only person to notice the similarities in our 4-3-3 line up against Leeds to the make up of that superb 1980 - 81 team that finished forth in the old First Division. I say I am probably the only person to notice because I doubt anyone else is quite as weird as I am with regards to my memory of things Albion historic dating back to the late seventies / early eighties. Not just those times though. For example - Albion played Everton in an FA Cup third round tie in January 1989. Anyone know the attendance that day? 31,186. There you go weird. I don't know why I remember that but I do.

Anyway, apologies for my digression, back to the subject.

Allow me to list the two teams. (80 - 81 most played eleven). Leeds team on top 80 -81 team below:

Johnstone
                                           Godden

Adarabioyo             Dawson                       Hegazi                    Gibbs
Batson                   Wile                            Robertson                Statham

Phillips         Livermore            Morrison
                         Robson        Moses                  Owen

Robson - Kanu                       Rodriguez                                   Barnes
                         A Brown       Regis                                          Barnes

Now, allow me to expand. In goal we have two goalkeepers who are good shot stoppers with good reflexes but maybe have a weakness with aerial balls and decision making.

At right back we have two players who are more defensively minded, though Batson would get forward more than Adarabioyo did against Leeds.

At left back we have two players that go forward at will in Gibbs and Statham.

At centre back Dawson and Hegazi reverted back to proper centre halves the type Wile / Robertson were.

The midfield three. We have the workhorses Livermore and Moses. We have the ball players who can pass a ball and dictate the pace in Morrison and Gary Owen. Now admittedly Phillips and Robson are different, there was only one Robson, but both could get forward and score goals. Phillips tackle for his goal was Robson-esque.

The front three is different I admit. Ally Brown would play more narrow than Robson Kanu did and JRod is not Big Cyrille although he did carry the ball forward for a couple of our goals. Cyrille would've done that.

Then of course we have a Barnes wide left now and we have a Barnes wide left then. Harvey and Peter both of whom can / could swap wings or play more infield and both have goals in them.

How weird is all that? I'm probably the only one who thinks so and no-one else probably gives a damn but as it's Sunday and there's nothing else going on I thought I'd share my weirdness with you.  8)

KYA

• WBA Coach

Re: The team v Leeds and the similarities to 1980 - 81
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2018, 09:43:21 AM »
Good side although only about 70% as good as the team a couple of years earlier we were so lucky back then to see Regis, Robson, Cunningham and Co in their prime.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2018, 09:45:37 AM »
Slightly different question... would you put any of todays team in the 80-81 side?  Barnes for Barnes would probably be about it.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2018, 10:03:35 AM »
Slightly different question... would you put any of todays team in the 80-81 side?  Barnes for Barnes would probably be about it.

Not one of them. Peter keeps Harvey out for now. In a few years time who knows. Potentially Sam Johnstone could replace Godden but again not yet.

I think Hegazi is hugely under-rated. He wouldn't replace Ally Rob in the 80 - 81 team but equally I don't think Ally would be as effective in todays game. You can't maim people every game nowadays lol.

Robson, Statham, you could put those two in any team, any era.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2018, 10:06:30 AM »
Good side although only about 70% as good as the team a couple of years earlier we were so lucky back then to see Regis, Robson, Cunningham and Co in their prime.

The 78- 79 team was better but not massively IMO. Cunningham moving made the headlines and was obviously a huge loss but what often gets overlooked is we lost Bomber Brown who was ultimately replaced by Gary Owen a good player but he weren't Bomber and Remi Moses replaced Len Cantello and Cantello was twice the player Remi was.

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2018, 11:39:05 AM »

The 78- 79 team was better but not massively IMO. Cunningham moving made the headlines and was obviously a huge loss but what often gets overlooked is we lost Bomber Brown who was ultimately replaced by Gary Owen a good player but he weren't Bomber and Remi Moses replaced Len Cantello and Cantello was twice the player Remi was.

