Author Topic: Tony Pulis  (Read 5134722 times)

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

Re: Tony Pulis
« Reply #19000 on: November 03, 2020, 10:33:52 AM »
We didn't use Pulis as a foundation to build from.

He came in and shattered everything that was already falling apart and then we shattered everything he'd put in place (a team capable of meeting the physical demands of the Premier League) when we appointed Pardew.

All in all it's just one waste of time after another. We need an identity. Pulis isn't the man to do that.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #19001 on: November 03, 2020, 12:35:03 PM »
I felt Pulis did exactly what he was meant to with us. The problem is we fell into the typical Pulis trap and gave him too much money and power. It's not his fault the club struggled, it was doing it before him and did so after him.

Having said that, you need to move on. He's no miracle worker and if we did get a new manager it wouldn't be him.

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #19002 on: November 03, 2020, 12:45:35 PM »
To put it simply, I would stop following the club if Pulis ever returned until such time that he left again. His approach is the complete antithesis of my personal footballing ideology. Him and his managerial ilk should be forever consigned to the dustbin of history.

Agree with this mostly. The only difference is if we appointed him, this time I wouldn't be back when he left.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #19003 on: November 03, 2020, 12:53:07 PM »
And despite the hypothetical situation posed, we already have a current incumbent in the post.

Feel free to discuss Pulis' time with us - but given the managerial chair is already occupied, we won't be having that discussion in this thread..

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #19004 on: November 03, 2020, 01:29:10 PM »
Aside from the results, I actually felt I needed to excuse myself for being an Albion fan when Pulis got into his stride.  Yes, he ground out the odd 0-0 or even a 1-0, but it is the damage he did to the club's footballing reputation which was worst.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #19005 on: November 03, 2020, 02:04:15 PM »
And despite the hypothetical situation posed, we already have a current incumbent in the post.

Feel free to discuss Pulis' time with us - but given the managerial chair is already occupied, we won't be having that discussion in this thread..

Sorry Liam, it's PPSD - Post Pulis Stress Disorder!  :D

Just the thought of him angries up the blood.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #19006 on: November 03, 2020, 02:32:01 PM »
the bloke should be locked up for football crimes, never in a million years should he be allowed back in football
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

baggie53

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #19007 on: November 03, 2020, 07:31:26 PM »
At a slight tangent but indirectly still about Pulis

Does anyone think Soccer Saturday is an improvement with Pulis, Sue Smith and Clinton Morrison  :o :o

At least Thommo, LeTiss and Charlie Nicholas were entertaining with their banter, even when the football was pants
Vorwärts die Breiten Hosen !

Westie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #19008 on: November 03, 2020, 09:19:34 PM »
Soccer Saturday is now, in my opinion, unwatchable. They should put subtitles on when Morrison speaks, and the other two are seriously irritating, not to mention boring.

eddiethebeagle

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #19009 on: November 03, 2020, 10:24:49 PM »
Agree completely.

As soon as Pulis starts talking I just stop listening. Had such a blinkered view of players when managing us and I imagine still does.

Soccer Saturday overall is indeed basically unwatchable now but it definitely isn’t all down to Pulis being on it, he’s just a contributor!!

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #19010 on: November 04, 2020, 11:07:25 AM »
Agree completely.

As soon as Pulis starts talking I just stop listening. Had such a blinkered view of players when managing us and I imagine still does.

Soccer Saturday overall is indeed basically unwatchable now but it definitely isn’t all down to Pulis being on it, he’s just a contributor!!

I would love to get Jeffs honest opinion, he must find it sooo hard to make that entertaining.
How to kill a program 101 !!!
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #19011 on: November 04, 2020, 11:57:20 AM »
My Wolves mate was raging about him the other week when he watched it.

Stelling asked Pulis how Gibbs-White was playing for Swansea, as the Dingles have him on loan there. Pulis didn't seem to know which one he was, made some incredibly bland comments, and just called every player 'the lad'.

Hopefully him doing that show will expose him for what we all know about him.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #19012 on: November 04, 2020, 12:42:41 PM »
My Wolves mate..........

