Author Topic: Joleon Lescott  (Read 245368 times)

GrGr

• WBA Coach

Re: Joleon Lescott Joins Aston Villa
« Reply #275 on: June 20, 2014, 03:22:10 PM »
Ok, so we have signed some old farts.

Now for the more telling and difficult part of signing some genuine up and coming young talent please.

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #276 on: June 20, 2014, 03:26:47 PM »

Now for the more telling and difficult part of signing some genuine up and coming young talent please.

What's the point? If they are that good then they will get snapped up within a season. I'd rather sign players for here and now.

PsalmXXIII

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #277 on: June 20, 2014, 03:33:21 PM »
Quote from Baggie79 - "We have broken our wage structure to get him which also shows we are serious about next season."

Alright it's not a game of oneupmanship - I still suggested a player on a free with higher wages was our norm and this is what this is, regardless of if he's the highest paid player. You carry on thinking that this is a signing to appease fans I'll see it as a good acquisition which was done because the opportunity was right and it strengthens the squad.

kamarasboot

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #278 on: June 20, 2014, 03:48:55 PM »
forget whether he's highest paid player etc etc, for me the bigger picture here is that Lescott will have no doubt had other offers which in the past meant we would have probably missed out on him. Its a good signing, makes us stronger and showed everyone that the club still are going to compete - everyone wins, no too sure what people have to complain about on this one?!
"He can dish it out, but He cannot take it", I once heard someone say of me. And it's true - I serve school dinners and I'm allergic to mashed potatoes.

GrGr

• WBA Coach

« Reply #279 on: June 20, 2014, 03:50:32 PM »
What's the point? If they are that good then they will get snapped up within a season. I'd rather sign players for here and now.

Because if we can sell with a profit we can get better players in. At least that way we can make a go for it, play some nice fun football and enjoy the ride and to have some fun along the way.

But you are correct, this club is just aiming for threading water and survival never mind good football or entertainment.

wbarenno

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #280 on: June 20, 2014, 03:58:00 PM »

If your not happy with lescott your never going to be happy mate. 31 old? For a center half he is at his peak.

He would have done a much better job then jagielka last night

Morany

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #281 on: June 20, 2014, 04:00:53 PM »
Can't for the life of me understand the negativity about this one. Not even a wolves connection should dampen this transfer, that was years ago. Move on.
It's Yow Rondon-don, it's yow Rondon!

east-stand-nick

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #282 on: June 20, 2014, 04:25:32 PM »
Can't for the life of me understand the negativity about this one. Not even a wolves connection should dampen this transfer, that was years ago. Move on.

The overwhelming majority on here have reacted positively to this.

Morany

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #283 on: June 20, 2014, 04:42:14 PM »
Yes agreed Nick, but there is as always still some negativity about this.
It's Yow Rondon-don, it's yow Rondon!

wardy65

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #284 on: June 20, 2014, 04:44:15 PM »
When I first read of our interest, I thought it was just to let fans know that we're showing an interest in quality players, but deep down thought he'd probably be joining a Newcastle or an Everton.
Well done Albion & welcome Joleon ... Fantastic signing!

Now, what was that Dolly Parton song again?  :D

phat_vapor

• WBA Newbie

wbafc68

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #286 on: June 20, 2014, 05:54:29 PM »
Welcome Joleon. Was told it was a done deal by Matt Murray at an event yesterday. He intimated a loan for Jack Rodwell could be next.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #287 on: June 20, 2014, 05:56:17 PM »
Yes agreed Nick, but there is as always still some negativity about this.

There is nothing in the world that would please everyone. We could sign Messi, Ronaldo and Robben and somebody would moan.

This Lescott signing is is absolute quality and providing he stays fit I can't see anything negative about the signing. 31 years old, he has a good three or four years left at the top level.

PsalmXXIII

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #288 on: June 20, 2014, 05:59:21 PM »

There is nothing in the world that would please everyone. We could sign Messi, Ronaldo and Robben and somebody would moan.

This Lescott signing is is absolute quality and providing he stays fit I can't see anything negative about the signing. 31 years old, he has a good three or four years left at the top level.

-Messi can't play the big target man role, he's never going to win headers when we boot it upfield.

- Ronaldo is too quick. He needs to slow it down and learn to think before shooting.

- Robben is suspect coming back to defend. Not good enough.

hunsletbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #289 on: June 20, 2014, 06:10:45 PM »
Not sure how true that rumour can be, Man City had a game the same day which Lescott started.
It is true man city were away at villa park that day and he called in the dressing room to gee the scum balls up on his way to villa park which was the later game.

