Author Topic: Worst Albion XI  (Read 16460 times)

garry

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

Re: Worst Albion XI
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2017, 01:15:31 PM »
What was wrong with Cowdrill and Nicky Cross ?? seemed to do a job ok
I recall Nicky Cross scoring the only goal on a day we beat Villa 1-0 (I was in the Brummie with a Villa buddy) - a truly great day.
Don't diss Nicky Cross!

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2017, 01:28:14 PM »
Shocking, Chris Whyte was player of the year in the 1988/89 season.

Got him for an absolute song, sold him to Leeds where he went onto to win the League title.

You must have been some kind of a centre half to include him in a worst ever Albion side.

Darren Bradley? Got to be on a wind up  ;D .

And Stacy Caldicott was a midfielder, not a right back.

Chris Whyte and Stacey North were a pretty useful pairing for the then Second division from memory.
MAGA!

WoysWunderful

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2017, 01:29:57 PM »
*Worst for me represents worst in relation to the league/squad level at the time that played regular first team football .
*First season was 1999-2000

GK Zuberbulher

LB Joe Mattock
CB Sam (dodgy) Sodji
CB  Chris (loved a red card) Perry
RB Cosmin Contra

Dm Pele
Dm Jordao

RF Scott Sinclair
AM Marcus Rosenberg
LF Fabien Defraitos

CF Ricky f**king Lambert

completley forgot about dodgy sodje and perry, absolute dog pooh.

I quite liked pele  :-[

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2017, 01:52:44 PM »
                                       Crichton

Parsley            Berthe                      Herbet           Darton

Angel                  Parkin          Dickens         Gilbert

White         Williams
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

silver surfer

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2017, 03:10:38 PM »
                                    1 Critchton

2 Mcdermott    5 Meite         6 Martis         3 Darton

7 Moore      4 Townsend       11 Groves    8 Ampadu

9 Ideye         10 Lambert

Subs: Lange, Olsson, Carbon, Hamilton, Coldicott, De Freitas, Angel.

That team would lose to school kids. Crichton couldn't even kick the ball, remember the game at Molineux? I bet he's still having nightmares. That team actually makes me shudder haha.
As in Jonas? surely not.
Hamilton was a good midfielder and integral to us getting promoted in 93. still each to their own.

silver surfer

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2017, 03:12:05 PM »
I recall Nicky Cross scoring the only goal on a day we beat Villa 1-0 (I was in the Brummie with a Villa buddy) - a truly great day.
Don't diss Nicky Cross!
Here here.

miggybaggy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2017, 03:50:45 PM »
No ones yet mentioned a striker we had in about the mid 80's called Stewart Evans......by far the worst player I've ever seen in the shirt! Could barely stand up.

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2017, 04:23:49 PM »
No ones yet mentioned a striker we had in about the mid 80's called Stewart Evans......by far the worst player I've ever seen in the shirt! Could barely stand up.
In mine  mate as Evans .S. because Evans.M. wasn't much better !!!
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2017, 04:27:59 PM »
What? No place for De Freitas who didn't even know kick off times
And couldn't remember his boots. There's some names on here that I find strange, Roberts, ,Cross, Hamilton!!

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2017, 04:51:07 PM »
Very harsh on Ideye, he was streets ahead of the likes of Luke Moore and Sherjil MacDonald and earned a move to Olympiacos. As for Olsson, I'm assuming that's not Jonas?

If you compare Ideye (modern) to some of the old players, you could argue he's better. But that would only be down to modern fitness regimes and diets. He's not talented and is very poor all round. He reminded me of De Freitas. I think Andy Hunt, Bob Taylor, Pesch, Phillips etc would run rings round him. He was another one of those big players who should be fast and strong, yet someone sneezed by him and he fell over.

With regards Olsson, I was talking about Jonas. I do actually like him. But you can't tell me his distribution and judgement was top quality? He was a decent header and tried hard, but he just couldn't play football. And he always had his hands all over the opposition which used to annoy me.

As in Jonas? surely not.
Hamilton was a good midfielder and integral to us getting promoted in 93. still each to their own.

I felt a bit sorry for Hamilton. He tried hard and got a lot of stick. He wasn't dirty and I remembered him setting up a few goals, but he was never going to set the world on fire. I actually found it a bit difficult filling a couple of spaces. I think generally we've had decent players.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2017, 04:56:19 PM »
Or the legend that was.... Colin Anderson!

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2017, 06:00:38 PM »

Got him for an absolute song, sold him to Leeds where he went onto to win the League title.

