West Brom Dot Com

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
West Bromwich Albion FC / Re: Tony Pulis
« Last post by ex coseley kid on Today at 10:56:33 AM »
The club earn 100 million a year just from TV. That should pay for good football players who can entertain. In Spain you can't compete with Barca and Real but other teams still do well for themselves and entertain and without a £100m TV cheque.

We last won a major trophy 50 years ago. It's possible (Wigan, Leicester and Birmingham have won one of the major three trophies in England recently) but it's not easy and you have to take the chances like in 2008 when if we'd beat Portsmouth we'd have had Cardiff in an FA Cup final. You might get into Europe the odd time (we ended up miles behind an average Everton team and missed out because Pulis declared at 40 points.

Pulis is a joyless manager who sucks the enjoyment out of football.  He's good for a newly promoted team who want to establish themselves in the top flight.

Precisely this. The club spoke of ambition at the start of the season. Where's the ambition in a Pulis led side? We are thoroughly disappointing to watch.
All of this is true.

But we're still cocks of the Midlands, at least for another year.
The really sad thing about this thread is that is it could be posted on any fans forum other than the newly promoted clubs and the top 6 and be just as relevant. The fact that we are deliberately dull and just dreadful to watch just brings our plight in to sharper focus. 

In the overall narrative of the Premier League outside the top 6 who are jostling for silverware and the coveted top 4 positions in the league everything is a bit bland. There are always a few plucky underdog stories (promoted clubs that aren't being hammered every week)  surprise packages (this season Watford and Burnley who used to be plucky underdogs might still be so they are doubly noteworthy) and crisis clubs (West Ham are interesting for all the wrong reasons) that garner attention but otherwise the truth is pretty boring and that is reflected in the media.

This weekend's fixture at Southampton is typical. If either of us lose then there is a hint of a crisis but in truth neither team will probably go down but neither will be pushing the top 6. Both could make a decent stab at a cup run but probably won't. It won't be a great spectacle unless one team or another has a particularly good or bad day. The fact that fans still switch on the TV to watch is the puzzle to me.   
West Bromwich Albion FC / Re: Would we beat the Dingles?
« Last post by Standaman on Today at 09:56:18 AM »
Lucky enough to have been there and when they beat Real Madrid.   May have been the Wolves but they were still great nights.     

Would go back to those football days like a shot.    Albion and Wolves competing to be the best team in the country.   I don't suppose we will ever see that again and sorry Standaman your father was right; the Albion 53/54 side was all he told you it was.

Slightly off topic. No need to apologise I now realise how good they were and how far ahead that Buckingham was tactically to the rest of English football at the time. Growing up it was always irritating that my Dad viewed every team against the near impossible benchmark of that 53/54 side Allen was better than Astle etc.

My Dad's somewhat idiosyncratic view of all things Albion is revealing managers he adored Ronnie Allen (predictably), Johnny Giles, Ossie Ardilies and Tony Mowbray. Those he reviled Ron Saunders, Don Howe (never did he feel more let down by a manager) Ron Atkinson (a charlatan that took over Ronnie Allen's team)Bobby Gould and Roy Hodgson who he thought was dull as ditch water.

Like I say idiosyncratic and while he has passed away some years ago I don't think there is any doubt what he would have thought of the current set up.
Like it or not, when I speak to non Albion fans they think we're punching above our weight for a little club. They're often surprised by our past, our trophies, and of course I love to bore them if I can.

The point is we do make up the numbers, it's a fact. The subjective thing is whilst we're making up the numbers do our fans and others enjoy us being there, I'd say not much at the moment. Compare us to a newly promoted team - "they're gutsy etc...) we've lost that tag and seem a bit pointless except to us baggies who understand our rich history.

In my lifetime, I loved the Ardiles and Mowbray years the most because we were talked about in the street by other fans for our football and we achieved a bit to boot with our relative resources. Also for 6 months under Clarke and a bit under Roy, other teams talked about us more - the link - goals, attacking play, spirit and a clear identify away from the rest of the sheep!

This will happen again but at the moment we've fallen into the pack for a while
                                                         we've got Pulis
« Last post by Raymond John on Today at 09:25:21 AM »
My god has the game changed or what !

Lucky enough to have been there and when they beat Real Madrid.   May have been the Wolves but they were still great nights.     

Would go back to those football days like a shot.    Albion and Wolves competing to be the best team in the country.   I don't suppose we will ever see that again and sorry Standaman your father was right; the Albion 53/54 side was all he told you it was.
West Bromwich Albion FC / Re: Tony Pulis
« Last post by jefferson on Today at 08:30:54 AM »
^ THIS ^
To be honest the question I keep coming back to is "What is the point?"

If we accept that we have limitations as to as far as we can go league wise then surely the whole point of supporting a team is the enjoyment from watching the game. If you accept we can't/probably won't win anything then to me the only possible reason to continue following football is if you enjoy watching what is on offer.
Put another way, what is the point of being in the premier league? To me it is to see my club fielding the best possible players as opposed to watching some donkey;s scrap around in the championship - therefore by that reasoning i see no point in being in the premier league if these so called better players are being asked/told to scrap around like championship donkeys. I couldn't care less about Man City/Chelsea etc - I want us to be in the premier league as this is the best way to see good players play for my club. Sadly, under Pulis, I am not witnessing this.
If you are a Pulis supporter can I ask you the same question - What is the point?

The club earn 100 million a year just from TV. That should pay for good football players who can entertain. In Spain you can't compete with Barca and Real but other teams still do well for themselves and entertain and without a £100m TV cheque.

We last won a major trophy 50 years ago. It's possible (Wigan, Leicester and Birmingham have won one of the major three trophies in England recently) but it's not easy and you have to take the chances like in 2008 when if we'd beat Portsmouth we'd have had Cardiff in an FA Cup final. You might get into Europe the odd time (we ended up miles behind an average Everton team and missed out because Pulis declared at 40 points.

Pulis is a joyless manager who sucks the enjoyment out of football.  He's good for a newly promoted team who want to establish themselves in the top flight.
« Last post by wobbs68 on Today at 08:14:59 AM »
Simple answer to the question is.......yes.  If we played our so called best  11 against them we would beat them 9 times out of 10. 
West Bromwich Albion FC / Re: Best Albion XI
« Last post by wobbs68 on Today at 08:11:06 AM »
Martyn Bennett - one of the most underrated players at this club over the past 40 years.  If it hadn't been for reoccurring injury and living in the not so fashionable Midlands he would have been an England regular.  Top bloke and a local lad as well.  He was technically better than Ally Robertson and John Wile who I grew up with and were an awesome partnership.
West Bromwich Albion FC / Re: Worst Albion XI
« Last post by AlbertaBaggie on Today at 04:59:31 AM »
Crichton had tons of loans before us and we paid for him
RB McDermott 400000 when that was a lot for us
CB Barnett 3m wasted
CB Donk
LB Potter
MD Groves
MD Phelan
MD Darby
FW Moore
FW DeFreitas