Author Topic: Scotland v Macedonia  (Read 10975 times)

Quakes Fan

• Senior Baggie

Scotland v Macedonia
« on: September 08, 2012, 01:17:31 PM »
              McGregor

Hutton     Webster  Berra    Foster

Caldwell

Snodgrass   Adam    Rhodes  Morrison

Miller

As usual for Scotland, great midfield, great goalkeeper, dubious striker, weak defence.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 06:59:12 PM by LiamTheBaggie »

KingKoren

• Senior Baggie

Re: Scotland v Serbia
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 01:29:17 PM »
I thought Jordan Rhodes was a striker.

Can't believe they are still relying on Miller. You're right about that defence and midfield too.

I still reckon they will win though.

Quakes Fan

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 01:40:54 PM »
Craig Levein doesn't like strikers. He'll forever be remembered for playing without any against the Czech Republic. Of course, considering the strikers from which Scotland have had to choose in the past, one might sympathise with his preference.  ;)

Quakes Fan

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 03:09:45 PM »
So much for my BBC source. Actual starters:

McGregor

Hutton     Webster  Berra    Dixon

Caldwell

Snodgrass  Morrison  Adam   Naismith

Miller
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 03:12:32 PM by Quakes Fan »

Quakes Fan

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 03:18:41 PM »
Very scrappy game so far, cheap shots on both sides.

Quakes Fan

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012, 03:28:18 PM »
Why use Caldwell as a holding mid when it forces you to play either Webster or Berra? Move Caldwell to centre-half so you can either add a second striker, or if you're dead-set against it, another good midfielder from your deepest position.

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2012, 03:42:06 PM »
Alan Hutton going in with two feet again! Scumbag!

KingKoren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2012, 03:44:26 PM »
Alan Hutton going in with two feet again! Scumbag!

Could so easily been a red. Dirty player.

Naismith should of been sent off as well.

baggie-boy-ethan

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2012, 04:09:25 PM »
Anyone noticed how Morrison's playing?

Quakes Fan

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2012, 04:27:19 PM »
Anyone noticed how Morrison's playing?

Same as usual for Scotland, mostly just short link-up play.

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2012, 04:38:48 PM »
Same as usual for Scotland, mostly just short link-up play.

Classiest player on the pitch for Scotland though, but that's not saying much, overall, they are dross.
Baggie in Southampton

Quakes Fan

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2012, 04:39:38 PM »
May be Miller's last game for Scotland. It's a thankless task, playing up front for a Craig Levein side, but those missed headers were just awful.

Quakes Fan

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2012, 04:41:58 PM »
Classiest player on the pitch for Scotland though, but that's not saying much, overall, they are dross.

Dixon has made some excellent plays. Good games for McGregor and Caldwell as well.

KingKoren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2012, 04:44:07 PM »
Thought Caldwell has been by far the best player on the pitch. Done very well in that holding role.

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2012, 04:52:38 PM »
Thought Caldwell has been by far the best player on the pitch. Done very well in that holding role.

Yes Caldwell has been okay, just felt that Morrison was the only one creating anything.
Baggie in Southampton

KingKoren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2012, 04:55:18 PM »
Yes Caldwell has been okay, just felt that Morrison was the only one creating anything.

You have to feel sorry for their creative players when they only have Miller as an option.

No one seems good enough in the air to take advantage of Adam's set-pieces as well - they just aren't going to score.

Pseudo_Intel

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2012, 04:55:30 PM »
Morrison - creates three goal scoring opportunities in the second half...Miller misses them...James Morrison is taken off?

I can understand why Jimmy must get frustrated playing for Scotland sometimes. If he hasn't got the ball Charlie Adam is mouthing off at some other player or trying to play hopeful Beckham-esque cross-field balls. Morrison wants the short simple passing game but not many of the others seem interested.

Quakes Fan

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2012, 04:57:41 PM »
Morrison - creates three goal scoring opportunities in the second half...Miller misses them...James Morrison is taken off?

I can understand why Jimmy must get frustrated playing for Scotland sometimes. If he hasn't got the ball Charlie Adam is mouthing off at some other player or trying to play hopeful Beckham-esque cross-field balls. Morrison wants the short simple passing game but not many of the others seem interested.

All down to Levein. He really doesn't know what he's doing.

Pseudo_Intel

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2012, 04:58:48 PM »

Caldwell did well for one of the chances, and did his job pretty well. But I feel you need to give Morrison a mention; and I'm not being biased; he was one of the only people creating goal-scoring opportunities. Clever player, but goes unnoticed by incompetent commentators and Celtic/Rangers fans in the audience, until Jimmy makes the occasional mistake of course.

richjonawba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2012, 05:16:38 PM »
Morrison had a poor game by his recent standards i thought, very sloppy in possession. He did create a few chances for the AWFUL Miller (how is he still playing) but aside from that i was dissapointed in him

Pseudo_Intel

« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2012, 05:21:33 PM »
Morrison had a poor game by his recent standards i thought, very sloppy in possession. He did create a few chances for the AWFUL Miller (how is he still playing) but aside from that i was dissapointed in him

He didn't actually. Morrison gave away possession three times. The rest of the team were just as sloppy. The difference between Morrison and the others, is that the former was able to be creative and composed when it was necessary.

I can't really say who had a good game for Scotland. Snodgrass was majorly sloppy and didn't create anything, Naismith had his moments but seriously faded towards the end, Adam... just shouldn't be allowed to hoof balls from such deep positions, Caldwell had a good-ish game, Berra was hopeless.

In fact, the goalkeeper was probably their best player.

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2012, 05:26:36 PM »
Very very poor imo. Next to nothing in the creativity stakes Naismith and Miller easily contained and gave the m/f no options almost seemed they were scared of winning.
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

KingKoren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2012, 05:35:08 PM »
It's utterly ridiculous that Steven Fletcher isn't in the team - and starting ahead of Miller. I would sack Levein if he is the only thing preventing him from playing - which seems to be the case. He could make a big difference to that team in my opinion.

Quakes Fan

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2012, 05:36:46 PM »
As someone who has watched every Scotland game for the past four or five years, I can tell you it hasn't been any better when someone besides Miller played.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 05:40:47 PM by Quakes Fan »

Quakes Fan

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2012, 05:38:55 PM »
It's utterly ridiculous that Steven Fletcher isn't in the team - and starting ahead of Miller. I would sack Levein if he is the only thing preventing him from playing - which seems to be the case. He could make a big difference to that team in my opinion.

Scotland has had real trouble with player discipline in recent years. I'm not sure it would send a good message to sack Levein just because SF doesn't want to play for him.