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #290 on: June 20, 2014, 06:18:46 PM »
Excellent signing, one I genuinely thought would be beyond us financially so very pleasantly surprised. With Gardner and now Lescott in it has been a solid start to our transfer business, need to continue to build on this now.

graka

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #291 on: June 20, 2014, 06:22:57 PM »
great signing. ive no problem with frees when are proven quality players. if you look at the deal overall it makes financial sense to pay a bit more in wages rather than a fee then wages. how about Ashley cole,micah Richards on the same deals and save any cash we have for a striker and two wide players. but tom ince is a free aswel.

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

« Reply #292 on: June 20, 2014, 07:11:57 PM »
I think its an excellent signing I was pleasantly surprised that we have managed to bring him in a very good piece of transfer business. A very experienced Premiership defender still has two or three good years left in him too. Good work Albion.
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

baggiedave

• Newcomer

« Reply #293 on: June 20, 2014, 07:24:32 PM »
Wow, was'nt expecting he would sign, but hey, what a feel good factor signing this is, if Irvine can pull of a signature signing like Lescot, then the future could be very bright for our club. This for me is a statement signing for the rest of the premiership. Jolean Lescot has spoken very highly of Alan Irvine on our website today. Maybe us fans have badly missjuged Alan. Maybe just Maybe Jeremy peace has pulled off a miracle in appointing Rob Kelly and Alan Irvine. So come on lads, lets get behind our club.

smosher34

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #294 on: June 20, 2014, 07:37:04 PM »
great signing to end a  week being a west brom fan , who cares played for wolves in past !!! nice to get him in before pre season hope that's 1st of a few not on dead line day . didn't see this one coming off  ;)

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #295 on: June 20, 2014, 07:44:36 PM »
Wow, was'nt expecting he would sign, but hey, what a feel good factor signing this is, if Irvine can pull of a signature signing like Lescot, then the future could be very bright for our club. This for me is a statement signing for the rest of the premiership. Jolean Lescot has spoken very highly of Alan Irvine on our website today. Maybe us fans have badly missjuged Alan. Maybe just Maybe Jeremy peace has pulled off a miracle in appointing Rob Kelly and Alan Irvine. So come on lads, lets get behind our club.

Not crossed your mind that perhaps J-Lo was asked to big up Irvine due to the negative reaction over his appoinment?

Fell for that one hook, line and sinker haven't you?

glosterbaggie

• WBA Coach

« Reply #296 on: June 20, 2014, 07:46:45 PM »
It is true man city were away at villa park that day and he called in the dressing room to gee the scum balls up on his way to villa park which was the later game.
Well that is good news. When we play them again send Joleon it to bless them!  8)
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf - George Orwell"
"You can't put a price on being able too live with yourself"As I said to a tory MP

AlbionLifer

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #297 on: June 20, 2014, 09:31:40 PM »
great signing to end a  week being a west brom fan , who cares played for wolves in past !!! nice to get him in before pre season hope that's 1st of a few not on dead line day . didn't see this one coming off  ;)

For me the fact he used to play for Wolves is a huge bonus as you know it's killing all of them seeing him in blue and white

Rheneas

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #298 on: June 20, 2014, 09:34:48 PM »
great signing. ive no problem with frees when are proven quality players. if you look at the deal overall it makes financial sense to pay a bit more in wages rather than a fee then wages. how about Ashley cole,micah Richards on the same deals and save any cash we have for a striker and two wide players. but tom ince is a free aswel.

That'd bust the wage structure as well methinks. I'd have thought he might still have the legs to play abroad if he fancied. Certainly has the ability.

Thought Tom I. has gone to Inter?

Like the thought of Rodwell. Would welcome Richardson back too.

If they look to get in seasoned Premier League players who might not exactly be spring chickens but who know the game, plus bring some kids through, plus the odd inspired 'Dan Ashworth' quality players from abroad, then we'll be talking. 

cuckfield1704

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #299 on: June 20, 2014, 10:46:49 PM »
Not crossed your mind that perhaps J-Lo was asked to big up Irvine due to the negative reaction over his appoinment?

Fell for that one hook, line and sinker haven't you?

There is no convincing some people.
He's signed for goodness sake - the best England qualified CB around right now and, irrespective of his WM roots, with his Bosman status and options available to him do you think he would have come here if he didn't get on with Alan Irvine ?