Author Topic: Tony Pulis  (Read 5177450 times)

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

Re: Tony Pulis
« Reply #18975 on: January 03, 2020, 07:55:59 PM »
“David Beckham to appoint Anthony Pulis - son of former Premier League manager Tony - as Inter Miami coach”

Let’s hope is footballing philosophy is different to his old man

Bit of a drop after some of the big names previously linked with the job
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #18976 on: January 03, 2020, 08:55:02 PM »
Pulis is a swear word which should be banned from this site.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #18977 on: January 03, 2020, 09:24:19 PM »
Pulis is a swear word which should be banned from this site.

Have you?  :D
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

johnnyg

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #18978 on: January 03, 2020, 10:59:30 PM »
Look back on the thread, lads.  Plenty on there who thought the sun shone out of his rear end, and wouldn't hear a bad word against him.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #18979 on: January 04, 2020, 08:55:04 AM »
I had and still have no problem with him , If you don't know who he really is and what he really  does then you follow the wrong sport .
He was one of few people capable of saving us after the Irvine / Burton mess that Peace created on top of the Pepe Mel episode , you don't appoint Pulis and expect to play like Brazil .
You also don't keep him on too long once he's steadied the ship and unlike John Williams you don't let him spend money left , right and centre!

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #18980 on: January 04, 2020, 09:08:38 AM »
I had and still have no problem with him , If you don't know who he really is and what he really  does then you follow the wrong sport .
He was one of few people capable of saving us after the Irvine / Burton mess that Peace created on top of the Pepe Mel episode , you don't appoint Pulis and expect to play like Brazil .
You also don't keep him on too long once he's steadied the ship and unlike John Williams you don't let him spend money left , right and centre!
very well put, I gave up my season ticket because the entertainment value was not there, but you know what he does, how he does it and should respect his record .
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #18981 on: January 05, 2020, 02:49:47 PM »

I did not buy this at the time I am not even sure it was worth saving us from the what the fan base regarded as the inevitable relegation where are we now?

However even accepting that Pulis was the only man to save us the problem was always the longer term. Keeping us up in the first season gave him the right to "his own players" and the protection  of the "careful what you wish for narrative"

West Ham went through the same process with Moyes but had the sense to only bring him in for a short period only go full circle in the space of 18 months, without fixing anything very much.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #18982 on: January 05, 2020, 04:18:03 PM »
I think Pulis represented all that is bad about the game. As for discipline and work ethic, yes that should be a given without needing to stick 9 men behind the ball.

Hope his son has a few progressive ideas of his own, otherwise he will help kill the game off as a spectator sport in the States. 
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #18983 on: January 05, 2020, 06:14:54 PM »
I did not buy this at the time I am not even sure it was worth saving us from the what the fan base regarded as the inevitable relegation where are we now?

However even accepting that Pulis was the only man to save us the problem was always the longer term. Keeping us up in the first season gave him the right to "his own players" and the protection  of the "careful what you wish for narrative"

West Ham went through the same process with Moyes but had the sense to only bring him in for a short period only go full circle in the space of 18 months, without fixing anything very much.
Of course it was , for better or for worse staying up is everything . Yes we'd all like to build like Leicester did but after Clarke as I posted  we made a right pigs ear with Mel and Irivine . Whatever you think of Pulis keeping up a squad with the likes of Blanco , Davidson and Samaras was not to be sniffed at . Then to change that squad from the above to Fletcher , Evans , Rondon etc....again thats a sucess on the money we can offer .
He's a 2 year fixer , he's damn good at it too ( or was ) . Sadly we let him stay too long and gave him players he should never have had .
Could you imagine had we been relegated and being stuck with those players from the Irvine/Burton era ?

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #18984 on: January 05, 2020, 06:21:47 PM »

Honestly if we had been relegated at that point, it might have been better for the club. It would have meant Peace having to accept one of two scenarios:

1/ sell the club for a lower amount to a more interested party;

2/ put a new long-term plan in place to get us up and secure his investment

Either one would probably mean we'd be in a very different place now.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #18985 on: January 08, 2020, 08:52:06 AM »

I am in your camp.

