Author Topic: 11 July 2020 Blackburn 1 Albion 1  (Read 39387 times)

Aztech

• Senior Baggie

Re: After Match Debate
« Reply #300 on: July 11, 2020, 07:53:59 PM »
Okay I've calmed down after a couple of hours.

We started very strangely. Not pressing, dropping into a defensive block of 2 banks then after the first timeout/drink break we started playing a bit. Austin could have had 2. Livermore took a virtual open goal off Krovinovic and missed. Keeper made good saves from Grosicki and Pereira. We held Blackburn comfortably at arms length. The only real worry was not being further in front and some poor play from Calamity Kyle. In the 2nd half this continues for the first 15 minutes. Then and credit to Mowbray he made a quadruple sub with a specific intent to get it forward quicker. Slaven made substitutions almost for the sake of it and got them badly wrong. Grosicki should not have come off. This obsession with Kanu wasting the last 30 minutes of every game. Just run Austin into the ground, he never has to play for us again beyond a week Wednesday. Make him play 270 minutes then he can go on holiday. Livermore should not gave been withdrawn for Harper, yes he's on a yellow but you've got to go to Brunt if you take him off. Got to. Robinson for Krov utterly failed, the former was never involved and the loss of the latter meant we lost control of midfield because once we needed another goal Pereira didn't drop back in.

It was bemusing to watch.

Even then Diangana and Krovinovic have missed 2nd half sitters.

As for their goal. Well in for a penny in for a pound. If you think Townsend and Bartley are better players than Gibbs and Hegazi just watch this goal on a loop. You'll soon see the error of your ways. An atrocious goal to concede.

Thankfully Johnstone stood tall on the one on one and we escaped with a point and further leeway in one of the other games.

I've said in the promotion thread I'm still confident we have the quality to put Huddersfield and QPR to the sword. So it all comes down to not losing on Tuesday. We wouldn't would we?

A fair and honest reflection.

I hope I’m wrong but I can see Fulham scoring early on Tuesday and we will be well and truly in the rubbish.
It is not the taking part, but the winning that counts.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #301 on: July 11, 2020, 07:58:58 PM »
Jacko is right with 99% of that but Townsend has had one average game in about ten. Very harsh on him. He's been consistently good. There's no player ever played the game that doesnt make a mistake.

Bartley on the other hand, that must be at least ten goals he's been responsible for this season and anyone that doesnt believe me go on youtube and watch all the goals we've conceded. Hegazi has to return on Tuesday.

Aztech

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #302 on: July 11, 2020, 08:09:30 PM »
Jacko is right with 99% of that but Townsend has had one average game in about ten. Very harsh on him. He's been consistently good. There's no player ever played the game that doesnt make a mistake.

Bartley on the other hand, that must be at least ten goals he's been responsible for this season and anyone that doesnt believe me go on youtube and watch all the goals we've conceded. Hegazi has to return on Tuesday.

Sorry but I disagree, Townsend, Bartley, Kanu, Zohore are all Lower end championship / league 1 players

TheBaggieMan

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #303 on: July 11, 2020, 08:28:42 PM »

Hegazi has to come back against Fulham and if fit, Gibbs.

Give HRK a holiday voucher for Benidorm along with a taxi ride to Birmingham Airport and a bottle of sun cream.
West Brom 2023/24
Has Sticky the Stick Insect finally got unstuck from that sticky bun?
Great stuff under Corberan - keep it up Baggies!

TheBaggieMan

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #304 on: July 11, 2020, 08:31:44 PM »

Very downhearted and disappointed this evening.
I’m going to lock the missus in the greenhouse where I’ve been staying since lockdown. At least that’ll cheer me up!!!
West Brom 2023/24

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #305 on: July 11, 2020, 08:35:12 PM »
Quote from: tuamigos on Today at 07:15:34 PM: We were 13 points clear at one point

For this very reason, I’m not convinced about Bilic.

It was BILIC that led us on that run that got us 13 points clear in the first place.

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #306 on: July 11, 2020, 08:36:32 PM »
Too much negativity here, we only need 7pts and playing 2 rubbish teams in the final 2 matches.  A draw is enough v Fulham.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #307 on: July 11, 2020, 08:37:19 PM »
Even then Diangana and Krovinovic have missed 2nd half sitters.

This is that killed us today - failure to get the second goal despite chance after chance after chance.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #308 on: July 11, 2020, 08:39:00 PM »
I am not really one for using hindsight, but after todays performance I cannot help but think that if we had have gone all out for Dwight Gayle at the start of the season we would be on the beach by now. He is the sort of player who would have relished the service Periera and co can provide.

