Author Topic: Alex Palmer  (Read 102513 times)

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

Re: Alex Palmer
« Reply #950 on: March 13, 2024, 09:35:18 PM »
Hahaha, thanks for explaining. I thought I was just out of touch with modern terminology  ;D

I had it the other day when i referring to myself as a C H U M P and it changed it to "Championship"
Whenever things look bad, remember the Port Vale, Grimsby and Walsall days... not so bad now, eh?!

Formally Solo_Baggie, now one ID for all Baggie internet input

Albertbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #951 on: March 16, 2024, 06:55:46 PM »
Well done Alex - another clean sheet. Good work.

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #952 on: March 16, 2024, 07:31:50 PM »
Brilliant save in the first half to prevent them taking the lead.

He really is a big asset for us, just big shame he tool so long making him number 1.

JMullen95

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #953 on: March 16, 2024, 11:25:47 PM »
I can't criticise him today, played well and deserved his clean sheet.

According to twitter, there was an altercation between Palmer and a fan in the East Stand at the end of the game, which seems bizarre considering we won 2-0.

Just before people start speculating, I can confirm it was not me who was arguing with Palmer.  ;D ;D

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #954 on: March 16, 2024, 11:30:58 PM »
I can't criticise him today, played well and deserved his clean sheet.

According to twitter, there was an altercation between Palmer and a fan in the East Stand at the end of the game, which seems bizarre considering we won 2-0.

Just before people start speculating, I can confirm it was not me who was arguing with Palmer.  ;D ;D

I saw it and have commented about it on the Furlong thread.

Imo it was to do with Furlong than Palmer, but Palmer did come over to tell the same person Furlong was arguing with, to tell him to f off.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #955 on: March 17, 2024, 08:28:45 AM »
From the replays it looked like one of those headers that bounced off the top of the bar flicked off his shoulder as he missed his punch, so in a way it was a great save...

graka

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #956 on: March 18, 2024, 05:06:30 PM »
Played well Saturday looked solid apart from one corner but if he was perfect he wouldn’t be playing for us
Hopefully those few games where he looked nervous are behind him
I’m still far from convinced in the long term but credit where it’s due for the weekend

TheBaggieMan

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #957 on: March 29, 2024, 06:14:45 AM »
With Sam Johnstone getting a serious injury requiring surgery on his elbow and Jordan Pickford dropping clangers, I wonder if Gareth Southgate has run his eye over our Alex as a future England international.
West Brom 2023/24
Has Sticky the Stick Insect finally got unstuck from that sticky bun?
Great stuff under Corberan - keep it up Baggies!

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #958 on: March 29, 2024, 06:35:02 AM »
I doubt it at the minute. He is loyal to Pickford, but he also has Ramsdale, Pope (due back soon), Trafford and Henderson, with Butland back on form at Rangers.

It would take quite a few injuries for Palmer to get into contention, for this season at least.
Boing Boing

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #959 on: March 29, 2024, 06:47:04 AM »
Agreed. Don't see Palmer anywhere near England selection currently

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #960 on: March 29, 2024, 04:53:54 PM »
Let's be honest, Palmer isn't England quality. Anybody suggesting he might be is overreaching.

JMullen95

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #961 on: April 30, 2024, 09:14:17 AM »
Fair amount of tweets saying they’d look to sell in the summer, which I completely agree with.

Over the course of the season, he has made a lot of bad mistakes.

Massively overrated by our fan base and the post a few pages back suggesting he may be in with a shout of making the England squad for Euro 2024 will go down as one of the most stupid of all time.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #962 on: April 30, 2024, 10:24:02 AM »
Have to be honest. I thought his handling for a couple of their goals on Saturday, one in particular, was pretty shocking in fairness. He's 27 now so not a youngster and he's got enough games under his belt to have done better. I'd like to think he'd agree.

Goalkeepers don't always improve with age and experience but the tools are there and better years should be ahead. He does have potential but thoughts of a future England call up would be fanciful at best currently. He's about par for a Championship goalkeeper.

Not as good as Sam Johnstone was overall but miles better than the well intentioned hologram he replaced. Capable of sublime reaction saves, poor handling on occasions and inconsistent kicking on others. There are better keepers out there, there are also worse.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Albionfan1983

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #963 on: April 30, 2024, 10:25:16 AM »
Palmer has been fine. Mistakes do happen.

