Author Topic: OFFICIAL PREMIER LEAGUE THREAD  (Read 2380324 times)

KYA

• WBA Coach

Re: OFFICIAL PREMIER LEAGUE THREAD
« Reply #5375 on: May 02, 2016, 10:54:49 PM »
Fair play to Leicester but  that's as far as it goes .

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #5376 on: May 02, 2016, 10:55:30 PM »
This is nothing to do with WBA, it's about Leicester, even Gary Lineker questioned the appointment of Ranieri, so I can't see how he could be called progressive. Blinkered or not, Leicester have been extreamly lucky with injuries this season, & in my opinion have had more than their fair share of refereeing decisions go for them.

So why will this haunt the clubs outside the top 6????

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

« Reply #5377 on: May 02, 2016, 10:56:08 PM »
I think the general school of thought is that if we want to change the rules to make the Premier League a more level playing field, people will point to Leicester winning the league and say "Well they did it, why can't you?". I don't begrudge them winning the league but I do agree there is a possibility that people will start to think that this is 'easy' or can be repeated by other teams, when in reality, I think next season is going to be more about the big boys. We've got Conte, Guardiola, Klopp, LVG (or Mourinho) all managing in the Premier League and all being told that they need to be winning the league or at least being up there.

This will make the Chelsea's, Mannchester clubs Arsenal spend even more money durin the summer. Fair play to Leicester an average team on paper have done the impossible.
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

maccbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #5378 on: May 02, 2016, 10:57:42 PM »
This is nothing to do with WBA, it's about Leicester, even Gary Lineker questioned the appointment of Ranieri, so I can't see how he could be called progressive. Blinkered or not, Leicester have been extreamly lucky with injuries this season, & in my opinion have had more than their fair share of refereeing decisions go for them.
Over the course of 38 games, injuries and refereeing decisions aren't enough to win a Premier League title. I'm thinking you might be on the wind-up.

With regards to Ranieri, I don't even know what to say.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #5379 on: May 02, 2016, 10:59:43 PM »
Nothing like this will ever happen again. They've just shown a stat on Sky Sports, Leicester have only have to make 27 changes to their team ALL season. The average is 95 changes. In March they were top of the favourable referees decision table. It is also a very low points total to win the title, the other teams have been very poor.

Leicester will not finish in the top half next season imo, they will get hammered in the CL also.

As Mark says, there is now no chance of levelling the playing field. It will also be used as an excuse by chairmen like JP, for not splashing the cash.

On top of this Leicester's fans are absolute to$$ers, I see no upside whatsoever to tonight's outcome.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5380 on: May 02, 2016, 11:00:11 PM »

Stay off the grapes mate! There a bit sour for you!

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #5381 on: May 02, 2016, 11:00:39 PM »
I think the general school of thought is that if we want to change the rules to make the Premier League a more level playing field, people will point to Leicester winning the league and say "Well they did it, why can't you?". I don't begrudge them winning the league but I do agree there is a possibility that people will start to think that this is 'easy' or can be repeated by other teams, when in reality, I think next season is going to be more about the big boys. We've got Conte, Guardiola, Klopp, LVG (or Mourinho) all managing in the Premier League and all being told that they need to be winning the league or at least being up there.

Fair enough. If that's why, then I get that, but if Leicester have made everyone think again and up their game it can only be a good thing in my view.

I see it as being something that has broken the myth (even though its probably not a myth :D) that money and big names win leagues. Its a huge encouragement for the other clubs to try and take the initiative, and of course, owners, FDs, managers, scouts etc, are there to make sure that the clubs do the best within their means. But its an amazing story and I think all clubs should take some encouragement from this amazing achievement.

east-stand-nick

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5382 on: May 02, 2016, 11:01:29 PM »
Nothing like this will ever happen again. They've just shown a stat on Sky Sports, Leicester have only have to make 27 changes to their team ALL season. The average is 95 changes. In March they were top of the favourable referees decision table. It is also a very low points total to win the title, the other teams have been very poor.

Leicester will not finish in the top half next season imo, they will get hammered in the CL also.

As Mark says, there is now no chance of levelling the playing field. It will also be used as an excuse by chairmen like JP, for not splashing the cash.

On top of this Leicester's fans are absolute to$$ers, I see no upside whatsoever to tonight's outcome.

You must be a right laugh at parties!

boing_boing68

• WBA Coach

« Reply #5383 on: May 02, 2016, 11:03:15 PM »
Sounds like a lot of sour grapes from some fans on here, how anyone can think Leicester winning the league is not great for a stale boring league is beyond me. Well done Leicester city, they deserve it because they were the best team this season
Baggie Terra

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #5384 on: May 02, 2016, 11:04:51 PM »

Thinking about it, you're right, all Leicester had to do was turn up and they win the league. Sorry but come on, its a hell of an achievement. 

A few predictions in there but I doubt you predicted that Leicester would win the league this year.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5385 on: May 02, 2016, 11:06:23 PM »

Exactly Mark, & that's why it will haunt all but the top clubs.

