Author Topic: OFFICIAL PREMIER LEAGUE THREAD  (Read 2380320 times)

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

Re: OFFICIAL PREMIER LEAGUE THREAD
« Reply #7475 on: April 23, 2018, 08:17:58 AM »
Mo Salah, PFA players player of the year. What an absolute superstar. 31 PL goals 9 assists and he's not a striker. KDB a worthy runner up. Kane definitely questionable in 3rd...

Sané takes the young player award.

Fully agree Jacko, and he can even play on a dry pitch which is a real bonus.

Interesting that both Salah and KDB were Mourinho rejects......tells you all you need to know about his abilities doesn't it.
MAGA!

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #7476 on: April 23, 2018, 12:47:10 PM »
player of the year should have gone to de bruyne
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7477 on: April 23, 2018, 01:23:55 PM »
player of the year should have gone to de bruyne

Agree completely. He has been outstanding this season, and has run that City team. He's the best player in the Premiership by miles.

Salah has scored a lot of goals, but 4 came against Watford, and most of them against lower teams. Liverpool have been nowhere near winning the league, and could finish the season without a trophy.

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #7478 on: April 23, 2018, 01:30:25 PM »
Agree completely. He has been outstanding this season, and has run that City team. He's the best player in the Premiership by miles.

Salah has scored a lot of goals, but 4 came against Watford, and most of them against lower teams. Liverpool have been nowhere near winning the league, and could finish the season without a trophy.

I think Salah deserves it.  When was the last time a Liverpool player scored 31 goals in a season, Robbie Fowler or Ian Rush?

De Bruyne is playing in a superior team.  I always say it's easier to play in a brilliant team because of the quality around you.  De Bruyne is a great player but it is debateable if David Silva has been better anyway?

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #7479 on: April 23, 2018, 01:54:54 PM »
His fellow professionals voted for him and there can be no greater accolade than that
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #7480 on: April 23, 2018, 02:12:36 PM »
I think Salah deserves it.  When was the last time a Liverpool player scored 31 goals in a season, Robbie Fowler or Ian Rush?

De Bruyne is playing in a superior team.  I always say it's easier to play in a brilliant team because of the quality around you.  De Bruyne is a great player but it is debateable if David Silva has been better anyway?

Luis Suarez 2013/2014.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #7481 on: April 23, 2018, 02:17:25 PM »
Salah deserves the award he's been magnificent.

I can't help thinking he'll find it more difficult next season though, he's had one of those seasons where he can't do wrong everything single thing has come off for him.

I'd bet good money he won't equal this seasons tally next season he'll probably fall short by a  good ten goals.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7482 on: April 23, 2018, 02:22:22 PM »
Salah deserves the award he's been magnificent.

I can't help thinking he'll find it more difficult next season though, he's had one of those seasons where he can't do wrong everything single thing has come off for him.

I'd bet good money he won't equal this seasons tally next season he'll probably fall short by a  good ten goals.

I'd bet good money he won't be there next season........

You don't score 30+ goals in the Premier league and go unnoticed by our Spanish brethren....
MAGA!

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #7483 on: April 23, 2018, 02:25:28 PM »
I'd bet good money he won't be there next season........

You don't score 30+ goals in the Premier league and go unnoticed by our Spanish brethren....

Maybe.

Messi, Suarez and Salah really takes Barce to another level it would make them untouchable.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7484 on: April 23, 2018, 03:03:48 PM »

Correct me if I’m wrong but I’m sure he’s also scored against every ‘top 6’ team this season.

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7485 on: April 23, 2018, 03:06:46 PM »
Correct me if I’m wrong but I’m sure he’s also scored against every ‘top 6’ team this season.
not Man Utd, pretty much everyone else but not Utd.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #7486 on: April 23, 2018, 11:25:37 PM »

Maybe.

Messi, Suarez and Salah really takes Barce to another level it would make them untouchable.
Hopefully at some point next season it would be the scousers up against salah/Suarez/coutinho 😂
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7487 on: April 24, 2018, 09:59:32 AM »
not Man Utd, pretty much everyone else but not Utd.

No, that'd be Rodriguez!  ;)
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7488 on: April 24, 2018, 10:13:10 AM »
Never seen Liverpool as a feeder club before, but Salah would fit in very nicely at Barcelona, I can see VVD there as well.....LOL
MAGA!

Scooby Doo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #7489 on: April 24, 2018, 10:33:20 AM »
Disagree with giving it to Salah just because he's scored 30 plus goals for Liverpool. Kevin Phillips scored 30 goals in one top flight season, won the European Golden Boot and that was it.

Kevin De Bruyne has been the most influential player in the league this season. De Bruyne is a joy to watch and has proved this season that he is comfortably the best player in the league and deserves to be on a Xavi, Iniesta pedestal.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #7490 on: April 24, 2018, 11:33:20 AM »
Its a little harsh to claim 'just because' he scored 31 goals. It is the joint record in a 38 game season and he is likely to hold the record out on his own by the end of the season.

That said, I do think KDB is the best in the league. I don't think the penultimate pass statistic is recorded but it seems almost weekly he has split the defense and then Stirling, Sane et al have had a simple pass to the goal scorer. Could go on to be regarded as the best midfielder the league has ever seen.

One things for certain, when Salah and De Bruyne can't make it at Chelsea, what chance does an Izzy Brown have.

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #7491 on: April 24, 2018, 12:36:30 PM »
Fully agree Jacko, and he can even play on a dry pitch which is a real bonus.

Interesting that both Salah and KDB were Mourinho rejects......tells you all you need to know about his abilities doesn't it.

Cant work out if this is a joke or not??

