Author Topic: Dwight Gayle (at Newcastle)  (Read 236821 times)

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

Re: Dwight Gayle (on loan swap from Newcastle)
« Reply #225 on: October 07, 2018, 06:19:12 PM »
Wonder no more, it's "Dial G for goals".

It was on one of the Programmes, right?
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

barnestormer

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #226 on: October 07, 2018, 06:27:38 PM »
Not sure if im reading too far into it, but i noticed Gayle liked an instagram comment the other day that said "Hopefully we'll get you here permanently". He seems pretty happy here in my eyes.
Hopefully if us and toon pass each other in going up and them down along with Gayle's shorter remaining contract with them he may think bugga this I want my proper shot in the prem as he ain't had one yet and stay put here.his remaining contract length will have a big bearing on the fee though

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #227 on: October 07, 2018, 06:33:38 PM »
He's got the poacher's knack, watch Barnes goal yesterday, he was right there if it had hit the post or been fingertipped by the keeper.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #228 on: October 07, 2018, 07:49:47 PM »
He's got the poacher's knack, watch Barnes goal yesterday, he was right there if it had hit the post or been fingertipped by the keeper.

And Rondon still to score for Newcastle, though I believe he's out injured at present.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #229 on: October 07, 2018, 08:27:56 PM »
Hopefully if us and toon pass each other in going up and them down along with Gayle's shorter remaining contract with them he may think bugga this I want my proper shot in the prem as he ain't had one yet and stay put here.his remaining contract length will have a big bearing on the fee though

His contract is up next summer, but Newcastle may have a year's option like we have activated on rondon's contract.

If not then the detestable Mike Ashley probably take £3-5m in Jan rather than nothing in June.

In an ideal world we keep him until June and then sign him on a free.

That scenario would more than make up for the Burke signing in my eyes.

deebo

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #230 on: October 08, 2018, 08:25:29 AM »
https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/dwight-gayle/profil/spieler/196522

Link above says his contract with Newcastle is until 2021.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #231 on: October 08, 2018, 08:36:01 AM »
unless we got big bucks we have no chance of signing Gayle or Barnes
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #232 on: October 08, 2018, 08:46:14 AM »
Personally,  I feel that for as long as Benitez remains Newcastle manager, there is a decent chance of us signing Gayle as he is surplus to requirements under him. We have little or no chance of signing Barnes, however, both in terms of price and the players interest in a permanent move here.

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #233 on: October 08, 2018, 11:26:51 AM »
I think it was either in the Sun or Mirror on saturday, there was an interview with Gayle.

I know they are not the bible for football stuff and i was reading a copy whilst waiting for something but Gayle was asked about if he was interested in making the move permanent and he said of course he was, he loved it at the Albion and would be happy to move permanent at the end of his loan but said the club may not still want him, and other things may happen, but he indicated from his side he is happy.

He also said he prefers the championship as a striker as you get more chances and the games are more open where in the premier league you are asked to do more defensive work and when you play the top 6, you know 90% of the time they will win, to be fair to him i think he has mainly had more defensive minded managers in the past , if we did go up then based on Big Daves approach so far i dont think he would have to worry about that!

We would probably lose some games 15-5 but also win some too and create lots more chances than our previous times in the premier league!

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #234 on: October 08, 2018, 11:32:25 AM »
Thanks for your clarification 79, very interesting that was in the paper,instead of guessing like others seem to do.

Wigmore

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #235 on: October 08, 2018, 11:41:47 AM »
Thanks for your clarification 79, very interesting that was in the paper,instead of guessing like others seem to do.
Sadly, the fact that a newspaper prints stories does not automatically make them any more accurate than a spectator's guesswork.

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #236 on: October 08, 2018, 12:01:08 PM »
Fake news is prevalent nowadays unfortunately.

Dan87uk

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #237 on: October 08, 2018, 04:07:44 PM »
Couldn't be more pleased with how Gayle is playing for us and I'd be of mind to suggest we try and make the move permanent in January before Newcastle realise that Rondon is not up to the job for them.
The Only Dependable Thing About The Future Is Uncertainty

Mooncat

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #238 on: October 08, 2018, 04:27:34 PM »
He's not exactly pulling up trees for them, but then they may be saying the same about Gayle - lets sell him while they think he's good in the Championship

graka

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #239 on: October 08, 2018, 11:11:42 PM »
I'd still like to see rondon play for us and sign Gayle if we go up.
For me rondon holds the ball up better than jay rod and Gayle is a better finisher than jay and if we do go back up different options are needed.

