Author Topic: Ben Foster  (Read 774641 times)

BB74

• Senior Baggie

Re: Ben Foster
« Reply #3375 on: July 13, 2022, 03:12:45 PM »
Ben Foster is back training with us.

Signing on a 1 year contract apparently.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3376 on: July 13, 2022, 03:14:32 PM »
If Foster does sign he has to be number 1.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3377 on: July 13, 2022, 03:35:13 PM »
Even at 39 would defintely be No.1 choice, with the cycling keeping him fit. Would give the team loads of leadership from the back.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3378 on: September 15, 2022, 05:26:36 PM »
Ben Foster just tweeted

It's time to say goodbye 👍😘

Think we’ve missed the boat.

Best wishes Ben, enjoy whatever chapter is next in your life and thank you for your service to the Baggies
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3379 on: September 15, 2022, 05:28:08 PM »
Fantastic GK in his prime. Also a fellow Baggie. Enjoy your retirement.

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3380 on: September 15, 2022, 05:53:37 PM »
Hope he has a good retirement!

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3381 on: September 15, 2022, 05:54:23 PM »
We could have done worse than give him a year long contract.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3382 on: September 15, 2022, 07:06:00 PM »
I've just watched the full podcast, and although he says he's retiring, he hasn't said he won't listen to any future offers. Its just he's not going out looking for any. He ruled out the Newcastle one because it would have meant a 4 hour journey and having to live away from his home.  I think we should at least sound him out.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3383 on: September 15, 2022, 07:12:24 PM »
I've just watched the full podcast, and although he says he's retiring, he hasn't said he won't listen to any future offers. Its just he's not going out looking for any. He ruled out the Newcastle one because it would have meant a 4 hour journey and having to live away from his home.  I think we should at least sound him out.

You do know he had one training session with the academy keepers, one, and he was wrecked for days afterwards?
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3384 on: September 15, 2022, 08:11:09 PM »
You do know he had one training session with the academy keepers, one, and he was wrecked for days afterwards?
But that's because he took a break for a couple of months, and then apparently tripped off his kid's scooter. In his podcast he says he feels in good nick.
Don't know what we have to lose offering him a short contract, unless we're confident Button or Palmer can do a better job.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3385 on: September 15, 2022, 08:24:15 PM »
But that's because he took a break for a couple of months, and then apparently tripped off his kid's scooter. In his podcast he says he feels in good nick.
Don't know what we have to lose offering him a short contract, unless we're confident Button or Palmer can do a better job.

And how many games would you expect him to play in a condensed Championship season? Do you have any idea whatsoever what our current wage bill is? How much it would take to get Foster to do us a 'favour'?

Look, Ben Foster is my favourite Albion goalkeeper bar none. I just don't see him as being any more than a rotational keeper at best at this stage of his life. He's a big unit, he has a lot of mileage on the clock and throwing yourself around with his frame is no easy thing.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3386 on: September 15, 2022, 11:19:53 PM »
And how many games would you expect him to play in a condensed Championship season? Do you have any idea whatsoever what our current wage bill is? How much it would take to get Foster to do us a 'favour'?

Look, Ben Foster is my favourite Albion goalkeeper bar none. I just don't see him as being any more than a rotational keeper at best at this stage of his life. He's a big unit, he has a lot of mileage on the clock and throwing yourself around with his frame is no easy thing.
With Foster I don't think money is the main motivator. Its more about living with his family by Leamington, no long commutes, or living away during the week. That's why he turned down an offer from Newcastle.
Given his affinity with the club, I can't see the problem in making him an offer. If it doesn't suit him, he won't do it. He knows his body better than anyone.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3387 on: September 16, 2022, 07:40:23 AM »
With Foster I don't think money is the main motivator. Its more about living with his family by Leamington, no long commutes, or living away during the week. That's why he turned down an offer from Newcastle.
Given his affinity with the club, I can't see the problem in making him an offer. If it doesn't suit him, he won't do it. He knows his body better than anyone.

I don't know how much of his podcast you listened to but he didn't turn down Newcastle as such. They rejected his initial wage demands and  there was no further discussion.

Granted he asked for a premium given the inconvenience of travel time, uprooting himself and because moving/commuting would have taken a huge chunk out of his day due to personal and commercial commitments (family, podcasts and presumably cycling with his mates).

But the simple truth is he'd have been open to the inconvenience to himself and his family if the money was right. He basically says as such himself. And I don't necessarily blame him especially given his age and the battering his body will have taken over the years.

His head doesn't appear to be in football anymore and let's face it, we've got more than enough money going out of the club to people whose primary concern is themselves. Especially given he may not be able to train as hard as when younger and be available for every game.

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #3388 on: September 16, 2022, 09:08:33 AM »
We should have been on the phone to him, simple as that. Even athis age he is head and shoulders above our current keepers.

If he has retired then I can only wish him all the best. My favourite Albion keeper by a country mile
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

Baggiee_Boyy_Benn

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3389 on: September 16, 2022, 09:43:50 AM »
I don't know how much of his podcast you listened to but he didn't turn down Newcastle as such. They rejected his initial wage demands and  there was no further discussion.

Granted he asked for a premium given the inconvenience of travel time, uprooting himself and because moving/commuting would have taken a huge chunk out of his day due to personal and commercial commitments (family, podcasts and presumably cycling with his mates).

But the simple truth is he'd have been open to the inconvenience to himself and his family if the money was right. He basically says as such himself. And I don't necessarily blame him especially given his age and the battering his body will have taken over the years.

His head doesn't appear to be in football anymore and let's face it, we've got more than enough money going out of the club to people whose primary concern is themselves. Especially given he may not be able to train as hard as when younger and be available for every game.

I think you need to watch the whole YouTube video Ben uploaded, not the snippet Newcastle came back and matched Ben’s wage demand, he then decline it as it didn’t feel right.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3390 on: September 16, 2022, 09:51:54 AM »
I think you need to watch the whole YouTube video Ben uploaded, not the snippet Newcastle came back and matched Ben’s wage demand, he then decline it as it didn’t feel right.

Fair enough, I only watched the first seven minutes before getting bored to tears. Podcasts really aren't my thing. No patience  ;D .

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3391 on: September 16, 2022, 01:58:38 PM »
We could have done worse than give him a year long contract.
Based on the fact he’s pushing 40,and he has taken the decision to retire..
If we had given him a year and he made some bad errors in a couple of matches …
How long before it’s Bruce’s/Gourlays/Lai’s fault for giving contracts to player clearly past their prime ?
Everyone moans about Phillips and Livermore…then asks to repeat it.
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3392 on: September 16, 2022, 03:44:37 PM »
Based on the fact he’s pushing 40,and he has taken the decision to retire..
If we had given him a year and he made some bad errors in a couple of matches …
How long before it’s Bruce’s/Gourlays/Lai’s fault for giving contracts to player clearly past their prime ?
Everyone moans about Phillips and Livermore…then asks to repeat it.

Just a question if he would supply competition to Button and Palmer, or help improve them.

I think he would. 

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3393 on: September 16, 2022, 05:02:16 PM »
Just a question if he would supply competition to Button and Palmer, or help improve them.

I think he would.

David Button turns 34 in February. The window of opportunity for his improvement is a short one.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3394 on: September 16, 2022, 06:29:13 PM »

Dan, he asked for a premium from Newcastle,  because deep down, he didn't want to move out of his Midlands comfort zone.   He said when he got out of bed the next day (this is starting to sound like a romantic novel  ???), he knew he'd made the right decision. For Foster, his family, podcasts, cycling with his mates, and being based in the Midlands are all important. A contract with us could maybe have allowed him to have all that.  Only a couple of weeks ago he was dropping several hints about being interested.

Sure, its an extra wage for the club, and there would come a point where we'd have to say no, but I don't think he'd be looking for a premium. A No.9 remains our top priority, but we had some money ready for a couple of midfielders as well as Kelly,  despite goalkeeper being an equal priority with those.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3395 on: September 17, 2022, 12:04:11 AM »
Dan, he asked for a premium from Newcastle,  because deep down, he didn't want to move out of his Midlands comfort zone.   He said when he got out of bed the next day (this is starting to sound like a romantic novel  ???), he knew he'd made the right decision. For Foster, his family, podcasts, cycling with his mates, and being based in the Midlands are all important. A contract with us could maybe have allowed him to have all that.  Only a couple of weeks ago he was dropping several hints about being interested.

Sure, its an extra wage for the club, and there would come a point where we'd have to say no, but I don't think he'd be looking for a premium. A No.9 remains our top priority, but we had some money ready for a couple of midfielders as well as Kelly,  despite goalkeeper being an equal priority with those.

He's not coming back.

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3396 on: February 13, 2023, 03:29:41 PM »
Spurs apparently made a move for Foster but the FA wouldn't sanction a deal if they tried to sign him.
I don't know the thinking of the FA but if he's good enough for Spurs to consider why arent we knocking his door down?

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3397 on: March 23, 2023, 10:40:58 AM »
Coming out of retirement to play for Wrexham on a short term deal according to O'Rourke.

Maybe it's the Ryan Reynolds effect.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #3398 on: March 23, 2023, 11:15:20 AM »
Coming out of retirement to play for Wrexham on a short term deal according to O'Rourke.

Maybe it's the Ryan Reynolds effect.
Yes - handy contacts for Ben's podcast/media career.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3399 on: March 23, 2023, 12:08:40 PM »
Yes - handy contacts for Ben's podcast/media career.

I wouldn't mind Blake Livelys contact details  ;D