Have you seen his honours? His abilities should be based on what he's won, not on releasing players that at the time were not at the level they are now. KDB and Salah couldnt get into the side and went off to inferior leagues to hone their skills.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing when players become then players they are today, but they werent at the time
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

Scooby Doo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #7492 on: April 24, 2018, 01:16:10 PM »
Its a little harsh to claim 'just because' he scored 31 goals. It is the joint record in a 38 game season and he is likely to hold the record out on his own by the end of the season.

That said, I do think KDB is the best in the league. I don't think the penultimate pass statistic is recorded but it seems almost weekly he has split the defense and then Stirling, Sane et al have had a simple pass to the goal scorer. Could go on to be regarded as the best midfielder the league has ever seen.

One things for certain, when Salah and De Bruyne can't make it at Chelsea, what chance does an Izzy Brown have.

My reference was to an earlier post saying he deserves it based on how many goals he has scored for Liverpool. Think it's a poor argument for justifying his win in my opinion. Don't think any player deserves it on goals alone.

As you say KDB has just been a wonder to watch.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7493 on: April 24, 2018, 01:18:15 PM »
Cant work out if this is a joke or not??

Have you seen his honours? His abilities should be based on what he's won, not on releasing players that at the time were not at the level they are now. KDB and Salah couldnt get into the side and went off to inferior leagues to hone their skills.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing when players become then players they are today, but they werent at the time

Not a joke Tom, he has a raft full of honours, we all know that. However, to me he is the typical instant success manager and is bad for the game. Look at who he has bought at Man U, all big names and he didn't even get close to City in the end [don't get me wrong, they are as guilty]. When it becomes obvious all he does is moan about his bad fortune and what other teams are spending. What was that rant all about a couple of weeks ago? 12 minutes of 'woe is me'......

You didn't need much hindsight to work out how good Lukaku was but he still got rid of him, and then bought him back, albeit to a different club.

Personally I do not think that Mourinho is too interested in nurturing talent and investing in future players. He seems to take the Fantasy Football manager approach of just buying a big name to fill a hole. You mention that hindsight is a wonderful thing, and indeed it is given our dire season, but Salah was only at Chelsea two years ago and he got 13 games before being shipped out on loan. KDB only got 3 appearances before being shipped out of Chelsea for a healthy profit.

So not a joke Tom at all. I liked Mourinho when he first arrived on the scene. He was different and successful, but speak to any Man U fan now and see the love they have for him. He will always be successful because of what he has won but he is pretty ruthless and can only be as good as he is with limitless money. I would like to see him manage Barnsley [for example] with their limited funds and players, lets see how good he is then. However, we all know that will never happen and Jose will continue to be employed by the very big clubs in their continual quest to make even more money. He is everything I do not like about the Premier League at the moment...... and Klopp  ;)   
MAGA!

Scooby Doo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #7494 on: April 24, 2018, 01:30:52 PM »
He will always be successful because of what he has won but he is pretty ruthless and can only be as good as he is with limitless money. I would like to see him manage Barnsley [for example] with their limited funds and players, lets see how good he is then. However, we all know that will never happen and Jose will continue to be employed by the very big clubs in their continual quest to make even more money. He is everything I do not like about the Premier League at the moment...... and Klopp  ;)   

UEFA Cup with Porto 2003. Champions League with Porto 2004. The latter being an absolutely phenomenal achievement.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7495 on: April 24, 2018, 01:47:53 PM »
UEFA Cup with Porto 2003. Champions League with Porto 2004. The latter being an absolutely phenomenal achievement.

I fully agree with you Scooby....
MAGA!

Scooby Doo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #7496 on: April 24, 2018, 01:59:56 PM »
I fully agree with you Scooby....

So you're agreeing that what he did with Porto, getting the absolute most out of his players and winning trophies that nobody expected him and his side do, with funds that would be comparable to Barnsley in the scale of the CL and likewise players?

So he has really already achieved what you're asking? Porto being the Barnsley equivalent of the CL and him going on to win it.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7497 on: April 24, 2018, 02:13:28 PM »
So you're agreeing that what he did with Porto, getting the absolute most out of his players and winning trophies that nobody expected him and his side do, with funds that would be comparable to Barnsley in the scale of the CL and likewise players?

So he has really already achieved what you're asking? Porto being the Barnsley equivalent of the CL and him going on to win it.
You are right, but I don't think he could replicate it now. When at Porto and his first stints here he was young, hungry, vibrant and, at times, funny.
Now he is old, tired, bitter, continually whinges about his lot and references his past glories as if he should be exalted. No humility or class or respect for today's Porto's when they beat him.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7498 on: April 24, 2018, 02:34:58 PM »

Porto were/are hardly the equivalent of Barnsley Scooby. Have you seen who was in that side when they won the CL? Roberto Carvalho, Deco and Carlos Alberto to name a few. You don't see them down at Oakdale on a weekly basis do you? Mourinho didn't get the promoted from the Portugese equivalent of the 1st division on a shoestring did he? I am not sure how you know that their financial position in 2004 but I would suggest that any side fielding the quality of players they put out were relatively affluent.

Don't get me wrong, hew did well, very well and that's what made his name.   
MAGA!

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7499 on: April 24, 2018, 02:44:59 PM »
You are right, but I don't think he could replicate it now. When at Porto and his first stints here he was young, hungry, vibrant and, at times, funny.
Now he is old, tired, bitter, continually whinges about his lot and references his past glories as if he should be exalted. No humility or class or respect for today's Porto's when they beat him.

That's what I am trying to get over Seteefeet, so thanks for that!
MAGA!