Author Topic: Josh Maja joins Albion  (Read 17715 times)

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

Josh Maja joins Albion
« on: August 01, 2023, 10:05:17 AM »
Express and Star reporting Maja signing is imminent. They claim he had a medical yesterday.

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/west-bromwich-albion/2023/08/01/west-brom-close-in-on-striker-josh-maja-free-transfer/

"Albion are closing in on the free transfer of former Sunderland and Bordeaux striker Josh Maja.
The 24-year-old underwent a medical at the Albion's training ground in Walsall yesterday and an announcement of his addition is likely to be imminent.

Maja checks in after his departure from French Ligue 2 outfit Bordeaux, who he called time on four-and-a-half years with at the end of his contract earlier this summer. The London-born striker netted 16 goals in 38 appearances last term as his side missed out on promotion back to the top tier.

Maja is a long-term target of the club and seen as a coup by Albion in the context of working against their current financial backdrop. Bordeaux were keen to retain his services this summer and there was a host of Championship interest, including from Middlesbrough and Sheffield Wednesday. Rangers were also linked earlier in the window.

The frontman adds crucial competition to Carlos Corberan's frontline at The Hawthorns. The Spanish head coach had only Brandon Thomas-Asante as an available senior striker to call on at his disposal with Albion's Championship campaign kicking off at Blackburn on Saturday. Fellow striker Daryl Dike (Achilles) is sidelined with injury until the end of 2023.

Maja rose to prominence at Sunderland, where he broke through into senior ranks having played junior football at Fulham and Crystal Palace. It was with the Black Cats where 15 goals in 24 League One outings earned Maja a bumper move to France on a lengthy deal for a fee worth up to £3.5million having just turned 20.

He had a mixed time overseas but departed this summer with a goal record of 29 in 93 games, either side of loans with Fulham, where he scored goals in the top flight, and at Stoke – with the latter he managed just one goal in 15 Championship games in 2021/22.

Maja's arrival comes as a timely pre-season boost for Albion, who are working under tight financial restraints due to a lack of investment and parachute payments.

It is believed Corberan is still looking to bolster his forward ranks after Maja joined Brighton loanee Jeremy Sarmiento in Baggies colours, with FC Midtjylland's Sory Kaba, who spent last season with Cardiff, a target."
« Last Edit: August 01, 2023, 10:06:45 AM by MarkW »
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Dan

• WBA Coach

Re: Josh Maja joins Albion
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2023, 10:30:19 AM »
He's a worthwile gamble, a good age still, got goals in him. Didn't work out for him on loan to Stoke the other season but he bounced back with a 16 goal season for Bordeaux last season and his goals per minute through his career is good.

victor mature

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2023, 10:39:14 AM »
I think this is the sort of signing we used to make before pragmatic Pulis came in

j125

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2023, 10:49:27 AM »
Maja's hold-up play is good, and he does bring others into the game but he hasn't exactly torn it up in previous seasons in England. I think at 24, it's a worthwhile risk for free, and let's be honest - we'll take just about any forward at this moment in time. If we're moving away from the ageing player model, and taking a few more educated punts, then I'll take that for sure.

If we can bring him in, and then Sory Kaba or similar, then we could have a solid frontline all of a sudden.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2023, 11:07:30 AM »
On the plus side relatively young but at 24 what you see is what you get. Decent scoring record albeit in Ligue 2 and his most recent season was a good one. If I was being picky I'd rather bring in a player in that closer replicated Dike's skill set. I think he can be effective but it is very much a question playing to his strengthens which is ball to feet. That shouldn't be a problem with Swift and  Sarmiento in the team.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2023, 11:10:19 AM »
22/23 highlight vid.

https://youtu.be/l7PRgyAUdYo

His hold up and link up play look decent based on his highlights from last season.

More penalty goals than you’d like. Gotta be 4/5 of his 16.  Possibly not quite the 9 we really need but not to say that makes it a bad signing.

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2023, 11:15:55 AM »
Cool bit of business from CC
Is this a signing or loan?
Only 24 great age
Somehow weve got the classic young/old team mix, cant wait till Saturday, feeling quite optimistic about the season with our 2 signings so far so good
Could we go with a 433
Maja Yankee Batman?

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2023, 11:18:41 AM »
Cool bit of business from CC
Is this a signing or loan?
Only 24 great age
Somehow weve got the classic young/old team mix, cant wait till Saturday, feeling quite optimistic about the season with our 2 signings so far so good
Could we go with a 433
Maja Yankee Batman?

He's a signing as a free agent.

If by yankee you mean Dike he's still out for 2-3 months from here.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2023, 11:19:24 AM »
A decent signing at this level and probably as good as we can expect all things considered.

Thanks for the heads up Jmullen

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2023, 11:23:33 AM »
22/23 highlight vid.

His hold up and link up play look decent based on his highlights from last season.

