Author Topic: Centre midfield  (Read 36236 times)

Pie

• Youth Baggie

Re: Centre midfield
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2018, 12:00:19 AM »
We are desperate for a couple more centre mids with more pace and technical ability about them.

To not get at least one in before the window shuts would be criminal.

Nick Powell/Ryan Woods seem like no brainers to me but we know the club are not going to splash any cash.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2018, 12:02:10 AM »
We are desperate for a couple more centre mids with more pace and technical ability about them.

To not get at least one in before the window shuts would be criminal.

Nick Powell/Ryan Woods seem like no brainers to me but we know the club are not going to splash any cash.
Do you mean the "committee"? as per the Wheel tappers and Shunters social club?

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2018, 12:02:49 AM »
Maintain the problem is Livermore, Brunt still starts our best moves (see the goal tonight) and is constantly looking forward.

Would like to see Field in there alongside the skipper.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Pie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2018, 12:12:25 AM »
Maintain the problem is Livermore, Brunt still starts our best moves (see the goal tonight) and is constantly looking forward.

I do think Livermore is a major issue.

I don't see what he brings to the game at all. He is no good going forward, and actually not that great defensively. Tonight he looked lazy often letting runners go without tracking. Never seen much Leadership or other worthy traits either.

His constant negative passing puts us under pressure because a lot of the time his touch and pass are poor which invites the opposition to press. This also leads to the receiver of the pass having to clear it rather than picking a pass.

There were a couple of occasions (as there are in every match I notice) that the forwards or midfield win the ball and look to break but the ball pops or arrives to Livermore who inevitably slows down and passes it backwards.

Maybe he is forced/told to play this way but I can't imagine it.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2018, 12:17:01 AM »

Brunt and Livermore both need removing from this sides centre midfield, not one but both, I wouldn't use our goal tonight to try and prove a point that your friend Chris is the man to be there, he passed a ball to a team mate (for once tonight that wasn't sidweays or backwards), it found it way through to Gibbs who majorly overhit a cross and Phillips hit a stunner. Are you claiming an assist on that ? if so how far do we go back them? to Johnstone ?
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2018, 12:27:32 AM »
Brunt and Livermore both need removing from this sides centre midfield, not one but both, I wouldn't use our goal tonight to try and prove a point that your friend Chris is the man to be there, he passed a ball to a team mate (for once tonight that wasn't sidweays or backwards), it found it way through to Gibbs who majorly overhit a cross and Phillips hit a stunner. Are you claiming an assist on that ? if so how far do we go back them? to Johnstone ?

Brunt hasn't played badly in either game. Since when has starting a move been an assist? He's not going anywhere anyway so I just hope Darren tries him with a different partner to the guy who DOES always give the ball away. Oh and it didn't 'find its way through' to Gibbs, Barnes turned it round the corner to him deliberately such was the quality in weight of Brunt's original pass...

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2018, 12:38:51 AM »

Brunt hasn't played badly in either game. Since when has starting a move been an assist? He's not going anywhere anyway so I just hope Darren tries him with a different partner to the guy who DOES always give the ball away. Oh and it didn't 'find its way through' to Gibbs, Barnes turned it round the corner to him deliberately such was the quality in weight of Brunt's original pass...
Brunt has been poor in both games as has majority of players.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2018, 12:40:04 AM »

Brunt has been poor as has Livermore, the central midfield is poor, they are slow, cumbersome and create nowt, Brunt is being shoehorned in for set-pieces which to be honest are not up to the standard of previous seasons. They BOTH  need replacing or if one is left out it has to be Brunt as Livermore is an actual centre midfielder so not a square peg.

The reason I asked about the assist as you keep telling us about his assists so can you tell me how many assists he has made in the central role please? I count one against Coventry which was another hit and hope ball, stands to reason you do it often enough then one will work.

Play people to their strengths, Brunt's is his crossing ability which he cannot do in the middle of the pitch watching games pass him by.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2018, 12:43:03 AM »

Brunt has been poor as has Livermore, the central midfield is poor, they are slow, cumbersome and create nowt, Brunt is being shoehorned in for set-pieces which to be honest are not up to the standard of previous seasons. They BOTH  need replacing or if one is left out it has to be Brunt as Livermore is an actual centre midfielder so not a square peg.

The reason I asked about the assist as you keep telling us about his assists so can you tell me how many assists he has made in the central role please? I count one against Coventry which was another hit and hope ball, stands to reason you do it often enough then one will work.

Play people to their strengths, Brunt's is his crossing ability which he cannot do in the middle of the pitch watching games pass him by.

We'll never agree so I don't know why you bother mate... As for Livermore he's not a footballer so I don't care if it's his natural position, he has no natural ability.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2018, 12:46:58 AM »

We'll never agree so I don't know why you bother mate... As for Livermore he's not a footballer so I don't care if it's his natural position, he has no natural ability.

I bother because this is a forum where people are entitled to give different views on things and because its a disgrace that a club of this standing still persists with square pegs in round holes and continue to ignore things that don't work.