I'm not saying they didn't work hard & the team ethic was fantastic, but Leicester also had a huge amount of luck this season.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

kie the baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #5386 on: May 02, 2016, 11:07:54 PM »
Fantastic for Leicester. Proper fairytale stuff. We may not see something as outrageously out of the blue in our lifetime again!
We will West Bromwich Albion Premier league winners 2016/17, FA cup Winners 2016/17, League cup Winners 2016/17
What are the odds???

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #5387 on: May 02, 2016, 11:09:22 PM »
Mark Selby from Leicester won the World Championship Snooker title..Must be Leicester's day.

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #5388 on: May 02, 2016, 11:10:09 PM »

the only stat that matter is Leicester have more points than anyone else, its not their fault other teams have been poor because if we go down that road we've been lucky that some bigger clubs than us  have been poor all season.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #5389 on: May 02, 2016, 11:10:27 PM »
Thinking about it, you're right, all Leicester had to do was turn up and they win the league. Sorry but come on, its a hell of an achievement. 

A few predictions in there but I doubt you predicted that Leicester would win the league this year.

I agree it's an achievement, the circumstances of it are of miracle proportions, I just don't think it's as wonderful as you do. I also don't think it's good for football. It will lead to more managerial casualties: urine poor teams fans demanding their club "do a Leicester", a horrible phrase that I already wish I could trademark. There is no upside for Albion that this has happened.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #5390 on: May 02, 2016, 11:12:27 PM »
I agree it's an achievement, the circumstances of it are of miracle proportions, I just don't think it's as wonderful as you do. I also don't think it's good for football. It will lead to more managerial casualties: urine poor teams fans demanding their club "do a Leicester", a horrible phrase that I already wish I could trademark. There is no upside for Albion that this has happened.

Now that, I agree with. It will be annoying very quickly.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #5391 on: May 02, 2016, 11:17:58 PM »
Are you sure it's "smart tactics & positive play" or is it more that players who were off form last year, all happened to come on form together this year? how many injuries did they have & how many refereeing decisions went their way?

Jacko said on a previous post, "all their stars were aligned".
You can't fluke your way through an entire season to achieve what they have.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #5392 on: May 02, 2016, 11:21:54 PM »
Sounds like a lot of sour grapes from some fans on here, how anyone can think Leicester winning the league is not great for a stale boring league is beyond me.
It's possibly because they're worried it will make Pulis seem even more limited than many already realise that he is.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5393 on: May 02, 2016, 11:22:22 PM »
Over the course of 38 games, injuries and refereeing decisions aren't enough to win a Premier League title. I'm thinking you might be on the wind-up.

With regards to Ranieri, I don't even know what to say.

Of course they are, key decisions in games can have a massive impact on the result.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #5394 on: May 02, 2016, 11:30:44 PM »
Of course they are, key decisions in games can have a massive impact on the result.
Why would referees be biased in favour of Leicester? The biggest clubs have always had the "rub of the green" when it comes to decisions since the Greed League was formed and will continue to do so.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5395 on: May 02, 2016, 11:52:20 PM »
Why would referees be biased in favour of Leicester? The biggest clubs have always had the "rub of the green" when it comes to decisions since the Greed League was formed and will continue to do so.

It's been confirmed by Sky Sports

Sky Sports, Leicester have only have to make 27 changes to their team ALL season. The average is 95 changes. In March they were top of the favourable referees decision table.

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #5396 on: May 02, 2016, 11:57:13 PM »
I for one am extremely happy for Leicester. They deserve to win as they've been top since January and haven't tried to buy the title like most of the teams around them.

I think it says a great deal about Leicester if even we've spent more than them and haven't achieved anywhere near their level of determination, skill and work rate.

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #5397 on: May 03, 2016, 12:05:37 AM »
Bloody delighted for Leicester!

Congratulations to them and i hope they enjoy all the celebrations!

Chances are its a one off, so what, this seasons memories will stay with them for life and nights like tonight are surely why you support a football team!

I dont think anybody is really expecting to 'do a leicester' next season, probably not even Leicester themselves but their is no harm in dreaming and having aspirations, whats the old saying 'aim for the moon and you may hit a star'

I felt a happier emotion about the feel good factor Leicester upsetting the odds and winning the greed league tonight than i have done at any point about the Albion this season.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 12:09:24 AM by Albion79 »

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #5398 on: May 03, 2016, 12:28:16 AM »
A truly remarkable achievement by Leicester City and yes all the stars had to align for it to happen but happen it did and everyone needs to be grateful that it did because it has breathed new life into a competition that has been looking increasingly stale in recent years.

There is a very real possibility that Leicester regress next year but for the time being armed with Champions League football and the money that brings they won't be joining us in a desperate pursuit of 40 points. I know there is a concentration of super star coaches and a raft of new money coming into the league but it won't be easy for them and if Leicester can do it nobody has an excuse any more for simply waving the white flag and not going for it.

Well done Leicester I'll salute the new wave and hope nobody escapes.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

east-stand-nick

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5399 on: May 03, 2016, 02:19:08 AM »
I felt a happier emotion about the feel good factor Leicester upsetting the odds and winning the greed league tonight than i have done at any point about the Albion this season.

You're not alone there. I think I celebrated that Chelsea goal more than most of our goals this season. Leicester have proved that teams like us don't simply have to exist in the Premier League, scraping our way to 40 points each year.