Author Topic: Coronavirus Thread - Games resuming 20 June - CLUB RELATED ONLY  (Read 265273 times)

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

There is no doubt the suspension is necessary, though maybe a week early in this country. The season will not be voided, they will either finish it late or award Liverpool the title and promote us and Leeds into a 22 team division. They'll let the EFL fend for themselves imo.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

My original point remains. I don't want anyone to get it. Stopping football while everyone's getting hammered together in pubs clubs etc is virtually pointless.

Foster#1

• Reserve Baggie

With the news about over 70s I think that confirms nothing for at least 4 months

Roy a prem manager is over 70!

Foster#1

• Reserve Baggie

Italian FA have said they want Euros pushed back so they can finish domestic league.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

My original point remains. I don't want anyone to get it. Stopping football while everyone's getting hammered together in pubs clubs etc is virtually pointless.

But Football is an organisational things and they can do everything they can stave off the threat of coronavirus. Pubs are different thing altogether and it's also down to the integrity of the individuals.

Klopp summed it up best for me, he said if ending the season can save 1 life then that's enough.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

crazedwbafan18

• Senior Baggie

I'm not going to panic about this because being rational, collected and calm about this is the best way we will get through this tough spell. I have arthritis; an autoimmune condition, and therefore i am in one of the 'at risk' categories even though i'm a 27 year guy in generally pretty good health. I'm not taking any risks as of last Friday, and i'm going to spend time going between my flat and our family home in Snowdonia until this passes. Being out and about only presents risks not just to yourself but then to others, and lets be honest, no one can confidently say that most people will just have mild symptoms as the virus itself is poorly understood. This is the time to be doing online learning, watch boxsets and get out in the open air, for walks and if it's 3 months of doing it then that's what we need to do. Stay away from any large social gatherings, as a planet we need to just shut down for a few months as far as is reasonably practical to get past COVID-19. Call your friends on facetime, take care of your mental health and just ride this whole thing out. Stay safe and healthy everyone.

jazzswinger

• WBA Newbie

If season stops, I would go for an average league position after each game played. 1st = 1 point.  League is then arranged lowest points tally at top, highest points tally at bottom. That surely would work out fair for teams like us and Scousers???

gazberg

• WBA Manager

But Football is an organisational things and they can do everything they can stave off the threat of coronavirus. Pubs are different thing altogether and it's also down to the integrity of the individuals.

Klopp summed it up best for me, he said if ending the season can save 1 life then that's enough.

Totally agree with the sentiment but no way that could ever be proven.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

Italian FA have said they want Euros pushed back so they can finish domestic league.

Yes this is what seems to be the more sensible option.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

Top footy lawyer says season being voided very unlikely. Too many legal ramifications. Expect season to resume in a few months.

https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/coronavirus-premier-league-more-likely-to-be-postponed-than-cancelled-leading-sports-lawyer-says-2451360

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

Totally agree with the sentiment but no way that could ever be proven.

Obviously. Proving that somebody didn't get a virus because they didn't go the football would definitely be hard to prove. You could prove that somebody did get it by going though. How? Look at Israel's approach. I'm not condoning that by any stretch of the imagination, just offering a counterpoint.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Powelly

• Reserve Baggie

Top footy lawyer says season being voided very unlikely. Too many legal ramifications. Expect season to resume in a few months.

https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/coronavirus-premier-league-more-likely-to-be-postponed-than-cancelled-leading-sports-lawyer-says-2451360

I don't understand why people are looking to next season when we have not completed this one yet? Surely it's common sense to complete this season (whenever that may be) and then once completed, have a meeting and discuss what we do for next season then.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

Exactly and i hope that is the common sense people use. You cannot start the next season until the current one is finished. Simple logic.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

I know these are extreme circumstances, but I really do not understand how the standpoint of just voiding the season is even a thing. We aren't five games in here, we are at a point whereby in most leagues there are fewer than ten games to go, you cannot just say that the 8 months you have spent playing all of those fixtures then suddenly count for absolutely nothing. Seems absurd to me.

baggiemart

• Youth Baggie

I agree. Voiding the season would create so much resentment towards the people who run football in this country.  But they have not got a good record. They have made a right mess of VAR where in other sports it works perfectly.

If they did void the season that means they would have to void our season tickets and all clubs would have to refund season ticket holders. That would mean financial ruin for a lot of clubs including us.

I would rather it played behind closed doors. If they did void the season i would have to seriously think if I would bother getting a season ticket again.

Its only the same case if we had extreme bad weather and no football could be played for a few months. Would they void the season then ??  No they would just extend the season.

timdon

• Senior Baggie

The problem I see is that, if the season started again in, say, July, some players would be out of contract, so all the squads would be different. What's more, those players would be free to sign for other clubs as they would be free agents. All the options come with big problems.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

Guys just seen some projections which I won't share because I cannot vouchsafe for their validity that suggests a peak in July and a fall off in infections to current levels not until September. It will take more than one season to recover the situation.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

Finish this season firstly.
Secondly,why not play 18 games next season including the Euros?
In other words one game at home the next away and so on?
A sort of half season.
Havnt really thought it through really but less league matches with plenty of time for champions league etc then Euros.

Andio

• Youth Baggie

All grassroots football has been suspended now as well.

alex1

• WBA Coach

I hope that the rest of the season can be finished behind closed doors if necessary. With potentially masses of people confined to their homes, it would be a little bit of entertainment for fans to look forward to in what would otherwise be a very dull time. You could easily adapt the iFollow streaming service so everyone had access to games. You'd hope that showing live games in pubs would be banned. 

The only proviso is that the health of players and ground staff should be protected, in which case all those should be compulsory tested for the virus, with anyone positive banned from the ground. 

I hope the Euros get postponed so that leagues in Europe can finish their programmes, and then delay the start of the next season.

Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

Aixelsyd

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

I've read of some interesting suggestions on how they should handle this (not necessarily just about the Prem & EFL)

1) Season stops now with ALL un-played games considered  0-0 draws..  Table places confirmed for CL, Euro qualifications etc... No play-offs...  Top 3 promoted and bottom 3 relegated (or as many as normal league)

2) Season completes when possible... normal Promotion, play-offs and Relegation... next season start at a suitable time afterwards and becomes  a mini competition...... Teams are drawn into regional(ish) groups of 5 or 6 (depending on numbers) and play each other Home & Away... then, depending on weeks available, a final series can be decided on.   All Top teams in mini groups play off for the Top 4 places (CL spots etc), all the 2nd places for the 5th to 8th... etc etc all the way down to relegation spots.

Thoughts

On a roundel paly of thirteen argent and azure a missel thrush perched on a hawthorn branch leaved and fructed proper.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

Most Leagues around Europe have no more than 10 games left and need a 5 to 6 week window to complete. These are the things that decide the future of clubs and as such take priority over everything else. Scrap CL/EL and Internationals. Sorry UEFA and the big clubs have to take the hit at the top end of the game where it best can be absorbed if that deflates players wages and fees a little well so be it. These are not normal times and are only set to get worse. 
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Barrington

• Reserve Baggie

A couple of options.

Cancel next season entirely and finish off this season in place of next season.

Or

Get a grip and finish off this season as soon as possible but advise the vulnerable to not attend games. Even play the games behind closed doors if they need to.

This could go on for the rest of the year or until a vaccine is released which will be next year. The government will eventually u-turn and tell us to go back to normal apart from the most vulnerable and we'll all be wondering why we wasted the chance to finish the season when it should have been finished. No way we all go on with the current measures for another 6-9 months, the world will cease to function.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

Coronavirus: 'In this current dark reality, sport doesn't matter but it does'

I enjoyed reading this article, because I think it expresses how most football and sports fans feel. We are addicted and being deprived of your addiction isn't easy to accept and copy with for some.

Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/51902553
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.