Author Topic: Action For Albion/ Potential Takeover  (Read 156503 times)

HampshireBaggie

• Senior Baggie

Re: Action For Albion/ Potential Takeover
« Reply #1075 on: February 07, 2024, 12:39:14 PM »
don't think he would as the foundation is technically separate to the club so not part of the sale in essence.

however the person that told him it was close probably was.

as for Goldberg i'd take what he says with a pinch of salt, someone who used to be in and around it from his WM days but is now just trying to make sure he's not forgotten and making whatever noise he can for attention.

having not lived in the midlands at all in my life I’ve not heard Goldberg much but I like the Podcast and he seems like a decent bloke. Don’t half talk a lot though, a good quality for a podcast/radio presenter to have but Chris L can’t get a word in edge ways half the time!

BAGGIE5

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1076 on: February 07, 2024, 06:11:34 PM »
There a couple of people on twitter sounding positively and that news will be coming out shortly.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1077 on: February 07, 2024, 06:25:49 PM »
There a couple of people on twitter sounding positively and that news will be coming out shortly.

Who exactly?
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1078 on: February 07, 2024, 07:13:42 PM »
Bill and Ben.

BAGGIE5

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1079 on: February 07, 2024, 08:00:39 PM »
Who exactly?

The ultimate ITK doody 😀

TAFKATMNo1Fan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1080 on: February 07, 2024, 09:47:31 PM »
The ultimate ITK doody 😀

I see Mr Dood has now protected his tweets...

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1081 on: February 07, 2024, 10:03:41 PM »
The ultimate ITK doody 😀

As you were then  :D
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Beefy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1082 on: February 09, 2024, 11:32:00 AM »
So Warmfron holdings who Lai is supposed to pay the loan back to TODAY has just changed its name to AH holdings at companies House, just seen it on twitter but have no idea who or what it means
https://twitter.com/gavin_poulton/status/1755906636739158269?t=RwiLVyRl7MpDeUyBOt8tOw&s=19

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1083 on: February 09, 2024, 02:02:44 PM »
Whilst we continue to be strong contenders for the play-offs Lai will not let go IMHO.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1084 on: February 09, 2024, 02:55:48 PM »
Whilst we continue to be strong contenders for the play-offs Lai will not let go IMHO.

From what i understand he can't afford to keep us. He probably (reasonably in my opinion, despite my having no love for the guy) wants a clause in there about if we go up this year he get £Xm more and it's a haggle around that i'd guess.

You'd look a prize fool if you sold a club for say £55m in 5th place, who thus had an OK shot of going up and they did go up, so instantly became worth £155m or whatever. So Lai probably wants a hedged bet on that front. Which the buyer is hesitant about.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2024, 03:08:47 PM by KnaveofAlbion »
Whenever things look bad, remember the Port Vale, Grimsby and Walsall days... not so bad now, eh?!

Formally Solo_Baggie, now one ID for all Baggie internet input

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1085 on: February 09, 2024, 03:08:42 PM »
I wouldnt agree to that deal mate, take my offer now or risk losing me
And if we dont go up we could be worth even less and in administration and picked up for peanuts
He is not a business man imo, he should take the offer thats on the table now not try and do a deal within a deal, hes useless

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1086 on: February 09, 2024, 03:10:38 PM »
I wouldnt agree to that deal mate, take my offer now or risk losing me
And if we dont go up we could be worth even less and in administration and picked up for peanuts
He is not a business man imo, he should take the offer thats on the table now not try and do a deal within a deal, hes useless

I don't disagree with you. I'm just putting forward what i'm guessing is happening. I work with £100m+ contract negotiations as a job and i can tell you people don't instantly become wise when dealing at those levels. Simple ego and greed drive lots of these things into the long grass.
Whenever things look bad, remember the Port Vale, Grimsby and Walsall days... not so bad now, eh?!

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1087 on: February 09, 2024, 04:49:37 PM »
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-13066201/West-Brom-takeover-saga-American-Shilen-Patel-favourite-Guochuan-Lai.html

The Daily Mail just published an article saying we're hopeful the club will be sold within the next month, listing Patel as front runner, and distancing us from Farnell, all of which we can only hope to be true.

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1088 on: February 09, 2024, 05:08:57 PM »
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-13066201/West-Brom-takeover-saga-American-Shilen-Patel-favourite-Guochuan-Lai.html

The Daily Mail just published an article saying we're hopeful the club will be sold within the next month, listing Patel as front runner, and distancing us from Farnell, all of which we can only hope to be true.
Truth and the Daily Mail aren't natural bedfellows at the best of times. That article seems to me to be a prime example of rehashing what has come out previously and dressing it up as inside knowledge. The more this drags on, the more worried I become to be honest. I've tried to be convinced by the "these things take time" and "we won't hear anything until it's signed and finalised" arguments but it's becoming harder by the day.

tambag

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1089 on: February 09, 2024, 05:39:19 PM »
Truth and the Daily Mail aren't natural bedfellows at the best of times. That article seems to me to be a prime example of rehashing what has come out previously and dressing it up as inside knowledge. The more this drags on, the more worried I become to be honest. I've tried to be convinced by the "these things take time" and "we won't hear anything until it's signed and finalised" arguments but it's becoming harder by the day.

Yep they article is wrong :

Lai has also taken £10m in loans from the club which he has not paid back.

No he hasn't one loan (approx £5 million now with the interest over the years) was taken out by Mr Peace (who didn't pay it off whne he sold - still outstanding to the club the holding company)  and the other £5million was him !

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1090 on: February 09, 2024, 06:01:57 PM »
Dood and WBXtra suggesting Americans are close.

Lewis Cox has since tweeted that it should be done soon too and pubilished an article in last 5 mins.  A few more weeks he suggests.

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/west-bromwich-albion/2024/02/09/west-brom-takeover-talks-enter-critical-stage/

HampshireBaggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1091 on: February 09, 2024, 07:00:44 PM »
Good news. Let’s hope it’s done by the end of Feb.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1092 on: February 09, 2024, 07:01:46 PM »
In a world of a 24 hour news nobody (media nor fans) can seem to cope with a process where there aren't any meaningful updates on a daily or even weekly basis. Into the vacuum a news organisation (the Mail just about qualifies) rehashes a story as an "update". In order to be relevant others have to carry an update e.g. E&S and our ITK friend Dood.

So nothing has changed. The takeover is probably closer the preferred bidder would still seem be Silian Patel. It will be completed subject to EFL approval probably during the next month.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1093 on: February 09, 2024, 07:09:08 PM »
In a world of a 24 hour news nobody (media nor fans) can seem to cope with a process where there aren't any meaningful updates on a daily or even weekly basis. Into the vacuum a news organisation (the Mail just about qualifies) rehashes a story as an "update". In order to be relevant others have to carry an update e.g. E&S and our ITK friend Dood.

So nothing has changed. The takeover is probably closer the preferred bidder would still seem be Silian Patel. It will be completed subject to EFL approval probably during the next month.
. Regarding this takeover we are a bit short on facts so all we can do is sit it out.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2024, 12:43:58 PM by Hull Baggie »

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1094 on: February 11, 2024, 01:23:56 PM »
Anyone know who the Armenian Noah group are? That are reported to be still interested.

bradleysrocket

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1095 on: February 11, 2024, 01:41:44 PM »
Anyone know who the Armenian Noah group are? That are reported to be still interested.
He was linked in the first batch of names released a month or so back. Roman Gevorkyan Is the named ‘leader’ of that group. Already tried to buy Charlton unsuccessfully.

zac

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #1096 on: February 11, 2024, 07:48:06 PM »
There is a slight update on another article written on The Athletic today by Matt Slater. I don't have access but i think the update was along the lines of that senior officials want the American Consortium but the combo of Farnell/Hearn think they can get it done with Lai and are flying out to China next week to try and force through a deal.
Smethwick..

