Author Topic: We are going down ?  (Read 78504 times)

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

Re: We are going down.
« Reply #75 on: March 30, 2014, 11:43:25 AM »
It's far from over yet. Norwich are eminently beatable and Spurs have faded badly of late. If we can get 4 points from those 2 games, things will be looking much healthier again. Regardless of the calamity at the end, remember it was a must-win game for Cardiff and they didn't win it. We'll have Olsson back next week and, hopefully, Yacob as well, so we should become more solid again. Anichebe might even be fit.

Ultimately though, it's going to come down to the players and how much each one of them, as an individual, wants it. Get in the way of crosses and shots properly, don't just hang a leg out and turn your back.

WBARoberts

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #76 on: March 30, 2014, 11:50:13 AM »
Well done people.

As I said yesterday absolutely no need for panicked 'we're down' statements. We're still 3 points off the bottom three with a game in hand on Cardiff, beat Norwich and our position looks far more favourable.

There is disappointment after yesterday but the truth of the matter is that we were going to win that game in the 93rd minute apart from a very poor error of judgement from Berahino. No matter how we let the two goal advantage slip we still would have won that game had it not been for the final mistake.

We still have 7 games left of the season - Norwich, Spurs, City, Arsenal, Sunderland, West Ham, Stoke. To me that's really not a bad run in to the end of the season. With the exception of City and Arsenal there are the possibility of points at all of the other games. If Everton go and batter Fulham today I believe they are done for. That leaves two places to battle for - Does anyone really give Cardiff a shot? And to add to that Norwich have an absolutely horrific run in, if we can take three points there then I believe Norwich are really going to be in a hole.

For those who don't believe we can pull a result there just look at beating Swansea away - we can pick up points at Carrow Road.

baggie53

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #77 on: March 30, 2014, 02:35:51 PM »
Everyone's gutted by yesterdays result, but if we had drawn 3-3 Swansea and beaten Cardiff 2-1 we would be in exactly the same position as we are now and we would all be feeling much more optimistic
Vorwärts die Breiten Hosen !

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #78 on: March 30, 2014, 02:54:20 PM »
Everyone's gutted by yesterdays result, but if we had drawn 3-3 Swansea and beaten Cardiff 2-1 we would be in exactly the same position as we are now and we would all be feeling much more optimistic

Very good point.

We need 36 points, another 7 in total.  It doesn't matter how we get them. 

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #79 on: March 30, 2014, 03:32:57 PM »
That's Fulham as good as gone.  No way will they get 12 pts from 6 games to get to 36.  Cardiff would need 10 from 6 including Palace at home and Sunderland away. Unlikely. I think they are gone as well.

Sunderland have games in hand and let's hope they don't beat West Ham tomorrow. Our game against them and their game v Cardiff could be crucial.

Whilst winning our 6-pointers v Norwich and Sunderland would be massive, avoiding defeat is also crucial.

Squeaky bottom time.

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #80 on: March 30, 2014, 03:36:22 PM »
This team doesn't have it in it to get 2 or 3 more wins.

Norwich are excellent at home, they're abysmal away, though we did somehow manage to lose to them. If we can't beat the worst away sides in the division at home in Fulham and Cardiff, quite why any would expect us to go to Norwich next week and get 3 points is beyond me - frankly given our away form expecting a draw is bordering on delusional.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #81 on: March 30, 2014, 03:51:22 PM »
Norwich are unbeaten in their last six games at home having recorded three wins and three draws, beating sides in mid-table and taking four points off Man City and Tottenham.

They have taken 24 points at home, picking up 6 wins and 6 draws to go along with their four defeats. They don't concede many either, only conceding 12 which is the 4th best in the division behind Man City, Chelsea and Arsenal. They don't score many either, they have only managed 15, the third worst in the division.

We've taken 12 points away from home this season picking up two wins to go alongside our six draws. We've scored 17 but conceded 26.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

wbasoprano

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #82 on: March 30, 2014, 04:34:04 PM »

Cardiff would be on 25 and not 26, so our position would be stronger, but that's a fair point otherwise.

Having had a day to reflect on it I still feel we have a chance, but we have to turn these draws into wins.
Allllllll aboard

Jack Russell

• WBA Coach

« Reply #83 on: March 30, 2014, 04:48:55 PM »

Norwich are excellent at home, they're abysmal away, though we did somehow manage to lose to them. If we can't beat the worst away sides in the division at home in Fulham and Cardiff, quite why any would expect us to go to Norwich next week and get 3 points is beyond me - frankly given our away form expecting a draw is bordering on delusional.

Lets just hope nerves get the better of Norwich
WOOF WOOF  I always come I always care but sometimes bite

Greenock Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #84 on: March 30, 2014, 06:19:14 PM »
I think anyone who saw yesterdays FIASCO knows deep down we are heading only 1 way !!
He's a lad from the Wrenna

GrGr

• WBA Coach

« Reply #85 on: March 30, 2014, 06:24:58 PM »

Football is a funny game. I would have been surprised if we had gone and beaten Hull and Cardiff comfortably. It would not surprise me if we went and won 1-0 at Carrow Road. Norwich is a mid-low-table team which means that any game can go any way. Teams like us and Norwich simply aren't good enough to be consistently good.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #86 on: March 30, 2014, 06:25:33 PM »
I think anyone who saw yesterdays FIASCO knows deep down we are heading only 1 way !!
24 hours on i don't think fiasco is the right phrase mate , generally we played well .
Saido made a poor mistake in imo 3-2 to us would have been about right , OGS admitted Mutch's was a fluky cross post match. I'm more upset with Caulkers goal for 2-2 getting the better of Gmac and Dawson , you can never say for certain but Olsson and Yacob could make a big difference.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #87 on: March 30, 2014, 07:43:40 PM »
We are staying up

Boing Boing
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

johnthebaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #88 on: March 30, 2014, 07:48:02 PM »
Not sure what to think in truth, each time we are let down I try to glean positives for the remaining games. The only plus point from yesterday is that we are still three points clear with fewer games left, although I do expect Sunderland to win tomorrow.