I don't know whether it's just me but I have to look twice when Albion supporters open a line with 'my Wolves/Villa mate'. Just never reads correctly somehow. Colleague, former colleague, associate or bloke down the pub who supports delete as appropriate seem more appropriate, well they do for me anyway ;D .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #19013 on: November 04, 2020, 12:45:45 PM »
At a slight tangent but indirectly still about Pulis

Does anyone think Soccer Saturday is an improvement with Pulis, Sue Smith and Clinton Morrison  :o :o

At least Thommo, LeTiss and Charlie Nicholas were entertaining with their banter, even when the football was pants

As others have said, totally unwatchable now - all have the personality and presenting skills of a traffic cone. The old formula was compulsive viewing.......and great fun.
MAGA!

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #19014 on: November 04, 2020, 02:21:21 PM »
As others have said, totally unwatchable now - all have the personality and presenting skills of a traffic cone. The old formula was compulsive viewing.......and great fun.

panel of good old boys more watchable than panel of androgynous metropersons shocker ! :o
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #19015 on: November 04, 2020, 02:34:31 PM »
panel of good old boys more watchable than panel of androgynous metropersons shocker ! :o

Not quite the phrase I would have used, but very true......
MAGA!

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #19016 on: November 13, 2020, 07:03:54 PM »
Don Howson (Sheffield Wednesday writer) Tweeted

Confirmation: Tony Pulis is Wednesday's new manager. #SWFC

Running a #SWFC web chat following Tony Pulis's appointment as manager. I would love to hear from you. Get your questions in now.

Gather Tony Pulis is set to meet his new squad for the first time tomorrow. #SWFC
« Last Edit: November 13, 2020, 07:06:59 PM by AlbionFan »
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #19017 on: November 13, 2020, 09:47:49 PM »
I'm absolutely staggered that Pulis has been given another job, the Sheff Wed board must have taken leave of its senses. The Board and the fans can now suffer through his stifling anti-football for the remainder of the season. No offence to the fans, who deserve much better, but I hope Sheff Wed are relegated having taken this step back into prehistoric football.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #19018 on: November 14, 2020, 12:05:00 AM »
I'm surprised Pulis has taken himself off easy street on Soccer Saturday to be honest , I also feel after Boro that he might just have a bit too old now .
I still believe in his prime when a club was desperate he was one of the best at drilling the basics back into a side and being very hard to beat , yes there was some dire games but we had some decent spells under him too that many forget .
He had a time limit though and we went a year over that !

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #19019 on: November 14, 2020, 01:48:20 AM »
It's a good appointment for a basket case club, whether he can do any more than keep them up remains to be seen.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #19020 on: November 14, 2020, 08:28:16 AM »
I'm surprised Pulis has taken himself off easy street on Soccer Saturday to be honest , I also feel after Boro that he might just have a bit too old now .
I still believe in his prime when a club was desperate he was one of the best at drilling the basics back into a side and being very hard to beat , yes there was some dire games but we had some decent spells under him too that many forget .
He had a time limit though and we went a year over that !

One word Dexy - money

And so the Pulis plan begins. Decent length contract, save the club, gain the plaudits, mess it up and get the sack with a pay off.

Feel sorry for them (a bit, not much)
MAGA!

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #19021 on: November 14, 2020, 09:10:56 AM »
One word Dexy - money

And so the Pulis plan begins. Decent length contract, save the club, gain the plaudits, mess it up and get the sack with a pay off.

Feel sorry for them (a bit, not much)
I don't think he's short on money mate unless his Mrs spends it all  ;D
In fairness it's a huge club on it's knees , a typical Pulis rescue act club.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2020, 09:12:28 AM by Dexy »

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #19022 on: November 14, 2020, 11:02:22 AM »
Pulisball was made for games played behind closed doors wished his time with us had been played behind closed doors and only available on PPV.

In Sheffield Wednesday's position they have nothing to lose but I am not even sure he can pull off a rescue job anymore.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #19023 on: November 14, 2020, 11:04:45 AM »
I’ll always say Pulis did a job for us when needed but unfortunately stayed a few months too long.

Far far from anywhere near one of our worse managers.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #19024 on: November 14, 2020, 11:12:35 AM »
I don't think he's short on money mate unless his Mrs spends it all  ;D
In fairness it's a huge club on it's knees , a typical Pulis rescue act club.

He was a bit short a few years ago when Crystal Palace won their case I think, but good old Albion probably made that go away with a generous pay off.

You are probably right but he must be thinking of hanging his cap up soon so this would be a nice contribution to his fund.

At least the Owls fans dont have the chance to witness the anti football in person [in the short term anyway]

He will do a job for them though, I have no doubt about that.
MAGA!