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1097 on: February 11, 2024, 07:49:33 PM »
There is a slight update on another article written on The Athletic today by Matt Slater. I don't have access but i think the update was along the lines of that senior officials want the American Consortium but the combo of Farnell/Hearn think they can get it done with Lai and are flying out to China next week to try and force through a deal.

Here's the bit on us:

"The situation at West Bromwich Albion is even more confusing.

As first reported by The Athletic last month, there is a three-way race to buy the Championship club from Guochuan Lai, the Chinese businessman who paid £175million for a majority stake for them in 2016, when they were a Premier League side. The contenders are: a group put together by the English sports lawyer Chris Farnell, Armenian entrepreneur Roman Gevorkyan’s Noah Football Group and a bid led by Florida-based businessman Shilen Patel.

The latter is very much the choice of the club’s senior staff and also of West Brom’s main creditor, MSD Partners, the investment firm linked to American IT billionaire Michael Dell. And it would be fair to say Patel is now the frontrunner. However, Farnell’s group still believes it has the inside track with Lai, the man who is actually selling the shares, and Farnell and potential partner Alex Hearn are going to China this week to try to close their staged takeover of the club.

Lai borrowed £2million from Hearn in 2021. The loan was secured on 2.35 per cent of West Brom’s shares, with a deadline for repayment of last Thursday. That deadline, unsurprisingly, came and went without repayment and the accrued interest has raised Lai’s debt to Hearn to more than £4million.

Hearn has recently sold his main business, a domestic heating firm called Warmfront, so he does not need his money back urgently. In fact, he has recently signalled to the club that he would be happy to wait for a change of control at The Hawthorns before repayment.

But, equally, he is willing to see if Farnell can get his deal over the line and perhaps convert that loan into a minority stake. Gevorkyan, in the meantime, has been encouraged to remain in the race, as all outcomes are still possible.

The same can be said about West Brom’s on-field prospects, too.

A 2-2 draw at fourth-placed Ipswich Town on Saturday has them fifth, so a return to the Premier League is a realistic goal for the coming months. But they are £40million in debt and heading towards a £35m annual loss. Next season’s projection is no better, either.

If they are not sold or promoted this season, they will need an almighty clear-out to avoid financial fair play trouble next year, assuming Lai can fund them that long. The next week or so feels crucial."

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1098 on: February 11, 2024, 08:50:03 PM »
Thanks for the above, but honestly, the more i understand of how the club is being run, the worse i feel.

Anyone else envisage supporting a club in the Midlands Prem called Albion 1878? It's criminal how people can ruin such a cultural cornerstone as a football club. Shameful.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1099 on: February 11, 2024, 10:46:46 PM »
The update in the Athletic is unwelcome and unfortunately Matt Slatter is a reliable source.

A few points.

1. It's still a 3 horse race which means we are still potentially weeks away even from having contracts exchanged.

2. There is a split between the UK based executive e.g. Mark Miles and Lai. With Patel being favoured by Miles and the Farnell deal being favoured by Lai. Critically MSD favour Patel and have a right of veto. So anybody buying the club that isn't Patel will have to have cash to repay MSD now,

3. If the Farnell deal is along the lines described here

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68136098

It has  about zero chance of getting past the EFL. Firstly it is Farnell (who has previous) Secondly there is plainly a change of control but Lai still has 70% of the equity which simply does not stack up.

Equally aside from Hearn and Farnell who I am 99% certain don’t have the resources to provide the alleged £110m of funding we don’t know where the money is coming from

4. NOAH football group seems to be the back stop if everything else falls to pieces and I can see that happening.

Lai has been terrible, most of his decisions have been bad and he looks like he will continue to plague the club until either he sells up or drives the club into bankruptcy. Even the sale threatens to leave a toxic legacy for many years to come. 
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.