Michael O'Neill
Gary Megson
Martin O'Neill
Paul Cook
Tony Mowbray
Slaven Bilic
Nigel Pearson
A.N. Other please state

Author Topic: New Manager  (Read 327456 times)

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

Re: New Manager
« Reply #1550 on: May 18, 2018, 08:38:55 AM »
all i ask is that the brand of football improves. Hopefully Big Daves mindset( when he gets his own players in) is still not that of the worst footballing coach we have had in Pulis
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

Yardley

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1551 on: May 18, 2018, 08:44:58 AM »
Think you need a good cop bad cop. We should have got McInnes in as manager who can get them fired up and Big Dave as his assistant. I’m worried this is too soon for him to take charge with such an important season ahead.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1552 on: May 18, 2018, 08:49:28 AM »
all i ask is that the brand of football improves. Hopefully Big Daves mindset( when he gets his own players in) is still not that of the worst footballing coach we have had in Pulis

Like you I hope that once Moore has got players in that he wants we see a change in style from the very Pulis/Megson like tactics we saw at the end of the season....I hope Moore was very much playing to the strengths of the players he had rather than that being his football philosophy.

I think Pardew was worse than Pulis. Pulis is rank bad and the football is painfully dull but it does at least have a plan (a very negative plan but a plan non the less), Pardew is just totally shambolic without any discernible plan.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Dan87uk

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1553 on: May 18, 2018, 08:51:32 AM »
Not confirmed by the club just yet - let's wait for the announcement first as it wouldn't be the first time we've thrown the media a curveball with our recruitment news.
The Only Dependable Thing About The Future Is Uncertainty

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1554 on: May 18, 2018, 09:10:56 AM »
Think you need a good cop bad cop. We should have got McInnes in as manager who can get them fired up and Big Dave as his assistant. I’m worried this is too soon for him to take charge with such an important season ahead.
I agree with every word, don't get me wrong i love Darren Moore and will back him all the way. I just hope the job isn't too big for him and in 6 months time everyone is against him, i would hate that to happen. Good luck Darren i think you might need it.

wba1993dave

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1555 on: May 18, 2018, 09:16:08 AM »
Remember Chris Hughton at Newcastle.  That was his first role as a manager and got Newcastle promoted. Hopefully Darren will do the same.
BOING BOING

miggybaggy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1556 on: May 18, 2018, 09:28:37 AM »
Welcome to the reality of where Pulis has got us....Big Daves foremost brief will be to ensure we reach the safety zone of 44/45 points and don't plunge further, so you can imagine the type of football we will have to put up with. We have now officially joined ranks with Notts Forest, Ipswich, Norwich and so on....... :(

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1557 on: May 18, 2018, 09:29:13 AM »
Not confirmed by the club just yet - let's wait for the announcement first as it wouldn't be the first time we've thrown the media a curveball with our recruitment news.

Think you need to accept it mate.

If we didn't give him the job after it's being reported by numerous outlets. The bad publicity on the club would go on all summer and beyond. BAME etc.

If we didn't want Moore we needed to say so in a statement  and give good reason after that Southampton vs Swansea game.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1558 on: May 18, 2018, 09:32:41 AM »
This will have been far from an easy decision from the board, they will be fully aware of the risks. I wouldn't imagine Darren got a text saying "Go on then you can have a go", there would have been lengthy discussions about budgets, structure, style of play, transfers etc. and he has obviously convinced them that he can tick all the boxes. Add to that, they know him extremely well, so he won't be able to blag them like a smooth talking outsider could (Pardew)

Dean Smith has an ok CV, but nothing spectacular, despite many more years "experience". Big Dave is an unknown quantity in terms of managing, so yes that's an undoubted risk, but his pedigree is there. More than anything though, for me, he has a genuine passion for our club, he's not in it for the money, or a stepping stone to greatness. His one focus will, absolutely, be to do what's best for WBA and that is priceless.

I have recruited many people over the years and I would always prefer to promote from within. Identifying someone with ambition and the skillset you need, coupled with an in depth knowledge of your business, it's processes and people, rather than someone with an inflated CV who can blag an interview, is a no-brainer for me.
It's very rare you get the chance to do this in football and I, for one, am glad we have grabbed it with both hands. It's been a long time since I have felt any real affinity to a player or manager of our club but, Big Dave feels like a kindred spirit, like we are in it for the same reason and I love him for that.

Dan87uk

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1559 on: May 18, 2018, 09:34:37 AM »

Think you need to accept it mate.

If we didn't give him the job after it's being reported by numerous outlets. The bad publicity on the club would go on all summer and beyond. BAME etc.

If we didn't want Moore we needed to say so in a statement  and give good reason after that Southampton vs Swansea game.

I'm not against it being Moore at all, but I do think he needs an older established right hand man to make sure he is properly supported and to help catch any potential mistakes a newer manager can make.

Style of football wise, I think for the last few games he just went back to basics with the Pulis built squad to 10 behind and hoof as he knew that's how they were built to play - i'd hope with a pre-season and a few signings under his belt he can transition us to have at least some decent attacking intent instead of 10 behind the ball all game.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 09:36:40 AM by Dan87uk »
The Only Dependable Thing About The Future Is Uncertainty

AbDabs

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #1560 on: May 18, 2018, 09:48:40 AM »
What DM did with the squad was get the best out of what he had - Pardew tried to 'open up' and play more expansive football but the current squad wasn't capable of doing so. He would have been mad to continue down that route.
He now has the chance of a full close season working with old and new players and we can argue about HIS style of football when we've had a fair amount of games to judge it in my opinion.
We finally have a bit of unity at the club and I for one am looking forward to next season for the first time in a few years!

Big Al

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1561 on: May 18, 2018, 09:55:44 AM »
Not my personal choice but will start with a clean slate. Let’s see what happens over the summer and get behind the team.
One thing is certain we need to have a decent start to unite the support behind the team. Having gained promotion under Merson and Billy Davies expansive football would be a surprise but as usual success would masks a lot of those issues.

stever60

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1562 on: May 18, 2018, 09:57:04 AM »
This will have been far from an easy decision from the board, they will be fully aware of the risks. I wouldn't imagine Darren got a text saying "Go on then you can have a go", there would have been lengthy discussions about budgets, structure, style of play, transfers etc. and he has obviously convinced them that he can tick all the boxes. Add to that, they know him extremely well, so he won't be able to blag them like a smooth talking outsider could (Pardew)

Dean Smith has an ok CV, but nothing spectacular, despite many more years "experience". Big Dave is an unknown quantity in terms of managing, so yes that's an undoubted risk, but his pedigree is there. More than anything though, for me, he has a genuine passion for our club, he's not in it for the money, or a stepping stone to greatness. His one focus will, absolutely, be to do what's best for WBA and that is priceless.

I have recruited many people over the years and I would always prefer to promote from within. Identifying someone with ambition and the skillset you need, coupled with an in depth knowledge of your business, it's processes and people, rather than someone with an inflated CV who can blag an interview, is a no-brainer for me.
It's very rare you get the chance to do this in football and I, for one, am glad we have grabbed it with both hands. It's been a long time since I have felt any real affinity to a player or manager of our club but, Big Dave feels like a kindred spirit, like we are in it for the same reason and I love him for that.
Great post on all the points you made. Never really got why people were getting so excited about Dean Smith. I hope Big Dave can carry it off. We  certainly need things in place sooner rather than later.
Don't call me Walt

HampshireBaggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1563 on: May 18, 2018, 10:01:21 AM »
It doesn’t necessarily have to be tippy tally passing football to appease me.

If we are direct without being long ball, quick, aggressive, pressing that is fine by me. I just want us to play on the front foot.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1564 on: May 18, 2018, 10:17:48 AM »
We had Pulis who made us play football that was so unwatchable it led me off a cliff of falling out of love with football. (the love still hasn't come back)

We then had Pardew who came in and propelled a Pulis squad into a spectacular losing streak

Over to you Big Dave but the pressure is firmly on when inheriting these bunch of bozos.

It is by no means an easy job which I why I obviously have reservations about it being handed to a man who's never been a head coach before.

Fingers crossed the new people in the positions of power pull some rabbits out of the hat in the summer, giving him a squad that can cruise to top two regardless of the mistakes which will inevitably come with such inexperience.

Some big appointments coming.

thats exactly how i feel, i will always follow the Albion but at this moment in time football is irrelivant because Pulis killed it for me. hopefully Darren if officiall and with a better style with his own footballers i will be rewnewing come xmas
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1565 on: May 18, 2018, 10:18:33 AM »

Really excellent post, could not agree more. Let's hope Big Dave is renamed Saint Dave by the end of the next season - COYB
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

baggiebof

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1566 on: May 18, 2018, 10:18:48 AM »
Interesting times ahead, I'm chuffed for Big Dave even if I do have my concerns. Regarding the style of play we are likely to see from him, he has been a part of our youth setup for many years and all of our youth teams do attempt to play a possession need style of play focussing on overloads in different areas of the pitch; I would therefore imagine Big Dave is capable of coaching this style of play. It is certainly interesting though, most managers are wed to one style of play, so we may get a sense of his preference early on.