A lot depends on how the players react to that giveaway as to whether we can stay up. If they are up for a fight then we might just get the points. Fact is, we have been found wanting so many times that even the most ardent glass half full supporter will have doubts.

It's been a rubbish season and a half, so many poor decisions from the Chairman down to the sock fiasco, everyone has been at fault.

Stay up or go down, after Saturday I am seriously past caring, I will always have a season ticket so it is irrelevant what league we are in. All I want is for the club to go back to basics and start to feel like a positive place again.

All us fans have is the hope that Albion will start to perform and win again, but slowly over the last fifteen months, even the hope is disappearing.

A big thanks should go to the Chairman, the board, the players and the various coaches for constantly letting 20000 people down.

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #89 on: March 30, 2014, 08:05:14 PM »
Who would have thought Palace would beat Chelsea?  We must be positive and believe we can stay up.

We were without 5 players and they will all return before the season end.

Cardiff and Fulham look buried so we only have to edge above one more team, which currently is Sunderland.  Tomorrow night is a critical match.

Of course we can beat Norwich. 

Avonbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #90 on: March 30, 2014, 08:40:26 PM »
If we were in the relegation zone i might agree we are going down but we aren't! Tomorrow's game between Sunderland and West Ham is a massive game and i would say they are the one team who will influence if we stay up or not as Cardiff and Fulham look gone!

HampshireBaggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #91 on: March 30, 2014, 08:56:08 PM »
I agree it's down to us or Sunderland

Sunderland remaining fixtures

Sunderland vs West Ham
Tottenham vs Sunderland
Sunderland vs Everton
Man City vs Sunderland
Chelsea vs Sunderland
Sunderland vs Cardiff
Man Utd vs Sunderland
Sunderland vs WBA
Sunderland vs Swansea

Sunderland have got some tough games there. I think their only winnable games are West Ham, Cardiff, us and Swansea.

They have a habit of doing poorly at home especially under pressure. Can see them picking up 5 more points and us doing the same. It will come down to our match with them and the last day of season.

graka

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #92 on: March 30, 2014, 09:38:30 PM »
its all ifs buts and maybes but after the weekends results I honestly believe 3 points yesterday would have kept us up. if Norwich beat us they are all but safe so I would look to play a really tight game and frustrate them. obviously a win for us would be massive. Cardiff play palace next week so its either palace being safe or Cardiff back in it and dragging palace back into it. if Cardiff don't win they are gone along with Fulham probabley leaving the last place between us,sunderland and maybe palace or Norwich depending on next weeks results.

Aixelsyd

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #93 on: March 30, 2014, 10:15:21 PM »
Yes we are.....
On a roundel paly of thirteen argent and azure a missel thrush perched on a hawthorn branch leaved and fructed proper.

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #94 on: March 30, 2014, 10:24:04 PM »
Yes we are.....

Why be negative though? 

We have 5 players to come back.  It's a repeat of 04/05 for me, when we achieved only 6 wins and 16 draws with 3 poor teams below us.

Our current team is better than the 04/05 version.

johnthebaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #95 on: March 30, 2014, 10:31:39 PM »
Why be negative though? 

We have 5 players to come back.  It's a repeat of 04/05 for me, when we achieved only 6 wins and 16 draws with 3 poor teams below us.

Our current team is better than the 04/05 version.
That may be so, but we had a team of battlers and a degree of momentum in the run in, neither of which we have this season.

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #96 on: March 30, 2014, 10:36:02 PM »
That may be so, but we had a team of battlers and a degree of momentum in the run in, neither of which we have this season.

The simple fact is if we beat Norwich on Saturday then we go above them!!!  They then travel to Fulham with an appalling away record and the last 4 are all top sides.

Norwich are on 32, it's conceivable they only get 3 / 4 points from now on.

Aixelsyd

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #97 on: March 30, 2014, 10:46:31 PM »
The simple fact is if we beat Norwich on Saturday then we go above them!!!  They then travel to Fulham with an appalling away record and the last 4 are all top sides.

Norwich are on 32, it's conceivable they only get 3 / 4 points from now on.

What you actually believe we can beat a team that is actually trying?

Our players are seemingly happy to be relegated and some seem to be actively try to make it happen...

On a roundel paly of thirteen argent and azure a missel thrush perched on a hawthorn branch leaved and fructed proper.

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #98 on: March 30, 2014, 10:55:13 PM »
What you actually believe we can beat a team that is actually trying?

Our players are seemingly happy to be relegated and some seem to be actively try to make it happen...

What's done is done.  We can't take your attitude as there's no point driving to Carrow Rd.

Aixelsyd

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #99 on: March 30, 2014, 11:22:08 PM »
What's done is done.  We can't take your attitude as there's no point driving to Carrow Rd.

sorry, but up until Saturday, I thought like you and was positive about surviving....

but after watching that, I am no longer am prepared to ignore the tragedy that is unfolding