Thank god for Sam J who saved us the point.

I remember being shouted down at the start of the season for wanting Gayle because he was "too expensive".  Can anyone seriously say that if we had Gayle in our lineup for the season that we wouldn't have been promoted by now?

Any van anyone say, if we got promoted, would you expect any of our front 3 to be anywhere near our match day squad.

It was a no brainer and could cost us.

Aztech

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #309 on: July 11, 2020, 08:41:08 PM »
Too much negativity here, we only need 7pts and playing 2 rubbish teams in the final 2 matches.  A draw is enough v Fulham.

I don’t think it’s negatively, simply realism.

I hope I’m wrong but I can see us struggling against Fulham and the way Brentford are playing they look like they will win all their remaining games.

Hopefully Swansea give us a massive lift tomorrow, but I doubt it unfortunately

PartisanBaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #310 on: July 11, 2020, 08:46:12 PM »
Quote from: tuamigos on Today at 07:15:34 PM: We were 13 points clear at one point

It was BILIC that led us on that run that got us 13 points clear in the first place.

There you are Baggies82, I knew you’d surface at some point. Our lead was seriously aided by the strange results going on with the teams Just below us. ‘Coupon busters’ I think they call them.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #311 on: July 11, 2020, 08:50:35 PM »
Think I've seen Gayle mentioned a couple of times in this thread now. He's been injured all season and if not for the pandemic would hardly have kicked a ball in anger.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Aztech

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #312 on: July 11, 2020, 08:52:28 PM »
Think I've seen Gayle mentioned a couple of times in this thread now. He's been injured all season and if not for the pandemic would hardly have kicked a ball in anger.

The better option would have been to try and keep Jay Rodriguez, I realise you did not rate him but he would have been far better compared to what we have had this season.

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #313 on: July 11, 2020, 08:58:35 PM »
I don’t think it’s negatively, simply realism.

I hope I’m wrong but I can see us struggling against Fulham and the way Brentford are playing they look like they will win all their remaining games.

Hopefully Swansea give us a massive lift tomorrow, but I doubt it unfortunately

Brentford will undoubtedly take 9pts.  Its about what we do.  We are above Fulham for a reason.  We should not be losing the game.  A Draw or a Win and its in our hands.  We've got to believe we can beat Huddersfield and QPR. They are both sun standard teams.  I'd rather be in our position with a 3 point buffer.  A time to be confident.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #314 on: July 11, 2020, 09:00:24 PM »
The better option would have been to try and keep Jay Rodriguez, I realise you did not rate him but he would have been far better compared to what we have had this season.

Tend to agree, he's a bit of a nothing player imo, not particularly good at anything, and having him on the books cost us last season as Moore crow-barred him into the team sidelining Gayle out wide. But without a Gayle (eg. a better player) he'd have played every game up front this season and got us the goals needed. Didn't want to give us another season at this level though, so not much we could have done.

After he left, we had to replace him with better than Kenneth Zohore. Bilic also has to take some blame for the signing of Zohore and his team selections, he's gone with HRK last season's 3rd choice over his two signings one of which has the same goals in less than half the time.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

PartisanBaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #315 on: July 11, 2020, 09:02:41 PM »
Tend to agree, he's a bit of a nothing player imo, not particularly good at anything, and having him on the books cost us last season as Moore crow-barred him into the team sidelining Gayle out wide. But without a Gayle (eg. a better player) he'd have played every game up front this season and got us the goals needed. Didn't want to give us another season at this level though, so not much we could have done.

After he left, we had to replace him with better than Kenneth Zohore. Bilic also has to take some blame for the signing of Zohore and his team selections, he's gone with HRK last season's 3rd choice over his two signings one of which has the same goals in less than half the time.

Great post.

Aztech

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #316 on: July 11, 2020, 09:05:41 PM »
Brentford will undoubtedly take 9pts.  Its about what we do.  We are above Fulham for a reason.  We should not be losing the game.  A Draw or a Win and its in our hands.  We've got to believe we can beat Huddersfield and QPR. They are both sun standard teams.  I'd rather be in our position with a 3 point buffer.  A time to be confident.

I wish I had your confidence and that of some other supporters, I just have that horrible feeling. Confidence in football or any sport for that matter is massive, Brentford have it in abundance, our players don’t.

This has a similar feel to when we dismantled the Dingles 11 point lead.

