Author Topic: 18 Aug 2018 Albion 7 Queens Park Rangers 1  (Read 45431 times)

CL3MO

• Senior Baggie

Re: After Match Debate
« Reply #225 on: August 18, 2018, 07:09:19 PM »
Fantastic second half performance, albeit against a QPR team doing their best impression of Sunday league team turning up after a night on the lash. What a joy to watch players making runs, fluid in their movement and the front players running their absolute knackers off.

Barnes looks an absolute class act. Looks like he has a touch of Koumas about him when he's running with the ball.

Livermore had his best game in an Albion shirt I felt.

But it was Gayle who really impressed me. His movement, runs, link up play and pressing was first class. He actually looks a better player than I thought. Much better than a simple poacher, which I admit is what I thought he was.

Only slight negative is the poor subs. We had the game won. Bring the kids on and give them some much needed game time! However, we'll let Moore off as HRK chipped in with a goal and an assist  ;D

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #226 on: August 18, 2018, 07:10:35 PM »
Fantastic second half performance, albeit against a QPR team doing their best impression of Sunday league team turning up after a night on the lash. What a joy to watch players making runs, fluid in their movement and the front players running their absolute knackers off.

Barnes looks an absolute class act. Looks like he has a touch of Koumas about him when he's running with the ball.

Livermore had his best game in an Albion shirt I felt.

But it was Gayle who really impressed me. His movement, runs, link up play and pressing was first class. He actually looks a better player than I thought. Much better than a simple poacher, which I admit is what I thought he was.

Only slight negative is the poor subs. We had the game won. Bring the kids on and give them some much needed game time! However, we'll let Moore off as HRK chipped in with a goal and an assist  ;D

I was going to say the same thing. He seems to have a better application than Koumas though.

What a prospect he is.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #227 on: August 18, 2018, 07:32:45 PM »
Excellent result

Well done to Darren Moore for doing something different - that formation suits us to the ground as it enables us to get more from Barnes, Rodriguez, Gayle and Gibbs who provides great width out wide.

Goals were extremely well taken - some good football in the build up to them.

I have to say, QPR are garbage. One of the worst sides I've seen in a long while.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

BigFrank20

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #228 on: August 18, 2018, 07:33:01 PM »
Just smash it down field Sam.
No,no,no,no,no.no this was the classic pullis tactic that just results in it coming straight back at us all the time.
I'd take Sam's method of distribution over Fosters all day long especially as some of his kicking isn't particularly that good 
BoingBoing, a Baggie born and a Baggie I shall die (one day)

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #229 on: August 18, 2018, 07:39:14 PM »
No,no,no,no,no.no this was the classic pullis tactic that just results in it coming straight back at us all the time.
I'd take Sam's method of distribution over Fosters all day long especially as some of his kicking isn't particularly that good

You've mis-quoted me. I said smash it down field or play it along the ground. These 30-40 yard dinks that either go out of play, or put our players under pressure are what he needs to cut out.  They cost us the ball just as much as kicking it down field, only in a much worse area of the pitch.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #230 on: August 18, 2018, 07:57:46 PM »
I thought we were going to be bury them during the first 10 minutes but we lost our way a little as the first half progressed. Ultimately at half time I was thinking QPR while not world beaters weren't as bad as I had been lead to believe.

Once we got ahead they fell to pieces which is what turned it from a comfortable win to an absolute thrashing.

On the basis of the last couple of performances it looks like we won't have a problem scoring goals how well we do is probably down to how effective we are cutting out the silly goals. 
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

east-stand-nick

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #231 on: August 18, 2018, 09:09:45 PM »
What a score to wake up to before my night shift. Just bought my first match ticket of the season for Stoke and I'm actually looking forward to it...

BaggieBoy04

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #232 on: August 18, 2018, 09:15:52 PM »
Thought it finished 3-1 I missed four goals Stupid text updates.
Albion Pride Of The Black Country

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #233 on: August 18, 2018, 09:30:44 PM »
An absolute battering delivered with pace and flair. Cheers Darren!  8)
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

keithowba86

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #234 on: August 18, 2018, 09:49:25 PM »
i think we may have seen the beginning of the end of chris brunt with him being subbed off... just a matter of time before he's not in the 11

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #235 on: August 18, 2018, 10:21:50 PM »
I'm absolutely delighted with today's result, albeit against an opposition that was clearly desperately poor in the second half. I'm sure we'd have to go back a long way to find the last time Albion scored 11 goals in 2 consecutive league games. There's still room for improvement though and the substitutions made today felt like a missed opportunity.

I'll put my hand up for previously questioning whether certain players would be up for it this season. Phillips is playing excellently and  Gayle is proving to be a revelation. Although Gayle's only scored once, many of our goals are the result of things that he's doing.

Extremely well done to the coaching team and the players.