The three players you mentioned are obviously the ones I had in mind and like for like they are a huge difference it's quite a sobering thought but those who should not be named won the league that year and had we kept Cantello and Cunningham they would have made a difference but such is life.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2018, 11:43:28 AM »
The three players you mentioned are obviously the ones I had in mind and like for like they are a huge difference it's quite a sobering thought but those who should not be named won the league that year and had we kept Cantello and Cunningham they would have made a difference but such is life.

I would say that 78 - 79 team would've won the league in 80 - 81 quite comfortably. Just typical of Albion's luck that team came together two years too soon.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2018, 04:03:11 PM »

Cantello has often been overlooked, especially by outsiders looking at headlines about the three degrees and Robson, he was an absolute keystone.

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2018, 06:03:45 PM »
Cantello has often been overlooked, especially by outsiders looking at headlines about the three degrees and Robson, he was an absolute keystone.

Agree 100% Superb,gifted player.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2018, 10:58:27 PM »
78 to 79 team was without a doubt the best I have seen in 50 years of watching Albion. And yes Cantello was excellent. None of the current team would have made that side. Had you have asked that same question a year ago though, then I would have said yes....... Ben Foster.

EastYorksAlbion

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2018, 12:30:20 AM »
It drives me barmy to think of the talented players we had over the period between 76 and 83, but other than praise and plaudits, we won nothing. Whereas inferior teams local to us, win trophies. In an alternative universe somewhere, there’s an Albion side that won a couple of league titles, a couple of European trophies, two or three domestic trophies, and Ron Saunders never sets foot in the shrine!

chipperclark

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2018, 05:38:30 AM »
 ;D Magnificent team 78/79 and into 80s but decimated by Big Ron moving to Yanited and taking half the team :(

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2018, 10:44:35 AM »
only thing in common are the stripes. 1980 was a far more talented team with a fantastic attitude.
How a number of that team didn't accumulate a lot of England caps was a travesty.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2018, 11:52:02 AM »
only thing in common are the stripes. 1980 was a far more talented team with a fantastic attitude.
How a number of that team didn't accumulate a lot of England caps was a travesty.

How true players like Bomber, Statham, and Cyrille arguably the best in their position with just a handful of caps between them an utter joke.

gurnbaggy

• Site Donator
  • WBA Newbie

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2018, 02:20:44 PM »
;D Magnificent team 78/79 and into 80s but decimated by Big Ron moving to Yanited and taking half the team :(
Whilst this is absolutley true, we did get good money for the players that left (in comparison) and we did nothing with it from a playing staff perpective.  >:(
Better to say nothing and be thought a fool than to speak and prove it.

miggybaggy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2018, 05:53:28 PM »
Whilst this is absolutley true, we did get good money for the players that left (in comparison) and we did nothing with it from a playing staff perpective.  >:(

Re-built the Halfords Lane then spent years going down the pan until the Ardiles era. Still angry now!! It could happen again if we fail to invest in three or four crucial positions in January.

jim68

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2018, 06:56:51 PM »
then daft enough to have him back. then he cleared off again . you couldnt make it up in hindsight  ::) 

Canmore Baggie

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2018, 10:18:28 PM »

I would say that 78 - 79 team would've won the league in 80 - 81 quite comfortably. Just typical of Albion's luck that team came together two years too soon.

The 78-79 team would have won the league in 79 if not for the weather...

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2018, 10:47:08 PM »
The 78-79 team would have won the league in 79 if not for the weather...

Remember going to Norwich, drawing 1-1 to go top of the table until Liverpool played on the Wednesday. As you say the weather put paid to our title hopes, still my best season as an Albion fan
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Canmore Baggie

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2018, 04:42:57 AM »
Remember going to Norwich, drawing 1-1 to go top of the table until Liverpool played on the Wednesday. As you say the weather put paid to our title hopes, still my best season as an Albion fan

Mine too. That 3-year stretch was a great time to be a Baggie.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2018, 08:32:45 AM »
Can we stick to discussing the 80-81 team and the current line up rather than the 78-79 team. Thanks.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill