Author Topic: Ben Foster  (Read 774633 times)

Backofthenet

• Junior Baggie

Re: Ben Foster
« Reply #3050 on: July 02, 2018, 02:30:55 PM »
It seems we are starting to get annual problems with pre-season training camps. I don't really understand the need to go away to places where essentially most of us would go on holiday too. We have a training set up so why not use it. That surely negates all the excuses and reasons not to go and should the odd player not be there, for whatever reason it is far easier monitored.
When we're at work we might occasionally all go to the pub, and sometimes one or two don't go, but there is no hue and cry over it as they will be back in work the next day. I know it's not exactly the same but for ease of management (and cost) would it not be better to stay in the country where you will play and also acclimatise to regular sessions. In Portugal they didn't even train in the afternoon probably due to the heat - they did morning and evening.
 That also stopped the need to go out and taxis could run freely in the area without the fear of being nicked.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3051 on: July 02, 2018, 02:46:51 PM »
I’m sure there is substance in what you say as there is no accounting for other people’s logic, but you have to question the judgement in jumping to a conclusion based on someone else’s representation, presumption, perception of a story and the vested interest they have in selling stories.

And yet there is acceptance of the “story” as being gospel without giving the benefit of the doubt to one of the best and most loyal of servants the club has.

Personally, I will not be a reactive and follow the rest of the flock, but will wait until the club and the player, those who are in possession of the full and true facts behind the events, have made public statements.

Believe what you like but John Percy reporting that Foster refused to go to Portugal amid interest from Watford.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/07/02/west-brom-goalkeeper-ben-foster-edges-towards25m-transfer-watford/

The ducks appear to be falling into line to substantiate that fact.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

wba1993dave

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3052 on: July 02, 2018, 02:52:19 PM »
Good Riddance. Hopefully Dawson and McClean next.
BOING BOING

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3053 on: July 02, 2018, 02:54:40 PM »
Good Riddance. Hopefully Dawson and McClean next.

I feel the same. Been good for us at times but if they want out I don't see the point in keeping unhappy players at the club just to teach them a lesson.
The lesson we tried to teach Berahino cost us £10m. Take the best offer and cut them loose I say.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3054 on: July 02, 2018, 02:55:03 PM »
Believe what you like but John Percy reporting that Foster refused to go to Portugal amid interest from Watford.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/07/02/west-brom-goalkeeper-ben-foster-edges-towards25m-transfer-watford/

Yes, he is one of a few journalists I have time for, but I’ll still wait for an official statement about the reasons for Foster not attending the training camp
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

SirTonyM

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3055 on: July 02, 2018, 03:10:31 PM »
Always really liked Foster and he’s been a brilliant keeper for us and seems like decent bloke. His comments about loyalty at the end of last season and the subsequent behaviour has put me off. If you want to play in the premier league keep your mouth shut and head down and people will have more respect and good will towards you. Reminds me of Mowbray before he jumped ship for Celtic.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #3056 on: July 02, 2018, 03:18:18 PM »

absoultely shocking if true, shame on you foster. never rated you anyway.
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3057 on: July 02, 2018, 05:20:34 PM »

absoultely shocking if true, shame on you foster. never rated you anyway.

He was the singular player i honestly thought got us and was down for staying whatever. The only thought i have that even half allows this is that DM told him we were looking at getting in another 1st choice and Ben wants to play. But i doubt that's the case.

So very let down by Ben here, i think he may well be the last player i believe in any presser again.
Whenever things look bad, remember the Port Vale, Grimsby and Walsall days... not so bad now, eh?!

Formally Solo_Baggie, now one ID for all Baggie internet input

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #3058 on: July 02, 2018, 05:28:33 PM »
Fozzie saved many points for us.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3059 on: July 02, 2018, 05:43:17 PM »
Said months ago Foster wouldn't drop down. Mot remotely surprised.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3060 on: July 02, 2018, 05:57:46 PM »
Guy on twitter claiming Foster is being pushed out get his wages off the books and is gutted to leave so who knows what’s really going on (@tommowba)   Either way if he’s close to signing for Watford then it made sense for him to miss the Portugal trip. Such a sad way for a great career at the Albion to end. Wasn’t his fault our strikers couldn’t score in a brothel which got us relegated.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #3061 on: July 02, 2018, 06:06:05 PM »
Fozzie saved many points for us.
Top draw over the years , lets hope we can replace him properly.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

kirk

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3062 on: July 02, 2018, 06:38:16 PM »
Shame top servent to the club but will now never be welcomed back
It's easy to have faith in yourself and have discipline when you're a winner, when you're number one. What you got to have is faith and discipline when you're not a winner.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3063 on: July 02, 2018, 06:45:59 PM »
one knee injury from probably having to call it a day, champ probably a bit heavy duty, but why open your silly gob about loyalty unless you're going to stick to it?  I wonder what his kids think?  instant watford fans??

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3064 on: July 02, 2018, 06:46:07 PM »
Guy on twitter claiming Foster is being pushed out get his wages off the books and is gutted to leave so who knows what’s really going on (@tommowba)   Either way if he’s close to signing for Watford then it made sense for him to miss the Portugal trip. Such a sad way for a great career at the Albion to end. Wasn’t his fault our strikers couldn’t score in a brothel which got us relegated.
think this is bollo had his head turned and threw his toys out of pram, always thought of him as top pro but he can jog on as far as I'm concerned total moron in my opinion.

smosher34

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3065 on: July 02, 2018, 06:58:41 PM »
Going for 2.5 million says reports thats a steel 😦

SirTonyM

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3066 on: July 02, 2018, 07:01:48 PM »

Pay cut to stay if it means that much to him?

BaggieBirdRus

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3067 on: July 02, 2018, 07:13:51 PM »
Going for 2.5 million says reports thats a steel 😦

For a 35 year old injury prone Goalkeeper?
Ohhhhh Albion we love you!

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3068 on: July 02, 2018, 07:22:43 PM »
For a 35 year old injury prone Goalkeeper?

That's the thing with Foster he's 35 years old now and one bad injury possibly away from retirement. A 46 game Championship season would be a real strain on him. If we can replace him with Johnstone that's good business by the club, bringing in a 25 year old for a net loss of only £4 million (based on reports). 25 is young for a goalkeeper and we could get potentially ten seasons out of him.

Foster has been a great 'keeper for us, right up there with Russel Hoult and Tony Godden as the best I've seen at the Albion but no-one goes on forever and now is the right time to replace him.

Just a shame that he's decided to act like a tit right at the end of his career with us. Leaves a bit of a sour taste.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #3069 on: July 02, 2018, 07:51:57 PM »
I've always liked the bloke but had the impression that he's a very good keeper but not that switched on in football matters (based on his own comment that he's not really a football fan and doesn't watch it at home). I was irritated at the time when he was the first one to give Moore his full backing and talk about staying and getting us back up. I wasn't expecting this turn of events but let's just get it over with and move on.

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3070 on: July 02, 2018, 08:37:58 PM »
As much as what he's done is a pr1ck move, he is irreplaceable. Without a doubt our best player last season and not for the first time. If Johnstone comes in, then at least we have a good keeper coming in but he's not Fosters level yet. Of course, has the potential to become a very lucrative investment if we tie him down to a long contract.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3071 on: July 02, 2018, 08:39:48 PM »
Just a shame he had to open his gob.
Can't help but think hes done it for the money. A premier League wage against a Championship wage

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3072 on: July 02, 2018, 08:40:43 PM »
After my irrational "get rid of them both" reaction to Foster and Dawson i actually now realise there's a second side to this story and i'd be gutted if he goes. Hope we can iron this out and sign Johnstone!

Dudleylad

• WBA Chairman

« Reply #3073 on: July 02, 2018, 08:49:54 PM »
Just a shame he had to open his gob.
Can't help but think hes done it for the money. A premier League wage against a Championship wage

This is my view if he knew Johnstone is or could be about to come just go with the flow.on pre season training and no one would have held the move against him as they would have deemed it a club decision.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #3074 on: July 02, 2018, 08:59:00 PM »
Don't let the door hit you on the way out..

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom