Author Topic: Chris Brunt  (Read 766524 times)

GrGr

• WBA Coach

Re: Chris Brunt
« Reply #75 on: March 17, 2012, 09:01:45 PM »
I'm a Brunt fan, but he was utterly inept today.

Aye. I like Brunty but he was horrible today, and his body language can be so annoying at times.

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #76 on: March 17, 2012, 09:02:49 PM »
Poor today but lets not forget this is only his second game after a very long lay off. I agree that he doesn't suit the fast, counter attacking 451 system that we have been playing in recent weeks. It requires pace out wide, something which Brunt simply doesn't have. Perhaps a move inside as part of a midfield 3 could work...

not being nasty but since he has come back we have looked poor!

charliewestbrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #77 on: March 17, 2012, 09:02:54 PM »
I think he needs a couple of home games to settle into the team. He was poor today, but so was a lot of the team. Even Morrison who has been at the centre of alot our good performances in recent games couldn't get to grips with the game.

People are right to highlight his lack of pace for this game and his unsuitiblity to 4-3-3, but he deserves some patience as he does have undoubted quality.

GrGr

• WBA Coach

« Reply #78 on: March 17, 2012, 09:05:16 PM »
Poor today but lets not forget this is only his second game after a very long lay off. I agree that he doesn't suit the fast, counter attacking 451 system that we have been playing in recent weeks. It requires pace out wide, something which Brunt simply doesn't have. Perhaps a move inside as part of a midfield 3 could work...

Brunt was fine in our 451 last season. It's more a matter of form for him imo. He hasn't really played in a 451 this season apart from the Chelsea game (the United game was just a caputulation apart from the first few minutes when we actually tried to attack).

Today was weird, nominally we had a 451 but we kept hoofing it up the channels for some strangre reason, maybe because we had Long upfront, instead of playing football through the midfield.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 09:06:50 PM by GrGr »

Nocky

• WBA Coach

« Reply #79 on: March 17, 2012, 09:53:40 PM »
Is not and never will be a centre midfielder especially in the Prem, he does not have the stamina, discipline or work ethic for it. Yes he puts decent balls through at times (usually coming in from wide) but would I have him in the centre over any other player we have ? not at any time.

In a 2 man center midfield I would totally agree. However with 3 in there he would have more protection and would have more opportunity to get on the ball and use his passing ability. I don't think his work rate is an issue at all anymore. I think he's more than proved that over the last couple of years.

I think it's a bit much to say you wouldn't have him in there at any time. I could certainly see him having a impact in there if we required a bit more creativity. Not saying he should be a starter in there by any means, just that it might be an option.
"Champions aren't made in the gym. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them - a desire, a dream, a vision."

Muhammad Ali

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #80 on: March 17, 2012, 10:18:12 PM »
i dont like his attitude he always seems so slump his shoulders and be quite moody, last week against man u he gave the ball away before they scored and kinda huffed and puffed for a moment before chasing back, he mustve been centimetres away from blocking the ball but because he had a tiny little moment where his work ethic let him down we conceded. its fine lines and i think brunt defensively is very very poor
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #81 on: March 17, 2012, 10:20:19 PM »
I wouldn't have him in any centre midfield to be fair, two or three. I have yet to see anything from him as a centre midfielder apart from last season at home to Newcastle when they had nothing to offer, all other games when ever he has been in the middle he has offered nothing. He is not and never will be a Premier League centre midfielder.

You will never convince me and the performances I have seen only confirm it for me, you see it different fine, I am happy to accept that but will never agree on it.

Its not knee jerk from today as i've always consistently said the same starting away at Coventry pre-season a couple of years ago when it was first tried.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #82 on: March 17, 2012, 10:58:59 PM »
Poor body language and therefore never should be captain.

Lots of talent but will never be consistent. Even when playing badly he is likely to produce a killer pass.  Invaluable squad player but never one to be able to rely on.

graka

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #83 on: March 17, 2012, 10:59:08 PM »
with mulumbu and andrews in the middle morrison as been superb. with brunty coming inside it takes some of the spaces away that morrison likes to run into. i like brunt as i do long but the way the teams been playing with fortune up top and pete out wide i,d have to leave long and brunt on the bench. a very nice position to be in though.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 11:07:02 PM by OldburyWBA »

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #84 on: March 17, 2012, 11:17:49 PM »
On the last two games, he has not provided anything in midfield, I think the Mulumbu, Morrison, Andrews combination is the best we have in centre mid.

Brunt is a decent player, but not a definite starter anymore.
Baggie in Southampton

rubyruby

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #85 on: March 17, 2012, 11:38:06 PM »
Amazes me that we should be knocking a player that has given us so much and is an integral part of where we come from, A top notch Prem player end of for me

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #86 on: March 17, 2012, 11:57:53 PM »
Amazes me that we should be knocking a player that has given us so much and is an integral part of where we come from, A top notch Prem player end of for me

Some rate him, some don't, some are in-between, simple as that, its what forums like this are for.

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #87 on: March 18, 2012, 12:07:53 AM »
He's been brilliant for us in the last 4 years or so. He's a good player and has a wonderfull left foot. He also slows the game down alot, which in our attack isn't really what we're after.

If we had two good/v good wingers in the squad who could run with pace/shoot/cross (i know it's the whole package, but sinclair was available for only £1million recently) then WBA could well have been top 8 at the moment.