Nope we'll never agree on it.

wbatillidie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2018, 01:27:10 AM »
If we continue to use Brunt and Livermore as the two we’d be lucky to stay up this season. I believe there’s a spot in the squad for Brunt, probably at left back, as for Livermore I’d be chuffed if I never seen him in the shirt again. I can’t think of one thing he’s remotely good at
"You'll never get past Claudio"

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2018, 05:40:00 AM »
A two in midfield only works when you have two dynamic players who have energy and of course quality to keep the ball moving. Otherwise you become a Pulis team and bypass midfield to get the ball wide ASAP in order to get in crosses or get it in the box quickly / fighting for second balls.

This period is really Darren Moore sorting out his strategy - will he play through the middle or not? If he does he desperately needs midfielders who can do that ( I think Field can but is raw in a two). Brunt is our best left back imo and we’d still have his set piece delivery

Hopefully we’ll get one or two midfielders to replace Barry and Chadli we don’t half need em

BigFrank20

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2018, 06:36:40 AM »
We were so swamped  in midfield last night as Forest flooded the centre of the pitch with many players who were fleet of foot and mind that its hardly any wonder that both Brunty and Livermore are on various peoples pooh lists ATM.
It was as much a tactical issue as an ability of individuals to cope. We desperately need someone in the middle of the park with the ability to drive forward with the ball and then pick the right forward, not sidewards or backwards, pass. It would also be helpful if this mythical midfielder could then quickly get back and help out whenever we lose possession, I believe the modern term is a 'box to box' midfielder.
It was a great night out yesterday with a nostalgic tear in my eye as we ran out in that iconic kit and then ending with some ballistic celebrations as the equaliser went in. Proper football, proper kit and a proper old fashioned footie ground, loved every minute of it
COYB
BoingBoing, a Baggie born and a Baggie I shall die (one day)

kamarasboot

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2018, 06:41:31 AM »
Just to reduce the risk of anyone sitting down on Thursday evening expecting to watch an evening of drama unfold, the window (for permanent deals except for sales to foreign clubs) actually closes at 5.00pm.

Ah yes my mistake, make it 4:59pm
"He can dish it out, but He cannot take it", I once heard someone say of me. And it's true - I serve school dinners and I'm allergic to mashed potatoes.

ashdoy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2018, 07:03:34 AM »
Ryan Woods & Nick Powell would do fine for me.

mini gaardsoe

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2018, 07:24:04 AM »
Amazes me that there are people who are putting more blame on Livermore than Brunt. In both games Brunt has dropped in line with the defence to pick up the ball leaving Livermore on his own against 3 players. Either we need a ball playing centre back so Brunt can stay in the middle of the park or someone with an engine in the middle.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 09:11:43 AM by mini gaardsoe »

Yardley

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2018, 07:36:46 AM »
It’s time to stop playing like a bottom half premiership side looking to nick something. We need to stamp our own identity on the way we play in this league. Need more creativity from midfield, we’ve not going to score passing sideways. We need someone who can drive the ball forward, Brunt and Livermore can’t do that. I’m worried Big Dave doesn’t know of any other way to go about it. I just hope this new coach has an idea

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2018, 07:37:00 AM »
We have been linked with 3 defensive midfielders in the last couple of days. Had it been one, it could have been written off as agent talk, but 3 links suggests we are looking at a player to fulfil that role.

While I get we lack energy in the middle, it seems Moore is falling into the EXACT same trap Pulis did, stockpiling similar type midfielders while ignoring the glaring lack of ball playing ability in there.

All top teams have a mix in their central midfield (energetic ball winners, pacy runners and stylish ball players). When the window shuts, we will be left without many options in there at all.

Even when Moore eventually gets relieved of his duties (which on the evidence so far, will likely have happened come the start of December), the new man will be presented with the same issues Pardew inherited of having a complete lack of balance or options and so, unable to adapt us.

It's a shambles.
Boing Boing

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2018, 08:08:43 AM »
that was like watching Pulisball last night. midfield that creates nothing and set pieces being our main threat got us relegated we need to fix this or forget any chance of getting back up.how many years can a club ignore it needs an attacking midfielder?

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2018, 08:12:18 AM »
Sam Field HAS TO play when he's fit. He's the only one with any legs at all.

This Livermore / Brunt thing cannot be allowed to continue.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2018, 08:27:56 AM »
Is it just me who expects Darren Moore to persist with the Brunt and Livermore combination?

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2018, 08:29:42 AM »
Is it just me who expects Darren Moore to persist with the Brunt and Livermore combination?

If he does he won't last long in the job.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2018, 08:31:11 AM »

Nope. I think anyone who can look beyond their delusions can see that Moore prefers this combination and has done since taking charge at the back end of last season. I fully expect that he will persist with it throughout his, undoubtedly short if he does, tenure.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2018, 08:38:28 AM »

I have the nagging fear that he will, but I hope the links to box to box type midfielders means he won't. If he does surely he will see that it isn't working, although he doesn't appear to see it at the moment.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2018, 08:51:21 AM »

No, though I hold out hope there might be interest in Livermore hence the links to midfielders.