If you read my posts when he was appointed, I welcomed the appointment after such an horrendous appointment in Irvine, simply put, we needed him to come in and keep us afloat because we had wasted a transfer window in signing the likes of Gamboa, Davidson, Gardner etc. However, you know when you make that appointment that once you have reached the safety mark, it becomes time to move on from him and that is what we should have done and is what I called for quite vociferously as people will undoubtedly recall  ;D

Getting rid of him in the May of the final year we survived and bringing in someone else at that point whilst our stock was quite high was the way forward, instead Williams gave him another contract despite it being quite clear that his message was not getting through to the players any longer who had managed to survive three years of his antiquated methods. Instead, we backed him in the transfer market, waited until it was too late to bring in a manager of any worth and ultimately cost ourselves Premier League status.

Jack Thrust

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #18986 on: January 08, 2020, 09:31:09 AM »
waited until it was too late to bring in a manager of any worth and ultimately cost ourselves Premier League status.

This is a biggie for me too. If I remember rightly Crystal Palace appointed a certain Mr Hodgson a few weeks before we finally booted out Pulis. This really irritated me at the time as I really rate Roy and I'm sure bringing him back would have helped galvanise the fanbase too. Ho hum.
Astle is the King

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #18987 on: January 08, 2020, 11:43:58 AM »
Pulisball was so stultifyingly awful that the fans were drifting away and it was unattractive for players thinking of joining the club - unless of course you were a centre half in which case we had 3 or 4 of those on the pitch at the same time. 

Can you imagine how Pereira would enjoy it if he was just watching the ball flying over his head to a lone centre forward and was incessantly barked at to chase after the ball for ninety minutes?

Following what  FallOutBoy wrote on this thread, had we gone down earlier Peace would not have been able to make such a killing when selling the club and might have been compelled to sell to someone who had the club's interest at heart.
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #18988 on: January 08, 2020, 11:57:51 AM »
Have we lost the Pulis stigma yet attached to our name and brand of football? It took Stoke years to shed it.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #18989 on: January 08, 2020, 12:30:58 PM »
Have we lost the Pulis stigma yet attached to our name and brand of football? It took Stoke years to shed it.

Course we have, it was such a daft thin to argue over.  Just like Wolves have lost their stigma after the Mad Mick years.

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #18990 on: November 03, 2020, 06:55:10 AM »
If Pulis came back on board tomorrow would he keep us up? Would you accept him back for the greater good?

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #18991 on: November 03, 2020, 07:08:11 AM »
If Pulis came back on board tomorrow would he keep us up? Would you accept him back for the greater good?

No, we have to accept relegation is part of a more attractive style, we got promoted without a solid spine to the team, this season was always going to be difficult, the results since Christmas have not been good enough, I'll leave it to more knowledgeable people than me as to who would do a better job than Bilic, but Pulis would be a mis step, particularly with this squad.
Baggie in Southampton

Brooklynbaggie

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #18992 on: November 03, 2020, 07:26:26 AM »
Pereira is wasted out wide as it is never mind in a back 8!!

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #18993 on: November 03, 2020, 07:43:56 AM »
Absolutely not !! Not just because of the type of football served up but things went on around other things e.g transfers , agents  etc that we will never all details about that dragged this club downwards
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #18994 on: November 03, 2020, 08:22:57 AM »
No, No and NO!
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #18995 on: November 03, 2020, 08:51:19 AM »
Don't think there are any fans that would accept Pulis coming back, with a couple of obvious exceptions.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #18996 on: November 03, 2020, 08:55:12 AM »

Would rather watch us in the Vanarama league that see his dark spectre back......
MAGA!

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #18997 on: November 03, 2020, 09:00:47 AM »

1. I have absolutely no idea.

2. No.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #18998 on: November 03, 2020, 09:20:44 AM »
To put it simply, I would stop following the club if Pulis ever returned until such time that he left again. His approach is the complete antithesis of my personal footballing ideology. Him and his managerial ilk should be forever consigned to the dustbin of history.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #18999 on: November 03, 2020, 10:10:05 AM »
No definitely not. You only suffer Pulis once. If the club fails to take advantage of the improvement he provides, (Ie. By appointing Alan Pardew) then it's tough luck.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.