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #240 on: October 09, 2018, 02:04:56 AM »
I thought it was Dial G for Gayle

tylerm

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #241 on: October 09, 2018, 10:34:14 AM »
I'd still like to see rondon play for us and sign Gayle if we go up.
For me rondon holds the ball up better than jay rod and Gayle is a better finisher than jay and if we do go back up different options are needed.

In my opinion Rondon is suited to Pulis football. If we have to swop him back for Gayle we will be miles worse off.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #242 on: October 09, 2018, 12:55:56 PM »
 Whatever division we find ourselves in next season I would want Gayle permanently. Let Rondon stay where he is or move elsewhere. The guy works incredibly hard but just does not score enough goals.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #243 on: November 25, 2018, 07:31:40 PM »
Bolasie posted a picture on Instagram saying we know what colour the city  is...

To which Gayle has commented with the baggies colours.

Got to love him.

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #244 on: December 10, 2018, 03:29:46 AM »
The mans goals to minutes for ratio for us I imagine is very good. I can't think of him missing a chance either. Defiantly our most potent weapon. I was a doubter of his before he signed but he's shut me up well and truly
O Albion we love you

BigFrank20

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #245 on: December 10, 2018, 04:11:48 AM »
The mans goals to minutes for ratio for us I imagine is very good. I can't think of him missing a chance either. Defiantly our most potent weapon. I was a doubter of his before he signed but he's shut me up well and truly
It's difficult to think of anyone else in our squad who could have taken that chance that well on Friday?
BoingBoing, a Baggie born and a Baggie I shall die (one day)

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #246 on: December 10, 2018, 08:47:23 AM »
It's difficult to think of anyone else in our squad who could have taken that chance that well on Friday?

Barnes is about the only other one I'd say.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #247 on: December 10, 2018, 01:13:34 PM »

Missed a header against Villa  ;) . In fairness though his conversion rate is better than Jay Rod's by some distance. Somebody posted a link to our conversion rates the other week (can't remember if it was on here or on Unofficial) but I can't find it now. I'll have a look and post it if/when I do.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #248 on: December 10, 2018, 03:44:04 PM »
Gayle is an instinctive finisher, in a way that J-Rod isn't, he seems to stay very calm in the moment which is one of the key qualities for any top striker. The header was a chance but not a given, he made sure he got above the defender early but then could not control the header, it would have been an absolute cracker if he had scored.

He does not have the physicality of some really top strikers, which is why he might struggle a bit in the top division when the best defenders are not only stronger but have pace to match.  But in this division his skill set of pace and finishing is spot on. 

What I also like about him is that he really buzzes around making a right nuisance of himself when not in possession, he seems to have a real hunger for the game.   The difference between his entrance as sub the previous game, and Burke's cameo on Friday was north and south. 

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #249 on: December 10, 2018, 03:54:53 PM »
Gayle is an instinctive finisher, in a way that J-Rod isn't, he seems to stay very calm in the moment which is one of the key qualities for any top striker. The header was a chance but not a given, he made sure he got above the defender early but then could not control the header, it would have been an absolute cracker if he had scored.

He does not have the physicality of some really top strikers, which is why he might struggle a bit in the top division when the best defenders are not only stronger but have pace to match.  But in this division his skill set of pace and finishing is spot on. 

What I also like about him is that he really buzzes around making a right nuisance of himself when not in possession, he seems to have a real hunger for the game.   The difference between his entrance as sub the previous game, and Burke's cameo on Friday was north and south.

He reminds me a bit of Paul Peschisolido - when he played against us he was a real pain and you couldnt take your eye of him, so I was rather pleased when we signed him. For me Gayle is in the same mould, you know he only needs half a chance and as you say he buzzes around and makes a real nuisance of himself... something that has been missing from our game in recent times.

Love the bloke and I really hope he stays......even if we go up.
MAGA!