Maresca Was A Baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1567 on: May 18, 2018, 10:24:07 AM »
Every managerial appointment has risks associated with them. You see high profile managers taking on jobs and failing miserably, as well as managers that we have never heard of that come to England and do ok. Im sure Graham Potter was a big risk, which fortunately for his club has paid off. It may have ended in tears, but it didn't. Most of us have been screaming for the club to appoint someone other than the normal tired 'experienced' managerial traveler. Just because a manager does well at one club, doesn't mean he'll be good at his next club. Big Dave knows the squad, he knows who can go and who he'd like to keep. He knows and understands how we, the supporters, expect the team to play. If he is appointed we can hit the ground running, as this summer will be the busiest in many years. Im sure he will make mistakes, but so long as he learns from them I can forgive him. We all make mistakes, none of us are perfect. He has the club at heart, unlike any other candidate, and I'm sure it would hurt him more than anyone if he failed. Lets get behind him (IF he gets the job) BECAUSE he will need our help too.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 11:01:51 AM by OldburyWBA »

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1568 on: May 18, 2018, 10:33:36 AM »
Sorry to be pedantic guys but, Dave will not be the manager,he will be head coach only.

mig

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1569 on: May 18, 2018, 10:38:40 AM »
So either the pledge from Jenkins to get us back to attacking football was a barefaced lie, or Darren Moore has said he will introduce such a style despite showing no intention of it in his six game audition.

I just don't understand the club's decision-making process at all based on this. To me it has player power written all over it.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1570 on: May 18, 2018, 10:38:55 AM »
Every managerial appointment has risks associated with them. You see high profile managers taking on jobs and failing miserably, as well as managers that we have never heard of that come to England and do ok. Im sure Graham Potter was a big risk, which fortunately for his club has paid off. It may have ended in tears, but it didn't. Most of us have been screaming for the club to appoint someone other than the normal tired 'experienced' managerial traveler. Just because a manager does well at one club, doesn't mean he'll be good at his next club. Big Dave knows the squad, he knows who can go and who he'd like to keep. He knows and understands how we, the supporters, expect the team to play. If he is appointed we can hit the ground running, as this summer will be the busiest in many years. Im sure he will make mistakes, but so long as he learns from them I can forgive him. We all make mistakes, none of us are perfect. He has the club at heart, unlike any other candidate, and I'm sure it would hurt him more than anyone if he failed. Lets get behind him (IF he gets the job) BECAUSE he will need our help too.
Spot on post , as you say all a risk in many ways .
I for one want away from the same old faces , for different reasons I'd be happy enough with Smith or Moore.
One thing I will say regarding the last 6 games is I don't see how the can be classed as all hoof ball , Swansea we passed it round better , a win at in form Newcastle with decent counter attacking . Add to that a decent show at Old Trafford. Granted Spurs and Liverpool 1st half wasn't great but they are two top European teams now . I certainly noticied a lot more working the ball up the flanks to wingers and crossing it in which we are told is the Albion way from older members.
If its Moore lets not judge him just yet.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 11:03:08 AM by OldburyWBA »
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

Cullompton baggie

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #1571 on: May 18, 2018, 10:42:27 AM »
wouldn't the press look stupid now if we did not appoint Moore!! every media producer are announcing it as a done deal
From Tividale to the Hawthorns

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1572 on: May 18, 2018, 10:45:33 AM »
Moore has earned the job. I've said it before and I'll say it again... the way he turned our form around was nothing short of miraculous. He deserves this opportunity.

BAGGIE5

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1573 on: May 18, 2018, 11:11:51 AM »
wouldn't the press look stupid now if we did not appoint Moore!! every media producer are announcing it as a done deal

They are usually right though.

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1574 on: May 18, 2018, 11:39:15 AM »
Like others I’m happy he’s been given the chance. He’s earned it by getting more points in his short time in charge than Pardew. The more I think about the appointment the more positive I feel. I really think the club is going back to the club I loved growing up and is trying to build a more united, West Brom type feel around the place. Lower season ticket prices and a former fans favourite at the helm.

Of course if it doesn’t work out I imagine we’ll replace him anyway like any other manager would be.