Author Topic: Very worrying the rate at which coaching staff are leaving the club  (Read 5576 times)

loucanova

• Baby Baggie

Something major must be going on behind the scenes that is causing unrest to the extent that so many coaches want out. The coaches at the Academy level are absolutely key to the club as without quality coaching at that level we won’t see promising youngsters coming through the ranks who are key to a club of our size.

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

Re: Very worrying the rate at which coaching staff are leaving the club
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2019, 06:39:52 PM »
Academy is being separated from the first team and the coaches don’t like it.

If rumours are true about Cresswell and Greening it sounds like we’ve replaced most of them already with decent options. Gk coach I don’t know but we don’t have a great record with keepers so might be a blessing.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2019, 06:58:51 PM »
Even if the changes are designed to improve the attitudes of the youngsters, its not alot of good if the coaching staff have become drunk off en masse. The quality of the coaching staff is key to the whole centre. I don't know how easy it is to find good staff with the kind of background knowledge and skills which are going to make a difference.
I presume its more than just phoning up the local Job Centre and asking who they've got. 
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

royhan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2019, 07:01:37 PM »
What’s happened to Shân? We sorely need him back working with our younger players.

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2019, 08:01:39 PM »
Even if the changes are designed to improve the attitudes of the youngsters, its not alot of good if the coaching staff have become drunk off en masse. The quality of the coaching staff is key to the whole centre. I don't know how easy it is to find good staff with the kind of background knowledge and skills which are going to make a difference.
I presume its more than just phoning up the local Job Centre and asking who they've got.

Darren Moore got a job so it shouldn't be too difficult.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2019, 08:24:34 PM »
Darren Moore got a job so it shouldn't be too difficult.
Not sure the point you're making. We're probably looking at jobs on a slightly lower pay grade.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2019, 08:26:21 PM »
E&S says the head of academy coaching Ryan Maye is going to Villa to join Harrison.

It'll be interesting to see what we do. What's also interesting in my opinion is that none of these academy staff that have done well and seem so highly thought of, seem to have had much in the way of their own careers.

Hopefully we have someone senior left who can help spot potential good coaches and possibly even educate and train them in what has worked so well. In many respects just bringing in a batch of Greening and Cressswell type coaches would be lazy and possibly undo everything.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2019, 09:23:26 PM »
Who are agreeing and Creswell, can someone elaborate on that for me?
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2019, 09:40:44 PM »
Who are agreeing and Creswell, can someone elaborate on that for me?

Jono Greening, former Albion winger cum midfielder and Richard Cresswell current head of Leeds United academy.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 09:41:40 PM by OldburyWBA »
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2019, 09:51:51 PM »
I’d have been more worried about losing our better first team players.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2019, 10:24:38 PM »

Jono Greening, former Albion winger cum midfielder and Richard Cresswell current head of Leeds United academy.

Thanks. I read a bit more about it. It’s more positive news than we’ve been used to of late  I guess...
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2019, 10:45:38 AM »
Another one bites the dust, Mark Naylor academy goalkeeping coach off to the seals.
They must have pretty well all our youth coaches now?
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

BigFrank20

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2019, 10:57:08 AM »
Another one bites the dust, Mark Naylor academy goalkeeping coach off to the seals.
They must have pretty well all our youth coaches now?
Wasn't this common knowledge weeks ago?
BoingBoing, a Baggie born and a Baggie I shall die (one day)

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2019, 11:52:42 AM »

First time I've seen it TBH
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2019, 12:05:35 PM »
Me too.

Needs a big restructure now, pretty much all the heads of have left.

From reading different articles and views of the likes of Lepokswi and Madeley etc, it seems as though Dowlings decision to split the academy entrance from the first team entrance and separate them entirely has annoyed a few of the academy staff.

Once one or two leave then all the other 'old guard' probably see it as time they go for something new aswell.

Let's just hope we can get some decent people in to replace them as our academy has produced some decent young players and continues to do so.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 12:07:32 PM by Mister AT »

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2019, 12:11:17 PM »

Yes, I read that he was leaving a few weeks back,  but I don't recall him being mentioned in connection with the vile
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2019, 12:14:39 PM »
What's going on? Are any of our original coaching staff left? It can't be a coincidence that so many are leaving. I wonder who's responsible.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2019, 12:36:41 PM »
What's going on? Are any of our original coaching staff left? It can't be a coincidence that so many are leaving. I wonder who's responsible.

UNDER-23 MANAGER: Michael Appleton

UNDER-23 ASSISTANT COACH: Deon Burton

PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT PHASE GOALKEEPING COACH: Mark Naylor

HEAD OF COACHING: Ryan Maye

HEAD OF ACADEMY RECRUITMENT: Steve Hopcroft

ASSISTANT RECRUITMENT OFFICER: Matt Richardson

ASSISTANT RECRUITMENT OFFICER: Scott Curry

This is from the official site, the ones in bold have also left. It's clear to see the ones who got on well with Harrison are following him to Villa. Be interesting to see if we tried to put up a fight to keep them or happily let them leave.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2019, 01:57:03 PM »
Haven't most of them gone to Villa? Could just be that we have to accept that they are a Premier League club with more resources. If they've been offered more money, with, presumably,very little logistical upheaval (as it's only down the road), then would be hard to turn down.

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2019, 02:01:45 PM »
Who cares?? We are playing like Brazil....that's all that matters  :D

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2019, 02:28:55 PM »
Who cares?? We are playing like Brazil....that's all that matters  :D
If you're not bothered about the quality of players coming through the Academy in the next few years.

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2019, 02:33:13 PM »
If you're not bothered about the quality of players coming through the Academy in the next few years.
to be fair with our return on goalkeepers over the decade and a bit Naylor was here, maybe it’s good he’s gone. We’ve got talented players who haven’t progressed under him.

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2019, 05:01:29 PM »

You'd be surprised actually. Some of the high profile jobs such as league managers aren't usually advertised as such, as the club often has someone in mind. However, coaches, physios, Academy coaches etc usually advertise on the EFL website. You can go and look at the vacancies for every club. If you have the qualifications and experience you can apply.

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2019, 05:49:35 PM »
if they are happy to move to Villa, I'm happy to see them go. Plenty more bright young coaches out there. Hopefully their replacements will be better.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2019, 03:05:34 PM »
I follow James Shan on twitter, he appears to have a technical mindset. I suspect that is/was the mindset of the Academy.

With the appointment of MA, I believe that the mindset of the academy has now changed to a results based one.

You can see it in the players that have graduated to the first team, all highly technical, but somewhat lacking in a winning mentality.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?