Author Topic: OFFICIAL PREMIER LEAGUE THREAD  (Read 2394519 times)

eddiethebeagle and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

Re: OFFICIAL PREMIER LEAGUE THREAD
« Reply #10550 on: October 06, 2020, 12:17:36 PM »
Burnley in takeover talks. Will be very interesting to see the price if it gets that far.
The list of teams we can compete with seems to get shorter by the day as it is, let's hope they are taken over by someone who has, no interest in football, puts no money in. whilst apparently taking none out, and only shops in the bargain bucket. Can't see it though, who would be that stupid?  ::)

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #10551 on: October 06, 2020, 04:52:58 PM »
Open Letter to fans from the Premier League

Source: https://www.premierleague.com/news/1857558?sf238536187=1
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #10552 on: October 07, 2020, 04:14:45 PM »
Joseph Masi Twitter Account

Stuart Armstrong has tested positive for COVID-19. The midfielder played 90 minutes against Albion on Sunday. Looking into whether this affects Bilic's men moving forward

It never rains, but it pours!
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

dangerman

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #10553 on: October 07, 2020, 04:21:22 PM »

Stuart Armstrong has tested positive for COVID-19. The midfielder played 90 minutes against Albion on Sunday. Looking into whether this affects Bilic's men moving forward

I wouldn't worry, none of our lot got within 2m of him.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #10554 on: October 07, 2020, 04:32:31 PM »

It doesn't they're in the PL testing regime. Slow news day for Joe?
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #10555 on: October 07, 2020, 05:09:30 PM »
Manchester City chief Ferran Soriano calls for inclusion of Premier League B-teams in the lower tiers (Telegraph Online)

Could this "initiative" be the final death knell for lower division teams or a welcome boost, I can't make my mind up, more detail needed
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

silver surfer

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #10556 on: October 07, 2020, 07:51:23 PM »
Manchester City chief Ferran Soriano calls for inclusion of Premier League B-teams in the lower tiers (Telegraph Online)

Could this "initiative" be the final death knell for lower division teams or a welcome boost, I can't make my mind up, more detail needed
Not sure that small teams gates will increase much to see the big clubs reserves so any financial benefit is debatable. Is Siriano suggesting that Man City’s B team is going save English football?
Long term is the plan to still have a team playing English football while they have another in a Euro league.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #10557 on: October 07, 2020, 08:20:20 PM »

Accrington Chairman less than complimentary in his response to this suggestion  ;D
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #10558 on: October 07, 2020, 08:25:29 PM »
Is it just a way of keeping a team in our leagues whilst swanning off to a European league at the same time ? Asking for a cynical friend !!
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #10559 on: October 07, 2020, 09:00:44 PM »
I prefer the leagues the way they are now, warts and all.

But, the FA and super rich clubs should be more supportive to those less fortunate imo.

赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #10560 on: October 08, 2020, 07:06:51 AM »
Man City have been championing the "B Team" model for a while, without much support from the Premier League and flat out resistance from the EFL.

In truth it is only the big 6 that would have the resources to run 2 squads and the 2nd squad be competitive even at League 2 level. For instance our under 23 team without 3 or 4 Senior Pro's would get run over every week in League 2 and that would not be beneficial for their development.

From the EFL's perspective either that is another say 6 teams into the 72 meaning either 3 leagues of 26 with a 50 game season plus play-offs. That turns the EFL season from a marathon to an ultra marathon (absolutely not good for anybody) or even more unacceptable 6 clubs lose their league status.

The B team concept benefits nobody except a handful of already rich clubs, so why do Man City bring this up now?  It is simple they see an opportunity for making it a condition of a Premier League bail out for the EFL.

This is doubly treacherous because while Man City are happy and able to pay for this quid per quo yet most Premier League clubs won't benefit from it however if it is a Premier League bail out then all Premier Clubs will be expected to chip in.

Football not only in England but across Europe has got itself into a right mess (Covid-19 is only the straw that broke the camel's back) In essence it has debts that no honest man can pay because of the entirely malign influence of a cartel of over mighty clubs. It needs reform top to bottom but none of the bodies in football are capable of doing it.