Please Albion prove me wrong.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #317 on: July 11, 2020, 09:09:54 PM »
I wish I had your confidence and that of some other supporters, I just have that horrible feeling. Confidence in football or any sport for that matter is massive, Brentford have it in abundance, our players don’t.

This has a similar feel to when we dismantled the Dingles 11 point lead.

Please Albion prove me wrong.

Wasted opportunity today. But the good news is that automatic promotion is in our hands with three games left. Fulham is going to be a colossal match, nervy, probably horrible to watch and sit through - but even as draw is okay. Fingers crossed we get something out of midweek and Huddersfield pull further away from the drop zone before we play them. If we can navigate through those two games then I'd expect us to beat QPR on the final day, who would have nothing to play for and apparently don't particularly like Brentford.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #318 on: July 11, 2020, 09:47:18 PM »
Hmm I can imagine the increased stick HRK would have got if he'd missed the chances Austin had.

We need to get real, there's no way Austin would last  90 mins and be able to play a fullish part on Tuesday.

Following the equaliser you could sense a creeping desperation spreading through the team. We lost all composure, we had time to keep playing and create 2 or 3 more clear chances...we did lose the balance in midfield. Needless yellow from Livermore put himself under pressure.

I fear some tired legs on Tuesday after today's game....big challenge now against a dangerous team.

Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

TheBaggieMan

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #319 on: July 11, 2020, 10:05:17 PM »
I would have even preferred to have brought young Tulloch on in place of Charlie.  Ok, ok, I accept his lack of years and experience but I bet he would have done a more thorough job and certainly no worse than HRK.
West Brom 2023/24

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #320 on: July 11, 2020, 10:06:52 PM »
As I said earlier, I wasn't around to watch the match. I have just seen it on Quest. We were in the ascendency. Kanu came on and with all his back passing etc (his back is mainly towards the goal, so therefore he has no other direction but to pass backwards), we gifted the game to Blackburn who then went on to score and could have also won it. Slaven has to man up and stop putting a negative player up front.

Aztech

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #321 on: July 11, 2020, 10:16:05 PM »
As I said earlier, I wasn't around to watch the match. I have just seen it on Quest. We were in the ascendency. Kanu came on and with all his back passing etc (his back is mainly towards the goal, so therefore he has no other direction but to pass backwards), we gifted the game to Blackburn who then went on to score and could have also won it. Slaven has to man up and stop putting a negative player up front.

It’s one of the things that Bilic must understand and quickly.

On occasions people have blind faith in someone’s ability, I’m just amazed the rest of the coaching staff can’t see it.

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #322 on: July 11, 2020, 10:45:58 PM »
Slow start got into the game half time came at thr wrong time for us. We did ok after the break and needed the second goal and we were on top until we made the changes.

Grosicki although had wasted some good crossing chances was causing havoc and should have stayed on for me. If he wanted to bring diangana on he should have took off either sawyers or krov and switched formation.

Austin was tiring but was still running about but still had time left. Robinson coming on ruined shape and we only looked like losing at this point. Dont know why he didn't play Robinson up top instead of HRK

Added pressure on ourselves for the next one. However we play first for once which might make brentford slip up yet. Just aim for 3 wins and it doesnt matter about anybody else
O Albion we love you

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #323 on: July 11, 2020, 10:50:58 PM »
Just hope that Fulham game doesn't come too early, as I had the feeling that the players put in a massive effort for the Derby game and were not quite ready for today.

Also, second half the team seemed to lose its shape. The Livermore-Harper swap didn't work, and I have a feeling Billic thought Livermore was heading for a red card.  Its a bit unfair to pick on Harper, as he has shown alot of promise, but he's clearly not a 'leader', although we needed that and organisation to give us more control in midfield. I also couldn't see the need for Krovinovic to come off as he was heavily involved.

Swapping Dianga for Grosicki was a bit of a gamble that didn't quite come off, but if one of his shots had gone in, people would say it was a master sub. You couldn't really say the same about HRK coming on for Austin, as HRK's game changing moments have been getting rarer and rarer. His positioning is less good than Austin's, and he reacts too slowly to any half chances.
For Fulham, I'd like to go back to Grosicki & Dianga on the wings so that Peirera can get more involved centrally. Mitrovic needs to be watched closely, including for his little
dives. Knockaert can also do alot of damage with his dribbling and crosses.
Most important is that the players are ready and up for it.

Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

wbako

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #324 on: July 11, 2020, 11:26:06 PM »

Agreed.

Bartley's ineptitude could cost us promotion.
All time favourite player: Jan Kozak