Author Topic: Daniel Sturridge (Loan 17/18)  (Read 106193 times)

kamarasboot

• Youth Baggie

Re: Daniel Sturridge Joins Albion On Loan
« Reply #275 on: February 13, 2018, 12:07:07 AM »
It was obvious that our main problem this season has been finding a clinical forward able to convert chances into goals. If I had been manager, and was offered Deeney, Slimani, Akobe or Sturridge, I would have bitten your arm off for Sturridge, despite his injury record. He has scored alot of goals at Premier League level, he is still young and he is an England international. From what I read he is also very motivated. His injury record is a risk, but I think it was a necessary risk. If we can get 7 or 8 goals out of him, that could make the difference.

On reputation yes, but then you look at the reality and you’d be naive not to expect to lose him through injury, motivated or not.

I believe the biggest problem with Sturridge is 75% of it is in his head. It’s almost like he’s waiting to get injured
"He can dish it out, but He cannot take it", I once heard someone say of me. And it's true - I serve school dinners and I'm allergic to mashed potatoes.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #276 on: February 13, 2018, 12:13:37 AM »
The fly in the ointment with the Sturridge signing was the classic "If we can keep him fit" line that prefaced everything that was ever said about him. We have been plainly nursing him a little which is why he was pulled off after an hour against Southampton in a game we were chasing.

If he has done his hamstring that will be him out probably for the next two games. 
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #277 on: February 13, 2018, 12:15:24 AM »
The fly in the ointment with the Sturridge signing was the classic "If we can keep him fit" line that prefaced everything that was ever said about him. We have been plainly nursing him a little which is why he was pulled off after an hour against Southampton in a game we were chasing.

If he has done his hamstring that will be him out probably for the next two games.

He's still a small glimmer of hope for me. His return should coincide with Chadli's which would give us a massive boost going into the last 9 or 10 games.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

kamarasboot

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #278 on: February 13, 2018, 12:20:23 AM »

He's still a small glimmer of hope for me. His return should coincide with Chadli's which would give us a massive boost going into the last 9 or 10 games.

Be interesting to see when Chadli’s fit and if sturridge is fit what they play like - however could very much be a ‘Bullseye’ moment - “here’s what you could have won” which would be even more frustrating
"He can dish it out, but He cannot take it", I once heard someone say of me. And it's true - I serve school dinners and I'm allergic to mashed potatoes.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #279 on: February 13, 2018, 12:22:17 AM »
Be interesting to see when Chadli’s fit and if sturridge is fit what they play like - however could very much be a ‘Bullseye’ moment - “here’s what you could have won” which would be even more frustrating

Yeah. For it to matter we have to somehow pick up wins against Huddersfield and Watford
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

kamarasboot

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #280 on: February 13, 2018, 12:27:22 AM »

Yeah. For it to matter we have to somehow pick up wins against Huddersfield and Watford

I just have no faith that we will at the moment, said in another post a while ago Pardews tenure is very reminiscent of Mowbrays, decent style but a soft under belly. Huddersfield and Watford both look like they’re up for the fight.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #281 on: February 13, 2018, 08:54:54 AM »
The bloke's made of balsa wood.
Can't blame Pardew or even Williams for it though, he was fit at the time and head and shoulders above anyone else we could attract.
Just think he's weak minded, same as Sick Vic, first twinge of pain and he's off. Not what we need in a dogfight.
That being said, the ones that were left on showed no more teeth. How weak was that shot from Rodriguez? He'd already missed, in his mind, before he pulled the trigger.
Fair play to Rondon, he's not a great striker, but he puts himself about and gets battered from pillar to post yet is still available virtually every week.

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #282 on: February 13, 2018, 08:55:48 AM »
Slightly off topic but sure it came out last week that neither Chadli or Morrison are anywhere near yet? Sure it said Chadli isnt even back on the training pitch.

*NB - If i have imagined the above i need to have a long hard look at myself why i am dreaming about when Albions injured players are back*

Sturridge fits in with my view of Chadli - because of their injury records you cannot rely on them and you cannot build your team round them, all players risk getting injured but these two have a knack for it.

That is why with Sturridge i would have kept him on the bench for a bit, JRod had just started to hit form and him and Rondon were playing well, keep it that way knowing you potentially have a quality replacement on the bench.

On a side note i think too much hope is being placed on Chadli, the bloke is a talented football and no doubt the Pulis days didnt help him but he has probably had 5 or 6 good games since he joined us, maybe that would change under Pardew but i certainly wont be building my hopes on it.

Just my view but i dont think Chadli has fancied it since pre-season and expect him to go regardless if we stay up or go down, and i would be shocked if we see him play more than two games for us the rest of this season, i hope i am proved wrong.

DaveWBA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #283 on: February 13, 2018, 08:58:29 AM »
Sadly the fella is made of poppadums and is finished at the very top level.

One 50 yard sprint last night and now we're without him for a fortnight.

The Joust

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #284 on: February 13, 2018, 09:08:31 AM »
I actually laughed out loud when he hobbled off. You literally couldn't write it.

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #285 on: February 13, 2018, 09:46:36 AM »
I actually laughed out loud when he hobbled off. You literally couldn't write it.
You literally could

slate

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #286 on: February 13, 2018, 09:59:02 AM »

Yes, you know it's a risk when you read that preface. However it was a chance that we simply had to take. We are desperate for goals and I couldn't see any other decent options to go for.
Hopefully he will at least make the bench for the Watford game.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #287 on: February 13, 2018, 10:43:47 AM »
Where's Geoff 'I'll win this for you' Horsfield when you need him?
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #288 on: February 13, 2018, 01:03:10 PM »
As soon as he went off, my Wolves mate tweeted me "If he was a horse, he'd be glue by now". I can't help but agree.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #289 on: February 13, 2018, 01:04:37 PM »
Another waste of time an absolute wimp.

vrabbit

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #290 on: February 13, 2018, 03:38:54 PM »
Slightly off topic but sure it came out last week that neither Chadli or Morrison are anywhere near yet? Sure it said Chadli isnt even back on the training pitch.

*NB - If i have imagined the above i need to have a long hard look at myself why i am dreaming about when Albions injured players are back*

Sturridge fits in with my view of Chadli - because of their injury records you cannot rely on them and you cannot build your team round them, all players risk getting injured but these two have a knack for it.

That is why with Sturridge i would have kept him on the bench for a bit, JRod had just started to hit form and him and Rondon were playing well, keep it that way knowing you potentially have a quality replacement on the bench.

On a side note i think too much hope is being placed on Chadli, the bloke is a talented football and no doubt the Pulis days didnt help him but he has probably had 5 or 6 good games since he joined us, maybe that would change under Pardew but i certainly wont be building my hopes on it.

Just my view but i dont think Chadli has fancied it since pre-season and expect him to go regardless if we stay up or go down, and i would be shocked if we see him play more than two games for us the rest of this season, i hope i am proved wrong.

I said this before Sturridge's first start and nobody was having it, in the eyes of most he was supposed to be some kind of savior I guess. J-Rod was in top form, Rondon had had multiple good games prior to the City game (where everybody stunk), there was no need to rush Daniel into anything. Then again, the way he injured himself, you could had brought him in for the last 5 minutes of the game and he still would had gotten injured  ???

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #291 on: February 13, 2018, 03:41:56 PM »
A reckless signing that had about 10% chance of working , probably another reason why Williams got sacked.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #292 on: February 13, 2018, 04:49:07 PM »
Any news after his scan today?

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #293 on: February 13, 2018, 05:15:54 PM »
Any news after his scan today?
Apparently, he has no heart, balls, or guts.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

royhan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #294 on: February 13, 2018, 06:12:12 PM »

Love that comment

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #295 on: February 13, 2018, 06:30:24 PM »
Top forward till he started getting injury
After injury which has now brought him
to the brink of a early end to him playing top football. I think a long break along with gentle
training is called for & maybe next season
He may be more like the forward of old.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #296 on: February 13, 2018, 06:38:49 PM »

If that's true, why was he apparaently 'distraught' after coming off yesterday. 
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

WoysWunderful

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #297 on: February 13, 2018, 08:18:56 PM »
I dont understand what courage has to do with injuries?!

I've seen a lot of fans recently claiming players who are injured are bottlers etc and i think its disgusting

Every player wants to play football. Thats what they're life revolves around.

They're probably as upset maybe more than the fans.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #298 on: February 13, 2018, 08:24:51 PM »

that can't be right Sturridge won't be here next season
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #299 on: February 24, 2018, 12:35:54 AM »
Reported as being out for the Watford game.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.