Nothing would please me more than for us to go up to Middlesbrough on Friday and put one over on Pulis. I'll be made up if we can do that.

jamesh_91

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #236 on: August 18, 2018, 10:38:13 PM »
i think we may have seen the beginning of the end of chris brunt with him being subbed off... just a matter of time before he's not in the 11

I hope that's the case. Give Gareth Barry the shirt. His head is in the right place now hopefully after his loss.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #237 on: August 18, 2018, 10:44:38 PM »
All about opinions , I thought he was pulling the strings at key times Today although I'd agree he probably doesn't have many years left.

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #238 on: August 18, 2018, 10:53:04 PM »
All about opinions , I thought he was pulling the strings at key times Today although I'd agree he probably doesn't have many years left.

I thought Barry showed more solidity in the brief time he was on than Brunt has at any time in the centre. Has a decent pass on him as well which we're crying out for in the middle. Got to be demoralising for players when a coach puts a player out of position ahead of 4 natural central midfielders (Barry, Morrison, Harper, Field) and the player doesn't justify it.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #239 on: August 18, 2018, 10:56:04 PM »
I thought Barry showed more solidity in the brief time he was on than Brunt has at any time in the centre. Has a decent pass on him as well which we're crying out for in the middle. Got to be demoralising for players when a coach puts a player out of position ahead of 4 natural central midfielders (Barry, Morrison, Harper, Field) and the player doesn't justify it.

The player does justify it though...
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #240 on: August 18, 2018, 11:05:10 PM »

The player does justify it though...

In your opinion, certainly not in mine and it seems increasingly numbers of others.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #241 on: August 18, 2018, 11:08:25 PM »
Barry at nearly 40 wouldn't be near the side for me , in fairness I think Brunt was much better with the change of system Today . Got away some killer balls although I accept we won't play that sort of defence every week

petethebaggie

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #242 on: August 18, 2018, 11:14:56 PM »
I'm not going to stop banging on about it but Gareth Barry just oozed class when he came on. I would really like him to play in place of Brunt. Would be the perfect player to play away at Middlesborough.
Barry did well when he came on he looked to pass forward and did so with quality I would give him a start v. Boro
Swansea Semi Final Playoffs 1993...we know who we are!

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #243 on: August 18, 2018, 11:20:06 PM »
Barry at nearly 40 wouldn't be near the side for me , in fairness I think Brunt was much better with the change of system Today . Got away some killer balls although I accept we won't play that sort of defence every week

Have to disagree mate, I think he is one of the weak links, Livermore today was the one who for me suited the change in style more.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #244 on: August 18, 2018, 11:22:38 PM »
Have to disagree mate, I think he is one of the weak links, Livermore today was the one who for me suited the change in style more.
Thats fine , this is a forum and I respect your opinion . All about respectful debate . :)

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #245 on: August 18, 2018, 11:27:39 PM »
Thats fine , this is a forum and I respect your opinion . All about respectful debate . :)

:D If only eh !!!

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #246 on: August 18, 2018, 11:56:38 PM »
Walking back to my car today and a kid on the street in Clarence road asked me what the result was - 7-1  I said, 'Are you kidding me?' he asked. 'No' I said... and felt so pleased :)

Superb performance today, makes me proud to be Albion. A couple of points;

1. If you booed Barry when he came on you should be ashamed of yourself.

2. Taking absolutely nothing away from the Albion who really did put them to the sword, but I thought QPR were unfit. Their two centre backs were right porkers......as were a few others. Taxi for McLaren for sure.

My MOM was Gibbs, with an honourable mention to Gayle for persistence... he was like a right annoying wasp!

and Harvey Barnes.....well  ;D
MAGA!

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #247 on: August 19, 2018, 12:08:45 AM »
Just got back home, Fantastic result!

That QPR team is poor though. We were actually quite sloppy at times.

The first 10 minutes we were excellent and looked like we could hammer them, but a few breaks in the game seemed to stifle us. Really poor defending again for the equaliser.  I don't know if we changed from 4 at the back to 3 at the back before the equaliser or after but there was a noticeable change in shape.

Second half we did what we threatened to do at the start of the first and they just collapsed. They couldn't handle us going forward and we seemed like we could score at will. Harvey Barnes is some player.

The subs were strange though. What do we learn by getting Barry, Kanu and Morrison on the pitch when we are cruising? We missed a perfect chance to get Burke and Field minutes in a game that was won.
No change in shape at all. We played 3-4-1-2 throughout!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 12:10:53 AM by OldburyWBA »

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #248 on: August 19, 2018, 12:14:55 AM »
We didn’t. Tosin was definitely at right back to begin with. Then moved between Hegazi and Bartley.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #249 on: August 19, 2018, 12:18:20 AM »
Agree the silly yellow card followed by arguing with the ref when all could see it was a foul, the many times he let the ball bounce rather than attack it, the lack of energy to get to some of the 50/50's
I think he will be on the bench within 6 matches
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..