In a way I would welcome a European super league completely detached from national competition at least the pretense of a pyramid would be gone. What the hollowed out national leagues would look like is anybody's guess and the transition would no doubt be painful not all clubs would survive and the lower leagues would be semi professional. However ultimately if what was left was self sustaining community based and genuinely competitive I would be happy.     
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #10561 on: October 08, 2020, 09:19:55 AM »
i have been advocating Stans last paragraph for a long time, its the only solution to the mess and its the only viable way of getting truly competitive football back on the table. It would however require some sensible workable rules to stop the next level of clubs (currently Wolves / Everton / Soton.....) becoming the new top 6 elite and we know that football ruling bodies are incapable of "sensible and workable" anything sadly
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #10562 on: October 08, 2020, 12:47:43 PM »
i have been advocating Stans last paragraph for a long time, its the only solution to the mess and its the only viable way of getting truly competitive football back on the table. It would however require some sensible workable rules to stop the next level of clubs (currently Wolves / Everton / Soton.....) becoming the new top 6 elite and we know that football ruling bodies are incapable of "sensible and workable" anything sadly

Splitting off the top echelon of European football profoundly alters everything underneath it. The biggest impact would be those teams close to the line wherever that line is drawn. For instance however the map is redrawn Everton aren't on the right side of line. So what happens?

Everton's income collapses the better players exit to the new league and Moshiri stops "investing" So after the initial trauma what happens? If the club survives it will sign up to "sensible and workable regulation" by which I mean a hard wage caps, a limit on fees and tough regulation of agents.

The prospects for Everton would be good with one of the bigger fan bases it would make make money the lesser lights in the league would probably hover around breakeven but would never the less be competitive. 

From where we are now you have a far healthier environment but as I said not everyone survives and certainly not as a full time professional club.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #10563 on: October 08, 2020, 03:41:54 PM »
It would be really interesting to see what would happen with a European super league. The shake up would certainly be radical.

I personally probably wouldn't pay the European super league package though (providing its not bundled and surely it couldn't be). I used to enjoy the champions league midweek on ITV (despite the commentary), but not so much I pay for BT. Maybe catch it in the pub now and again (or consider streaming sometimes).

Yes it would mean sacrificing seeing the best 10% of players in the world (many of which I dont see anyway) but it would be worth it for a highly competitive English League. 

I think you'd probably end up with a 'top 4' of type in a super league too. So it would be interesting to see how long a chelsea or athletico, or roma fans enjoyed finishing 10th every year and away games costing a fortune. 

It would be the best chance fans of every other club would ever have to help change the status quo and support domestic football. The Spanish domestic league would be ruined. The English would still be attractive internationally though I think the stronger a domestic league became, the harder it would become for a super league to survive. 

If it happened, no doubt those big clubs would want an agreement for there return to the domestic league if it failed. They shouldn't be given it (but I've no doubt they would be)

silver surfer

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #10564 on: October 08, 2020, 03:56:24 PM »
It would be really interesting to see what would happen with a European super league. The shake up would certainly be radical.

I personally probably wouldn't pay the European super league package though (providing its not bundled and surely it couldn't be). I used to enjoy the champions league midweek on ITV (despite the commentary), but not so much I pay for BT. Maybe catch it in the pub now and again (or consider streaming sometimes).

Yes it would mean sacrificing seeing the best 10% of players in the world (many of which I dont see anyway) but it would be worth it for a highly competitive English League. 

I think you'd probably end up with a 'top 4' of type in a super league too. So it would be interesting to see how long a chelsea or athletico, or roma fans enjoyed finishing 10th every year and away games costing a fortune. 

It would be the best chance fans of every other club would ever have to help change the status quo and support domestic football. The Spanish domestic league would be ruined. The English would still be attractive internationally though I think the stronger a domestic league became, the harder it would become for a super league to survive. 

If it happened, no doubt those big clubs would want an agreement for there return to the domestic league if it failed. They shouldn't be given it (but I've no doubt they would be)
Hence the desire for a B team in the English league, a finger in both pies.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #10565 on: October 08, 2020, 04:06:18 PM »
Personally, I believe the only sustainable way to preserve our domestic leagues is for the top six to be part of a European Super League. And a reboot of the regulations for the clubs that remain as suggested by Standaman

But if and when that all goes pear shaped, they aren't allowed to comeback, but if they were, they would have to start in the bottom tier.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #10566 on: October 08, 2020, 07:15:59 PM »
If you are looking at a model for a European Super League then look no further than the NFL (and American ownership in European football is potentially very influential) For what it's worth I would guess you would be looking at 4 regional conferences and a 16 team play-off series.

It is absolutely made for TV and big corporate marketing. My guess is there would be 6 clubs from the big 5 leagues plus 10 additional invitees in order to give the league the widest geographic spread. As such I would reckon that at least 50% of domestic TV rights and 100% of the Champions League TV money would flow to it.

One thing is for sure it would not fail because of the sheer weight of money behind it.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #10567 on: October 08, 2020, 09:38:41 PM »
If you are looking at a model for a European Super League then look no further than the NFL (and American ownership in European football is potentially very influential) For what it's worth I would guess you would be looking at 4 regional conferences and a 16 team play-off series.