You must have been some kind of a centre half to include him in a worst ever Albion side.

Maybe I caught Chris Whyte on some bad days. Just remember him and Stacy North as very average in a very average side somewhere down the divisions.
Darren Bradley? Apart from his worldy from outside the box v Wolves, I just remember him as very run of the mill who somehow managed to be captain!
All about opinions :)
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

Nice1Cyrille

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2017, 06:12:10 PM »
Don't diss Nicky Cross!
I stand corrected on Nicky Cross now you mention beating the vile. However i had a few season tickets over the years and he never impressed me.
As for Barry Cowdrill I always remember him being slow and lightweight in the tackle. That being said I'm sure you can come up with many more LB that performed worse.

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2017, 06:19:30 PM »
I stand corrected on Nicky Cross now you mention beating the vile. However i had a few season tickets over the years and he never impressed me.
As for Barry Cowdrill I always remember him being slow and lightweight in the tackle. That being said I'm sure you can come up with many more LB that performed worse.
Darton , Lillwall and Harvey to name but three !!!
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2017, 07:20:48 PM »

Agreed mate Chris Whyte was a quality player, actually too good for us at that time. Darren Bradley was a very useful player, who scored a wonderful goal against the Dingles, and that in itself means he could never be in a Worst XI 
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2017, 08:10:06 PM »
Don't diss Nicky Cross!
I’d forgotten this. Was it a chipped goal, very late in the game, in front of the Brummie? I remember going mental at something similar.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2017, 08:50:59 PM »
Graham Roberts??? Seriously?

I remember when he joined us he was at the end of his career but was still better than half the squad. He will forever have my gratitude for sorting Bully out on more than one occasion......

Wiki will tell you he played for us 39 times and scored six goals - not a bad return for a 'useless' player.......

Graham Roberts took penalties I think and was useful at set pieces.  He turned like an oil tanker though and look what happened v Woking in 1991.  We also went down in 1991 and failed to get up from Div 3 in 1992.  GR was way past it at the Hawthorns.

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2017, 09:12:19 PM »
Roberts was only 32 at the time and was completely gone

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2017, 09:39:30 PM »
Anybody including Olsson is a wind up surely - for the worst Albion squad? Ridiculous

He is an integral part of why we are where we are now. One of our best centre halves in modern times and very rarely let us down. Granted his legs started to go in his final season with us.

There have been far worse than Olsson:
Donk, Barnett, Clement, Martis, Pele, Cesar, Hegazi, Perry, Sodjie, McShane, Davies, Moore, Gaardsoe, Volmer, Berthe, Jara, Meite, Tamas, Lugano

Cannot think of any more but all of the above are not fit to lace Olsson's boots.

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Legend

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2017, 09:51:39 PM »
Olsson would be in my best Albion XI. He was crucial to us in our first few PL seasons. I remember when we used to say "If Olsson is injured we're in big trouble". He should have left us sooner than he did as he wasn't the player he once was but what a top pro he is.
the regime don't like it man

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2017, 09:52:30 PM »
Anybody including Olsson is a wind up surely - for the worst Albion squad? Ridiculous

He is an integral part of why we are where we are now. One of our best centre halves in modern times and very rarely let us down. Granted his legs started to go in his final season with us.

There have been far worse than Olsson:
Donk, Barnett, Clement, Martis, Pele, Cesar, Hegazi, Perry, Sodjie, McShane, Davies, Moore, Gaardsoe, Volmer, Berthe, Jara, Meite, Tamas, Lugano

Cannot think of any more but all of the above are not fit to lace Olsson's boots.
It's not very often but occasionally I wish we had a like button on here- spot on, Jonas had his faults but one of the best not worst
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2017, 09:54:02 PM »
for what its worth Chris Whyte wouldn't be far away from my best Albion 11, thought he was a class act and went on to better things after he left us.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2017, 10:18:44 PM »
for what its worth Chris Whyte wouldn't be far away from my best Albion 11, thought he was a class act and went on to better things after he left us.
Chris white was Anelka before Anelka was Anelka, if you get where I'm coming from, quality player,I bet his stats would bear that out too!
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

TAFKATMNo1Fan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #48 on: October 19, 2017, 08:20:02 AM »
Paul Crichton

Neil Parsley
Shaun Murphy
Matt Carbon
Scott Darton

James Quinn
Winston White
Mike Phelan
Paul Groves

Paul Williams
Tony Rees

Sted1990

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #49 on: October 19, 2017, 12:28:55 PM »
Sometimes I despise fellow baggies fans, Jonas as there worst, absolute disgrace of an opinion.