Author Topic: Mikey Johnston joins on loan (Official!)  (Read 22296 times)

gazberg

• WBA Manager

Mikey Johnston joins on loan (Official!)
« on: February 01, 2024, 08:37:48 PM »
https://www.wba.co.uk/news/mikey-johnston-joins-loan-celtic?fbclid=IwAR1oNJ-ICYqS1UPsXEWgwW__3n54FarCYYYVImVwNAGPWUxciAYQ3juCrfU

Albion have signed Celtic winger Mikey Johnston on loan for the remainder of the Sky Bet Championship season, subject to international clearance.

Johnston becomes the Baggies’ third signing of the January transfer window, joining fellow additions Andi Weimann and Callum Marshall in Carlos Corberán’s first-team squad.

The 24-year-old attacker has made 92 appearances in all competitions for the Scottish champions, including nine since the start of December.

He made his international debut for the Republic of Ireland in March 2023 and has now earned eight caps, scoring twice.

And the Glasgow-born wide player cannot wait to get started.

“I want to hit the ground running and make an impact right away,” said Mikey. “I think the deal has been rumbling on since the start of the window, so I’m just happy to get it over the line.

“Right from the start, the gaffer Carlos Corberán was on to me to get me in. He was telling me all about the way he likes to play and bits about the club.

“I was really keen as soon as I spoke to him. He’s impressive. You know exactly what he needs from you and it’s exactly the type of manager I like to work under.”

Head coach Carlos Corberán added: “At the start of the window we identified a need to increase our attacking options, specifically in wide positions.

“Mikey was one of our targets going into this window and we are delighted he is joining us.

“He is a player with European and international football experience as a winger and, if needed, he also has the qualities required to play as a number 10.

“Mikey has the skill to make a difference in the final third and the fact he has played regularly for Celtic in December and January means he will be able to make an immediate impact here.”

Welcome to the club
« Last Edit: February 02, 2024, 01:28:59 PM by MarkW »

DevonInStripes

• Youth Baggie

Re: MIKEY JOHNSTON SIGNS OFFICIAL
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2024, 08:40:46 PM »
Good signing . Welcome to the Albion Mikey !

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2024, 08:47:19 PM »
Hmmm celtic fans on twitter reaching Zohore levels of delight that he has gone from Celtic. Not a permanent thankfully and let's hope they are wrong.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2024, 08:49:18 PM »
Happy days. Celtic fans skating him but 2-3 years ago if somebody took Matty Phillips of our hands the comments would’ve been full of the same and he has no become an integral part of the team so let’s hope CC can get the most out of this guy.

And if it turns out he’s dire then we part ways in a few months.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2024, 08:59:22 PM »
Reviews are somewhere between Burke and Zohore, so I won't get my hopes up, but he is ultimately coming in to make cameo appearances from the bench when we need some creativity to break a team down. It seems a mix of injuries and a lack of a developed footballing brain have held him back so far, but on a limited budget, let's hope he gives us a bit of occasional spark in 3 or 4 games in the second half of the season.
Boing Boing

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2024, 09:02:39 PM »
Till the end of the season we now have:

Diangana, Fellows, Wallace, Swift, Pipa, Weimann, Reach, Johnston who can all play on the wing.

One of our main issues last season was injuries at this stage. At least we are well-stocked this season.

Baggie79

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2024, 09:06:15 PM »
I would imagine that Fellows will be the impact sub on the right and Johnston will be the impact sub on the left. He wont be on restrictive wages so not a massive risk. You never know he might just be good.
Gera, Gera, Gera

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2024, 09:17:49 PM »
Anyone noticed his likeness to the boss like a young CC.

DevonInStripes

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2024, 09:18:02 PM »
Interesting that a player in his 20’s with league experience and trophies to his name is viewed less favourably than a teenager with one FA Cup appearance to his name . It will be a case of wait and see who has the greater impact of these 2 loan signings at the end of the season .
« Last Edit: February 01, 2024, 09:41:05 PM by DevonInStripes »

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2024, 09:19:53 PM »
Interesting that a player in his 20’s with league experience and trophies to his name is viewed lass favourably than a teenager with one FA Cup appearance to his name . It will be a case of wait and see who has the greater impact of these 2 loan signings at the end of the season .

