Author Topic: Sam Johnstone  (Read 662011 times)

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

Re: Sam Johnstone
« Reply #650 on: August 26, 2019, 09:54:25 PM »
Maybe the criticism of him gave him a kick up the backside. But it can also destroy a players confidence. It can make him be fearful of making the tiniest error for fear of being slated.
Albion fans seem to have at least one first team player they love to hate.
I think you meant some football fans tend to pick on a player regardless of performance. In all my years supporting Albion, I’ve never hated any of our players. I’ve never heard an Albion fan declare it. I’ve only hated Bryan Robson after he left, but only for a while.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #651 on: August 26, 2019, 09:58:40 PM »
And how did you come by the results of the survey?
It’s common knowledge. Some of them are not actually human.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

chipperclark

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #652 on: August 27, 2019, 07:32:56 AM »
It’s common knowledge. Some of them are not actually human.
;D So there is "LIFE ON MARS"as Bowie asked?

BoingFlyer

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #653 on: August 27, 2019, 08:55:56 AM »
And how did you come by the results of the survey?

87.5% of stats are made up.
Make Mercia Great Again. #MMGA

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #654 on: August 27, 2019, 08:40:54 PM »
87.5% of stats are made up.
What about the other 46.7% ?
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

wodenson46

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #655 on: August 28, 2019, 02:24:20 PM »
72.35% of those are made up as well

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #656 on: August 28, 2019, 03:32:18 PM »
99% of his critics agree he had a good game on Saturday.

Maresca Was A Baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #657 on: August 31, 2019, 08:29:10 PM »
Another error. How many more. Having the odd good game isn't enough.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #658 on: September 01, 2019, 12:51:36 AM »
I'll take the pelters
He's terrible, looks like he's won a competition to play for us.
How many we we have to score this year because we know we can't do clean sheets ?
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

ashdoy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #659 on: September 01, 2019, 08:12:50 AM »
De Gea has one clean sheet in 20, does that make him terrible?

Football is no longer about clean sheet, look around the leagues and you’ll see that.

This lad takes far too much stick and it’s absokutely ridiculous. Just because folk don’t like him playing short (although his distribution is very good) and his name isn’t Ben Foster.

I don’t see anyone moaning at how good his pass was to Furlong for our second yesterday.

Yes his error for the second goal, and that was poor; but he must seriously hate playing at our place due to some of the Albion lot he has behind him.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #660 on: September 01, 2019, 09:32:26 AM »
HThis lad takes far too much stick and it’s absokutely ridiculous. Just because folk don’t like him playing short (although his distribution is very good) and his name isn’t Ben Foster.

His keeping for the second Blackburn goal was shocking, how a goalkeeper isn’t capable of picking the ball up off the ground is beyond me. He’s getting stick for awful performances which is down to him. I praised him for his game at Derby. Yesterday sadly he reverted to type. 1 good game in 6 so far. It’s becoming comical.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #661 on: September 01, 2019, 09:36:13 AM »
His performances week in and week out are just not good enough. It is as simple as that. No one hates him or wants to see him fail we all support the same club but absolutely no chance we can kep turning a blind eye to the fact that he's not a top goalkeeper even at this level.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #662 on: September 01, 2019, 09:38:21 AM »
I can see Al Habsi replacing Johnstone soon. He's been brought in for a reason. Obviously, what happens in training doesn't convince Slaven that Bond is worth replacing Johnstone with but Al Habsi is a proven, experienced goalkeeper.

Wouldn't surprise me to see him replacing Sam after the international break.

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #663 on: September 01, 2019, 09:39:35 AM »
Didn't see him rushing to Twitter with silly comments after yesterday's goal.

In all seriousness that error let Blackburn right back in it after a very dominant display and shifted the momentum in the second half.

It isn't just Sam, but the whole defence that isn't filling me with any confidence at the moment. That's another silly set piece conceded from and we gifted them their first as well.

On a more positive note, Sam played some great balls forward with his feet, one of them setting up our second. If only he practiced a bit more at catching too.

ashdoy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #664 on: September 01, 2019, 09:52:56 AM »
Whilst yes the second was awful, Livermore should not be excused from that debacle. His “marking” was woeful and allowed the lad a free header at the back post. Whilst this didn’t lead to the goal, we should not overlook it.

Other than yesterday though I’m struggling to find a goal directly caused by Johnstone?

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #665 on: September 01, 2019, 10:15:00 AM »
Whilst yes the second was awful, Livermore should not be excused from that debacle. His “marking” was woeful and allowed the lad a free header at the back post. Whilst this didn’t lead to the goal, we should not overlook it.

Other than yefsterday though I’m struggling to find a goal directly caused by Johnstone?
Forest's goal , Bartley a fraction late closing down but its Sam's near post and a long way out . Add to that it goes under his hands.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #666 on: September 01, 2019, 10:23:15 AM »

Other than yesterday though I’m struggling to find a goal directly caused by Johnstone?