More penalty goals than you’d like. Gotta be 4/5 of his 16.  Possibly not quite the 9 we really need but not to say that makes it a bad signing.

Maja is another striker who doesn't score many goals. 156 games so far and just 36 goals for Sunderland, Bordeaux, Fulham & Stoke. Poor signing, and waste of our limited budget. Not sure what we see in him, save for clubs on the blink of financial implosion and relegation to league one seem to keep signing him so maybe it is a tradition....

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2023, 11:34:33 AM »
Maja is another striker who doesn't score many goals. 156 games so far and just 36 goals for Sunderland, Bordeaux, Fulham & Stoke. Poor signing, and waste of our limited budget. Not sure what we see in him, save for clubs on the blink of financial implosion and relegation to league one seem to keep signing him so maybe it is a tradition....

Doomed I tell ye, doomed, we're all doomed !
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

boingboing1989

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2023, 11:37:05 AM »
Link up play looks good in those clips but lot of penalty goals but I've got a good feeling about this signing, we are due one of these signings to work out. Has the attributes maybe a coach like Corberan will get the best out of him.

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2023, 11:41:16 AM »
I know Dike is out but when readg to come back, could that front 3 work?

miggybaggy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2023, 11:41:52 AM »
Seems OK to me. Good first touch, spacial awareness, and quick. All better than Dike!!

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2023, 11:45:18 AM »
I know Dike is out but when readg to come back, could that front 3 work?

I have no idea mate. I guess it depends on how CC wants to set us up etc

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2023, 11:45:56 AM »

He hasn’t scored enough so far I agree, but when I look at the data quickly I get 45 goals for those teams in league matches.

When you equate his 156 games worth of minutes to goals it’s 96 games. Suddenly that record looks a lot better.  A lot of those minutes are league 2, but roughly an equal amount of mins are also for struggling sides in the prem / ligue 1.

If we are paying him fortunes on a long deal then it’s risky. The right wages and contract though I think it’s a balanced risk in our position.

Someone like Akpom had a pretty poor career but then catches fire. Let’s hope Maja can do the same. I think he has some ability.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2023, 12:43:41 PM »
22/23 highlight vid.

Cheers for the link. Must admit I'd thought he was more of a wide forward similar to Grant as opposed to a traditional centre forward, yet in a number of the situations in the video he's in areas where I'd expect Swift to be popping up.

Two things are for certain from that footage though. He's got a good eye for a pass and some of his teammates couldn't hit a cow's backside with a banjo. Should he sign here's hoping his new teammates can do better with some of those types of through balls.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2023, 12:58:18 PM »
Yeah, that video is a bit surprising - he looks to have a real eye for a pass rather than just a finisher.

Aussie Baggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2023, 01:30:04 PM »
Is this the guy who was in the Sunderland Till I Die doco?

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2023, 01:37:25 PM »

Yes it is.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2023, 01:38:46 PM »

Wonder if he's changed his agent since, wasn't spoken of very highly on that programme

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2023, 02:12:51 PM »
Official account have said will be announced in 5 mins, not sure whether that's literally 5 mins or more "give us 5 mins" which is what they replied to a bloke saying "announce Maja"

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2023, 02:15:20 PM »

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2023, 02:17:28 PM »
https://www.wba.co.uk/news/josh-maja-joins-albion

Official.

Albion are delighted to confirm the permanent signing of former Bordeaux striker Josh Maja.

The 24-year-old, who claimed 16 goals and six assists last season, has signed a three-year contract at The Hawthorns following a successful spell in south-west France.

London-born Maja made his professional debut for Sunderland in the Carabao Cup aged just 17, gaining experience in the Sky Bet Championship and League One while with the Black Cats.

An impressive 15 goals from 24 league matches in the first half of the 2018/19 campaign caught the eye of then-Ligue 1 Bordeaux, who he joined a month after his 20th birthday in January 2019.

Loans at Premier League Fulham and Championship Stoke City followed, prior to a return to the starting XI at the Matmut Atlantique.

Albion Head Coach, Carlos Corberán, said: “I am happy to have Josh here at the club. It was an important aim of ours to reinforce this position during the summer. We have done so with a player who has a big desire to succeed.

“Josh has international and Premier League experience and his skills compliment Brandon Thomas-Asante in a way which means they can play together or on their own. He drops deep to build attacks and also has good instincts in the box.

“Josh has been working hard while he has been a free agent this summer but will still need some time with our staff to make sure he is ready to face the challenge of games. We will work with him to manage this process.”

Head of Football Operations, Ian Pearce, added: “The club has been tracking Josh for some time and we are really pleased he is joining us.

“We have again had to be patient, but Josh is the striker we wanted, and his desire to play for Carlos helped us beat off significant competition from a number of other clubs.”

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2023, 02:27:27 PM »
Josh is the striker we wanted seems to pour cold water on the twitter suggestion we are after another before the end of the week.