It is absolutely made for TV and big corporate marketing. My guess is there would be 6 clubs from the big 5 leagues plus 10 additional invitees in order to give the league the widest geographic spread. As such I would reckon that at least 50% of domestic TV rights and 100% of the Champions League TV money would flow to it.

One thing is for sure it would not fail because of the sheer weight of money behind it.

I’m not so sure. A major part of why the NFL works is it’s competitiveness and ‘level’ playing field (which can be debated), Without getting in to huge detail a big reason it can do this is because of its draft structure, which is fed by the college and high school sports systems which just cannot be replicated. The model cannot get close I don’t think.

An entire state can support an NFL team too. 32 teams across a population of 300 plus million across North America. You might have a similar population across Europe, but you’ve hundreds of sides with history and loyalties.  Most fans aren’t going to suddenly start supporting one of their countries representatives. You alienate a lot of your market.

The corporates would love it, I’m not sure fans would ever get on board.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #10568 on: October 09, 2020, 12:15:05 AM »
I’m not so sure. A major part of why the NFL works is it’s competitiveness and ‘level’ playing field (which can be debated), Without getting in to huge detail a big reason it can do this is because of its draft structure, which is fed by the college and high school sports systems which just cannot be replicated. The model cannot get close I don’t think.

An entire state can support an NFL team too. 32 teams across a population of 300 plus million across North America. You might have a similar population across Europe, but you’ve hundreds of sides with history and loyalties.  Most fans aren’t going to suddenly start supporting one of their countries representatives. You alienate a lot of your market.

The corporates would love it, I’m not sure fans would ever get on board.

Yes there are differences but if there was a closed European super League there would need to be similar checks and balances to ensure a level playing field otherwise it could go stale very quickly.

Fans are interesting and I would divide them into broad two groups. The committed match attending fan and the rest. The former is very much the tip of the iceberg whereas the vast bulk of the target group for this league or any other is the none committed casual fan who will watch it on TV. Millions will watch a game only tens of thousands will attend a game. 

Obviously the league can count on the fanbases of the clubs involved and given those teams are generally the best supported teams in their countries they won't be playing in front of empty stands.

While most of the fans I know would hate the idea many wouldn't watch it but then again most of them are like me committed fans but they aren't typical.

My brother in law bless him is far more typical. A nominal Man U fan he has been to a handful of United games  and is so uncommitted I can't even be bothered to taunt him on the occasions the Albion have beaten his boys, mainly because I forget he is one. His viewing habits are revealing he is drawn to the big occasion even if it doesn't involve his team. He will watch El Classico but would never watch Getafe v Eibar. He absolutely roots for English clubs in Europe competition and worse still is likely to buy Amstel beer because it's advertised during the transmission. He is far more typical and he would absolutely lap up a European Super League.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #10569 on: October 11, 2020, 01:25:08 PM »
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2020/10/11/project-big-picture-key-proposals-premier-league-over-haul-revealed/

A few more details (in bullet point form) for those who aee interested.

If this is agreed, Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham, and to a lesser extent Man City take over the decision making process of the domestic game forever.

It's a power grab, plain and simple.
Boing Boing

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #10570 on: October 11, 2020, 01:44:43 PM »
How are Spurs involved ,just got a big ground haven’t won any trophies since when ?
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #10571 on: October 11, 2020, 02:18:45 PM »
More, plain sight, unashamed corruption.
They are simply taking advantage of the fact that Covid has put the EFL clubs in an impossible position. Accept or go bust.
Despicable power grab. What a horrible game this has become.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #10572 on: October 11, 2020, 02:24:36 PM »
COVID presents the big clubs with the opportunity they have wanted for years, disastrous!!!
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #10573 on: October 11, 2020, 03:15:26 PM »
If "Project Big Picture" goes ahead as protrayed, I think it will be sufficient for my interest in football at that level to finally come to an end, regardless of where Albion end up in the pyramid. Putting control of the game completely into the hands of the wealthiest and yet still greediest clubs would be a travesty and completely disastrous for the future of the game, which would be run solely for their own self-interest going forward. The whole thing is shameful and makes me sick.

I just wish the biggest clubs would ride off into the sunset of a European league (if they'd be allowed into it post-Brexit!) and leave the rest of the clubs/fans to try to get back the game that they love. Better still, let the rest of the clubs have the balls to come up with their own counter-proposal which jettisons those clubs. I'd certainly support that idea....

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #10574 on: October 11, 2020, 04:17:46 PM »
Oh well if this comes about it will be non league and a season ticket for The Bears for me, I shall resort to watching the team, I've been faithful to for over 50 years, from afar.
Bin sky and upgrade my dodgy stick
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'