I'll never knock Brunt, one of only a few player capable of putting a freekick hard into the top corner. But if we are the progress him and Thomas need to be improved upon.
Whenever things look bad, remember the Port Vale, Grimsby and Walsall days... not so bad now, eh?!

Formally Solo_Baggie, now one ID for all Baggie internet input

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #88 on: March 18, 2012, 12:10:48 AM »
He's one of the most inconsistent players I've ever seen at the Albion. One week he's putting in some great balls and is really into the game, the next he just dissapears and is nowhere!

This season has been poorer than last for Brunt, but he's still an asset. He did provide our assist this week and will always have an attacking threat to his game. He needs to improve on defending still. I know he's progressed in recent years but the time has came to step up again in that aspect. His pace however, will probably never improve.

I still think he's a good player to have around!

born-2-boing

« Reply #89 on: March 18, 2012, 12:11:26 AM »
I wouldn't have him in any centre midfield to be fair, two or three. I have yet to see anything from him as a centre midfielder apart from last season at home to Newcastle when they had nothing to offer, all other games when ever he has been in the middle he has offered nothing. He is not and never will be a Premier League centre midfielder.

You will never convince me and the performances I have seen only confirm it for me, you see it different fine, I am happy to accept that but will never agree on it.

Its not knee jerk from today as i've always consistently said the same starting away at Coventry pre-season a couple of years ago when it was first tried.

to be fair phil did say this and I agree with him, not a centre midfielder in premier league, different style of play in championship

Jonah

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #90 on: March 18, 2012, 12:12:07 AM »
Opposing fans always seem to rate Brunt as one our best players.
Proud To Be A Baggie.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #91 on: March 18, 2012, 12:27:17 AM »
Opposing fans always seem to rate Brunt as one our best players.

Probably because on MOTD it shows his key chances. Brunts overall play is lacking. If it wasn't for his severely talented left foot, he'd be playing in League 1. His game will always be about creating chances/goals, which is probably why others rate him so highly.

Nocky

• WBA Coach

« Reply #92 on: March 18, 2012, 12:31:36 AM »

I'm not trying to convince you or anybody else tbh. First and foremost he's a wide player but I think he's potentially got the tools to play in the middle. Even when he does play wide he spends a decent amount of time drifting into the middle so that he can influence the game.

I remember the majority of people on here (me included) saying that James Morrison was never a CM and was much better wide. Good players can adapt and Chris Brunt is a good player.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 12:36:15 AM by Nocky »
"Champions aren't made in the gym. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them - a desire, a dream, a vision."

Muhammad Ali

Nocky

• WBA Coach

« Reply #93 on: March 18, 2012, 12:35:34 AM »
Probably because on MOTD it shows his key chances. Brunts overall play is lacking. If it wasn't for his severely talented left foot, he'd be playing in League 1. His game will always be about creating chances/goals, which is probably why others rate him so highly.

If it wasn't for David Beckham's supremely talented right foot he probably would have been a mediocre PL player. You could pretty much level the 'what if' scenario at any player. The fact is, Chris Brunt has one of the best left foots in the business and has the vision to execute passes and crosses that other players in our team don't. He was in the top 3/4 players for assist last season. You don't get those sort of statistics through luck, you get them through being a very good player.

Muhammad Ali

tipton baggie 80

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #94 on: March 18, 2012, 12:36:13 AM »
According to the 'Player Efficiency' category from 'Stats' at the following link;

http://www.imscouting.com/teams/england/west-bromwich-albion/stats/

Brunt is our 4th most productive player this season in terms of goals and assists. Will have gone up today too.

He frustrates me, but i can see the benefit of having him in the team.
West Bromwich Albion, finishing above Staffordshire's finest when in the same league over the last 12 years

WSBaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #95 on: March 18, 2012, 12:38:03 AM »
Our most underrated player and one of the most underrated in the Premier League.

He's more than good enough for a top half PL team... It's just what position he is played in.

BaggieJames114

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #96 on: March 18, 2012, 01:35:26 AM »
IMO hes one of our best players. great left foot and can split a defence with one pass (Newcastle away for example) Great asset to have in our team

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #97 on: March 18, 2012, 03:26:06 AM »
I think he is a great player which doesn't suit current system. Neither does Long.

having read all these comments this sums up the most adequately.
Brunt is a slow build up man and is suited to 4-4-2 and having someone airly domiant to aim at.
long is not a lone striker and was utter dross today. hes a finisher who needs to play in a big man little man combo or not at all.

both wasted in 4-5-1
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 11:19:18 AM by OldburyWBA »
O Albion we love you

RowleyBaggie2

• WBA Manager

« Reply #98 on: March 18, 2012, 08:02:47 AM »
A very skillful footballer who builds moves up and adds a calming presence in our team.

I'd love to see the points his assists have won us, it would render this topic locked.
I only go for the beer.

AshD

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #99 on: March 18, 2012, 10:39:04 AM »
My issue with him is when we have him in the team, we lose a lot of width as he keeps cutting in. How many crosses does he actually put into the box (excluding set pieces)???

For me, he would come straight out when Odemwingie is back. Maybe its the system that doesnt suit, but whatever it is, I dont think we are as good a team with him in it than we are without him!