For me it's the fact that WHU fans rate their player and Celtic fans don't rate their player. The views on MJ  from Celtic fans are similar to the views on Zohore/Chalobah and they were right.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2024, 09:33:02 PM »
For me it's the fact that WHU fans rate their player and Celtic fans don't rate their player. The views on MJ  from Celtic fans are similar to the views on Zohore/Chalobah and they were right.

Diangana and Rogic meanwhile were lauded by each respective set of supporters. You'd have been hard pressed to find Cardiff/Watford supporters with a kind word to say for Zohore and Chalobah beyond thank Fido for that they've travelled in another direction.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Baggie79

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2024, 09:34:57 PM »
Fiest video interview is now on the O/S
Gera, Gera, Gera

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2024, 09:36:44 PM »
Diangana and Rogic meanwhile were lauded by each respective set of supporters. You'd have been hard pressed to find Cardiff/Watford supporters with a kind word to say for Zohore and Chalobah beyond thank Fido for that they've travelled in another direction.

I've been on Celtic twitter and they don't have much good to say about him, in fact most of it unprintable.

At least he's here with zero expectations of him i guess!

TAFKATMNo1Fan

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Mikey Johnston signs (Official!)
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2024, 09:51:38 PM »
Welcome to the Albion!
Ignore the negative fans who have wrote you off already
I trust CC to make you a better player

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2024, 10:39:09 PM »
Welcome Mikey. As is the norm, many have written you off without even seeing you. I will look forward to you proving them wrong.

Albertbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2024, 10:48:40 PM »
I mean, they had Rogic on a par with Mbappe, so I'll judge what I see rather than take their word as gospel

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2024, 10:54:00 PM »
I mean, they had Rogic on a par with Mbappe, so I'll judge what I see rather than take their word as gospel

That's a fair point someone had already mentioned. Their view and dominance in SPL can leave them skewered in their opinions I guess

Lukeb

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2024, 01:48:46 AM »
Johnston is steady without being spectacular. Not near as bad as some make out but probably not someone who will elevate us massively with his quality. Should still play a role for us.

Rogic still hurts. We saw a 10th of his talent. Unfortunately got him at a time when he was dealing with off-the-field personal issues.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2024, 07:53:18 AM »
good luck at the Albion Mikey. celtic supporters not very complimentary about him at all. lets just hope we can get a tune out of him, you never know

I can't think of a player less suited to the English championship said one
« Last Edit: February 02, 2024, 07:56:40 AM by WBAinDEVON »
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2024, 08:26:06 AM »
good luck at the Albion Mikey. celtic supporters not very complimentary about him at all. lets just hope we can get a tune out of him, you never know

I can't think of a player less suited to the English championship said one

I assume they meant that he would struggle making the step up in level from the SPL to the Championship.

He can play in a couple of positions so gives us options. Hopefully he'll have a positive impact.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2024, 08:37:43 AM by Hull Baggie »
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2024, 10:17:02 AM »
Maybe he is seen as Sarmiento's replacement. Apparently he is the type of winger who looks for one against one situations. Let's hope he is more interested in performing for the team, than for himself.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2024, 11:56:15 AM »
Don't you think that fans can make deliberately misleading comments?  They big up players whom they want to see leave and perhaps get a good loan or transfer fee:  "I really hope no-one comes in for Zohore." 
They denigrate players that they don't want to lose.
Can you imagine the fans of Newells Old Boys: "That Messi, he's bloody rubbish.  Barcelona would be mad to take him."
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2024, 12:34:24 PM »
I don't remember any reverse psychology for Zohore or Chalobah just sheer delight and relief from their fans similar to MJ.  3rd time luky hopefully!

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2024, 12:58:50 PM »
Don't you think that fans can make deliberately misleading comments?  They big up players whom they want to see leave and perhaps get a good loan or transfer fee:  "I really hope no-one comes in for Zohore." 
They denigrate players that they don't want to lose.
Can you imagine the fans of Newells Old Boys: "That Messi, he's bloody rubbish.  Barcelona would be mad to take him."

I wouldn’t say these types of comments are deliberately misleading, they tongue n cheek, sarcastic comments that are generally easy to spot in context of and amongst wider fan opinion.

Most Celtic fans genuinely think he’s terrible and are happy to never see him play for them again

chippyclarke

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2024, 06:45:09 PM »
I don't remember any reverse psychology for Zohore or Chalobah just sheer delight and relief from their fans similar to MJ.  3rd time luky hopefully!
I think Chalobah is starting to look very good - he did play for England once and anyone on Chelsea's books has to have some skill!