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #964 on: April 30, 2024, 10:32:47 AM »
The squad needs an overhaul next season far more serious issues to deal with than the goalkeeper.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #965 on: April 30, 2024, 11:00:08 AM »
He has made a number of mistakes this season, and a number of goals have gone past him that he should have done far more with. By the same token, he has also pulled off a fair few blinders. He is fine for where we are at the minute and the goalkeeping position is not one I am overly concerned about, but if a big offer came in for him, I would have no issues with him leaving and us putting the faith in Griffiths if we remain at this level

baggieboy79

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #966 on: April 30, 2024, 11:38:34 AM »
As it currently stands and after seeing them both in goal for periods over the past 12 months, Palmer is the better keeper out of the two,  and in the absence of an abundance of transfer funds the goalkeeper would be the last position I would be looking to change in the summer.  Palmer is absolutely good enough for a top 6 Championship side.  We need to be looking at the other end of the pitch and bring in a proper striker, and also utilise the loan market properly.

JMullen95

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #967 on: April 30, 2024, 12:49:49 PM »
As it currently stands and after seeing them both in goal for periods over the past 12 months, Palmer is the better keeper out of the two,  and in the absence of an abundance of transfer funds the goalkeeper would be the last position I would be looking to change in the summer.  Palmer is absolutely good enough for a top 6 Championship side.  We need to be looking at the other end of the pitch and bring in a proper striker, and also utilise the loan market properly.

I agree that Griffiths made mistakes in all of the few games he played this season but seeing as he’d hardly played I don’t see how people can say Palmer is better for definite.

Also, to be thrown in to a Black Country Derby having hardly played all season was down right stupid from Corberan.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #968 on: April 30, 2024, 02:14:54 PM »
Never makes mistakes,that’s why he’s at Bayern Munich 😂
He’s been absolutely fine over the course of the season …made errors and produced outstanding saves …

Not on the priority list to replace
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

baggieboy79

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #969 on: April 30, 2024, 02:22:39 PM »
I agree that I was a bit disappointed when I saw that Griffiths was in goal for the Black Country Derby, but I'm sure that Griffiths as the 2nd choice keeper was promised the cup matches before the season started.  If you look at the stats; Meslier at Leeds has kept 18 clean sheets and has a 68.4 save percentage, and Palmer has 17 clean sheets with a 70.1 save percentage, so that's exactly why I and most Albion fans are more than happy with Palmer in goal.  I have watched every Albion match this season and there's nothing to me that suggests that Griffiths should be ahead of Palmer, and it seems Mr Corberan also agrees.

robnewbold

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #970 on: April 30, 2024, 02:39:31 PM »
Last thing we need is a new goalkeeper to be honest.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #971 on: April 30, 2024, 06:14:30 PM »
I agree that I was a bit disappointed when I saw that Griffiths was in goal for the Black Country Derby, but I'm sure that Griffiths as the 2nd choice keeper was promised the cup matches before the season started.  If you look at the stats; Meslier at Leeds has kept 18 clean sheets and has a 68.4 save percentage, and Palmer has 17 clean sheets with a 70.1 save percentage, so that's exactly why I and most Albion fans are more than happy with Palmer in goal.  I have watched every Albion match this season and there's nothing to me that suggests that Griffiths should be ahead of Palmer, and it seems Mr Corberan also agrees.

Couldn’t have put it better myself. Far more pressing concerns than the GK department. I think the biggest question is what we do with Griffiths? Send him out on loan in the Championship? That way it goes any of these ways; he proves he’s good enough for us/he adds value back onto himself for us to sell/we learn he isn’t good enough.

Either way, if we keep Palmer and there are no decent permanent offers for Griffiths - send him on loan in the Champo if there’s a taker. Recall option in Jan and backfill with experience for August - December.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

graka

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #972 on: May 01, 2024, 05:07:41 AM »
I’m not his biggest fan but he is a capable goalkeeper at championship level just.
If any offer came in I would sell but if he stays I’m fine with it at our current level.
I do think Griffiths given the same opportunities will be better long term
We have many pressing issues to address in the summer before I’d look at the goalkeeping department

TheBaggieMan

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #973 on: May 02, 2024, 07:36:51 AM »

Totally agree Baggie Boy.
I shall never forgive Griffiths for his pathetic performance in the cup ‘Black Country Derby’  Best place for him is taking a bus to New Street Station and buy him a one-way ticket to nowhere. Alex Palmer is streets ahead of Griffiths who is about as good as Buttonfingers

West Brom 2023/24
Has Sticky the Stick Insect finally got unstuck from that sticky bun?
Great stuff under Corberan - keep it up Baggies!

JMullen95

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #974 on: May 02, 2024, 08:11:51 AM »
Totally agree Baggie Boy.
I shall never forgive Griffiths for his pathetic performance in the cup ‘Black Country Derby’  Best place for him is taking a bus to New Street Station and buy him a one-way ticket to nowhere. Alex Palmer is streets ahead of Griffiths who is about as good as Buttonfingers

Do you still think Southgate may include Palmer in the England squad for the Euros?