Forest away. If you go back to last season there are too many to mention.

Six games in, Johnstone at fault for two goals that's 1 in every 3 games, Bartley at fault for at least three that's 1 in 2.

Unfortunately, and it's not hating or anything like that, neither are good enough over a period of time to justify being first choice starters in a team looking to get promotion. They are the type to bring in if you need them for a game or two and will do a job but they are not consistently good enough. Clean sheets will always be a rarity for a team who has individuals making consistent errors at the back.

Criticism is good as long as it's constructive and justifiable, in fact it's imperative. If you just accept everything as it is you will never progress.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #667 on: September 01, 2019, 10:35:25 AM »
To me Johnstone is a slighty above average keeper at this level , to be involved in a promotion chase you need slightly better .
Its no good playing very well at Derby then spilling a basic ball the next game and that does appear to be a pattern with him.
He's not bad but on occasions just lacking that special save here and there to get us out of trouble .
Following Foster was always going to be hard.

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

Maresca Was A Baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #668 on: September 01, 2019, 11:29:09 AM »
He was also lucky with the disallowed goal yesterday. He was too power puff, knocked over way too easily. Keepers need to be big and strong. He is like a limp lettuce. Doesn't seem to have the 'I'm getting that ball no matter who I have to go through' attitude. He needs to be dropped im afraid. No good having replacements if you never use them. It sends the wrong message out.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #669 on: September 01, 2019, 12:10:35 PM »
Absolutely right. If he can play as poorly as he does and knows he isn't getting dropped he doesn't need the desire to improve.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #670 on: September 01, 2019, 01:42:54 PM »
De Gea has one clean sheet in 20, does that make him terrible?

Football is no longer about clean sheet, look around the leagues and you’ll see that.

This lad takes far too much stick and it’s absokutely ridiculous. Just because folk don’t like him playing short (although his distribution is very good) and his name isn’t Ben Foster.

I don’t see anyone moaning at how good his pass was to Furlong for our second yesterday.

Yes his error for the second goal, and that was poor; but he must seriously hate playing at our place due to some of the Albion lot he has behind him.
Firstly you are mentioning De Gea and Johnstone together .....whereas I wouldn't
Secondly , I don't blame him at all for playing out short from the back, that will be deliberate tactical directions
Flapping at crosses, droppingballs, not moving when someone strikes etc etc....that's where I get annoyed......
But of course we can blame the bloke in the rainbow that threw the ball back too fast 20 mins before the second goal.....
The point is , he isn't very good, he scares the defenders , Livermore had a right go at him yesterday, Gibbs the other week , countless players last season

I'll say agin, I don't know him, I don't hate him, I don't care he played for the bin dippers , I don't give a flying f&&& that he is a nice bloke ........people can keep sticking up for him but what you see can't lie, he doesn't command his area and he gets beat/makes too many gaffs
I didn't ironically cheer yesterday when he finally realised he wasn't glued to his line....but I really understand why so many did....it wasn't 1 or 2 ....it was hundreds , do we think they are all wrong?

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #671 on: September 01, 2019, 03:00:17 PM »
His inability to catch the ball for the second goal and then creating a panic across the rest of the box is pathetic.

The sarcastic jeering of when he claimed a catch in the second half was even worse. Does not help anybody.

Now the crowd are having a pop we may as well bring his career here to an end

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #672 on: September 01, 2019, 03:02:33 PM »
I think that a defence needs to work together as one unit. That is as much about communication as it is ability. The best defences form one tight unit, where everybody knows what to do in given situations. The other defenders must be confident in knowing when their keeper is coming out for the ball. Foster's importance was much down to that as his shot stopping ability.
I'm not close enough to the action to know exactly what is going on between our defenders, but it doesn't seem like a tight, confident unit.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #673 on: September 01, 2019, 05:47:08 PM »
The comment about him being a slightly above average keeper at this level is spot on.  He's not awful but, even those who defend him, can you honestly say when there's an effort at goal you think "the keeper will stop that one"?  If he makes the save it's more of a surprise than when he doesn't.  Just like when Gayle\K Phillips pulls the trigger in a good position you think 'goal' whereas HRK does it and you're like "errr.... will it?".

The first one yesterday is case in point, good keepers will save that and bail you out of trouble, other keepers will concede it.

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #674 on: September 01, 2019, 07:04:01 PM »
His inability to catch the ball for the second goal and then creating a panic across the rest of the box is pathetic.

The sarcastic jeering of when he claimed a catch in the second half was even worse. Does not help anybody.

Now the crowd are having a pop we may as well bring his career here to an end

Scott Carson all over again! Bang on the money Liam.